PDA

View Full Version : Long weekend Black Bear Hunt

jtred
05-13-2016, 01:59 PM
The final modifications to my pack cart are completed, gear has been checked, rifle checked out at the range, supplies bought and now I have only to pack up on Thursday and I'm ready. My hunting partner and I are headed into the high country for a long weekend spot and stalk black bear adventure. We'll be heading about 4.5km up a road closure with lots of cutblocks, logging roads/skidder trails, ridges and bowls, lots of areas to hike and glass. We've been going into the same area for the past few years and have a great little camp tucked away with an incredible view of Kootenay lake to the west and mountain peaks all around. I'm really looking forward to it. Since we'll be hiking up the road we can use my game cart which I have modified so I can harness myself to it for going uphill, also added galvanized mesh to the frame so deboned animals can be carried easier. We used it last year and it was a treat even without these changes. Two packs complete with all the gear for two guys(2 tents, sleeping systems,food, clothing, rifles, etc) plus a bear and it was so well balanced that coming down it was literally a one hand on the handle deal. Another bonus is that with the cart we can pack a few luxuries along making it by far our most comfortable pack trip of the year.
The only thing missing is ammunition for my 25-06rem which I was planning on using again for this years bear hunt. I'm fresh out of the 115gr Nosler Partition by Federal(used up the final few resighting my rifle back from the 85gr predator cartridges I use for coyote and wolf) and even though I ordered them over a month ago I've now been told they're on back order. Well I guess I'll just have to use my 270win, it gets used way more anyhow and is a better rifle but I really wanted to use the 25-06 to kill another bear. Anyhow just a few more days and off we go. Have a good Victoria Day long weekend everyone.

BiG Boar
05-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Did you say black bear hunt? Or do you mean grizzly?

jtred
05-13-2016, 03:20 PM
Did you say black bear hunt? Or do you mean grizzly?
Black bear. I've never been all that interested in hunting grizzly and 4-06 doesn't have a grizzly season, not yet anyhow. Lots of grizzly around but there's also lots of black bears up there. If I ever do get the itch to hunt grizzly I think I'll use that for an excuse to buy the 300wm I'm trying to convince myself I need.

Wentrot
05-13-2016, 06:51 PM
Sounds like a good time. I'm jealous!

klondikemike
05-13-2016, 07:14 PM
I wish you luck. If you do manage to get lucky it sure would be nice to take lots of pictures of you using your cart and how it works Thanks Mike

jtred
05-13-2016, 08:12 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5781&stc=1
I wish you luck. If you do manage to get lucky it sure would be nice to take lots of pictures of you using your cart and how it works Thanks Mike
Here's a picture of last year headed down the mountain. I added two wooden shovel handles to make it easier to pull before that trip and now it has a quick release system allowing me to attach it to the belt on my daypack for easier pulling on the uphill sections. I also put galvanized mesh on the underside of the cart so gear and deboned animals don't slip through.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5782&stc=1 This is the view from camp to the west. We have a creek about 100m directly behind us and a terrific cooking area protected by a large rock and a small copse of trees just out of this picture to the right.

Brew
05-13-2016, 08:24 PM
That's a good setup you got there. You just gave me some good ideas

375shooter
05-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Memories, and time spent planning! That's what it's all about! I'm glad you're having fun! Looks like you have a good spot and a good method. Whatever it takes to get away from the crowds, eh? It's worth it!

klondikemike
05-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Pretty nice for sure. I'll have to make up something along that line for packing chainsaw and gas and coolers for one of our canoe trips we take every year. Going to have to go with wider tires as the ground here in the swampy areas cant hold up the weight. About 5 km for a 38 km trip Thanks again.

albravo2
05-13-2016, 08:55 PM
Great setup and beauty place to camp.

BC really is the best place in the world to live. And hunt.

jtred
05-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Memories, and time spent planning! That's what it's all about! I'm glad you're having fun! Looks like you have a good spot and a good method. Whatever it takes to get away from the crowds, eh? It's worth it!
It's a good spot for spring bear for sure. I've never seen anyone up there during the spring season, it's pretty busy during the fall but even then it's not hard to get away from people. Not many guys bother with the road closures for bear but I really like not hearing any traffic or seeing anybody while I'm hunting. This year I'm going to drag my camp up there and stay until I find a nice mule deer, or elk, or a spike/fork moose.... whatever I'm kind of an opportunistic hunter. If I have a tag and it's been a good hunt I will shoot.

jtred
05-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Well everything is packed up and early tomorrow morning we'll be heading up the mountain for the weekend. We'll hopefully get onto a few bears. My hunting partner only wants a BIG blackie or or a nice colour phase. Myself I'm more interested in hams, burger, and smokies. Anyhow good luck to everyone heading out this weekend. Stay safe.

604Stalker
05-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Goodluck! Weather seems to be holding out.

375shooter
05-20-2016, 08:27 PM
I hope you get one. Let us know how it goes.

TrickleCharger
05-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Well jtred how was the trip??

jtred
05-24-2016, 08:22 PM
We hit the road by 6:30am Saturday and had the truck parked and we were all geared by around 8:00am. The hike in was really nice, the rain had stopped but was cool and overcast, better then last year when it was 28C. We got into our camp after a leisurely hike in and if the sun doesn't make a very welcome appearance. It's great setting up when the sun is shining. Got some extra wood in and had a cup of tea, a bite of lunch and then spent the afternoon hiking old logging trails glassing openings and some nice cuts. Came across some good sized bear scat but no bears to be had. Watched some elk, saw a few mule deer, ran into some crazy mountain bikers, all in all a great afternoon. Headed back up to camp for the evening, a couple of beers and moose kebabs grilled over the fire. Around 9:00pm it started to rain and shortly after I hit the tent it really started to rain. It rained hard all night and right up until 4:00pm when we were headed home. It didn't really make much sense to stay for the extra night and basically just hang out in our fire shelter trying to stay dry. It was pretty socked in with limited visibility. It was a pretty great weekend even with getting rained out.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5820&stc=1