PDA

View Full Version : Disaster spring bear trip

caddisguy
05-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Saturday morning, walked into our spot... bear noticed us before we noticed him. He must have been sleeping between some brush and the bluff. He jumped up and started booking it up the bluff then paused. I had him lined up broadside for the double lung. CLICK! WTF?! Reminiscent of a few years ago when we had a bear at 7 yards and CLICK (which IMHO was the loudest "shot' ever fired) ... in fact, it was actually the exact same spot and I suspect it was even the same bear. Must have horseshoes up his ass, or does he?

Back 2 years ago when that happened, I suspected bad ammo but now I am not so sure. It was the only misfire I have ever had with that rifle, and center fire ammunition for that matter. I have fired a few hundred rounds through that rifle before and after the first misfire and a dozen or so after the second (which is where it now looks iffy with the wimpy dent) When it originally happened, the dent from the firing pin was indistinguishable from a spent round. This time, not so much... hardly a knick.

I left caddisgirl as the scene incase the bear came back so I could walk a few km's and figure out what the heck is going on with that rifle. I popped a full mag in, chambered one, CLICK. Waited a minute, popped out the round... again not much of a dent. I repeated this a couple times with the same result. I had noticed the mag was not feeding too reliably, so I placed one directly in the chamber and gave it a go. BANG. Ok so that works. I wanted to test again, but I had told caddisgirl that two shots means bear down (ya we need radios or something) ... I was somewhat satisfied and hiked back. We sat for another couple hours until the heat of the day kicked in. It was too quiet for too long. Went back to camp for lunch and a nap.

After lunch I wandered off to try with the magazine again. I had noticed that the bolt did seem a bit loose and tightened it. 4 shots in a row, all good. Hmm... maybe it's ok now? Hope so.

Later that evening, around 5:30 or 6pm we headed back into our spot. Wind in our favor... excellent. The bear was back (well, 95% sure it was the same bear anyway) ... this time he did not notice we were there. I lined him up again, CLICK. Omg are you serious?! caddisgirl was still a couple steps out of having visual. I dropped to the ground of sight. "crap! shoot it!" ... she made a few steps to see the bear and lined it up. BOOM. The bear started running up the bluff again like before and paused. I had chambered another round, perhaps earlier than safe for a potential hangfire and squeezed the trigger. CLICK. The bear continued, but this time headed down after rounding the corner, rather than heading up further (in this terrain, 10-15 yards means completely out of sight) He must be hit and going up didn't feel too good? We could hear him walking around in the thick stuff. We stopped hearing him completely and figured we knew where he should be.

Waited a little bit and we went in, but from the opposite side of the timber we heard him in as it was less thick and better probability of intercepting him if he was still on the move. It was still crap of course, plowing through devils crap and all sorts of nasty stuff... but hey, going after a potentially injured bear where I can't see 3 yards ahead makes for a good Saturday evening right?

Then we heard him. He was climbing trees. There are hundreds of tall trees, but traveling 15 yards between one tree and the next can take a few minutes. I think we must have treed him in a couple of different trees over the next hour, but the sound was always 15-20 yards out and we couldn't figure out which tree it was.

caddisgirl took a tumble walking over some wind blown crap and smashed forehead pretty hard... her glasses dug into her face pretty bad but did not break luckily. She kept it together like a champ, but as time went on her eyes were swelling up like crazy affecting vision, nose was leaking pretty good and she was really feeling it, so we got her back to camp.

There was still an hour and a half of light. I needed to get back out there. This time, I had to start by the book. I went back to ground zero. Nothing. No blood, no fur, no nothing. I searched ground zero like sherlock holmes and went up the bluff on the narrow ridge where the bear went up, zig-zaging back and forth, backtracking and then zig-zaging my way through again. Still nothing. I ended up connecting back up with where we made it to before, coming from the opposite side of the timber. Again, I hear a bear climbing up or down a tree. For the life of me I can not find him. It's getting dark and I have a lot of crap to walk through so I started making my way out.

This morning with caddisgirl sporting a couple black eyes, we decided to check both of this bears favorite hangouts (a little meadow and hidden section of creek) to look for sign of injured bear. Still nothing. We did find fresh piles of scat, but that was all. It is still eating away at me though. A couple years back I shot at a deer and there was no blood trail, but I came up on the same deer a couple weeks later half buried and mostly eaten and to this day it bothers me not knowing.

