PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Spike-Fork Bull Season Should Be Lengthened Again

HarryToolips
05-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Just my opinion, and many others I know agree, that the Spike Fork GOS should be changed back to where it was before the last regulation cycle we just had (pre 2014), in region 8 and bordering MU's of region 3...this is just from my observations on the West and East side of the lake, and even after spending some time in the Christian Valley - there is lots of moose sign everywhere, and I've seen good calf recruitment the last couple years for sure, including a decent amount of twins.. and lots on my T-cams, as well as those of some people I know in the Christian Valley, cams don't lie, where we've had em the bull:cow ratio also looks very healthy, definitely above the ratios the Ministry wants..I know this is just a small portion of the whole regions, but that's just my opinion...lets hear yours..

.264winmag
05-02-2016, 02:26 PM
"Unicorns" should be open all season IMO!

358mag
05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Fire up the popcorn machine :cool:

wrenchhead
05-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Ya it would be nice if the season started like late October and ended nov 10 to coincide with mule deer season.

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 04:28 PM
I honestly haven't noticed a change in my area, at least not for the better. Haven't wasted money on a moose tag for quite some time, save for the years I head way north.

Fisher-Dude
05-02-2016, 04:32 PM
At this point, it's unlikely to happen.

A lack of data on population composition means we have to manage conservatively. Bull:cow ratios from the data we do have indicates harvest can't be increased.

We've asked for CI to be switched from elk (6 point season doesn't need a CI) to moose so that we can gather antler profile info on the LEH harvest portion to determine if we can open make some other season changes that might allow opportunity increases without harvest increases.

Until we have data, we can't lengthen or change any seasons.

I'd like to see LEH gone and replaced with a GOS on some other antler configuration (eg 10 point, tri-palm, or some other such rule). If harvest levels stay the same, but everyone is allowed to hunt moose, it's a winning combination.

LEH odds of you killing a mature moose in the Okanagan were 1 bull in 56 years before Christy handed over our tags to the outfitters. Good fricken' luck with that!

HarryToolips
05-02-2016, 04:44 PM
^^^i completely agree with you, eliminate the LEH in these area completely, and open up another sustainable season...what's CI???

HarryToolips
05-02-2016, 04:49 PM
"Unicorns" should be open all season IMO!
Lol well at least Oct 15-Nov 15 like before....I should also say from my observations in the West Kootenay, there's a lot less moose seen (including moose sign) compared to region 8 and my areas of region 3 I explore..and the WK season is Sept 20- Oct 31....

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 04:54 PM
CI=Compulsory Inspection

walks with deer
05-02-2016, 08:37 PM
The issue is you can't have a open season thats better than another season in close proximatey than the better season will get to much pressure.

HarryToolips
05-02-2016, 08:55 PM
^^^^the WK is right beside region 8, does it suffer from this problem??

40incher
05-02-2016, 09:09 PM
At this point, it's unlikely to happen.

A lack of data on population composition means we have to manage conservatively. Bull:cow ratios from the data we do have indicates harvest can't be increased.

We've asked for CI to be switched from elk (6 point season doesn't need a CI) to moose so that we can gather antler profile info on the LEH harvest portion to determine if we can open make some other season changes that might allow opportunity increases without harvest increases.

Until we have data, we can't lengthen or change any seasons.

I'd like to see LEH gone and replaced with a GOS on some other antler configuration (eg 10 point, tri-palm, or some other such rule). If harvest levels stay the same, but everyone is allowed to hunt moose, it's a winning combination.

LEH odds of you killing a mature moose in the Okanagan were 1 bull in 56 years before Christy handed over our tags to the outfitters. Good fricken' luck with that!

I agree ... even though we are from a northern region of BC and are not affected by your regulations.

Any GOS , with whatever agreed-to tine restrictions ... is way better than giving the sole control of moose hunting to the MFLNRO bureaucrats the GOABC and their supposed "wisdom".

LEH, at the end of the day, is a restriction ... not a benefit! It has overly-restricted us "resident hunters" for far too long.

Time to change the game and get some real "resident priority".

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 09:10 PM
The issue is you can't have a open season thats better than another season in close proximatey than the better season will get to much pressure.
Happens all the time, look at the Region 3 Mule deer season compared to Region 8.

2forty
05-03-2016, 08:52 PM
I agree my boys and I seen many moose last year in region 8, including 5 bulls.

walks with deer
05-04-2016, 10:46 PM
Yes region 3 does get the extra pressure especially on unit's closey boarding access point I live in 3 and hunt 8 first than 3 due to longer season so I am just as guilty of extra pressure.

adriaticum
05-04-2016, 10:58 PM
What made you reach that conclusion?
How many have you seen lately?

tuner
05-04-2016, 11:11 PM
The government itself has said that moose populations in the south/central okanagan and the boundary country are doing really well, but I doubt it will translate into more liberal seasons.

HarryToolips
05-05-2016, 12:32 PM
What made you reach that conclusion?
How many have you seen lately?
Not so much lately, but a lot of sign...tonnes of sign...and T cam pics..