PDA

View Full Version : Bino Harnesses

kush
05-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Considering a new purchase

Do you us a bino harness?
Do you love/hate them? Why?

Can you wear it with your pack on? It seem like it would get in the way of your chest and shoulder straps

Thx

Twogunns
05-12-2016, 11:25 AM
Harness is the only way to go. It gets the weight off your neck. I Put it on before the pack goes on and have no issues. Money well spent!

t-rexer
05-12-2016, 11:31 AM
X2. Its almost a must have

wideopenthrottle
05-12-2016, 11:36 AM
just waiting for someone to say you don't need bino's anyway so we can have another argument errr debate thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Elkaholic
05-12-2016, 11:41 AM
I use a crooked horn bino harness and have grown to hate how it bounces my binos all over the place. I have been looking to replace it in the last year or so. There are others out there that will do a better job but I am going minimalist with it and getting one of the rick young outdoors ultralight bino harness. Less stretch and very simple design to not really get in the way. Just giving you some options.

metalface
05-12-2016, 11:47 AM
get one. also nice for keeping licenses, earplugs, w/e handy.

RackStar
05-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Must have.
I use the vortex one.

AgSilver
05-12-2016, 12:20 PM
My experience is limited, but I recently got the BinoBro from Oregon Packworks and I love it. They're so handy to have right there. I'd looked at the Kuiu and one or two others, but came down in favour of the Bro. Just preferred the design and some of the reviews I read helped to sway it over.

russm86
05-12-2016, 12:34 PM
I have tried several bino harnesses over the years including the badlands and other higher end ones but the nicest to use and most comfortable by far has been the cheaper cabelas brand ones.

TreeStandMan
05-12-2016, 12:39 PM
For the past two seasons I've used the Vortex harness. It's way more comfortable than a neck strap, and it doesn't interfere with my pack at all.

Ourea
05-12-2016, 12:44 PM
The Badlands harness and case with the magnetic closer r quite popular.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/bino_zpsxfnhbldk.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/browndog100/media/bino_zpsxfnhbldk.jpg.html)

They do a great job of protecting ur glass, especially in nasty conditions.
I used these a couple times and ended up throwing them in the garage.

Personally, I find them too noisy when the magnetic fastener "pops" when opened and closed.
It also creates one more "step" to get ur glasses on an animal.
I want to get eyes on an animal as quickly as possible ...especially if it is an unexpected encounter.
With that in mind I use a basic harness with a simple top lens cap that's connected.

I personally want a quick, quiet and efficient harness system that affords instant access.
That extra two or three seconds of having glass on an animal can make or break a decision to shoot if ur after a "numbers" buck or bull.
Anyway, that's my preference after using numerous setups.

wideopenthrottle
05-12-2016, 12:55 PM
The Badlands harness and case with the magnetic closer r quite popular.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/bino_zpsxfnhbldk.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/browndog100/media/bino_zpsxfnhbldk.jpg.html)

They do a great job of protecting ur glass, especially in nasty conditions.
I used these a couple times and ended up throwing them in the garage.

Personally, I find them too noisy when the magnetic fastener "pops" when opened and closed.
It also creates one more "step" to get ur glasses on an animal.
I want to get eyes on an animal as quickly as possible ...especially if it is an unexpected encounter.
With that in mind I use a basic harness with a simple top lens cap that's connected.

I personally want a quick, quiet and efficient harness system that affords instant access.
That extra two or three seconds of having glass on an animal can make or break a decision to shoot if ur after a "numbers" buck or bull.
Anyway, that's my preference after using numerous setups.

yikes....that magnetic closure is right where my compass would be when doing a quick check....a very important something to consider for me..thx

carson
05-12-2016, 01:16 PM
Bino harnesses are great and a person can make their own for a song! YouTube diy bino harness. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBe6_0zK8s

itsy bitsy xj
05-12-2016, 01:26 PM
When I bought my Ziess binos I notices the weight on my neck (I used to just use mini binos but bought 10x42) so I bought a cheap harness at P/A and love it. I can wear while driving or riding the atv . Its a must have!

wideopenthrottle
05-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Bino harnesses are great and a person can make their own for a song! YouTube diy bino harness. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBe6_0zK8s

quick and easy...i'll try making one with some webbing... thx for the vid link

gmachine19
05-12-2016, 02:50 PM
I use the s4 gear lockdown harness. Really nice and quick deployment. I believe international shooting supplies in surrey have them.

http://s4gear.com/products/lockdown/

Big Rich
05-12-2016, 03:37 PM
I use the Vortex one! It's great and keeps the weight off my neck.

REMINGTON JIM
05-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Must have.
I use the vortex one.

I have one also - Works WELL ! RJ

Useyourfeet
05-12-2016, 04:58 PM
FHF harness is the best I've used to date, hill people gear original kit bag is great too. The badlands or elastic style are a distant third for me and I've owned them all.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
05-12-2016, 09:27 PM
I just bought the Butler Creek Bino Caddy non deluxe for my Swaro 10 x 42 el . no review yet . .sorry ..

