PDA

View Full Version : Mini truck hunting rig

cpearen
05-10-2016, 07:34 AM
I saw there was a little talk about mini trucks on here so I figured I'd post a few pictures of mine completed. I just finished it last weekend. Its a 1999 Suzuki carry 4x4, we bought it bone stock in September. It now has a 4" lift, 25" DOT approved tires on 12" beadlocks, custom front and rear bumpers, led back up lights, led tail lights, light bars in the front bumper, 4000 lb smittybilt winch, and a fully raptor linered body. I'm heading out this weekend to test it out and hopefully get a bear at the same time.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag350/cpearen/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsetoawhjg.jpeg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/cpearen/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsetoawhjg.jpeg.html)

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag350/cpearen/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqhwmwbpn.jpeg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/cpearen/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqhwmwbpn.jpeg.html)

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag350/cpearen/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscjjaf01x.jpeg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/cpearen/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscjjaf01x.jpeg.html)

And here is a picture of it before any of the work.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag350/cpearen/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6j0h5r9e.jpeg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/cpearen/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6j0h5r9e.jpeg.html)

If anyone has any questions about them, don't hesitate to send me a message. I'm more than willing to help.
Good luck out there everyone!

cpearen
05-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Oh and a skid plate at the front

Brew
05-10-2016, 08:28 AM
did you fab the front bumper yourself? It looks great. the whole thing looks like the perfect hunting rig. way to go.

Slinky Pickle
05-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Nice build! I've often thought that those little things would be the perfect bush rig.

Are you going to trailer it or try and drive it on the road? If you drive it, you will most likely get ticketed for a lack of fenders and no covers on your LED lights up front. The boys in blue have been pretty picky lately and that little rig of yours will probably attract some unwanted attention.

Your LED lights fit the height requirements for driving lights but since they probably aren't DOT approved (I haven't seen any yet that are) then they would be classed as "Off Road Lights" and must be covered during road travel. A few bolt on covers might save you a couple bucks if you get pulled over.

Again, nice rig!!

fuzzy 63
05-10-2016, 08:53 AM
nice !!!!!!!!!!. you have great vision and dedication to complete a project . my hat is off to you !
Next pics with a whole load of ham's and sausage !
have fun this weekend .
Cliff

.264winmag
05-10-2016, 09:06 AM
Great job on the build, looks sweet and should go anywhere you need!

RiverOtter
05-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Beauty rig....and has been mentioned, about the ideal dedicated hunting rig. A road legal, fully enclosed side by side...what's not to like. Great forward thinking too, with the Armaguard type paint job, should shrug branches like a bastid.

Be curious to hear your thoughts on the tires after some use; durability, handling and road noise.

RiverOtter
05-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Oh ya, forgot to mention, NO truck is complete until you bloody the tailgate.......:grin:

.264winmag
05-10-2016, 09:20 AM
The front tires are gonna leave the doors and windows caked in mud with no fenders! Love the paint job too, buddy did his entire avalanche in that stuff and looks wicked for a cruck lol

Backwoods
05-10-2016, 09:48 AM
Awesome build man!! I've always wanted to build one up!

cpearen
05-10-2016, 10:13 AM
did you fab the front bumper yourself? It looks great. the whole thing looks like the perfect hunting rig. way to go.

Yeah, I did. And the rear bumper too. I will post a picture of the rear tonight.

cpearen
05-10-2016, 10:14 AM
The front tires are gonna leave the doors and windows caked in mud with no fenders! Love the paint job too, buddy did his entire avalanche in that stuff and looks wicked for a cruck lol

The fender flares are on the way, they aren't exactly easy to find for these Japanese trucks. But we have ordered some.

cpearen
05-10-2016, 10:18 AM
Nice build! I've often thought that those little things would be the perfect bush rig.

Are you going to trailer it or try and drive it on the road? If you drive it, you will most likely get ticketed for a lack of fenders and no covers on your LED lights up front. The boys in blue have been pretty picky lately and that little rig of yours will probably attract some unwanted attention.

Your LED lights fit the height requirements for driving lights but since they probably aren't DOT approved (I haven't seen any yet that are) then they would be classed as "Off Road Lights" and must be covered during road travel. A few bolt on covers might save you a couple bucks if you get pulled over.

Again, nice rig!!

We will be trailering it 99% of the time. But just incase we have to drive it to town, it's insured. The tires aren't exactly great on pavement.

