PDA

View Full Version : Getting a jet boat let's see your set up and ideas

13thplumber
05-08-2016, 06:32 PM
As the post says. I'm in the market for a jet boat. I'd like to see the setups out there and here the pros and cons of using a jet boat for hunting. Hearing some hard luck stories could add some good preparation ideas to.
Thanks guys

TARCHER
05-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Ok, I'll start. I've been around boats a lot of my life including jet boats. I lived in Pr Rupert for many years and was out and about in many different jet boats up a lot of rivers between Rupert and Terrace. This past fall a good buddy had a new boat built here in PG and off we three go to the mighty Muskwa. We launched at the usual spot and ran all day dropping fuel along the way. I dreamed about this my whole life. Now I was a beach and pool lifeguard in my teens and 35 yrs a paramedic the last 20 being advanced life support then critical care on the medivac aircraft out of PG and having seen the resulting screw-ups(accidents) enough this last trip was not as fun as I wanted it rto be. Not long after passing the Tachodi we beached on a gravel bar, no big deal I had to get out and pack the winch to shore. It was the next few times way up the river where log jams prevailed with multiple bends that freaked me out. The water was low and common sense told me this was not good. It worked out ok but I will say my wish for a jet boat went away. Phenomenal country but in my mind not for the faint of heart. My captain was new to this and no doubt there is a real technique in shallow water as the fellow from the company Bridger recently advertised for sale showed us as we saw him several times making it look easy. Practise lots in your new boat.

emerson
05-08-2016, 07:45 PM
I've got an outboard jet. Don't bother unless your budget is brutally small. Weight means power which means fuel like running a big block muscle car on the highway. Don't buy a bus for your friends unless you are wealthy. Sport jet, heavy thick bottom, short length to save weight. Pushing 2000lbs off a gravel bar sucks. 3500lbs makes you drive it like a stern drive, which negates a jet boat cost. You will hit bottom, unless you drive it like an ocean boat, which means you shouldn't pay for the inefficiency of a jet. The previous poster was correct about learning to drive it. You need to be cautious, but not hesitant. Keep your brain working but remember if you get off the throttle you loose steerage and usually hit bottom. If you buy a factory boat like Kingfisher etc you will be scared of tearing up your boat(with good reason) and so lacking confidence will be too hesitant, thus ending up grounded anyway. Think of it as a 2 seat UTV capacity wise and buy accordingly. Ignore my advice if you can drop $90k and $50+/hr fuel costs. I'm not bsing the fuel costs, 12gal/hr=$45.60@$1/l. To approach 5gal/hr you need a tiny sport jet powered creek runner. Just my opinion of course.

RiverOtter
05-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Speaking of which, if you're in the market for a jet boat and plan on running skinny water, a call to Kevin Willis at RJA would be a good call. Super knowledgeable guy who's done it all in a jet boat.

wildcatter
05-08-2016, 08:07 PM
I work at a boat shop and recently we sold a 15ft AB Profile aluminum hull boat fitted with a Yamaha 40 HP Jet Drive.
Installed tons of rod holders, custom anchor bracket, 2 Smooth Moves suspension seats, console and a bunch of other stuff.
The buyer will be using it for steal head fishing on rivers and also on Chilco Lake.
So far the feedback we got is very positive.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160331_122235531_1200x674_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160331_122307083_1200x674_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160401_132124637_HDR_1200x674_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160401_132157329_1200x674_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160401_132247033_1200x674_.jpg

wildcatter
05-08-2016, 08:09 PM
Some more photos:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160331_164916465_646x1150_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160331_164952203_1200x674_.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_20160401_132042016_1200x674_.jpg

ryanb
05-08-2016, 08:21 PM
An inflatable wouldn't last 5 minutes the way I drive my boat. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/Mobile%20Uploads/P1010215.jpg

Gets you to some great country, but there's getting to be more and more boats... Not quite what it once was I'm told.

Many mishaps are due to poor preparation, inexperience, or both. Having said that, anything can happen, and often does... It's how you deal with the shit flying off the fan that counts.

REMINGTON JIM
05-08-2016, 08:25 PM
ryanb - tell me more about your jet boat - whats it powdered by ? boat lenght ? roughly the load capacity " safely " ? Thks RJ

browningboy
05-08-2016, 09:48 PM
There's so many more boats out there now, up north gets pretty packed as well, and also put on a hundred hours or so running shallow with someone that is familiar with doing so.. If you only want to go hunting get. 16 ft with a sportjet

RiverOtter
05-08-2016, 09:56 PM
I hear good things about Fire Fish......

killman
05-08-2016, 10:48 PM
I've order a 19' Firefish Hammerhead. 100"beam 7' bottom. Going with 6litre and Hamilton 212. Full UHMW. Should be fun.

bigredchev
05-09-2016, 04:39 AM
from my experience, if you want a bullet proof boat its going to cost you easily upwards 40k for: full umhw, stomp grate, pump guard in a built hull that will take shit and abuse. from there is a endless drain on fuel as they are thirsty buggers and need to be run in the higher rpm to keep you out of the water and steering.

my best advise is become friends with a guy who has a jet boat.