BCbuckhunter
05-12-2016, 09:43 PM
I Have Kuiu's bino harness. I've also used Sitka's but didn't like it. The kuiu harness is simple and works great. Alaska guide creations was the first to make a fully inclosed harness. haven't used one but they look really good.

donny.brooke
05-12-2016, 09:59 PM
I have used the badlands, kuiu, s4 and now have a alaska guide creations and its the best of the bunch imo.

knothead
05-13-2016, 06:06 AM
I like the looks of the Kuiu harness, is there somewhere in the lower mainland that carries them or do I have to order them up from the states?

Moose63
05-13-2016, 06:06 AM
I have used the badlands, kuiu, s4 and now have a alaska guide creations and its the best of the bunch imo.

Thanks Donny

Squamch
05-13-2016, 06:54 AM
I've got a vortex and I love it!

AgSilver
05-13-2016, 07:31 AM
I like the looks of the Kuiu harness, is there somewhere in the lower mainland that carries them or do I have to order them up from the states?

gotta order it

prconnection
05-13-2016, 10:02 PM
I have and use Alaskan Guide Creation cub for my el swaro's and love it

SR80
05-14-2016, 06:51 AM
AGC and FHF are the best in my opinion.

longrifle
05-14-2016, 11:22 AM
I picked up an FHF harness in 2012 and it is a very nice piece of kit...I also purchased their GPS pouch, works great, and am looking at getting their rangefinder pouch as well.

'rifle

Pinewood
05-14-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm rocking the Alaska Guide Creation for my 8X42's. They're great and have storage for license, lens pen, cell phone etc. Only thing I don't like is the chafing on my neck when I'm wearing only a tee shirt.

358mag
05-14-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm rocking the Alaska Guide Creation for my 8X42's. They're great and have storage for license, lens pen, cell phone etc. Only thing I don't like is the chafing on my neck when I'm wearing only a tee shirt.
The joys of wearing a small suit case ...

MBOGO
05-15-2016, 06:00 AM
Been using the Rick Young Outdoors ultra-light strap for the last year. I like it !

finaddict
05-16-2016, 12:37 PM
You will spend far more time glassing if you have a harness. A must have in my opinion. Your binos are always easily accessible on a harness and your neck will thank you . Lots on e-bay for pretty good prices.

AgSilver
05-16-2016, 01:08 PM
My experience is limited, but I recently got the BinoBro from Oregon Packworks and I love it. They're so handy to have right there. I'd looked at the Kuiu and one or two others, but came down in favour of the Bro. Just preferred the design and some of the reviews I read helped to sway it over.

Yeah, I just quoted myself.

I carried mine around a walk at Buntzen yesterday carrying the kiddo on my back (trying to get into shape for hunting/backpack camping season) and I honestly never noticed it unless I was using it. Not as heavy duty as some of the others (AGC, FHF, etc) but still has the little zippered pocket on the bottom and the two side pouches (slid my InReach into one side..handy).

I really like it.

tinbird
05-16-2016, 03:52 PM
Vortex harness, usually hunt with a light jacket or coat on so I just tuck binos inside to control any 'bouncing'. Only use a daypack, never had an issue.

Salix
05-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Alaska guide creations is a great case/ pack for my 10x42's. Doesn't bounce much and has a bit of storage for small things like license and a small knife etc. Good to take the weight off the neck no matter what brand of case you use.
J

ajr5406
05-20-2016, 08:10 AM
Been using the Rick Young Outdoors ultra-light strap for the last year. I like it !

MBOGO - is that the one that costs around $16? Where did you find one? I havent been able to find a retailer selling them.

Xenomorph
05-20-2016, 02:44 PM
Leupold S4, I don't leave without. Besides the bino function, it also has attachments for rangefinder, or calls. As mentioned, keeps weight of your neck and keeps your glass tight to body and out of harms way.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2vjprip.jpg

MBOGO
05-20-2016, 06:07 PM
ajr, They are $25. I got mine at SCI in Vegas, but he has a web site Rick Young Outdoors.

ajr5406
05-21-2016, 06:28 AM
ajr, They are $25. I got mine at SCI in Vegas, but he has a web site Rick Young Outdoors.

Good to know - thanks

RadHimself
05-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Nimrod outdoors binotopia is what i rock in the bush

http://www.nimrodoutdoor.com/n9system.html

BCbillies
05-29-2016, 09:07 PM
I've got both the Sitka and the KUIU and the good news is I didn't pay full price for either! Both are compact which I like compared to some I have seen. For my 8x42 I find the Sitka's a little on the tight side as far as getting the binos in and out. What I do like is they keep the bino fully encased and protected with the zipper closure. This makes them ideal for a gnarly coastal goat hunt although I likely wouldn't/haven't had the harness on when it gets really ugly. When the zipper is open the magnets are decent in keeping the lid closed. I have handed these down to my son for his 8x30 so they should work just fine for him. I just got the KUIU's and the 8x42's fit perfect and seem more compact on my chest than the Sitkas. The lid folds on and off quite easy and the bino's come in and out without much of a fight so I think these will be ideal for deer and sheep hunting. I'll test these out for 15 days in August!

sako79
05-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Alaskan guide outfitters is awesome