PDA

View Full Version : Which trailer to buy?

Brew
05-08-2016, 09:36 PM
I'm looking for a brand new travel trailer for my young family. The wall tent camping doesn't work well with little ones.
there are so many brands out there and lots of horror stories of leaky trailers. In your opinions what are the top three makes to consider. I would rather spend money and buy something that's going to last than cheap out and have problems.
what are the pros and cons to buying aluminum siding vs the flat panelled models? Ideally I'm looking for something 19-22' with bunk beds in the back and a queen up at the front. Also would like a winter package model.
Thanks

Brew
05-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Started a new thread in a better place than the buy and sell area.
Thanks for the pm's you guys sent

shottyshooter
05-08-2016, 09:47 PM
We've been happy with our KZ Spree 240BHS with Tri bunks in the back. No winter package but from what I remember you jump to a whole new price point for a good 4 season.

one-shot-wonder
05-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Arctic Fox or Bigfoot just to name a couple.

RiverOtter
05-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Should add, if it's an option, a 19-22 trailer with slide out would be ideal. Extra living space, while still being short enough to get more places.

Buck
05-08-2016, 11:08 PM
I like the Nash trailers for 4 season.The 23B has no slideout but has bunks http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-23b-2/

The 25 C oh yea with slideout nice trailers and built stronger for Forestry roads. http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-25c-2/

(http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-25c-2/)

Ry151
05-08-2016, 11:27 PM
We have a 22' Nash and love it. It has dual pane windows for the colder season camping. I didn't get a slide because it looked to easy for heat to get out on October hunting trips. I have no experience with slides so that may not be an issue.

New Bow Hunter
05-09-2016, 06:23 PM
Watch for lot rot. If I had to do it again I would stay away from aluminium sided trailers.
Make sure to visit as many dealers as possible. Keep notes. Stay away from ultralight trailers.

Brew
05-09-2016, 06:41 PM
I like the Nash trailers for 4 season.The 23B has no slideout but has bunks http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-23b-2/

The 25 C oh yea with slideout nice trailers and built stronger for Forestry roads. http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-25c-2/

(http://northwoodmfg.com/travel-trailers/nash/nash-25c-2/)
I really like the Nash. I almost bought one two summers ago but got busy with camp work and it never happened. Wish I did then because they have gone up in price tremendously

Cdn-Redneck
05-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Look at Outdoors RV trailers. They aren't cheap but seem well built. We have a Jayco it is nice but not really a 4 season trailer. Arctic Fox and Nash are the same manufacturer and say they have an off road frame.

wos
05-09-2016, 07:04 PM
look at escape trailers. They are made in bc and look well thought out. I can't say I have any first hand experience with them though.

Bowzone_Mikey
05-09-2016, 07:07 PM
Artic Fox or Nash

all others do not matter

sarg
05-09-2016, 07:15 PM
I bought a new toyhauler trailer 3 years ago and I have one hell of a nightmare on my hands :( ( poorly fixed Warrantee work that cause my floor to rot out) what ever you do get every piece of detail written down that you agreed on because they will try and back out of things last minute and say it wasn't apart of the deal :(

scoutlt1
05-09-2016, 07:34 PM
I bought a new toyhauler trailer 3 years ago and I have one hell of a nightmare on my hands :( ( poorly fixed Warrantee work that cause my floor to rot out) what ever you do get every piece of detail written down that you agreed on because they will try and back out of things last minute and say it wasn't apart of the deal :(

Sounds like you bought a Keystone trailer from Fraserway. Just like I did................

brokenarrow22
05-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Look at Outdoors RV trailers. They aren't cheap but seem well built. We have a Jayco it is nice but not really a 4 season trailer. Arctic Fox and Nash are the same manufacturer and say they have an off road frame.
Outdoor rv trailers also made by northwood mfg

Brew
05-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you bought a Keystone trailer from Fraserway. Just like I did................
I have heard so many bad stories about fraser way. There is no way I'm going to bother dealing with them

kilometers
05-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Their all the same. Dosnt really matter have seen almost all brands with leak issues. All the appliances are sourced from the same companies. Layouts are identical
Key is covered storage during the winter and reseal every couple years.

Downwindtracker2
05-09-2016, 08:35 PM
Outdoor RV is also owned by Nash. Same frames, same town, Le Grande, Or. Best frames in the business. They claim off-road, but they only mean gravel. Since they live in eastern Oregon , they are designed for their own use.

