View Full Version : Sako A7 Roughtech Pro scope mounting, break in, etc.

JIL_24/7
05-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Hello All,
I am anxiously awaiting my new rifle! It should arrive this week. I feel very blessed to be getting a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in 7mm-Rem mag. I am pairing it with a brand new Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40mm. I will try to use low rings. I would love to hear some thoughts on ring height, especially from current Sako ownders. I am planning on using 160 grain ammo as that matches the 1:9.5 rate of twist of the barrel and I feel that will suffice for anything here in BC. Would love thoughts on Barnes vs. Federal and even on the grain I am planning on using. I am curious as well as to other's ideas on breaking in a barrel. I seem to get a lot of different opinions. I even get different opinions depending on the make of rifle. Is there a real need to break in a barrel? If so what will suffice? It is important to note that I am not a target shooter. I am a hunter and that informs most of my decisions. Thanks

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Clean out the factory goop and fire away. A custom match grade barrel "might" benefit slightly from a break in(As in less fouling over the barrel's life) but I've not seen it in a factory tube.

Not a Sako owner, but mounting your scope low is a great first move. Can't slight your choice in optic or caliber either, looks like your well on your way to great package. Only thing I might suggest, is giving the 140 TTSX an honest try, as there isn't a critter in NA that'll shrug that off.

JIL_24/7
05-02-2016, 04:45 PM
Perfect. I will definitely consider that as it falls in the 140-160 grain suggestion for my rate of turn. Appreciate your input. Thanks again!

Clean out the factory goop and fire away. A custom match grade barrel "might" benefit slightly from a break in(As in less fouling over the barrel's life) but I've not seen it in a factory tube.

Not a Sako owner, but mounting your scope low is a great first move. Can't slight your choice in optic or caliber either, looks like your well on your way to great package. Only thing I might suggest, is giving the 140 TTSX an honest try, as there isn't a critter in NA that'll shrug that off.

Fisher-Dude
05-02-2016, 04:50 PM
I would do a proper barrel break in procedure. But that's just me, others don't bother.

Clean between each of the first 10. Then every second shot of the next 10. Then fire away.

That method has worked well for me.

I've had best results in my 7RM Sako with 150 grain, high ballistic coefficient bullets.

lip_ripper00
05-02-2016, 05:06 PM
I would do a proper barrel break in procedure. But that's just me, others don't bother.

Clean between each of the first 10. Then every second shot of the next 10. Then fire away.

That method has worked well for me.

I've had best results in my 7RM Sako with 150 grain, high ballistic coefficient bullets.

I am the opposite, with my A7 I didn't do anything special, I did give it a good scrubbing after the first range day and a good cleaning when needed, it is a tack driver. Shoot it and enjoy it.

mastercaster
05-02-2016, 06:42 PM
You'll get as many guys saying to do a barrel break in procedure as those who say not to. I did it with my A7 and it shoots very well. I just did it again with my Sako 85 SS 7mm-08. If nothing else at least it's piece of mind. I've also heard that if you do a barrel break in procedure, subsequent cleanings after the fact are quicker. I guess that's for the myth busters to decide. LOL

In terms of mounts/rings I used the lightweight one piece Tallies on mine. It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure they were the lows,,,,possibly the mediums. I like my scope low to the barrel. When it is, my eye piece and my cheek weld line up perfectly.

srupp
05-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Hmm did not do anything fancy with my Sako..just cleaned when needed.
However with the Tsx Copper bullets..it seems to me it fouls more quickly than other ammo.
Seeing its a .338 win mag..it only has one food..lol 225 gr tsx..and on mine it does need a fouling shot or first one out is a tad high..
Good luck great choice..
Srupp

BCBRAD
05-02-2016, 07:27 PM
For a new rifle barrel I just clean the gunk out of it from the manufacturing process etc. Then shoot it , usually takes a while (many shots) to get enough copper down for the rifle to become consistent. Once there shoot it until accuracy suffers, then clean 'lightly' so not to remove all the copper that has been put down.
On my Sako 30-06 it will put 5 shots in an inch or less and I couldn't tell you for sure when the barrel got looked at last, at least 125 rounds through it.
At cleaning time spray with Wipe Out, let sit for 30 minutes or so, put patch on nylon bore brush run through breach to muzzle (not back and forth) until the patch comes out relatively clean.