Foxtail
05-09-2016, 05:52 AM
The firefish is definitely the boat I would get if I could right now. Impressive rigs for sure.

knothead
05-09-2016, 06:08 AM
What's your budget? firefish equals $60,000 plus used flat bottom $10,000 with a decent but likely older outboard. What kind of water are you running? There is no boat jet or otherwise that can do it all so you need first to define your parameters.

bigredchev
05-09-2016, 06:21 AM
I've seen some decent prices on outlaws and eagles around 30 to 35 on Craigslist.

bigredchev
05-09-2016, 06:22 AM
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/5576575411.html

bigredchev
05-09-2016, 06:53 AM
Smokin deal http://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/boa/5514890207.html

browningboy
05-09-2016, 06:31 PM
There are lots of boats, just depends how big your nuts are! Easy to say but wait until your at the helm

killman
05-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Just remember all boats are not created equal.....

okas
05-09-2016, 10:09 PM
The firefish is definitely the boat I would get if I could right now. Impressive rigs for sure.
then you know no nothing about boats are you a school teacher or RCMP or armed farces ... are you kidding me .. no one home in your head

okas
05-09-2016, 10:19 PM
i love this poor boys site i used to build them but got tired of morons telling me how to it i moved on .. way more money working for big contractors when you have a brain ... ha ha ha
ha ha ha i fix the messes as people want to know when i am passing threw to do it right .., i am so lucky i do not have to deal with the bull shit ass kissing sales selling to people who need two sheets of ass wipe hanging out to find there ass :razz: :tongue: i have boats out there over 25 years old no crack welds ..

okas
05-09-2016, 10:25 PM
i run a 15 ft. 22 inch tube Yamaha jet out board and a 10 ft. 85 hp hard bottom 18 inch tube scouting and a 28 ft 1100 hp for stuff .
just for fun as my working days are done and babysitting super hunters ... ha ha the best of the west crap ;););)

okas
05-09-2016, 10:26 PM
so true my friend .. but some know can not tell shit from dirty pudding :shock:

okas
05-09-2016, 10:27 PM
can you tell this hit a nerve ...

yama49
05-09-2016, 10:29 PM
i love this poor boys site i used to build them but got tired of morons telling me how to it i moved on .. way more money working for big contractors when you have a brain ... ha ha ha
ha ha ha i fix the messes as people want to know when i am passing threw to do it right .., i am so lucky i do not have to deal with the bull shit ass kissing sales selling to people who need two sheets of ass wipe hanging out to find there ass :razz: :tongue: i have boats out there over 25 years old no crack welds ..

You been in the bottle, cause it sure seems like it

okas
05-10-2016, 09:48 AM
no:shock: i was not .. just that so many people have no idea what they are buying .. well i am going to Australia for a bit . yea you guys will miss my crap ..

digginsweatinswearin
05-10-2016, 10:24 AM
That Outlaw Lynx from the island looks like a lot of boat for the money.

bigredchev
05-10-2016, 10:56 AM
This kids... is why you don't do drugs.

Darksith
05-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Im not expert, shit Im not even a beginner in jet boats yet, but I have talked to some boys that have a few. If you know where to look, you can get a boat custom built to suit your needs cheaper than buying one with a name stamped on it. Best advice I have gotten is talk to the guys that have run many a boat, listen to them carefully and understand that what you want to do with it, might not be what you CAN do with it. Your first boat might not be your last boat, hopefully its not, don't get in over your head.

Barracuda
05-10-2016, 12:25 PM
get a jet boat that is functional and affordable to use and you will put more hours on the water then one of those high power 2ton gas guzzeling phallic symbols that people buy to impress everyone else that I see stuck on gravel bars all the time .

RiverOtter
05-10-2016, 12:42 PM
no:shock: i was not .. just that so many people have no idea what they are buying .. well i am going to Australia for a bit . yea you guys will miss my crap ..
Weird, I coulda swore you were jumping on your Harley with your dog and riding off into the sunset........:-P

No matter, you didn't leave the last time you "left" either......:lol:

RiverOtter
05-10-2016, 12:45 PM
BOAT=BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND.....

Or in the jet boat world, another TEN THOUSAND..... :shock:.....BOATT...??

scoutlt1
05-10-2016, 05:47 PM

Any chance you'll be staying somewhere with no internet service while you're down there?

