PDA

View Full Version : Salmon closures coming???

OOBuck
05-04-2016, 07:36 AM
This is great between Jim Patterson & the FN they slay the sockeye now they want the Chinook as well complete BS!

The sports fishing industry does FAR more for business, jobs & tourism in BC that either listed above, f--kin BS!

http://www.cheknews.ca/sport-anglers-worried-about-possible-fishing-closure-171376/

honeyman76
05-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Sport fisherman are not the problem clearly...We are allowed ten chinook or one a day. I spent hundreds $$ for that one fish. Multiply that by the 10000s of sport fisherman. Its gotta be greater then what is spent by the commercial fisherman.

Not only that, who can afford a salmon in the store!!??? 100 bucks a fish is ridiculous, so my family really actually appreciates the ability to get out there to take a few fish home......

OOBuck
05-04-2016, 08:17 AM
What a great way to kill 50,000 jobs in BC! Sports fishing generates more jobs and business in the province than the commercial or FN fishery combined. Decimate one species, move onto the next is NOT the way of the sports fishing industry, it works to protect, generate and controls the numbers through conservation. Might be time for the other side to consider doing the same!!!!

Spy
05-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Here is a proposal ban all nets from the Fraser river!

Whonnock Boy
05-04-2016, 09:16 AM
I support this proposal.

ruger#1
05-04-2016, 09:20 AM
Here is a proposal ban all nets from the Fraser river! Best idea I heard yet. Keep all the seiners out of its mouth. Nothing but fish vacuums. Make fish ladders around all new hydro generating power plants.

Spy
05-04-2016, 09:24 AM
I support this proposal.
Its long overdue, I would go as far as shutting down the commercial fishery and telling the Feds to **** off and let the province manage the fishery! While I have your ear what does the BCWF have to say about the "proposed" closure? I think its time for another protest!

adriaticum
05-04-2016, 09:37 AM

Well that's just racist

adriaticum
05-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Its long overdue, I would go as far as shutting down the commercial fishery and telling the Feds to **** off and let the province manage the fishery! While I have your ear what does the BCWF have to say about the "proposed" closure? I think its time for another protest!

Changing from Fed to Province is not going to do squat for the fish.
We all need to come to an understanding that when stocks are low first thing to be cut is the commercial export fisheries.
Until we do that, nothing really matters.

Personally, it's not going to happen that I can't fish for my table myself and commercial fisheries can fish for someone else's table somewhere else.
I won't stand for that and will not abide by any rule that implements such a strategy.

Spy
05-04-2016, 09:44 AM
Changing from Fed to Province is not going to do squat for the fish.
We all need to come to an understanding that when stocks are low first thing to be cut is the commercial export fisheries.
Until we do that, nothing really matters.

Personally, it's not going to happen that I can't fish for my table myself and commercial fisheries can fish for someone else's table somewhere else.
I won't stand for that and will not abide by any rule that implements such a strategy.
The reason Im opting for the province to take over the the fishery is the DFO are a waste of time and money! I agree shut the commercials down first!

OOBuck
05-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Better yet "substance" hunting & fishing by traditional methods only.

OOBuck
05-04-2016, 09:50 AM
The FN fishery is a commercial fishery, not a substance fishery and its also a racist fishery. If they want to trade with other bands south of the border
it was never an option to do it in CANS! It wasn't that long ago they stopped a truck load of canned salmon heading south for "trade" F--kin BS!
The government needs to grow some stones!

Iron Glove
05-04-2016, 11:06 AM
The reason Im opting for the province to take over the the fishery is the DFO are a waste of time and money! I agree shut the commercials down first!

Fisheries ( tidal waters ) are a Federal, not Provincial responsibility, will never be changed.

