PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Bear Encounter!

Ltbullken
05-09-2016, 10:14 AM
I had an interesting encounter with a black bear this weekend while out bear hunting. I was driving up a road to go check a good bear area I know. I turned a corner and jumped a bear feeding along the road. I could see he was a good looking bear, good size. Anyway, he bailed into the bush next to a cut line. I stopped, backed up waited a bit then went to check the area on foot. Nothing. So I drove up the road to get a view from on top of the cut line looking down. Nothing. I drove up the road to check another area and came back about 20 minutes later to set up looking down on the cut line.

Got out, started glassing and saw him right away, rubbing his back along some trees on the edge, where 2 cut lines meet. This makes sense as that is where bears will naturally pass through. It was about 160 yds away from where I was. A standing shot was not an option. I couldn’t go prone or sit as there was a rise and brush in the way but kneeling worked. I lined the crosshairs on him and waited. He was up and down rubbing against trees and then he stopped for a moment. I pulled the trigger and right at that moment he dropped down. Clear miss, as he bailed into the treeline! I knew it! But I went to check the spot for blood anyway. The entire rub area looked flattened and stamped down like it’s been used as a rub location for a long time. There were other trees there that were used as rubs too. I took a few steps into the bush where I knew he entered the treeline, but could only see maybe a few feet into the bush. It was really thick. Anyway, as I stepped into the treeline, I heard some branches snap and crack, sounding like it was maybe 10 ft in front of me. But there was no way to see into the bush. I instantly backed off. I could still hear noise and it was close. I backed off some more but he sounded like he was pacing me as I moved. Nope! Backed off more and got ready for a charge, rifle at the ready!!

I got to about 30 ft from the treeline and could still hear noise but less this time. I backed off to where I took the shot and settled in for a better view. I didn’t think this bear was going to leave that spot. Very dominant bear. I waited for about a half hour watching the area when at about 30 degrees C, I had to get going anyway to make other timings. As I stood up I saw the bear about 40 yds away from me to my left looking right at me!! He bolted after a moment. I couldn’t get a decent shot at that time.

Can’t wait to go back to that spot. I’m pretty sure he’ll be there. It's a prime feeding area. The tree rubs tell me that’s HIS territory too so he won’t be going anywhere. He was hesitant to leave even with me so close. Sure got the heart rate up!

RiverOtter
05-09-2016, 10:44 AM
You backed off a 160 yards to where you shot from and the bear snuck to within 40 yards of you?

Hoping you shoot it next time out.....

Ltbullken
05-09-2016, 10:58 AM
You backed off a 160 yards to where you shot from and the bear snuck to within 40 yards of you?

Hoping you shoot it next time out.....

Ha yah!! No s***!! That bear thinks he the boss.

RiverOtter
05-09-2016, 11:01 AM
No kidding, just one of several reasons why I never head to the sticks without a gun in tow......

Blacks are sneaky enough naturally, without actually trying to be sneaky....sinister bastids they can be...

russm86
05-09-2016, 12:57 PM
No kidding, just one of several reasons why I never head to the sticks without a gun in tow......

Blacks are sneaky enough naturally, without actually trying to be sneaky....sinister bastids they can be...

Sneaky for sure, I had a similar run in once but I was bow hunting for mulies and saw a monster black bear about 200 yards out, didn't really concern me much at first just kept hiking and next thing I hear is a big crack, I turn around and here is this bear 8 yards behind me tearing open a log looking for ants/termites. I never heard him before that. He knew I was there and even stared at me and just didn't give a s**t, he knew he was king around there, he just kept feeding (as I was slowly backing away with an arrow knocked). He was easily well over 6' and his head was like a couple cinder blocks put together. Really startling... Didn't want to try arrowing him at that distance especially not having successfully harvested anything else yet with a bow ever and no backup.

todbartell
05-09-2016, 01:02 PM
wow that would of been exciting for sure. Good luck!

Xenomorph
05-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Sneaky for sure, I had a similar run in once but I was bow hunting for mulies and saw a monster black bear about 200 yards out, didn't really concern me much at first just kept hiking and next thing I hear is a big crack, I turn around and here is this bear 8 yards behind me tearing open a log looking for ants/termites. I never heard him before that. He knew I was there and even stared at me and just didn't give a s**t, he knew he was king around there, he just kept feeding (as I was slowly backing away with an arrow knocked). He was easily well over 6' and his head was like a couple cinder blocks put together. Really startling... Didn't want to try arrowing him at that distance especially not having successfully harvested anything else yet with a bow ever and no backup.

That's your spirit bear right there. He knew your stuff before you even thought of dishing it out. Those moments you never forget.

Fella
05-09-2016, 01:17 PM
I'd have needed a new pair of underwear after that one.

Ltbullken
05-09-2016, 01:41 PM

For sure that would make for some pucker factor!

russm86
05-09-2016, 03:23 PM
For sure that would make for some pucker factor!

Yea, there really wasn't even time for puckering, lol. I don't even know how to describe the feeling at the time, definitely "oh, s**t" but unsettling or nerve racking maybe? Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck for sure, but it was all so fast a lot of it didn't really start to sink in or come to me until after we had gone our own ways. Like the realization that, had he wanted to, I probably wouldn't have even heard him until he was pretty well on top of me.