Rugersingle
05-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Best advice I got from a 40 year jet boater...research,research,research.... as noted all boats are not created equal. Some are designed for boney water and rivers, some are designed for big water, no rocks, some are designed for lakes, some are designed for beaver ponds. Before investing hard earned cash be real honest with yourself...when, where and how are you going to use it.
Aluminium will bend, no matter what the thickness or grade, even when covered in plastic and plastic don’t slide on sand and adds extra weight to the boat. Gas never goes down in price and these fellas can burn it up like you and your wallet wont believe.... power to weight , hull design and angles, lift capacity, gas tank capacity and positioning, jet drive selection, plastic or no plastic......the list of decisions is huge.
And then the practical choices...dual batteries, dual bilge pumps, battery isolator switch, fuel tank transfer switch, camper top, heater....anything can be added. And are these "extra's" easily accessible,,,nothing worse than trying to switch gas tanks in a fully loaded boat when the switch is under the engine cover ! And when you turn the power isolator off...is everything truly off? or did your bilge pump automatically turn on and drain your battery when you were off in the mountains hunting? That's a B..ch :(
But it all comes back too....when, where and how are you going to use it.
Search the net for a document called "boats what to look for" Its by a welded boat manufacturer and I'm not saying they have the best made boat. But the information in the document is really good. Good luck, always wear a life jacket and have fun :)

kendoo
05-10-2016, 09:12 PM
Been running the muskwa for 32 years in a row now, & many other rivers. The first 10 years was costly & then I quit letting "CAPTIAN MORGAN" drive & boating became a lot less expensive. And remember there is more to life than gas mileage. As RUGER says RESEARCH there is a couple of real good builders in Prince George.

turbolar
05-10-2016, 09:42 PM
WOW!!!!!!!! oak ass if boats were so great why dont you still make them. Does boat building cut into your acid trips?

browningboy
05-10-2016, 10:44 PM

Lol really? So where does skill come in play, get a Sherman tank and be useless or drive a normal jet and go all the way? No offence but I would say not all people are created equal

f350ps
05-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Lol really? So where does skill come in play, get a Sherman tank and be useless or drive a normal jet and go all the way? No offence but I would say not all people are created equal
No offence but are you speaking from your vast years of experience running various sleds? Just curious, as jet boats have always intrigued me. K

srupp
05-11-2016, 05:39 AM
Hmm was alaways impressed with Kevin Willis..when he got his new jetboat..fly by wires? He was so carefulwith clients..he would be a guy to adk a few qhestions....leaseman is very knowledgable also..
Great way to see the country and access game..
Good luck and please be safe.
Steven

Kapow
05-11-2016, 08:43 AM
I've owned a two. 1st boat was an 18' with a 10 degree 6.5' bottom, small block v8 and AT pump. The wider bottom compensated for the weight of the v8. This was a very good set up. Burned 6.5 litres an hour with the family, dog, cooler and gear. It ran exceptionally shallow. The UHMW saved my ass a few times or I would have been beached. Used it for 5 years and sold it for what I paid for it.
My 2nd boat ; 17' Sportjet, 8 degree 6' bottom. A little bit less power, much lighter and still packs a descent load. Runs super duper shallow and burns about 5.5 litres per hour. It seems to plug up more with debris. Always using the stompgrate. All in all I would compare the boats 50 50. Most important to have a heavy duty bottom and keep the rest light...in my opinion. Good luck

Rockfish
05-11-2016, 08:53 AM
I'm running a 18ft firefish. Bought the bare hull and put it together over a couple winters in my garage. I couldn't be happier. It's a tough boat and I love the Scott pump and V8. Will push whatever I put into it on step no problem. There are a lot of good options out there. As others have said, do your research. After that pick what you think will work best for you and don't worry about the 'shoulda coulda woulda'. Just drive it and have fun.

13thplumber
05-11-2016, 08:35 PM
That's great I appreciate all the info. I've dabbled in researching for a few years now. I decided due to my lack of boat experience to buy a little cheaper and focus on lakes then tame rivers to learn the boat. Then go custom with more experience in a few years. Probably picking up a 2001 custom weld viper with 250hr for under 30g on Saturday.

browningboy
05-11-2016, 10:59 PM
No offence but are you speaking from your vast years of experience running various sleds? Just curious, as jet boats have always intrigued me. K

Yes I am, no bs, it's the operator, boat helps but..

TARCHER
05-11-2016, 11:11 PM
Having been around boats and water most of my life and alot of years on the Skeena watershed rivers it wasn't till last fall waaayyy up the muskwa in low water in my buddies new custom jet boat where I really saw what it takes. There is a lot of factors but certainly technique and big balls to get thru the difficult areas. There is definitely a level of experience at that point to get you thru. I can tell you all about it with photos if you want but don't think you buy even the most super deluxe boat and do it as you will have some bad experience for sure.

knothead
05-12-2016, 06:28 AM
The problem with jet boating skinny water is the only way to learn is the hard way. Someone might be able to give you some tips but until you've had your ass in the seat for a few hundred hours you won't be any good at it.
My first trip to the upper Pitt cost about $7000.00 and after another 5 years of running it and the Thompson I had to put a new bottom on my boat, though I'm not shy about running over sweepers and the odd gravel bar.
My advice would be to buy a bit of a beater that you aren't scared of scratching and be very careful, people die doing this and more than one boat gets sunk in the Pitt every year.

f350ps
05-12-2016, 08:13 AM
Yes I am, no bs, it's the operator, boat helps but..
Hahaha.......I wouldn't call 4 years "vast" experience! Believe it or not some of us have pretty good memories! K

fuzzybiscuit
05-12-2016, 08:52 PM
http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r747/arthurjlarsen/image.jpg1_zpspcfznavx.jpg (http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/arthurjlarsen/media/image.jpg1_zpspcfznavx.jpg.html)

This Is what I have been running for the last two years.