My wife and I have a ORV travel trailer. We love it. From Arizona to N.W.T..

Now the bad. All RVs Leak. That includes Bigfoots and Airstreams. Once water hits SPF, it doesn't do too good. They could build them so they don't leak, but you couldn't afford them. Besides, what would happen to the market if they lasted beyond the payments ? So after 2 years you should reseal. Understand the only person who is going to do a good job is you. Here's how:

What I do, is remove the trim and re caulk. I don't use that grey tape. . I really believe manufactures use grey butyl tape so RVs will leak and rot, lasting just as long as your payments, so you have to buy new ones. I clean the siding and trim with solvent . Then lay two 3/8" beads of Proflex on the trim. It's expensive, slow and messy. I'm not the best at smoothing out the squeeze out. If you don't have squeeze out you don't know if you a seal. Hint: If get your wife to do the smoothing you won't hear about the quality of the job! But the RV should out last us when we've done all the trim. For screws I use round head Robertson stainless steel one size up #10. Robertsons are even easier to use than trailer screws with the magnetic driver bit. Robertsons if they are not original are called square recess. The quality of screws and bits has slipped so buy extra bits.

Ry151
05-09-2016, 09:30 PM
The frame on my nash is just as shitty as any other trailer in my opinion. My parents have a 2012 adventure 4 season camper that the roof has been leaking on since new. the whole front was rotten on it from water damage. Cost them 5 grand to fix.

browning308mag
05-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Creekside [outdoors rv trailers]

Drillbit
05-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I had a Weekend Warrior Toy hauler. It was great.

I'd recommend a toyhauler. Built in generator, and huge tanks. More versatile and easier to re-sell. Mine held 150GA water and had 70GA grey and 70GA black tanks. Never a worry.

Denali's are leakers. Arctic Fox are the best.

tuner
05-09-2016, 11:02 PM
Bigfoot, they are heavy and expensive, but you are almost 100% guaranteed not to have either leaking or rot issues.

sarg
05-09-2016, 11:50 PM
Stay far far away from fraserway,

sarg
05-09-2016, 11:53 PM
I bought a "stealth" by forest river from fraserway abbotsford, I will never ever spend another dim at a fraserway location :(

mr604
05-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Dude

I am not sure the brand is going to matter. Most of these things are made in the states and unless your willing to pay up they are all the same so your always going to get a good deal when the Canadian dollar is higher. Keep that in mind.

If you buy something new at least you don't have to be worried about a 'leak' as many here wisely point out and other bullshit cause by the previous owner. But used will always a benefit to you with the obvious discount of depreciation and well that fact that it is used, but if you have never owned and cannot reply on the advice of a close friend who has owned and paid the tuition ....new may be your way to go.

Keep in mind the not thought of costs etc...if your within a farts sniff of van you a looking at high storage costs and shitty winter weather (read moisture) $50 to 250 a month storage...if the parents are retire in the Okanogan and you can winter store there your golden :p

I would tell you from experience and as a hard core fisher/hunter with some what reluctant but obliging daughters you need at least 26 ft and a good strong tow vehicle ( heavy half ton).

And with all that i tip my hat to you cause it is a great family/ what family? hobby :cool:

Barracuda
05-10-2016, 06:56 AM
this http://escapetrailer.com/trailers/the-21-escape/
or this http://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfoot_rv_travel_trailers_2500_series.html

The 2 pce fiberglass trailers don't leak like normal trailers and the only seams are where the windows vents or air con is even recaulking the whole thing would take less time then trying to find a leak on a conventional trailer.

we have a bigfoot and really like it

digger dogger
05-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Bigfoot, or Airstream, Barry!

Downwindtracker2
05-10-2016, 08:57 AM
I spend more time on RV forums than hunting. You can glean a fair bit of knowledge , it's worthwhile to visit.

I'm got some experience in the industry, setting up and repairing construction camps, doing warranty work on mobile homes, and fixing three of our own RVs. The fourth got traded in before I could turn it into a true backroads trailer.

We rarely use campground preferring Rec Sites or BLM in the states. For hunting I used to use a 12x14 wall tent, but I've gotten too old to do take down by myself so I've purchased a used '99 camper last year.