Keta1969
05-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Funny how the commercial guys are getting blasted here and they didn't ask for anything in regards to this article. There hasn't been a commercial fishery in the waters mentioned for probably 20 years in May June July. If you see a "vacuum cleaner" working those waters it will be fishing "food fish" for one of the bands. It's going to be worse this year because I understand they can now legally sell it. I haven't seined for 20 years as I could see the writing on the wall. The commercial guys fought it all the way to the supreme court and actually won but still lost.
At the time we had no support from sports fishermen because they thought even if the natives won sporties would gain. So commercial salmon fishermen are quickly been displaced by First Nations, and they do not give a rats ass about resident sports fishermen. Does this remind you of another allocation issue that we are involved in? And remember DFO's mandate for fisheries is escapement, First Nations,Sports,Commercial. You should be paying attention to who you're behind. Good Luck in your fight but as I once told a sporty years ago "one day you'll be buying your licence from the band office". That is where this is going.

scoutlt1
05-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Funny how the commercial guys are getting blasted here and they didn't ask for anything in regards to this article. There hasn't been a commercial fishery in the waters mentioned for probably 20 years in May June July. If you see a "vacuum cleaner" working those waters it will be fishing "food fish" for one of the bands. It's going to be worse this year because I understand they can now legally sell it. I haven't seined for 20 years as I could see the writing on the wall. The commercial guys fought it all the way to the supreme court and actually won but still lost.
At the time we had no support from sports fishermen because they thought even if the natives won sporties would gain. So commercial salmon fishermen are quickly been displaced by First Nations, and they do not give a rats ass about resident sports fishermen. Does this remind you of another allocation issue that we are involved in? And remember DFO's mandate for fisheries is escapement, First Nations,Sports,Commercial. You should be paying attention to who you're behind. Good Luck in your fight but as I once told a sporty years ago "one day you'll be buying your licence from the band office". That is where this is going.

Amen....
Just like I'm supposedly going to have to buy a hunting license (not f***king likely) from a band office in the Cariboo soon, followed eventually by the rest of B.C.

The racist policies of government departments such as the DFO, which are "defined" by judges in "supreme" courts, enforced by the police, and are allowed to come to fruition by political "leaders" that are only driven by political correctness and the desire to be re-elected, absolutely needs to stop.

Absolutely sick of this s**t!!

adriaticum
05-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Fisheries ( tidal waters ) are a Federal, not Provincial responsibility, will never be changed.

You say that with such certainty as if you know for sure.
Never say never.

Iron Glove
05-04-2016, 10:06 PM
You say that with such certainty as if you know for sure.
Never say never.

OK, never say never but I'll stick with "not in my lifetime". :lol:
The federal Gov't. has historically had control over anything to do with the Oceans, Maritime Trade and Commerce and such and have been very reluctant to give up said control in past. The Supreme Court has ruled in favour of the Feds in such instances. For the Province(s) to take over the Feds would have to "give", it's not for the Province to "take." Too many International treaties and such involved in maritime matters, needs the Feds to deal with.
Last week I was a speaker at a Continuing Education Seminar and my main focus was on Maritime related Law and practice.

Mulehahn
05-05-2016, 04:37 PM

So does the BCWF have a position on this? They are the largest organization of its type in BC, and claim to have their presence in Ottawa. I know this is going to sound like I am just stirring the pot, but I am serious. This type of stuff was where Ed specialized. Now that he is gone (do not want to get into that again)!, has anyone replaced him on the committees? I would strongly suspect that a very high percentage of BCWF members fish as well as hunt.

I looked on the BCWF facebook and website, as well as here and don't see anything. Even if it a statement to say they are looking into it that would go a long way to building confidence and restore some hope after the last few years!

Rupert Retired
05-05-2016, 04:58 PM
As far as the issue of the Province taking over management of tidal waters from the Feds - really? Be careful what you wish for. Sport fishermen have a much better relationship with DFO than the Province. DFO were instrumental in forming the SFAB, which provides the views of sport fishermen to DFO for their consideration (and continue to support the process, including funding of the process itself and designating a sport fish manager for the three Areas), and repeated requests to the Province to participate in this process and actually discuss issues have been rejected. I have been in meetings where the Province shows up, announces a new regulation or initiative, and then leaves, no discussion, no prior heads up, nothing. The Province makes decisions without properly discussing them with sport fishermen and obtaining their input, seeking alternative solutions or modifying proposed upcoming policies. Case in point is the restricted waters regulations, and the mandatory release of bull trout (Dolly Varden) in Region 6 (regardless of any sport fish pressures whatsoever in remote locations, just a blanket closure), and others. So, as I said, be careful of what you wish for. Point out to me a process where the Province actually listens to sport fishermen...

Whonnock Boy
05-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Copy and pasted from the BCWF newsletter.