2009 16.5' Explorer Industries WT166 with a fuel injected Yamaha 115/80 hp jet. 6 degree bottom with tunnel and is about 7' wide.

I'm not saying that it the be all - end all of jet boats but it has been pretty good to me and has been very cheap to run. I've pounded it over rocks in areas where the bigger boats seldom go and so far other than a bit of wear on the skid pad I haven't done any significant damage. It sips fuel and has been super dependable. For a smaller boat it has a lot of room in it. It has a top with slant back and I've spent quite a few nights in it while on fishing/hunting trips up the river.

New with a trailer you are looking upwards of 40 g's. I picked it up with just under 70 hours on it for 20.

My only complaint is that it is slow to react with the 4 turns lock to lock rotary helm. I've bought but not yet installed a flow tech rack and pinion helm that will take it to just under 1 turn lock to lock. That should help in the narrow stuff and will definitely help when off step going slow. I also bought a 4" offset manual Jack plate that should get the shoe up an inch or so over what it is set at now. It will also help with steering.

All in all it works pretty good.

Darksith
05-12-2016, 09:42 PM
can an outboard really preform as well as an inboard?

fuzzybiscuit
05-12-2016, 10:28 PM
can an outboard really preform as well as an inboard?

Speaking from experience I would say no. They can be made to do fairly well but they do lack in a few regards.

I have a buddy that has he exact same boat as mine except he has a 4.3l in it and I can do pretty much everything he does, just a little slower at wot. At the same speed I burn 1/3 less fuel than him. He can open his up and get there about 10 mph faster. But, 36 mph is fast enough for me at wot and I can keep mine on step at just under 20 mph when in the rocks. Where his performs better is in the steering of the boat. He can throw his around a lot easier than I can. Spinning mine on it's nose is just plain scary. I start to throw mine around and it will cavitate where an inboard normally won't.

But, once we get to the fishing spot he would gladly change boats. When comparing the same boat the outboard model has a lot more room. Three guys fishing out of the back of mine is not a problem but three out of his is a pain in the ass. Two can be a pain when trying to net a good fish that keeps circling the boat.

There is no one perfect boat and what one person thinks is great won't necessarily work for the next.

I put over 60 hours on mine last year and it did pretty good. I figure that I'll probably do the same for the next ten years and still get 15 g's for it if I was to sell. That's pretty cheap entertainment in my books when you figure I only paid 20 for it.

Barracuda
05-12-2016, 11:48 PM
it really depends how it is set up if a boat is set up properly for an outboard then they are great especially in shallow, fuzzy the outboard shouldn't cavitate if it is set up properly do you have wings on the foot? how is the impellor clearance and condition of impeller ? when was the last time you serviced your impellor?

fuzzybiscuit
05-13-2016, 05:37 AM
it really depends how it is set up if a boat is set up properly for an outboard then they are great especially in shallow, fuzzy the outboard shouldn't cavitate if it is set up properly do you have wings on the foot? how is the impellor clearance and condition of impeller ? when was the last time you serviced your impellor?

It will only cavitate on really hard turns. I have run the intake wings and they do make a difference but I tend to mash them up when running real shallow. At $ 120 a set it gets tiring buying new ones for every second trip out. I also have new SS 4 and 3 blade impellors but on my boat it doesn't matter a whole lot which I'm running. The 4 blade does get out of the hole slightly better but the 3 blade is a mile and a half faster at wot. I change out my liners whenever they get scarred up which does make a difference and they are relatively cheap. I also keep liner to impellor clearance to around .o20 and check it after every second trip or so depending on where/what I've been running.

Like I said a couple posts back, I think if I put the jacking plate on it will push my motor back 4" which may help it get more water when taking really hard turns. I just worry that the shoe may become too exposed and may get caught when going over ledges. I'll try it and see what happens. I've got a new shoe sitting under my bench that I've been dying to put on.:smile:

The boat does run pretty good and surprises everyone that I take out, but I've got a bit of OCD and I keep tweeting it to see if I can make it just a little bit better.

