PDA

View Full Version : Albert River MU 4-25

Ron.C
05-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Good day all.

I hunted up in the Albert River VCA a few years back for spring griz, and the following Sept for goats.

I know the bridge over the Palliser is out thanks to the flooding some time ago.

My question to those who are familiar with this area is

In late Sept\ early Oct, can a guy walk across the river where the bridge was to access the road on the other side?

I'd like to get back up into this VCA using my mountain bike as transport and hunt the headwaters of the Albert.

Thanks

mtnmanmike
05-12-2016, 01:17 PM
There are two bridges there. The first is to cross the Palliser, the second to cross the Albert. Are you looking to cross just the Palliser and take one of the two roads two the right in between the two bridges? This is definitely possible at that time of year as long as there hasn't been any substantial rainfall at that time. If you cross upstream of where the bridge was, the water is a fairly constant depth of about mid thigh. As far as going, across the Albert, you might be able to cross a little more upstream (200 yds'ish maybe more). The water is a little deeper on the near side as there is a slight bend in the river at that point where the bridge crosses. I'll make a call to a friend who works for Canfor as a woods foreman and ask if they have put back in any of those bridges yet. I know they have put in a fair amount since the flood in 2013.

Ron.C
05-12-2016, 04:34 PM
I'm mostly concerned about the first bridge over the Palliser, but I would also have to cross the Albert above its old bridge location. Pretty sure I know where that one can be crossed...

Thanks Mike

BC Cruiser
05-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Their is a plan to replace the first bridge over the Palliser upstream of the old location, also two other bridges, along with repairing two sections of the Albert FSR, this fall. These projects will most likely occur in the fisheries timing windows this fall. Aug 20 to mid October I think. These projects are half funded by the federal gov and half provincial, as this 2013 event qualified for embc event criteria.

These projects will be managed by the forest service engineering staff out of cranbrook, Rocky Mountain district. That being said, their will be a lot of construction most likely occurring there this fall. I would check thats districts website or give them a call. The active construction sites and temporary structures that will be utilized, often do not allow for public use. So it all depends on your timing.

andrewheth
05-15-2016, 11:36 PM
I hunted that area about 3 years ago and the bridge was out then. We camped at the rec site at the albert/palliser confluence. We saw some guys float their quads across the palliser looked real dicey. They said before the motor vehicle closure point on the Albert FSR the road had slid and was a walking trail from there on. Good Luck! One of my favourite areas......lots of G bears

Ron.C
05-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the detailed description.

Their is a plan to replace the first bridge over the Palliser upstream of the old location, also two other bridges, along with repairing two sections of the Albert FSR, this fall. These projects will most likely occur in the fisheries timing windows this fall. Aug 20 to mid October I think. These projects are half funded by the federal gov and half provincial, as this 2013 event qualified for embc event criteria.

These projects will be managed by the forest service engineering staff out of cranbrook, Rocky Mountain district. That being said, their will be a lot of construction most likely occurring there this fall. I would check thats districts website or give them a call. The active construction sites and temporary structures that will be utilized, often do not allow for public use. So it all depends on your timing.