A joint team of Sport Fishing Institute, BCWF and Sport Fishing Advisory Board leaders recently spent four productive days in Ottawa.
The B.C. sport fishing team met with Fisheries Minister Hunter Tootoo, the Deputy Minister and most of her senior staff. The group also had one-on-one sessions with B.C. MP’s Pamela Goldsmith-Jones, Mel Arnold, Elizabeth May, Mark Strahl, Ken Hardie, Gord Johns, Jati Sidhu, Larry Bagnall, as well as Fisheries Parliamentary Secretary Serge Cormier and B.C. Senator Larry Campbell.
Primary topics of discussion included:

An overview of the social and economic values of the sport fishery;
An introduction to the Vision Implementation Program and its benefits including;
The significance of the looming Fraser River Chinook decision on not only Juan de Fuca rec fisheries but the precedent that it would set for all fisheries.
Improved Catch Monitoring;
Collaborative work on items including the Fishing App;
Measures to protect and improve funding for the SFAB process;

Sport fishing representatives are actively engaged on behalf of Southern Vancouver Island anglers in convincing DFO to stick to its guns regarding maintaining access to Chinook in Juan De Fuca Strait recreational fisheries.

The 2012 policy created three zones of abundance (zone one being the lowest) based on test fishery results, and corresponding management measures that affect all three sectors is the appropriate path forward.
Abandoning the abundance-based approach would be a fundamental policy change that could undermine both domestic fisheries management and Canada’s position as we begin renegotiation of the chinook and coho portions of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

So does the BCWF have a position on this? They are the largest organization of its type in BC, and claim to have their presence in Ottawa. I know this is going to sound like I am just stirring the pot, but I am serious. This type of stuff was where Ed specialized. Now that he is gone (do not want to get into that again)!, has anyone replaced him on the committees? I would strongly suspect that a very high percentage of BCWF members fish as well as hunt.

I looked on the BCWF facebook and website, as well as here and don't see anything. Even if it a statement to say they are looking into it that would go a long way to building confidence and restore some hope after the last few years!

honeyman76
05-05-2016, 06:10 PM
I understand that sports fishing for Chinook will not happen this year on the Fraser and tributaries. Low expected sockeye numbers will supposedly mean that FN will have a sockeye ban, but will have a monopoly on the chinook at the expense of the sports fishing being shut down this year (completely), which really sucks if its all true. It doesn't seem fair really. We can only take ten a year, I can't imagine that destroying the Chinook run. There would be enough for the FN and us I would think...

MichelD
05-05-2016, 06:31 PM
Being a low sockeye year there will not be any commercial sockeye fishery on Fraser river stocks this year in Juan de Fuca, Johnstone strait or the Fraser River.

There is no commercial net fishery for chinook

Mulehahn
05-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Thanks Whonnock Boy. For some reason I didn't receive a copy of the March or April Member's Update in my email.

I really wasn't trying to start anything, and I am truly glad that the issue is being addressed. This would be a huge blow and set a terrible, terrible precedent for all of BC while doing nothing to protect fish stocks.

Airedale
05-05-2016, 07:53 PM
I strongly suspect that having the Province take over Tidal Fisheries would have the sector even more susceptible to lobbying and nepotism than it already is. Stop for a moment and think about what we are already dealing with on the Allocation issue!!

How about DFO divides in to East and West Coast Departments.... where each Department would have an
elevated level of expertise plus full control over it's assigned area. Presently, recommendations made to Ottawa by the West Coast DFO people...and there are many hardworking, dedicated, thoughtful individuals among them...are just that. Ottawa rules.....and often for it's own selfish reasons.

The present system where an East Coast MP from PEI, where Commercial reigns, calls the shots for the Pacific Coast, from Ottawa. is absurd.
An East Coast Fisheries Minister is normally clueless about the West Coast fishery and is "steered" by the Deputy Minister who is a civil servant and in the job for an extended period of time. Whoever has the DM's ear normally comes out on top.
Hopefully our new Liberal Fisheries Minister will take a more involved and informed approach.

Under the present system the only way to influence DFO Ottawa is to have a serving West Coast Liberal MP speak up. The Island chose a
full slate of NDP...plus May...all of whom will be totally ignored by the Liberals for at least the next 3 years.
Hopefully a strong sympathetic informed serving Liberal MP voice can be found somewhere else in BC.