Ramshot
05-13-2016, 01:17 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/jet-resize.jpg

Nothing special, 18 foot Wolfmade with 8 degree Delta v-pad, 9 stringer 6061 bottom with full UHMW. 175 sport-jet with stainless wear-ring and 4 blade impeller. Got us up the river and back home! Lot of great trips over the years. <Ramshot

browningboy
05-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Hahaha.......I wouldn't call 4 years "vast" experience! Believe it or not some of us have pretty good memories! K

Lol, just saying it's not for everyone, got enough time in to know better! :-)

13thplumber
06-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the great info as usual.
I picked up a custom weld viper. It's been great so far defenetly will admit I'm a ways away from a river hunt but
anything you do takes time and practice. Defenetly happy with it and I'm sure I will have some stories of hunt in the
future.
Boats already bringing out about her thousand as the axle busted a week after I bought it before I even hit the water lol. But that's a story for when I'm not any work haha
thx guys

hparrott
06-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the great info as usual.
I picked up a custom weld viper. It's been great so far defenetly will admit I'm a ways away from a river hunt but
anything you do takes time and practice. Defenetly happy with it and I'm sure I will have some stories of hunt in the
future.
Boats already bringing out about her thousand as the axle busted a week after I bought it before I even hit the water lol. But that's a story for when I'm not any work haha
thx guys

This year my husband took a Jet boating course with STS guiding out of Langley. He said it was fantastic. A lot of people taking the course were people who had hit sand bars and learned after having an accident that maybe they could use a little guidance. Anyways, he said the instructor did a great job at showing them how to safely navigate the Fraser and learn how to properly read the water and currents etc. I didn't take the course, but I definitely plan to next year now the he has come away with the information he has and says how good it was....just in case you might be interested I thought I would pass that on.

browningboy
06-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Well if anyone wants a 21.5 ft with a custom motor give me a pm as I may sell mine, low hours

markomoose
06-28-2016, 08:49 PM
no:shock: i was not .. just that so many people have no idea what they are buying .. well i am going to Australia for a bit . yea you guys will miss my crap ..Wow dude you are all about you?Maybe you should upgrade your welding tickets and stay "Down Under" Cheers

killman
06-28-2016, 09:37 PM
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/killman260/9553942A-1D98-4FB7-8BA2-BAF7A8F583FB_zps6de5wx9h.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/killman260/media/9553942A-1D98-4FB7-8BA2-BAF7A8F583FB_zps6de5wx9h.jpg.html)

Start of my project.

fuzzybiscuit
06-28-2016, 09:56 PM
I'm liking it already. Looks like it is going to be a real skinny water boat.

You should start a build thread Killman and run us through start to finish.

ytlogger
06-28-2016, 10:16 PM
This year my husband took a Jet boating course with STS guiding out of Langley. He said it was fantastic. A lot of people taking the course were people who had hit sand bars and learned after having an accident that maybe they could use a little guidance. Anyways, he said the instructor did a great job at showing them how to safely navigate the Fraser and learn how to properly read the water and currents etc. I didn't take the course, but I definitely plan to next year now the he has come away with the information he has and says how good it was....just in case you might be interested I thought I would pass that on.

That sounds like a great idea for someone starting out. Likely save a few bucks compared to learning the hard way.

captain_baculum
06-07-2017, 01:51 PM
I took the STS course last year. They only offer it once a year in April, if you are thinking of taking if best to pay/book ahead. It was the best $200 bucks I've ever spent! Learned a lot about navigating the river, definitely increased my knowledge and confidence on the river. If you are new to the river scene like me and don't have the luxury of having someone in your boat who is experienced to show you the ropes, it's money well spent!!
Off the top of my head some of the most important things I learned are:

-By all means occasionally glance at your fish finder to see the depth, but you should be looking at the water 99% of the time. More specifically you should be making every attempt to read the water. The way the ripples look are a good indicator of the depth. Shadows give you an idea of where a hidden gravel bar is. Even on water I "know" I'm always trying my best to read the water. It helps a LOT when you get in some water you don't know, and you are trying to decide on your course! Water that you ran last month may now be too shallow for your boat. Always always pay 100% attention to the water when you are cruising on plane.

-Along these lines it helps to know the established routes/channels on the water you are navigating. If you have balls of steel and a skinny water boat then by all means just pin it and go where you please. Our boat will run skinny-ish water and I do not have balls of steel, so I stick to the safer (deeper) water. This is especially important during lowest water when if you venture into no-man's-land you are likely to high center in a few inches of muck and need to be rescued. If you do not know the "best route" just follow a boat (guide boat a good choice). I have a buddy who does SAR. He tells me that multiple times a year they get calls out to rescue a high centered boat. The story is usually the same. New boater, inexperienced, thought his jet could run any water, nice new or newer boat now all scraped up, occupants all shaken up, day ruined. If you exercise some caution and common sense this should not happen to you.

-It's easier to drive and read the water going against the current. If unfamiliar with the water always best to get to your destination going up river. Remember the route (or save on your GPS if you have one) and don't deviate too much on the way back. "learn it on the way up, remember it on the way down."