The last thing I want is a clean barrel for an important shot.

todbartell
05-02-2016, 11:14 PM

like one of them high-tech CorLokt PSP??? :mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
05-03-2016, 10:48 PM
like one of them high-tech CorLokt PSP??? :mrgreen:

Killed a pile of animals with the old style CL 175s with that gun. Before animals morphed into having bulletproof hides and titanium shoulder bones, those bullets killed them no problem.

My, how times have changed.

J-F
05-03-2016, 11:29 PM
Just a word on the scope rings.

I bought a Sako A7 the first year they were around. It came as a package with a Burris Fullfield scope and Burris rings. I put the Burris scope on a different rifle and put a Vortex Viper 2-7 on the A7. These were low rings, I think. The side turret (by which you adjust your scope's point of impact) being prominent, shells would not eject easily. This was fixed by getting a new and more slender scope (Redfield Revolution 2-7).

So, with your scope mounted on it, I'd suggest you check with an empty shell if your rifle can eject it well before ''committing'' to a certain height of scope rings.

Just my experience...

untilthelastbeat
05-04-2016, 05:40 AM
I just sold my roughtech pro after last season. Also in 7 rem mag. Beautiful gun and deadly accurate. I'm a hand loader and this rifle shot Hornady Superformance 162 gr sst so well I just shot factory amo as it was convenient and accurate. Give them a try. I was able to consistently shoot under and inch at 100 and never measured group side but could hit a rock about the size of a deer dead center every time at 800 yards. Have fun they are great guns. A tad bit heavy tho

JIL_24/7
05-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Would you consider the Hornady a good hunting bullet? I have had mixed results with Hornady in the past. Some horrible experiences actually in terms of hunting with it. Haven't tried the Superformance as of yet

I just sold my roughtech pro after last season. Also in 7 rem mag. Beautiful gun and deadly accurate. I'm a hand loader and this rifle shot Hornady Superformance 162 gr sst so well I just shot factory amo as it was convenient and accurate. Give them a try. I was able to consistently shoot under and inch at 100 and never measured group side but could hit a rock about the size of a deer dead center every time at 800 yards. Have fun they are great guns. A tad bit heavy tho

JIL_24/7
05-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Got my rifle today. Man is it ever a beautiful thing! Wish I could shoot it today, but alas I have been confined to the city for now. Looking forward to hunting with it hopefully this spring if I can get it sighted in without too much trouble. Still thinking about which to types of factory ammo I will give a shot to first. Leaning towards the Barnes TSX in 160 grain and the Federal trophy bonded tip in 160 grain.

375shooter
05-05-2016, 08:59 PM
You will never go wrong with TTSX or TSX as a game bullet. There are lots of people on here recommending them. Myself included.

russm86
05-06-2016, 07:32 AM
I picked up a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in .30-06 at the start of this year. I have found Sako barrels to be excellent and haven't seen any benefit in break in so decided not to do it this time. First trip to the range, shot it until it started to settle down which was right around 20 rounds through it and took it home to clean, well the patches came out almost as white as they went in, almost no fouling what so ever, even the wipeout didn't bring anything out so I think the barrel quality and finishing must be top notch, not sure if Sako barrels are hand lapped or not?

JIL_24/7
05-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Got the scope mounted up today. I usually mount my own, but with this rifle I decided to have someone else do it. Not sure I love their choice of rings, but for now it will be fine. I may move to the one piece Talleys next season. I also ended up with one box of the Federal 160 grain trophy bonded and one box of the Barnes 150 grain TSX BT. Can't wait to test them out and see which one shoots the best. Hopefully one of them is good because ammo is stinking expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also got my license and my bear tag. Hope to cut it before the spring season is over.

mastercaster
05-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Got the scope mounted up today. I usually mount my own, but with this rifle I decided to have someone else do it. Not sure I love their choice of rings, but for now it will be fine. I may move to the one piece Talleys next season. I also ended up with one box of the Federal 160 grain trophy bonded and one box of the Barnes 150 grain TSX BT. Can't wait to test them out and see which one shoots the best. Hopefully one of them is good because ammo is stinking expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also got my license and my bear tag. Hope to cut it before the spring season is over.

Some guys like to put a box of cheaper ammo through the barrel first as their break in ammo and then use the good stuff to see which ammo their rifle likes best. The reason being,,,,your gun might need a good 20-25 shots through it before the rifle figures out what it likes, so why use $60 a box ammo to determine that? I should a biox of cheaper stuff first. Just a suggestion.