John Duncan could have led a meaningful charge on the recent halibut issue but chose not to. He never really raised it as an issue to his
fellow Cons in Ottawa. And how did that turn out?
And the numbers are now cast in concrete.
Sad....

OOBuck
05-05-2016, 10:45 PM
Interesting... http://action.sumofus.org/a/pattison-vs-prince-rupert/3/9/?sub=fb

Airedale
05-07-2016, 10:42 AM
And now we have a good indicator of how DFO will operate under this new Liberal Minister of Fisheries!!

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2016/05/why-is-dfo-taking-me-to-court.html

Whonnock Boy
05-07-2016, 11:54 AM
Trudeau made many promises during his election campaing, and dealing with fish farming was one of them. I believe we are starting to see a pattern here.

And now we have a good indicator of how DFO will operate under this new Liberal Minister of Fisheries!!

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2016/05/why-is-dfo-taking-me-to-court.html

Tuffcity
05-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Sport fishing representatives are actively engaged on behalf of Southern Vancouver Island anglers in convincing DFO to stick to its guns regarding maintaining access to Chinook in Juan De Fuca Strait recreational fisheries.

The 2012 policy created three zones of abundance (zone one being the lowest) based on test fishery results, and corresponding management measures that affect all three sectors is the appropriate path forward.
Abandoning the abundance-based approach would be a fundamental policy change that could undermine both domestic fisheries management and Canada’s position as we begin renegotiation of the chinook and coho portions of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

Test fishing results can be found here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

Looks like there has been zero early Fraser chinooks caught so far. You can compare it to other years.

RC

adriaticum
05-11-2016, 01:45 PM
First Nations protesters gather on Chilliwack Law Court steps

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/378818781.html

Apparently, Chief, asked DFO for a license to catch one salmon, they denied it.
He caught a salmon anyway.
Now he is in court.
Wondering what will become of this.

adriaticum
05-11-2016, 01:47 PM
Test fishing results can be found here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

Looks like there has been zero early Fraser chinooks caught so far. You can compare it to other years.

RC

In 2013 the results were the same as this year 0.

takla1
05-11-2016, 03:11 PM
not so keen on irradiated salmon myself..japan nuclear still leaking into the pacific and there is next to zero info on radiation levels...as numbers on the runs continue to drop...

conspiracy or fact?? wheres the info?

takla

Jack Russell
05-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Over a decade of relentless drift netting 24/7 has done untold damage to early chinook stocks. The late summer stocks are booming (coincidentally, just when the sockeye are coming in heavy, if you get my drift), but long gone are the days of fishing chinooks in May June and July.

Changing from Fed jurisdiction to the Province won't change a thing, and may actually make the situation even more dire.

Currently, FN are looking to delay the sport chinook fishery and are looking for a greater slice "in compensation" for the expected low sockeye return. It is anticipated there will be an August 1 sport fishing opening. That should make a few people have a little "mouth throw-up".

Piperdown
05-25-2016, 04:10 PM
Frickin FN's have been seining the sockeye runs every year in the river when no one else has had an opening. They are getting to good at it and conservation is not happening. So now what happens, lets see runs are in trouble, now they cant fish for sockeye, so lets take all the springs because we are the keepers of the rivers and of the land. PATHETIC!

ruger#1
05-25-2016, 04:41 PM
http://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/380834181.html

honeyman76
05-25-2016, 05:19 PM
My fingers are crossed for my one rod caught chinook that I get each year. Sports fisherman are clearly not the problem.

bogman
05-26-2016, 07:51 AM
At the time we had no support from sports fishermen because they thought even if the natives won sporties would gain. So commercial salmon fishermen are quickly been displaced by First Nations, and they do not give a rats ass about resident sports fishermen. Does this remind you of another allocation issue that we are involved in? And remember DFO's mandate for fisheries is escapement, First Nations,Sports,Commercial. You should be paying attention to who you're behind. Good Luck in your fight but as I once told a sporty years ago "one day you'll be buying your licence from the band office". That is where this is going.,

Thanks Keta, Well said . I was a vacumn cleaner commie for 30 years before retiring in 2000 and then ran a sports lodge for the next 10. It has always amazed me how Sports and Commercial fisherman could not get together and fight the common fight. DFO does a great job of divide and conquer though

OOBuck
06-02-2016, 07:48 AM
With the resent resignation of the Federal Fisheries minister who's either a drunk or drug addict I can only imagine the outcome

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=881707&binId=1.1180928&playlistPageNum=1

OOBuck
06-02-2016, 07:49 AM
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Waste+salmon+First+Nations+fishery+prompts+complai nt/5460811/story.html (http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Waste+salmon+First+Nations+fishery+prompts+complai nt/5460811/story.html)

Glenny
06-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Which will "prompt" nothing from the fez.