-Have a reasonable amount of supplies on your boat. A bit of extra gas, 2stroke oil if needed, basic tools, extra water, rope, etc. You don't want to weigh your boat down and use up all your cargo space but you need to be prepared for a minor breakdown. My motto is "if I don't need it, someone else will." Have saved a couple other boater's day with my 5L of gas I keep under the seat.

Moe.JKU
06-07-2017, 01:59 PM
I would look into the firefish boats if I were you.

S.W.A.T.
06-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Just sold my Custom Weld Storm, wish i hadn't

browningboy
06-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Sold my jet and had fun but I don't fish much anymore, but if I bought again it would be a fire fish, don't get a Yankee boat

S.W.A.T.
06-08-2017, 06:23 AM
Sold my jet and had fun but I don't fish much anymore, but if I bought again it would be a fire fish, don't get a Yankee boat

Why not consider a "Yankee" boat?

I would first consider what sort of water your going to spend your time in, trips to the ocean, bug water or shallow. Those sort of things.

Many people want to run shallow all the time, not sure why it just creates more work,

Mtn Wonderer
06-08-2017, 06:38 PM
I have and older 18.5' mararthon with a 2007 140hp suzuki with an OBJet. I use it for work, it will run pretty shallow 6-8". No uhmw bottom, reading water is key. I have grounded it before but nothing serious, kind of controlled grounding. I have 2300 hrs on that motor and still running strong. Just got back from 10 days on the Halfway and Peace Rivers. I have been on most rivers in BC in the last 12 years with it.
I always thing it would be nice to get an 18 foot with 200hp sport jet. but I worry about longevity and fuel economy. how many hours do you think is possible out of a well mantained sport jet???

Ride Red
06-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Check out Riddle Marine. Those are a tough "Yankee Boat".

Ride Red
06-08-2017, 06:54 PM
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/boa/6136643411.html

Tyler660
06-08-2017, 11:01 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/webkit-fake-url://04df875e-4b9c-481e-95e5-5a5812428ac6/imagejpeg

S.W.A.T.
06-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Lots of good American built boats out there. For the water I like to run I wouldn't consider anything else. I'm not a shallow water guy, hate doing repairs, and the fish is better in deeper water. Many good Canadian builders too but tend to be much better shallow water boats and that's just not my enjoyment. However I would never recommend a sport jet over a V8. Just simple economics

tyreguy
06-09-2017, 06:45 AM
Lots of good American built boats out there. For the water I like to run I wouldn't consider anything else. I'm not a shallow water guy, hate doing repairs, and the fish is better in deeper water. Many good Canadian builders too but tend to be much better shallow water boats and that's just not my enjoyment. However I would never recommend a sport jet over a V8. Just simple economics

Considering a boat for hunting or fishing is two different options. As the post started he is looking for a boat for hunting and from my experience and from what i've seen Sportjets are the preferred engine/pump set-up. Why? Weight usually is the biggest reason.
Look at what type of hunting you're looking to do - skinny water jet boating is like sheep hunting where you pack light, but if you're looking for deeper water/main channel a bigger V8 boat may better suit your needs. Compare it to hunting off a quad or hunting out of a truck, which one is easier to get unstuck?? Plus you're not considering a jetboat so you can hunt the main waterways.
Many of the Canadian manufacturers like Firefish/Outlaw etc build boats that will last in the local waterways, and if you need a repair they are nearby and for hunting its the only way to go.

recoil
06-09-2017, 09:37 AM
I just bought a used 19' marathon a few months ago for cheap with a dead 350. I am thinking of spending the extra bucks and having a tunnel built and going with a sport jet. As others have mentioned lighter weight means easier to push off sandbars, easier to tow around with my 1/2 ton, and also I should gain at roughly a foot of room inside the boat with the much smaller doghouse. I also should gain at least 2 gallons per hours fuel economy vs V8 which means less fuel to pack around. All in all I don't really see the downside of the sportjet other than estimated lifespan and initial cost. I can get a good used low hour 350 marine motor for about $4-6k, a new sport jet with tunnel costs is about $14k out the door). I have some dent/paint repairs and trailer work to do first so I can ponder these things for a while longer before making a decision.

Camp Cook
06-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I've just read this thread have a question for fishing/hunting light in skinny water.

Is there a reason a light welded Jon boat style of boat with an outboard jet that is easy to push off gravel is not being talked about?

I used to run around with my brother in his 16' Jon boat with jet tunnel, centre console we ran some very shallow, super skinny water and it was always easy to drag it off gravel.

He was living in Prince Rupert at the time.

I'm limited for parking space with a 20' container, three pickups, car, 4 trailers and a camper in the driveway so don't have room to store a heavy full size boat right now = I'm looking at buying a 15' - 16' Jon boat with the biggest outboard jet that will fit it.

Not sure if I want a tiller or a centre console I do really like the pipe centre console in that inflatable boat posted in the start of the thread.

ryanb
06-12-2017, 09:56 AM
I've just read this thread have a question for fishing/hunting light in skinny water.