-ALL RVs LEAK , even new ones. I finished redoing the seals on our 2013 Creekside, none too soon I might add, this year. So after two years, reseal. Read my posting on how.
-First time buyers look at the floorplan, second time buyers look at the frames. Broken frames are not uncommon.
-Tires under new travel trailers are black,that is all the good that can be said of them. Outdoor RV put Goodyears under theirs so you can get warranty easier, 'nuff said. I changed out to truck tires.
-As another poster said, tank size is important if you dry camp at Rec Sites.
-Consider a RV merely a kit to modify.

My sons are grown now with kids of their own, but they both camp. They consider those times as the best parts of their youth. DO IT

How much truck do you have?

Brew
05-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Currently I have a 2015 f250. So I think I can tow anything in the size I'm looking at pretty easy

Brew
05-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Looking at a nash 23b right now. I really like this one. The price tag hurts though at 35000$ ouch. Just talked to another nash dealer in Alberta. It's about a thousand cheaper than here. What should I offer or ask to have thrown in on the deal?

RiverOtter
05-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Was that at Rainbow Ford in Rocky?

-Equilizer hitch/electric brake controller and install
-Second battery, as most come with a single
Prolly won't get tossed in, but at least a break on 2 things you're gonna need.
-quick connect hose for the propane outlet.
-RV mat for under your awning(Thank me later:smile:, as they keep a lot of dirt out of your trailer)

Keep in mind our dollar was better in 2010, but I bought my 22H AF in April for $23, 600 at Rainbow in AB. My exact trailer was $30, 700 at Rosmans RV in Vernon. And I DOUBT Rainbow Ford was selling at a loss......

Another thing to keep in mind, RV dealers are NOT anything like car dealers for warranty work and it don't matter on the brand. You might get a little bit of love if you directly bought it from them, but just because you bought a NASH, don't expect anything resembling helpful service from another NASH dealer. That trend seams to be across the board, as I know guys who have bought trailers from a wide range of different dealers.

A good private RV Tech is your best friend. There is a mobile guy in Lumby who is amazing and very fairly priced, if you ever camp up this way.

RiverOtter
05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
I like that floor plan Barry.
What are your thoughts on the sit sleep bed, looks cool, just wonder if it would compromise sleep comfort?

When we bought the AF version of the 22H, I was trying to cover all the bases, but you know how that goes... :smile:
We came from a small trailer that we literally used to death and knew what we wanted in a new trailer. We did NOT want to make the kitchen table into a bed every night, that sucks, so we opted the jack knife sofa for our 2 daughters to sleep on and left it as a made bed....Perfect. All was great for a couple years until our oldest started getting tall(Apparently that happens when you feed them:smile:), and her legs started to hang over the ends of the bed. Next thing you know, we were back to making the table into a bed. That went on for a couple years, until our oldest was about 14 and no longer wanted to sleep with mom and dad, but in a tent set up near the trailer. Of course of second daughter was only 2 1/2 years behind, so had outgrown the sofa and wanted to be in the tent with her big sister. Our "little" girls are now at 17 and 14 1/2 and rarely even want to camp with us anymore and don't need the trailer at all when they do, save for the bathroom.

Now, to where we're at currently...We opted a sideways double bed, so we could have the jack knife sofa bed, so we didn't need to make the kitchen table into a bed, so that when the kids grew up we'd still have a good trailer for US. Now, I REALLY wish we had an island queen, as the side mounted double sucks more every year, especially when the person at the far side needs to go pee. That and my wife says I take up too much room.....pffft...:p

Brew
05-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Good to know there is a good Rv tech in Lumby. I work for Gormans pole yard there, even though I live on the coast.
Not sure about the sit sleep bed. I will have to look at it this weekend. Talked to trailer town in Alberta today hoping prices would be cheaper out there but only a 1000$ difference on the sticker price.
It sure is hard to find the exact layout you want. Layouts that seem like common sense to me are few and far between.
Thanks for all the info so far river otter. You've given me a lot to think about

RiverOtter
05-10-2016, 07:23 PM
RV Doctor(AJ Rosseel) located across from Lumby Tire Craft in the industrial park.

Downwindtracker2
05-10-2016, 08:07 PM
Good choice, and you get a trip to Alberta thrown in. A second battery, and have both of them #27s. When in the bush, a FantasticFan will cool down a trailer without bringing along a 3000watt genny for the air-con. With your truck a load equalizing hitch is not a must, it does make things ride easier. If you get one of the premium brands like Equalizer, they have anti sway built in, rutted pavement can throw you around.