Squamch
05-10-2016, 10:19 AM
What does it weigh?
What kind of rear end is it? Drop out diff? Locker?
Part time 4wd? Real tcase with low range?
Could you take a couple pictures showing the steering linkage at the wheel end? Does it have a rack or a traditional steering box? How big are the tie rods and tie rod ends?
How is the lift achieved?

That paint is gonna be HOT and abrasive.

Good2bCanadian
05-10-2016, 11:23 AM
Cool build!

fuzzy 63
05-10-2016, 12:18 PM
The only worry with the abrasive paint should be near last call , and if your leaning against the box . :)
Cepearen , will look for you in traffic , if you see a black sammy with a couple of hot blondes in the back and a fella with a big smile on his face , give me a wave . oh and the hot blondes are two yellow labs on their way to the river .
Again , nice job .

fuzzy 63
05-10-2016, 12:21 PM
meant to say as well , I am in need of front bumper . Pm me and maybe we could look at doing a build .

barry1974w
05-10-2016, 08:27 PM
I think you're going to love it for a hunting rig. They're not great on the highway, but for putting around the bush they're great. And do it on a reasonable about of gas.

.264winmag
05-10-2016, 08:35 PM
The fender flares are on the way, they aren't exactly easy to find for these Japanese trucks. But we have ordered some.
I bet parts are not mainstream lol, built flares outta garden edging for the Duramax lol. Have fun with it, super jealous...

Buckmeister
05-10-2016, 09:15 PM
What??? Where's the gun rack??

Nice looking rig there. Does that "paint" come in different colors?

cpearen
05-11-2016, 06:51 AM
What??? Where's the gun rack??

Nice looking rig there. Does that "paint" come in different colors?

yes, the paint does come in a tintable option. Not sure how it works, but I know they have it.

cpearen
05-11-2016, 06:52 AM
The only worry with the abrasive paint should be near last call , and if your leaning against the box . :)
Cepearen , will look for you in traffic , if you see a black sammy with a couple of hot blondes in the back and a fella with a big smile on his face , give me a wave . oh and the hot blondes are two yellow labs on their way to the river .
Again , nice job .

Haha, I'll be looking for you

Big Hoss
05-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Nice rig. I like the idea of the tires your running. Where did you buy the paint from I have a Suzuki I would like to paint with the same kind of product

twanger
05-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Sweet Ride!!!!!!

BCMarc
05-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Looks sharp. Fixing to pick ours up in a few weeks.

cpearen
05-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Nice rig. I like the idea of the tires your running. Where did you buy the paint from I have a Suzuki I would like to paint with the same kind of product

It's called raptor liner, made by UPOL. I bought it at KMS on sale for $149.99.
Its really good stuff, just make sure you emphasis the prep. There are lots of YouTube videos about it. Sanding is key. You also need a paint sprayer for this kit, UPOL makes one, it's cheap.

Andrewh
05-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Did you lock the rear diff or at least weld it considering it is 99% trailored...

Also be very careful about the wheels, beadlocks are a cops best friend for getting a vehicle towed.

cpearen
05-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Did you lock the rear diff or at least weld it considering it is 99% trailored...

Also be very careful about the wheels, beadlocks are a cops best friend for getting a vehicle towed.

I have not locked it yet, but i do plan on it.
I won't be driving it much on the road either. But thanks for the heads up!

argyle1
05-12-2016, 08:01 AM
I was thinking to sell the ranger and buy a Sammi, but you have given me cause to rethink my options. This set up is awesome. I didn't know they came with independent suspension

Squamch
05-12-2016, 08:29 AM
What does it weigh?
Could you take a couple pictures showing the steering linkage at the wheel end? Does it have a rack or a traditional steering box? How big are the tie rods and tie rod ends?

All these questions again. How does the size of the diff gears (R&P) compare to say a samurai?

RiverOtter
05-12-2016, 09:03 AM
What does it weigh?

Mighta been easier to just ask him to build you one........:-P

Squamch
05-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Mighta been easier to just ask him to build you one........:-P

Why would I do that?

When someone posts something I'm not familiar with, but am interested in, I ask questions about it, in order to form an opinion. I've built a few wheelers, and worked on a lot more, I know a few things about modifying and building for off-road use. I'd like an idea of how effective one of these could be for my own purposes.

Xenomorph
05-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Someone was looking for a hunting rig?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/5583617195.html

Put some paddle tires on it and it will go anywhere.

bchunter181
05-13-2016, 10:25 AM
this thing is sweet!

ASPEN
05-13-2016, 11:32 AM

I was going to mention the legality of beadlocks whithout sounding critical- good job Andrew