PDA

View Full Version : 12.5" shotgun barrel legal for " hunting "

RiverRunner
05-05-2016, 09:34 PM
First off... I have no intention of hunting with my 12.5" 12g.

but.... I'm a resident hunter with a bear tag who is accompanying another resident hunter with a tag who intends to harvest a black bear with his 308 bolt action.

I'm just there for the trip, to help, drive... And support.

I don't really feal like carrying my 270 wsm bolt...

I'd rather carry my 12.5" barreled 12g with slugs in case any close in issues arise.

Soooo..... I'm good to go in the eyes of the law if checked? If interpreted that I'm technically hunting ... I've got the right papers and tag... But the gun? All I can find is no handguns and a handgun isanything under 12" according to the regs...

Thanks.

caddisguy
05-05-2016, 09:36 PM
First off... I have no intention of hunting with my 12.5" 12g.

but.... I'm a resident hunter with a bear tag who is accompanying another resident hunter with a tag who intends to harvest a black bear with his 308 bolt action.

I'm just there for the trip, to help, drive... And support.

I don't really feal like carrying my 270 wsm bolt...

I'd rather carry my 12.5" barreled 12g with slugs in case any close in issues arise.

Soooo..... I'm good to go in the eyes of the law if checked? If interpreted that I'm technically hunting ... I've got the right papers and tag... But the gun? All I can find is no handguns and a handgun is anything under 12" according to the regs...

Thanks.

No problem if it is a non-restricted firearm and the length has not been modified as to make it a prohib. As long as you aren't hunting with it and it's for defense you're good to go.

I often carry a Dominion Grizzly compact (8.5 inch barrel and small retractable stock) when I'm checking trailcams in the spring. Carrying a rifle for no reason or shooting a bear 5-10km in the bush is not my cup of tea. Have a good trip and good luck to your partner getting a bear!

nedarb2
05-05-2016, 09:40 PM
It's not illegal to take a walk with your gun. Or to use any firearm for defense against an attacking bear.

Beaver Skin
05-05-2016, 11:13 PM
I believe the minimum barrel length for hunting in BC is 12 inches....i think....

capt hook
05-06-2016, 08:50 AM
hmmmm , now i,m curious too , as i heard a shotgun could only be cut to 20"
would be nice to know the factual law?

Slinky Pickle
05-06-2016, 09:01 AM

Welcome to the country of silly gun laws. I have a 24" overall length rifle with a 12" long barrel. If I cut a full sized rifle down to those measurements it would be illegal but because I bought it from the factory that way it's legal. Confused yet??? :roll:

RiverOtter
05-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Lotsa Defenders come with 18.5" barrels....
Not sure how the 12" barrels get a pass, not that I'm opposed to them. I do know if the gun is purchased(new) as non-restriced and has not been modified, it's legal as issued.

No different than the AR type knock offs that get a pass, while AR's get flagged as restricted.

RiverOtter
05-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Welcome to the country of silly gun laws. I have a 24" overall length rifle with a 12" long barrel. If I cut a full sized rifle down to those measurements it would be illegal but because I bought it from the factory that way it's legal. Confused yet??? :roll:
Silly or not, it's nice to see variety come into the market place and see gun manufacturers building guns to fit through the cracks in our silly laws.

IMO, one of two things is gonna happen in the near future, either the loop holes will open the flood gates for less restrictive "Common Sense Laws" or they'll just "Carpet Bomb" the industry and ban semis all together. Under a libtard dictatorship, sadly it's a lot more likely to be the latter........

Squamch
05-06-2016, 10:10 AM

You have a sub-26" OAL rifle that is non-restricted?? What is it?

Shotgun barrels cannot be cut to less than 18", or so that the over all length (OAL) of the firearm is under 26".
A manufactured barrel under 18" can be installed on a non-restricted shotgun, and as long as the OAL is still over 26", it remains non-restricted.

Slinky Pickle
05-06-2016, 10:41 AM

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=196

http://i65.tinypic.com/ngpp1t.jpg

Barracuda
05-06-2016, 11:20 AM

Shotgun barrels cannot be cut to less than 18", or so that the over all length (OAL) of the firearm is under 26".
A manufactured barrel under 18" can be installed on a non-restricted shotgun, and as long as the OAL is still over 26", it remains non-restricted.

if it left the factory as a nonrestricted firearm under 660mm it is legal . if it did not leave under 660 mm and you modify it so then it is no longer non restricted . if you shorten a barrel to less then 470mm then is prohibited but if you purchase a factory barrel that is less then 470mm and the oal remains over 660mm it is non restricted.

Squamch
05-07-2016, 06:44 AM
I didn't realize the ranch hands were under 26" OAL.

Livewire322
05-07-2016, 04:38 PM
I believe the minimum barrel length for hunting in BC is 12 inches....i think....
You are correct!
Can be found on the right side of page three.