Today on our way out I fired some rounds through my rifle, trying to figure it out. The first two (from my mag) misfired... 4 inserted directly fired perfectly, then 4 from my wifes mag fired perfectly, then 4 from my mag fired perfectly. What the heck. I suspect it had something to do with the mag or how exactly it is seated. I have some dummy rounds I guess I'll have to mess around with to see if I can replicate the wimpy-click.

Exciting weekend, but disappointing at best, tragic at worst. Wondering what the HBC consensus is on this. Since I was ducked down I could not see if the bear got hit. It did not let out any sort of woof and and up the bluff like nothing happened. The part where it decided to go down the corner of the bluff made me think hit... but then all the tree climbing and lack of any sign made me think not hit. I don't know what to think. I get that bears have a lot of fur and as such can leave not-much of a trail. I wish I had dogs or something.

Seems like no matter how many times I shoot my rifle, too often something fails at the the most critical time. And despite how many times we practice different shots, this is the second time in 3 years an animal did not drop.

Thoughts of probability of the bear was hit? Anyone with dogs in the LML and day off tomorrow think they can help? If so please PM and we can work something out.

Brew
05-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Hope caddisgirl is healing up.
Looks like you should get a smith to look at your gun. Nothing worse than a gun you can't trust. Too bad about the bear. Hes probably just fine. You did your best looking for him. Happens sometimes.

two-feet
05-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Get a new rifle! Had a misfire/malfunction/wounded animal disaster myself a few years back, worst expirience to date. Suck it up, learn from your mistakes and never pack a rifle unless you are certain it will perform.
Tough luck, shitty hunt but get back on that horse.

caddisguy
05-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Hope caddisgirl is healing up.
Looks like you should get a smith to look at your gun. Nothing worse than a gun you can't trust. Too bad about the bear. Hes probably just fine. You did your best looking for him. Happens sometimes.

She's ok and not feeling dizzy anymore and migraine is gone which is good. Sporting one black eye and one not-quite-so-black eye. She made me proud plowing through the thick of it until she was too impaired by the swelling and dizziness to be safe. Very proud actually... can't think of any other hunting partners who would have covered so much devils club and tick infested ground with an injury. Wasn't a bad tick weekend actually... 4 for me, 3 for her... none had a chance to dig in. I figured we would have come out of that crap with dozens.

The gun might just get retired. It has a bit of sentimental value but might not be worth the gunsmith or ammo used to test. FWIW it's a Savage Axis XP.

375shooter
05-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Interesting story. Too bad it didn't work out in your favour. If the bear was hit, there's a good chance it wasn't a lethal one. What rifle and ammo are you using? Consider using a bullet that will guarantee complete pass throughs. Two holes are better than one for producing blood trails, especially for bears.

Salmon Belly
05-01-2016, 03:19 PM
At the first sign of malfunction (the first click) IMO it's best to shelve that particular rifle until it can be repaired or you're 100% certain it won't happen again. I get that means pulling out of the hunt if it's the only rifle you have with you, but I think that's the best approach all around. Sounds like your wife had a rifle and took the shot and may have missed, which happens and she was a trooper with the injury.

Most important thing is having confidence in the rifle.

SB

monasheemountainman
05-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Get a new rifle! Had a misfire/malfunction/wounded animal disaster myself a few years back, worst expirience to date. Suck it up, learn from your mistakes and never pack a rifle unless you are certain it will perform.
Tough luck, shitty hunt but get back on that horse.

x2 I had a beautiful rifle thatI had wanted for a long time...flash forward nice whitetail buck at 200 yards 3 clean misses while the deer just looked at me....I had more ammo but I didn't shoot at it anymore... sold that P.O.S the next day....although Im fairly certain it wasn't the rifles fault. My point is if your rifle doesn't work properly every time then get a new one! even if its your fault lol

caddisguy
05-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Interesting story. Too bad it didn't work out in your favour. If the bear was hit, there's a good chance it wasn't a lethal one. What rifle and ammo are you using? Consider using a bullet that will guarantee complete pass throughs. Two holes are better than one for producing blood trails, especially for bears.

150gr Remmington Core-Lokt, 30-06.

Man I hope that bear is ok. I had so much trouble sleeping dreaming about it, waking up and feeling ticks crawl. I want to be 1000% certain that bear is ok.

