PDA

View Full Version : Mountain tripods

Whisky Creek
06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Hey fellas.
Need opinions about which tripod would be the best for sheep hunting and why. It will be going under a Swarovski STS 65 HD.
Thanks,
CLINT

bigwhiteys
06-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Manfrotto 718 SHB - It's been recommended by others on here, I found mine on eBay for $99.00...

It's not the "lightest" tripod I have seen out there but it's very stable, and good quality. The quick release is a nice feature.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
06-09-2007, 08:02 AM
I agree with BW. While every mtn hunter tries his best to lighten their packs(even going to extreme measures sometimes:rolleyes:), a tripod under a relatively heavy spotter(I have the same one) is not somewhere you can scrimp on stability.

I love the four-piece legs on the 718shb. It's the same length as my spotter and they both fit in the same 18" side pocket. The tripod gives you the height you need while glassing off a steep hillside.

SSS

boxhitch
06-09-2007, 08:08 AM
W-C Have you already bought the scope ?
I think my next package is going to be an ATS (angled eyepiece) and a low bechrest type tripod. compact and stable, glassing from the prone position.
I tried the 718 recently and didn't like the lack of precision movement in the head, but it was stable once I got it on target. maybe a matter of getting used to.

bigwhiteys
06-09-2007, 08:30 AM
This tripod http://www.outdoorsmans.com/tripod.html is probably the best I've ever personally used... It's slightly bigger and heavier then the 718 SHB but the movement in the head is smoother and much more precise (the 718 is pretty good too)... It will cost you about 3x as much though.

Carl

StoneChaser
06-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Manfrotto 718 SHB - It's been recommended by others on here, I found mine on eBay for $99.00...

It's not the "lightest" tripod I have seen out there but it's very stable, and good quality. The quick release is a nice feature.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Count me in as another satisfied customer...

Whisky Creek
06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info fells. Anyone see any good deals on that 718 SHD? I see one on the net at Kerrisdale Cameras for $129.99. Using two bunched up pillows for a tripod is getting old real quick! Also, not to make some of you guys TOO frothy at the mouth, :mrgreen: but you wouldn't believe the deal I got on the scope and a set of Swarovski 10X42 EL bino's.
As usual, Wholesale Sports had the best price on both those items that I could find. Until, I enquired with ol' Andre at E&I Sports in PG, and found his sticker price on the scope to be $(lots) cheaper than WS, and his sticker price on the bino's was $(a bit) cheaper. When I asked about a better deal, he, understandably, wouldn't budge a nickel. Then, when I asked about a package deal, he dropped the price a further $(lotsmore), and threw in a set of Swarovski bino buddies and a hard case. I also then got my buddy to buy the other, and last, STS 65 HD he had in stock for $(awesome price). Yes, that price does include the 20 - 60 X (S) eyepiece! Well, I tell you, I could barely pull my wallet out fast enough, without making it look TOO obvious, before he changed his mind. $(not much dollars) for the scope, bino's, and the extra gear! Wholesale Sports' price for all that would have been almost $5200, plus both taxes now that the store is in Kamloops! I've bought a few rifle from E&I Sports now also, and he is usually a penny pincher when it comes to deals, but definately helped me out that day. Worth a look at his store if you are passing through Prince George ever! There, I've been the appreciative satisfied customer and given him and his store the plug that is rightfully due.
CLINT

Sitkaspruce
06-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Congrats on the deal, but you are the only person I know who has ever walked away from that store with a good taste in their mouth. They have always treated me like I know nothing and are trying to sell me stuff I do not need. Good job on the deal!!!

StoneChaser
06-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Hate to burst your bubble...but I'm guessing you didn't get the HD model (if you did they'd be the first they ever had in stock!)!

He's been selling those STS 65's in there for YEARS and has been selling them as the HD model. Problem is....they aren't (no HD written the on packaging or the spotter). A friend bought one....and got screwed on it!

A quick call to Kindermann Canada (Swarvovski Canada) and I was told those were NOT the HD's, and that he was misrepresenting them.

When I asked him about it...he clammed right up!

I've know that outfit for a few decades now, and you'd be the first to walk out of there unscathed !

The old saying "if something is too good to be true it probably is..." applies double to that joint!