Is there a reason a light welded Jon boat style of boat with an outboard jet that is easy to push off gravel is not being talked about?

I used to run around with my brother in his 16' Jon boat with jet tunnel, centre console we ran some very shallow, super skinny water and it was always easy to drag it off gravel.

He was living in Prince Rupert at the time.

I'm limited for parking space with a 20' container, three pickups, car, 4 trailers and a camper in the driveway so don't have room to store a heavy full size boat right now = I'm looking at buying a 15' - 16' Jon boat with the biggest outboard jet that will fit it.

Not sure if I want a tiller or a centre console I do really like the pipe centre console in that inflatable boat posted in the start of the thread.

The type of boat you mention is great for Sandy or gravel rivers. Most BC rivers are rocky free stone rivers. A light Jon boat will not hold up to hitting rocks. They also can't pack that much weight which is not great for hunting trips.

For fishing, such a boat will be fine if you choose your waters carefully and avoid the big rocks.

kbellamy
06-13-2017, 10:57 PM
I've had an Explorer Industries 162 DC for the past few years, with a little 70hp Yamaha 4 stroke pushing it. I love it, the only thing I wish was better was its ability to turn sharp without manipulating the throttle... that said, its a very minor thing.

It doesn't have any bells and whistles, there is no heat, no full windshield or camper top so you are exposed to the elements. However the boat is only 700lbs, so two guys can push it around no problem. The little 4 stroke sips fuel which I love the most.

Is it bulletproof? No, but if you learn how to run your boat and wait till your at camp to drink its a lot easier to miss the rocks. I just got back from the Turnagain bear hunting, and we ran up the Dall River part way, and my boat only used 200 litres of gas - about half of what my dads 350 burned. Sure we couldn't pack as much - but I'm young and don't need much in the mountains.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18953177_10101119181364575_7188613645916248497_o.j pg?oh=91ce2a76a7e9b7aec1d33ff4ae460247&oe=59E83DF4
View from camp on the Turnagain, looking south at the Sharktooth range.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18836085_10101119182227845_5585718297893067597_n.j pg?oh=5f8a0fbbe1e6738041d2b45738bd24a5&oe=59A23779
Dall River

Camp Cook
06-18-2017, 10:29 AM
I really like this setup.

I sent them an email requesting pricing but have not heard back from them yet.

okas
06-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Wow dude you are all about you?Maybe you should upgrade your welding tickets and stay "Down Under" Cheers ha ha there is no higher than what i am buthead yes i am home now

okas
06-19-2017, 10:20 PM
i went down there 27 years ago too teach boat building ha ha ha

okas
06-19-2017, 10:39 PM
I hear good things about Fire Fish...... redid the whole bottom on one 2 years ago all the welds were cracked 30 hours on it ha ha to you sell ICBC at Wallmart

okas
06-20-2017, 06:30 PM
well does not this tell the story i have been gone and the blind is still trying to help the blind daaaaaa? he said she said but i do not know ha ha wow this site is too low even for fun anymore new post:) i have i think a in grown hair on my butt need help :cry:

r106
06-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Say no to drugs kids ^^

yama49
06-20-2017, 10:17 PM
redid the whole bottom on one 2 years ago all the welds were cracked 30 hours on it ha ha to you sell ICBC at Wallmart

Well i put 70 hrs on my firefish last year had floor off this spring no issues as u say...

okas
06-23-2017, 08:52 AM
Well i put 70 hrs on my firefish last year had floor off this spring no issues as u say... most likly a short one and one drive on it not much flex in a 17ft with a sportjet

604redneck
06-23-2017, 09:10 AM
I just picked up a 21' outlaw muskwa with a kodiak 350 and sd-309 and 500 hrs on it. Its a 2000 and the paint is rough and a few dings here and there but it should be a good boat to learn on and i can always paint it before i sell it. It also has qt-100 bottom and a stomp grate.

yama49
06-24-2017, 10:10 PM
most likly a short one and one drive on it not much flex in a 17ft with a sportjet

14'8" with a sport jet been tough as hell so far..

yama49
06-24-2017, 10:12 PM
I just picked up a 21' outlaw muskwa with a kodiak 350 and sd-309 and 500 hrs on it. Its a 2000 and the paint is rough and a few dings here and there but it should be a good boat to learn on and i can always paint it before i sell it. It also has qt-100 bottom and a stomp grate.

you will enjoy..

captain_baculum
06-25-2017, 11:27 AM
well does not this tell the story i have been gone and the blind is still trying to help the blind daaaaaa? he said she said but i do not know ha ha wow this site is too low even for fun anymore new post:) i have i think a in grown hair on my butt need help :cry:

What are you on?! Seriously. Surprised you can operate a computer with your cognitive capacity:eek:

recoil
06-25-2017, 02:22 PM
Let's get this back on the topic of jet boats, has anyone tried the new all aluminum 4.3 Chevy ecototec motor from Kem?