If you ask what to pack you'll get many pages of things, but since you've camped, you'll have a pretty good idea.

For a trailer you need:
-a stinky slinky, Rhino is the top brand
-gloves for touching the stinky slinky
-single ply TP, I'm terrified of blockages
-a potable water hose for campground use
- an adapter 15amp 110 to 30amp 110 plug. Trailers use a different plug
-leveling blocks for side to side, gas fridges need to be level to last, I use Lynks brand
-a level, a few cheap magnetic torpedo, they can get forgotten

For the kids when they are old enough, a swede saw, hatchet and baling twine. I allowed them to only cut down dead trees, they then could build "forts" , tying them together with the baling twine. Next camper got fire wood.

Cdn-Redneck
05-10-2016, 08:34 PM
A good hitch is key, I have a Reese dual cam on my trailer. I would probably look at an Equ-I-lizer E4 for a hitch as well they are easier to get setup. If your trailer is going to have a slide a slide topper is a good idea as well it is an awning that covers the slide when it is out, it keeps the crap like pine cones and branches off you slide so the gasket doesn't get damaged.

fuzzy
05-11-2016, 12:28 PM
I have zero experience with trailers besides seeing co-workers get gouged and friends complain about leaks etc. When I was thinking of getting a fullsize truck this website had me intrigued www.sheepcamps.com They look to be built well have wood stoves in them as well.

Fuzzy

emerson
05-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Artic Fox or Nash

all others do not matter
This. Same manufacturing company. I had an Arctic Fox. Family lived in it for 4 months, 2 BC/AB trips, sold as new.

wrenchhead
05-11-2016, 02:18 PM
If got a couchman Catalina in bought new in 2010. Probably camped 300 plus nights in it with my young family. Oregon coast over the coq a few times and countless local trips, never had any issues. I live in the okanagan and it stored outside without a cover. I just resealedthe corners of the roof just as a preventative measure, other then that it is like new. I think keeping it clean, winterising properly, and closing the blinds in the summer while not in use to keep it frm getting super hot inside are keys to longevity.

Ry151
05-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Looking at a nash 23b right now. I really like this one. The price tag hurts though at 35000$ ouch. Just talked to another nash dealer in Alberta. It's about a thousand cheaper than here. What should I offer or ask to have thrown in on the deal? get dual battery's and a solar panel mounted on the roof if they will throw it in. One thing to keep in mind with Nash is they are heavy. The new Nash may be liter but tounge on My 2010 22h is 800lbs but i wanted the 4 seasons package so it's worth it to me and I don't go more that 500km from my house most times so not a big deal to me.

srupp
05-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Hmm ours is 2000 Citation. $$$$$ expensive new.but you get premium parts
Torsion suspension..worth its weight in gold
All showers sinks etc are resudential gel coat quality..Moen taps..fridge furnace air conditionar
Roof is Patrick rubber 20 year warranty...first leak last fall...fixed.
Winter package sealed hidden tanks..
Double windows..withsolar coloring..glass
26 foot with slide..
GET BATTERY SLIDE OUT TRAYS,!
2x30 pound propane
Fantastic fan in kitchen..living room
Get it wired for solar..2 pannels. .200 watts? With pannels located on carriage racks..no extra holes in roof.
These were exellent units..but pricey..no longer made..maybe a good used one ?
Been rvng for 25 plus years...still very much enjoy it.
We have paid to keep our rv inside a show barn since new..cement floor..no sun nor ultraviolet rays nor snow and ice to tear the roof apart...the filon walls look new..the walls are sandwhich construction..no batting to fall down.
Lived in it one summer..great..use it most years..15 days spribg bear.30 days lake fishing 15 days salmon fishing..20 days moose deer.still looks, smells new..and due to torsion suspension it has never been shaken to pieces..
Looked at arctic fox big drop from Citation Corsair..but at least you can buy new...
Cheers
Steven
Even has casette tape for music..we dont own any..lol

On that battery tray get 2x 6 volt trojan t..105 golf cart deep cycle batteries with vent cap along with solar pannels you are virtually limitless power....never ran out of power.ever.generator for microwave and big tv when taken.

ajr5406
05-12-2016, 03:29 PM
I bought a tent trailer last year (1996 model so pretty cheap). It works fine but I have found that the hour it takes to get everything set up makes its a real pain for a quick weekend or night away. I'd pay the extra money and get something decent like a camping trailer. The advantage of the tent trailer is the price as well as the fact I can store it in my garage.