Spy
06-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Ok time to fight back, I'm going to suggest a ban on fishing nets in the Fraser and surrounding areas. Let's start writing the news papers ect, maybe a petition or two. Let's start calling for a ban on the native net fishing on the Fraser. Let's prove with facts and figures how "they" have decimated the stocks all on their own! A Hook and line fishery only will never deplete the stocks! let's organize a protest and make ourselves heard ! Anyone else have ideas?

OOBuck
06-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Ok time to fight back, I'm going to suggest a ban on fishing nets in the Fraser and surrounding areas. Let's start writing the news papers ect, maybe a petition or two. Let's start calling for a ban on the native net fishing on the Fraser. Let's prove with facts and figures how "they" have decimated the stocks all on their own! A Hook and line fishery only will never deplete the stocks! let's organize a protest and make ourselves heard ! Anyone else have ideas?

Anyone else hear that a band close or on the Fraser recently purchased a processing plant???

lip_ripper00
06-02-2016, 11:34 AM
A hay truck tips its load off the Agassiz bridge.......

Spy
06-02-2016, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=lip_ripper00;1784883]A hay truck tips its load off the Agassiz bridge.......[/QUOTE
Im guessing that would fowl the nets?

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=lip_ripper00;1784883]A hay truck tips its load off the Agassiz bridge.......[/QUOTE
Im guessing that would fowl the nets? One bail would sink a net. You would have to be close to the net for it to work. Once the bail fills with water, It sinks. So over the bridge wouldn't do to much.

wideopenthrottle
06-02-2016, 12:23 PM
A hay truck tips its load off the Agassiz bridge.......

took me 3 reads to understand your comment but I get it now.....is there a limit on how many pounds of wet hay are you allowed to catch per gill net...heheheheh

IPA
06-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Just what the fish need, lost nets fishing 24/7 till they fill up with fish and get covered in river silt......

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Watch a net get pulled in. You would be amazed at how many small DEAD sturgeon you will see.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:33 PM
If you want eels for sturgeon fishing. Put a bail of hay in a slough for a couple of days. Then pull it out. You will find eels in the bail.

wideopenthrottle
06-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Watch a net get pulled in. You would be amazed at how many small DEAD sturgeon you will see.

sturgeon seem to get better press than salmon so maybe that is the way to pursue getting nets out of the fraser

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:34 PM
Pictures would help.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:37 PM
I think it is the Lower Lillooet river that goes into Harrison lake. At the bridge there was a net going across the river. It did the whole span. Sad really. There are some nice Dolly's and rainbows up there.

Spy
06-02-2016, 12:38 PM
sturgeon seem to get better press than salmon so maybe that is the way to pursue getting nets out of the fraser
X2 let's fight fire with fire !

Cody1771
06-02-2016, 12:44 PM
most of the Fishery Officers that i've talked to seem to think this closure isn't going to happen.

ruger#1
06-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Population is the problem. To many people after the same thing. More nets, More fishing rods. More Pollution. More run of the river dams. Something is going to collapse.

northernbc
06-02-2016, 01:13 PM
ya things are collapsing , like the country our forefathers gave blood to build.

Spy
06-02-2016, 01:19 PM
You can never out fish the ocean with TWO hooks per line ! But you can destroy whole runs with nets ! Time to make a stand all nets have to go! My first thread on HBC " ban all fishing nets" did I get bent over a barrel on that thread. Now you can see the destruction of net fishing for yourselves!

tigrr
06-02-2016, 09:52 PM
What it boils down too is people buy cheap salmon off the natives. As long as they buy the fish there will be an over harvest of the salmon. Stop the illegal buying and the net fishing with lighten up.

tubby
06-03-2016, 01:05 AM
Nets are the main contributor to why the Fraser stocks are collapsing. Anyone whonthinks otherwise has zero experience or time on the Fraser. Each year it gets worse....