Worst of all...no refunds, only "Instore Credit"!

Best thing a guy could do is drive straight through PG without stopping, and head west to Vanderhoof...a sports store with some class (and integrity) that can hold their own with Wholesale Sports to boot (and I don't even have shares in the company)!

StoneChaser

mod7rem
06-09-2007, 06:15 PM
The trick with E&I is to go in there already knowing exactly what you want, and how much it will cost to get somewhere else. Andre also knows how much it will cost elsewhere and when pushed he will usually match or slightly better it.

Sitkaspruce
06-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I agree with Stonechaser. The store in Vanderhoof is top notch and very easy to deal with, even the guy who sits on this site and talks like he knows a lot about guns:biggrin:. They will match just about anybodys price and give you the item with a thanks and a smile. Have never experienced that at any of the stores in PG.

Whisky Creek
06-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Sitka, You are right, except now that short white haired "know-it-all" (in reality know-nuthin) Frank is not working there anymore, so it is a bit more tolerable going in there nowadays.
Stone Chaser, No bubble to be burst here. It is an HD. He had two of them, and they were the only two in stock. HD on the focus dial, HD on the box, and an HD serial number. For once, thay are the one's to be scathed! I dealt with him last year also. First I had a scrap with the "know-it-all" Frank, who tried to tell me that Winchester made the Model 700 until I finally told him he didn't know S#%T. Then he went beserk.
I also tried to buy a mint consignment pre-64 model 70, in .30-06 from Andre and he wouldn't budge of off the asking price of $775. Nor should he have as the rifle was mint and gorgeous. He wouldn't even call the owner to make my offer. I left, and a week later stopped again on my way through town. Andre wasn't there this time and I bought the rifle from his wife for $657.50, (halfway between my offer and the minimum price she had noted down in a book somewhere.) I'll bet she got a talking to later that day when he found out!!!
Hehehe, anyhow, sometimes a deal can be found there on the right day.
CLINT

Krico
06-09-2007, 08:01 PM
I have not and likely never will make any major purchases there. Every time I go in and ask about a certain product I end up in an arguement with them. All they seem to know is what the selling price is, and have no product knowledge-I end up educating the staff on their products from my own research. Like mod7rem said, you have to go in knowing exactly what you want and what you can get it for elsewhere. I usually give them a shot at my business, but they have yet to capture it...

Whisky Creek
06-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Lack of "product knowledge" hit the nail on the head there. AND, especially when "Frank the Jackass" was there, arguments were the norm. It feels all the better when you beat them at their own game and get a helluvadeal. Also, they are short handed right now, only him and his wife he told me, so if anyone with knowledge and customer service skills in the PG area wants a job in the industry, nows the time.
AND, not to hijack my own thread but have ya'll ever met "Wayne the Jackass" at Chilcotin guns. I think the owner Al is alright and has always been fair with me, but that sawed-off little helper he's got there really gets under a fellas skin! Talk about "know-it-alls". He does have some knowledge in his products, but, the snotty tone and manner in which he tells you makes you want to choke the little runt! And all the better if he does read this post. Telling him in person, face to face, didn't work.

ruttinbuck
06-17-2007, 09:45 AM
just picked up the manfrotto 718SHB from Kerrisdale Camera.I am replacing a bushnell field tripod.Thanks for the recommendations guys one nice tripod.RB

Hunter4life
06-17-2007, 12:11 PM
How do the manfrotto 714shb and the 718shb compare? Looking at their website the 714 is lighter and more compact but it seems most people on here perfer the 718. Is the 714 not as sturdy as the 718? Or is it the head on the 718 that makes the difference? I guess im just curious to know why people would go for the 718 versues the 714.

h4l

bigwhiteys
06-17-2007, 07:57 PM
How do the manfrotto 714shb and the 718shb compare? Looking at their website the 714 is lighter and more compact but it seems most people on here perfer the 718. Is the 714 not as sturdy as the 718? Or is it the head on the 718 that makes the difference? I guess im just curious to know why people would go for the 718 versues the 714.

You need to take into consideration the weight of your optics... I don't think the 714 would properly support a 3lb Zeiss or Swaro. You need to have something steady and stable.

Happy Hunting!
Carl