PDA

View Full Version : A great day off

plumberjustin
05-07-2016, 11:31 AM
I've been working 6 days a week for the past month, didn't want the bear season to pass me by. I know it's gonna start really turning on over the next couple weeks, so I made the plan to book a day off this past week and head out for a solo hunt. Based on a tip from another HBC member, I headed out to a local region 2 spot. It wasn't long until the road condition forced me to park and start hiking. I saw no sign whatsoever for the first few Km's. Then bam, scat on the road. Start seeing piles every 40-50 feet, getting fresher as I go. I'm starting to get pumped, must be a bear close in the area.

8:30am, bumped into a big blackie just a few feet inside the tree line, we scared the shit out of each other and he was off like a shot. I held back silently for around 20 minutes, and then stealthily pursued. I followed him up the hill, got to within 15-20yards. He was behind some deadfall huffing and stamping, couldn't get a clean shot through all the branches. We were in a standoff for a bit, then he buggered off into the thicket. I was so exhilarated by this close encounter, had to sit for a break and collect myself. By now I knew that bear was gone so I headed back to the old road and continued my trek.

2:00pm, get into a bunch more really fresh scat, I'm talking still steaming. I immediately drop my pack and sit in the fringe for a few minutes. It's dead quiet in the forest, so I creep slowly around the bend. 5 steps and I get onto another bear, just as he's crapping in the road. It was mega hot, like 25 degrees and I was about 5k from the truck. No way to butcher and hike without the meat spoiling. I had to make the hard decision to let that bear walk. Almost brought a tear to my eye having to pass it up, bear was like 300 pounds. I watched him for a while as he worked down a gully, through the creek and up the other side. Amazing how much ground a bear can cover, in so little time.

In all, I hiked around 18k that day. On my way back to the truck, I stopped and waited for a while in both spots I saw bears earlier. Even at dusk I didn't encounter any more bears. Did see tons of cat tracks, and a big doe around 10 yards allowed me to take a couple photos as she grazed. Was an amazing day out and a welcome break from the daily grind. Got tons of pics of the scenery while enjoying the solice of the great outdoors. Can't wait to get out next weekend, when hopefully a bear hits the dirt.

Xenomorph
05-07-2016, 11:55 AM
That's one awesome day and story, thanks for sharing

last light
05-07-2016, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a great day out. Sometimes it's just as much fun knowing you could have got one and it's a lot less work! Any chance to see the doe pics? Thanks

emerson
05-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Good stuff. I was a little bummed at only seeing 1 bear in 2 times out, but did see 5 elk so not a loss.

metalface
05-07-2016, 02:57 PM
thx for the share. lookin forward to gettin out in reg 2 next weekend too

plumberjustin
05-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Sounds like a great day out. Sometimes it's just as much fun knowing you could have got one and it's a lot less work! Any chance to see the doe pics? Thanks

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r634/plumberjustin/Mobile%20Uploads/23EED159-0050-4B5C-A8BB-7D7C941C84D8_zpsgxgrebif.jpg (http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/plumberjustin/media/Mobile%20Uploads/23EED159-0050-4B5C-A8BB-7D7C941C84D8_zpsgxgrebif.jpg.html)

last light
05-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Wow! That looks like a nice healthy mature blacktail doe. I can't believe how close you got to her. Cool pic! Thanks for posting.

swampthing
05-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Good day! Damn work always gets in the way. Get yourself a big backpack for the next hike. Bone em out, load em up and your on the road in an hour.

two-feet
05-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Getting onto animals is simply the best shit. Makes any day out a good one

boxhitch
05-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Better day than I had , found the poop but not the fur )

Not sure why you left that one standing, I'd have dumped him

plumberjustin
05-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Better day than I had , found the poop but not the fur )

Not sure why you left that one standing, I'd have dumped him

Just didn't think it was a good idea hiking with a pack full of sweaty meat in the blistering sun for 2 hours back to the truck. With all the horror stories of bone sour and rancid fat, and this being my first bear, really didn't want to do all that work just to waste the meat before I got it in the cooler. On the upside, where I was, was a hike in only spot. I had to work to get back where I was, didn't see or hear a soul all day. No dirt bikes or gunshots, so I'm fairly confident I can get back on these bears this coming weekend.