Claimed 285hp and 331ft pounds in an efficient vvt direct injected 4 stroke motor. Comes in at about 200lbs lighter than a cast iron 350, closing in on sport jet efficiency and weight savings without the noise and 2 stroke oil.

okas
06-27-2017, 09:36 AM
14'8" with a sport jet been tough as hell so far.. yup no flex there we keep silent fixing the 28 ft as had to go for sale

ryanb
06-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Let's get this back on the topic of jet boats, has anyone tried the new all aluminum 4.3 Chevy ecototec motor from Kem?

Claimed 285hp and 331ft pounds in an efficient vvt direct injected 4 stroke motor. Comes in at about 200lbs lighter than a cast iron 350, closing in on sport jet efficiency and weight savings without the noise and 2 stroke oil.

You're talking similar power at the pump to a SJ at about twice the weight by the time you add a pump. A SJ replacement it is not.

bigwhiteys
09-07-2017, 09:00 PM
I've been scouring the river boat threads lately and wanted to revive this one. 2018 seems like as good a year as any to buy a river boat, so I've started researching boats with the intention of buying some time next year. I don't hunt on my own, I've got fast growing boys who want to go everywhere I do. I'm looking for a good, safe boat for hunting/fishing rivers and the odd lake. My budget is $20k-$25k. I've watched some older boats (90's and early 2000's) come and go in this price range over the last few months so I know there is more out there and one will come along.

I'd prefer something from the late 90's/early 2000's that has a few battle scars already. 18-20 ft, UHMW, with a V8 (5.7) because of the abundance of parts and my ability to work on the motor. I don't really care about paint, seats, stereos or fancy interiors. The intention is for this to be a meat wagon and a mode of transportation. Outlaw, Wolfmade and Shuman are the manufacturers I've narrowed in on but both Wolfmade and Shuman are no longer built so the used ones seem to hold their resale value really well. I know there are many other manufacturers too like Marathon, Alicraft, Alumar, Omineca, Weldcraft, Thunderjet, Firefish and more... I'm not against any well-built, safe boat in my price range.

Some questions for those with more experience than myself...?

There seems to be a few boats on the market in the less than $20k range that are running older big block V8's. Other then the weight and fuel cost, what is wrong with big block V8 power in a river boat? I see 460's and 454's are out there in older boats in abundance. I know the 454 is easy to find parts for, not sure about 460's. Fuel consumption in a river boat isn't something I'd whine about but are the big blocks that much worse than a 350 or 351? They aren't working as hard as a smaller motor and would have all the torque and hp needed for hauling hunters and gear. Spending several grand less on a boat that is less desirable because of the big block can buy a lot of fuel.

I see lots of sport jets for sale too, but the cost of a replacement power head scares me a little and they are motors I am unfamiliar with if there was ever an issue. They sure are light though and many boaters seem quite happy with them.

What would you recommend in my price range?

S.W.A.T.
09-07-2017, 09:12 PM
The reason for the small block is fuel injection. Close to the same power but with better fuel consumption and weight. You might not wine at first but putting 70gal of premium into your boat your going to want the best bang for the buck. One thing to consider when buying a jet boat is what water are you going to be running 80% of the time. If your only going to do skinny water once every couple years I would consider a deeper V like 12deg but if your the type that doesn't mind skipping on the rocks better to stay in the 6 to 8 range. Something else to think about is capacity, long run equals packing fuel and that equals weight. Weight is not your friend in a river boat. Do you want rails, mid deck, high deck or walk around. Sky is the limit on those babies. Also age doesn't necessarily reflect price. Hours on engine and pump can be much more important. Also another reason for the 350's is that they are cheap as borsh to fix, bore or replace

fuzzybiscuit
09-08-2017, 07:50 PM
https://s26.postimg.org/8egw0kr49/IMG_0887.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Still running the WT166 Explorer.

I ended up putting a new quick-flow rack and pinion helm and cable in it and a set of Nauticus Smart Tabs on the back. The combo really helped slow the boat down while remaining on step and I've gone from 4 turns of the wheel lock to lock down to 1 1/2. I can keep it on step at 14 mph and by punching the throttle with the quick steering can really throw it around. I gained a couple mph top speed with the tabs too. Two guys loaded light gets about 37 mph top speed on the lake. At 20-24 though it burns very little.

Still not the be-all-end-all but it is relatively cheap to own and run. Being an outboard it has a lot of room in it for its size.

https://s26.postimg.org/6f4vmwm6h/IMG_0884.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

xfactor
09-09-2017, 09:38 PM
How does it handle the weight of the quad in rough water? And any detailed pics of rack and how you mounted it to the gunnels?

okas
09-10-2017, 10:10 AM
big block and a bit wider beam works and go 7 deg. with a bit wider it will draw less water and the big pump has the push . i now just have a 15ft 22inch tube inflatable with a yam 40 jet with jacking plate as crossing big water in the spring you have to get that motor down there and this will pack 3500lbs and drift back to camp