PDA

View Full Version : Winchester SXP Review

longshot
05-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Well I have been usung my 870 SuperMag since 2006, and after roughly 6000 rounds, it is in need of a full rebuild. This gun stood up to the worst abuse and never had a hiccup, until late last season where the poor thing wouldn't even cycle anymore. And after picking up a new nice wood semi auto in December, I figured it was time to get a new salt chuck rainy day mud flat gun. I wasn't a fan of the 3.5" feature of the 870, nor do I care for 3.5", so for a while I have been looking for the right black 3" pump gun with a shorter 26" bbl and add my choice of extended wad stripping choke for the length difference. I shouldered everything the had available in Canadian tire, cabelas, and wholesale sports. The only one that caught my real attention and fit perfectly, aside from another 870, was the Winchester SXP. It simply fit, and was balanced perfect. So I put in my order for a Black 3" 26" bbl SXP, and a patternmaster code black duck.

Picked it up from Wholesale Sports here in Nanaimo on Tuesday, got it home and stripped it right down for its initial cleaning. The only thing I noticed the forend nut was loose and needed to be tightened.. no big deal but a bit of a surprise. Took it out for its first shoot yesterday, breaking it in with Kent 3" 1-1/4 #2. It patterned perfectly with the new choke. I tried some other shells and pellet sizes too but the first choice of Kent worked perfect. 1 problem..... IT WONT CYCLE ANY 3"!! Every time it went to take a shell from the bottom and moved up with the elevator, it simply would hit the beginning of the chamber due to the fat ejector spring tring to push the shell out while chambering.. 2-3/4 was fine as the bolt goes forward to flattens out the spring. Being upset, I just continued to push 75 3" rounds through it to break in the rest of the action.

After getting home, I spent probably 3 hours trying to set that ejector spring so it would flatten out just as the 3" shell is up on the elevator... not the most simple thing to do as it was VERY picky on how it was set. But I have finally bent the thing up enough to work flawless, but I don't think anyone should be needing to do this on a new gun. I am just going to order another ejector spring and install that, and hope it comes with the right bends from the factory.

All in all, a very nice shotgun, well balanced, shoots well now.. I am hoping it will live up the bar that my 870 has set. But would I buy another one? NOPE, I simply am very unimpressed by the quality control of this Turkish made Winchester. Maybe the 3.5" model wouldn't have this issue, but I feel like something like this would have been noticed if even dummy rounds were used for QC testing.

Longshot jr.

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/canadian-longshot/20160503_183133_resized_zpsixbioebk.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/canadian-longshot/media/20160503_183133_resized_zpsixbioebk.jpg.html)

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/canadian-longshot/20160503_183202_resized_zpsminjk906.jpg (http://s857.photobucket.com/user/canadian-longshot/media/20160503_183202_resized_zpsminjk906.jpg.html)

Dutch
05-27-2016, 11:04 AM
IT really is disheartening when you buy new and it sucks. But it is not just the bargain guns, have three partners who have bought 725 Browning Citori's all have been sent back for issues....

tinhorse
05-27-2016, 12:08 PM
I have the same gun and have had no issues at all. Great for skeet and have taken 3 deer now in the shotgun zones. I really like the gun. Sometimes like buying a car, you just get a lemon...... Hopefully it wont happen again with your fixes. good luck.

Foxton Gundogs
05-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Why would you not just take it back to WSS and have it replaced or fixed? No reason you should be spending extra money to repair a new gun. If you do take it back take the after market choke out, I know this from experience.

Marlowethelazydog
05-27-2016, 02:12 PM
sorry to hear about that. I have one and new a couple other guys that have them - no issues and lots of rounds through mine at least.

GetLethal
05-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Wife has one, no issues at all, great gun especially for the price.

longshot
05-28-2016, 07:47 AM
I took it back to WSS here in Nanaimo and they said they have nothing to do with warranty of guns, its all final sale, even tho they said if I had any problems within 30 days they would deal with it. I talked to Shane at Reliable Gun as he would be taking care of Winchester warranty, but for the $9 spring I simply just ordered it instead of having to ship the gun off. I has been working great now that the spring has been modified, still waiting for the new spring as it is coming on the next Browning stock order, but it does indeed shoot great.