Downwindtracker2
05-14-2016, 09:46 PM
A tent trailer can camp in places where nothing else can, neither tent, trailer nor camper. We've done it. Even a person sleeping on the ground couldn't where we've parked it. They can be had cheap, ours had cost an income tax return cheque. They sleep six, and a Lab. They are better than a tent. Ours was drier. One of down sides as you mentioned, putting up and taking down. We didn't find that too bad for a weekend, outside of arriving late and setting up in the dark. But moving daily was both a lot of work and cut into the travel time. A travel trailer takes time to set up too. It's the packing everything back in. But the real pain was taking down wet.

cdub
05-15-2016, 09:14 AM
The comments about leaks are correct,all units leak. I asked about fibreglass units at rv repair shop and they said the fg units are the worst to get. If they have had a leak they are a write off as they don't come apart to repair.
This year I decided to build a trailer using a cargo trailer, all steel frame. A lot of work but it should be worth it and you know what's behind all the lipstick the rv manufactures use.

Downwindtracker2
05-15-2016, 02:37 PM
What cdub said is correct but should be clarified . There are four ways to make an trailer and they all leak. An Airstream is built like a plane with a plywood floor. Think of your car topper. Bigfoot style clam shell. All those roof vents and windows can leak. The repairs to the interior are on the level of a boat, even I shied away from that when I looked for a camper. Stick&tin , they are built like a house, aluminum siding ,studs, and plywood paneling. The interior plywood paneling is your main structural component. There are easy to fix but sturdy, not so much. Poorly insulated, too. Then there are the new smooth sided trailers. The outside is merely fiberglass coated .It delaminates when wet. On our trailer, it is hardboard with Styrofoam between wood studs and plywood paneling. It's made into one big strong panel. The newer ones use aluminum studs.

I hope this helps you when your wife ouhs and oahs over the pretty cabinets. Good luck,eh!

ruger#1
05-15-2016, 02:42 PM
The comments about leaks are correct,all units leak. I asked about fibreglass units at rv repair shop and they said the fg units are the worst to get. If they have had a leak they are a write off as they don't come apart to repair.
This year I decided to build a trailer using a cargo trailer, all steel frame. A lot of work but it should be worth it and you know what's behind all the lipstick the rv manufactures use. Give your head a shake. You can repair fiberglass. I think someone at that shop was feeding you a load.

Downwindtracker2
05-15-2016, 05:17 PM
I think what they was referring to wasn't the solid fiberglass like in boats, Bigfoot or NorthernLite but the filon on the smooth sides. At low deprecated value of trailers,(they leak), a write off makes sense. Remember, one side is one big laminated single piece. Of course they have been fixed, but it's not easy job. I've heard of a guy cutting down fat-ass Bigfoots to fit new trucks for what I considered cheap. I just finished removing the wing rot from my stick&tin hunting camper, and it was very easy.

Buck
05-15-2016, 06:40 PM
I think what they was referring to wasn't the solid fiberglass like in boats, Bigfoot or NorthernLite but the filon on the smooth sides. At low deprecated value of trailers,(they leak), a write off makes sense. Remember, one side is one big laminated single piece. Of course they have been fixed, but it's not easy job. I've heard of a guy cutting down fat-ass Bigfoots to fit new trucks for what I considered cheap. I just finished removing the wing rot from my stick&tin hunting camper, and it was very easy.

Yep just found a leak and rot on my 1998 nash.Tin sides easy fix.

ruger#1
05-15-2016, 08:38 PM
I think what they was referring to wasn't the solid fiberglass like in boats, Bigfoot or NorthernLite but the filon on the smooth sides. At low deprecated value of trailers,(they leak), a write off makes sense. Remember, one side is one big laminated single piece. Of course they have been fixed, but it's not easy job. I've heard of a guy cutting down fat-ass Bigfoots to fit new trucks for what I considered cheap. I just finished removing the wing rot from my stick&tin hunting camper, and it was very easy.Yes I was thinking of the bigfoot or northern lite. Forgot about that thin crap.