Cody1771
06-03-2016, 07:29 AM
What it boils down too is people buy cheap salmon off the natives. As long as they buy the fish there will be an over harvest of the salmon. Stop the illegal buying and the net fishing with lighten up.
An awful lot of the fish ends up in Alberta on Road side stands, they wouldn't send it that far if they weren't making good money off of it. you are correct, don't but illigal fish!

TPK
06-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Not looking good. Last I heard (May 31) only ONE Chinook caught (that counts). 87% chance we'll be in zone one.

Subject: FN0462-Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) Chinook - May 31, 2016 Abundance Update

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net, COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN0462-Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) Chinook - May 31, 2016 Abundance Update

In 2016, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor returns of Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) chinook. Management of these stocks is based on an in-season assessment of returns using the cumulative catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook caught at the Albion Test Fishery. A three zone management approach is used to identify management actions.

The Department initiated the 2016 season with management actions based on the lowest management zone (zone 1) given uncertainties in expected marine survival rate, and recent years of poor returns for these stock aggregates.

The model developed to predict the return of Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) chinook uses data from the standard chinook net fished by the Albion Test fishery and does not incorporate catch from the multi-panel net (which is currently fished on alternate days). The standard chinook net is an 8 inch (approx. 20 cm) mesh. Catch and effort data are cumulated by week, starting the first full week in May, to provide the input to the model.

In 2016, the Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 24. The total catch for the period of this update (May 1 to May 28) was five (5) chinook, one (1) of which was caught in the standard (8 inch) net. Based on this input to the model, the current predicted return to the mouth of the Fraser for the Spring and Summer 5(2) chinook aggregates is approximately 34,000 fish. There is an 87% probability that the actual post-season abundance of these aggregates will be less than 45,000.

The final in-season update is planned for June 14.

The Department is currently reviewing management actions for Fraser River Spring 5(2) and Summer 5(2) chinook for 2016 fisheries. In the interim, the Department is proceeding with pre-season plans to implement Zone 1 management actions and previously announced fishery management actions to conserve Fraser River chinook remain in effect.

FOR MORE INFORMATION: Kelly Binning (604) 666-3935

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0462
Sent May 31, 2016 at 14:53
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

tubby
06-03-2016, 01:52 PM
FN have been crushing them drift netting and set nets. Albion ain't always the best indicator of what's actually passing through...

Piperdown
06-04-2016, 06:53 AM
If they close the springs to appease the indians that would be complete bullshit. Nothing to do with conservation, just political and if any thing contrary to conserving the runs. Maybe they should think of doing something about the number of seals and what they take. Was cut plugging in Renfrew yesterday, buddy hits a fish, sealed, another buddy, sealed, another buddy, sealed, myself sealed, other buddy lands one 44lbs :shock: , i land one 20 lbs. So 6 fish hooked and 4 gone to the seals. One of my mooching friend is up to double digits there and has only been fishing since 3rd week of April. Maybe the indians should start to target seals and use the meat and hides.

OOBuck
06-08-2016, 07:51 AM
I've heard the decision is coming today but then again we are dealing with the government...

OOBuck
06-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Easy to sell fish when your the only kid on the block with them! “First Nations have always made there livelihoods from the ocean resources and its a really good connection back to the ocean resources being able to be part of today’s economy,” says Johnson.

http://www.cheknews.ca/historic-nanaimo-business-bought-first-nations-183153/

OOBuck
06-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Now I have heard June 17 after the next test fishery...

Piperdown
06-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Hey 00Buck i am going to start calling you Adele,.... rumour has it :shock:

44inchStone
06-10-2016, 11:03 AM
They have the government wrapped around their fingers and we know how they've bent over backwards for them over the many years. Trudeau is a Spineless SOB and his cronies!!. Give it time, we will soon be buying everything fishing related, Hunting tags, trespass fees and all LEH through the specific FN territories. So SAD to see. I'm on the Island and have seen truck loads of sockeye just dumped on a side road because they cannot sell them quick enough. And they want to limit OUR fishing opportunities. Shameful!!!!