I have been patterning some more shells lately too and I am really liking this Score ammo, seems to cycle through the gun the best too. I was quite surprised on how well they perform for $12/box. Lots in stock too right now at WSS too, will be picking up 6 or so flats of the 1-1/8 #2 for target shooting and next season

Longshot jr

Red_Mist
05-28-2016, 09:50 AM
I have a field model and have had zero issues.

exv
05-28-2016, 11:53 AM
there was a recall on some of the older 3.5" models. Been happy with my 3" model, hundreds of trouble free rounds and has put lots of meat on the camp fire. Sucks sh!t threw a straw when you fork over your hard earned money and get sweet FA in return. Best of luck getting the ol' girl shooting straight.

metalface
05-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Bummer. My buddy has the 3" camp/field combo and we've put at least 500 rounds through it. No issues at all. Great sh!tkicker shotgun.

Foxton Gundogs
05-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Not sure who you were talking to at WSS but including myself I personally know 4 cases where they handled the warrantee on shotguns just dropped them off and they called when they were fixed.

longshot
06-01-2016, 11:39 AM
that's really odd, I had 3 or 4 employees tell me that they do not handle any of it after the sale. Maybe I should be calling management.

FirePower
06-02-2016, 11:20 AM
It is a consumer law in this province that a product must be suitable and functional for the purpose for which it was purchased. Changing your mind is one thing but a new item that is not functional is totally different. I would most assuredly be contacting management.

silveragent
06-09-2016, 08:17 AM
I have this gun too and have taken it out the past two years and got my first goose with it. I have no issues with it at all and fed all kinds of ammo through it in the marsh and at trap. It survived being dumped in salt water (though eventually my magazine spring may need to be replaced) and is simple to break down and clean. I like how light it is. Great price as well. If I had to buy again I might get one that is a realtree marsh pattern.

longshot
07-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Well the new spring came in, i just picked up 3 cases of ammo and the problem with the new ejector spring is the same as the original.. the one i bent up to shit is the only thing to make this gun cycle. I guess i will just run the modified spring, Wholesale wants nothing to do with it and said there is no point talking to winchester as they are saying "its the shells"... even though it doesnt matter what brand of 3" i use.

steveo
07-03-2016, 10:28 PM
Wholesale sports told you what Winchester would say if you phoned them? I highly doubt Wholesale sports has their finger on the pulse of Winchesters customer service because they don't have a good handle on their own customer service. Phone calls don't carry much weight especially with Wholesale but talking to Winchester directly may get you in the game and if it doesn't send them a letter so there is a paper trail and tell them since you are getting very little help with this issue you will canvas the high usage gun sites for some support and advice.

f350ps
07-04-2016, 06:39 AM
Take it back to Wholesale and tell them you want your money back, you've been far to patient! K

FirePower
07-04-2016, 09:25 AM
You have rights as a consumer, if you telephone Toll free: 1-888-564-9963 Consumer Protection will be able to advise you. Good luck.

longshot
07-05-2016, 07:47 PM
I talked to Winchester. No matter how much I described the situation they didn't seem to understand what is going on, and then said to read the manual on how to load it, as I must be doing something wrong, lol. I swear its a design flaw since the new spring did the exact same thing. I just bent it up like the first one, only nicer. Works fine, but it still has to live with me knowing I have a home bent piece of spring steel for the ejector... Not sure if I even want to keep it now, just tired of it.

f350ps
07-05-2016, 11:51 PM
Take it back and get your money back!!! Simple really! K

longshot
07-06-2016, 06:37 PM
I tried! They literally told me there is no way i can get a refund, words right out of their mouth. "Final sale is final sale" is all i got out of it

Foxton Gundogs
07-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Not true under BC consumer law.

The Hermit
07-09-2016, 06:31 PM
Not sure if he is still there but ask to speak to Robin at WSS. He is/was the general manager and is a good guy. I'd be pissed in your shoes.