PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay camping

troutseeker
06-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Well not really a hunting thread but.... I am going camping in the Kootenay's mid-July. Only ever been there for work and I am looking for help ientifying campgrounds that are family friendly with fishing, hiking nad some "tourist" stuff to do too. Will be travelling with tent trailer, teen daughters, dog and wife.

Thanks, Troutseeker

Wildfoot
06-08-2007, 11:03 PM
christian valley has some nice rec spots. i went up there last week and was very impressed.

and its close to christina and osoyoos lake for some beach bumming. (or watching the beauties bums on the beachs haha)

BCBear
06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Will be travelling with tent trailer, tenn daughters, dog and wife.

Sounds like you need a motorhome, not a tent trailer:mrgreen:

Jelvis
06-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Wasa Lake, family stuff thats where my bro goes every year, near Cranbrook

Brambles
06-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Where in the Kootenays are you aiming for?

hunter1947
06-09-2007, 04:46 AM
The White Swan Lake is a nice place to stay ,it's not to far away from a nice natural hot springs.

sawmill
06-09-2007, 05:28 AM
Wasa is pretty crowded and noisy for me,Stony lake is real nice and has free camping and a pair of eagles nesting,I was out last weekend and we caught trout 2 to 3 .lbs.It`s easy to get to as well.P.M. me and I`ll show you how to get there.Joe.

model88
06-09-2007, 07:28 AM
The Elk Lakes is a very nice spot, little remote, but that keeps them pesky Albertans away:-D

Buckman
06-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Depends on what will keep the kids happy too. Wasa is good has a nice beach and a good bike pathe around the lake (8km) Has a short hiking trail up above the park that gets you a good view of the valley. Rock Lake (Lazy lake) behind Wasa is nice, more rustic gather your own firewood. Lots of rec sites up the valley, Johnson Lake, Tamarack Lake and another one I can't rememeber. kikomun Creek and Moyie Lake provincial Parks have hot showers and beaches and lots of biking paths but these are in high demand. Look up on the Forest Service district websites for maps of their rec sites and go from there. Have fun this is a great place to be!

troutseeker
06-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys. I knew I couuld count on you'z! Booked at Wasa from July 20 to 26, will do day trips to Ft.Steele, Cranbrook, Kimberley, Fernie and the area. I am hoping to get posted in that area once I'm done in K-town (5 more years), so this will be a reckie of sorts. Plus I'll finally get to wet a fly in the Elk too! After that it's off towards Golden to raft the Kicking Horse on our way home.

Cheers, Troutseeker

todbartell
06-09-2007, 08:47 PM
teen daughters you say?

Brambles
06-10-2007, 06:51 AM
My wife and I rafted the kicking horse last year at the end of June, it was awesome, There are 3 sections to the river and they get wilder as you go down, I suggest not buying the first section and going with the middle section , then make the decision then if you think you want to tackle the last section which is the longest stretch of continuous class 4 rapids in North America I have been told.

Have fun

Brambles

Brambles
06-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Here are some teasers, don't fear its not that often that people get thrown from the raft, ours was the only boat that day that someone went in the water unintentionally, there is a slow stretch on the middle section that they will let you jump out if you like, at least our tour company did! Watch out for the other paddlers to, my wife got smoked in the head twice buy one of our raftmates that wasn't paying attention to where their paddle was.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/168.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/190.jpg

Wildfoot
06-10-2007, 09:16 AM
i think my friend Julie still guides for kicking horse. If you have a super cute french chick guidin ya say hi for me :)

Just FYI :) Mount Robson Whitewater Rafting is a WAAAAY better company. And their photographer last year was the sexiest man alive. And the best fisherman in all of BC :) LOL

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8969/img0070og0.jpg

troutseeker
06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
teen daughters you say?

Yep, although they are still at the jailbait stage. You and BUM can stand in line and I'll unload them off to you guys once they reach their 20's. :twisted: They are both grumpy know-it all's who love to hunt/fish/shoot.

Glad to see you are going back to women...:biggrin:

Troutseeker