I know I probably can't legally pay someone to help me with dogs, but if anyone with dogs is free tomorrow and thinks there is a 1% chance this is worthwhile hit me up and we will make it all good either way.

caddisguy
05-01-2016, 03:34 PM
At the first sign of malfunction (the first click) IMO it's best to shelve that particular rifle until it can be repaired or you're 100% certain it won't happen again. I get that means pulling out of the hunt if it's the only rifle you have with you, but I think that's the best approach all around. Sounds like your wife had a rifle and took the shot and may have missed, which happens and she was a trooper with the injury.

SB

My wife has a similar 30-06. It works just fine. I'm wondering if she jerked it under the stress. We practice by drinking lots of caffeine and running around to get the heart up and taking standing shots to control breathing with the heart rate up... maybe the real thing is still more intense for her. I'm confident in her shooting and that is the kicker. As for my gun, I won't use it until I know for sure. I wonder how long I have been walking around thinking I'm like rambo with a messed up gun. That could have got me in trouble. Maybe it's good I found out this way (backup shooter) ... hey if there's ever a reason to pack bear spray, this is it!!

I'll try to figure out the 30-06 over the summer and see if it can be salvaged. I'd like caddisgirl to get her first big game animal this spring and will take the 12 gauge as the backup gun. Most of our bear encounters are within 10-15 yards so it should do just fine... we smell them before we seen them.

ACE
05-01-2016, 03:59 PM
At the first sign of malfunction (the first click) IMO it's best to shelve that particular rifle until it can be repaired or you're 100% certain it won't happen again. I get that means pulling out of the hunt if it's the only rifle you have with you, but I think that's the best approach all around ........

SB

X3 ..... If there's any doubt about your rifle ..... pull out of the hunt until you and your rifle are sorted out.
Particularly with potentially dangerous game.
Dis-respectful to the hunted game to do otherwise.

Hoping you use a different 'proven' rifle .....
You'll always doubt the rifle you have.

j270wsm
05-01-2016, 04:41 PM
Your obviously having an issue with the bolt and it should be looked at ASAP. Would suck to be face to face with a bear and hear......CLICK

b.c hunter 88
05-01-2016, 05:00 PM
theirs no worse feeling than a wounded animal when i first started hunting i got my rifle set up after missing 5 wounding a one i spent a month doing nothing more than shooting making sure my shot counts. trick is to shoot before hunting season make sure your gear up to date. wish i could help you.

Jagermeister
05-01-2016, 05:46 PM
I suspect the firing pin and or spring. It may have a lot of crud built up. If you have the panache to disassemble then clean it. If not, head for your nearest gunsmith.
If you think the bear was wounded, then check the nearby water sources, particularly ones that have soft soil for banks. Old timer long gone gave me that tip when he toppled a bear out of ponderosa pine tree and we lost sight of it. He told me to keep an eye on the avenue to the creek and holler if the bear was bolting for it. He said that bears will head for water if wounded. The old timer was a outdoors man and a veteran of WW1.
As for the bear, dead at the foot of the tree.

Gateholio
05-01-2016, 05:48 PM
It's probably the rifle but its surprising how many factory rounds go click instead of bang.

Rhyno
05-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Bears are the worse for not leaving any blood! 2 of the last 3 I have shot were double lung that passed through. Neither left very much blood, if any until a few yards from piling up.

I have lost one bear before and still feel terrible years later, hopefully yours was a miss. Sounds like you did what you could to look for it.

Still lots of bear season left, good luck!

caddisguy
05-01-2016, 10:11 PM
I suspect the firing pin and or spring. It may have a lot of crud built up. If you have the panache to disassemble then clean it. If not, head for your nearest gunsmith.
If you think the bear was wounded, then check the nearby water sources, particularly ones that have soft soil for banks. Old timer long gone gave me that tip when he toppled a bear out of ponderosa pine tree and we lost sight of it. He told me to keep an eye on the avenue to the creek and holler if the bear was bolting for it. He said that bears will head for water if wounded. The old timer was a outdoors man and a veteran of WW1.
As for the bear, dead at the foot of the tree.

Taking apart the bolt was the first order of business. I was really hoping to find some crud but no such luck.

I remembered hearing that wounded animals would head for water. There was a spot where the creek runs through the timber that had a lot of scat, so we checked along there this morning.

caddisguy
05-01-2016, 10:14 PM
It's probably the rifle but its surprising how many factory rounds go click instead of bang.

The misfire a couple years back I suspect ammo, but the recent ones the firing pin does not appear to be making good contact at all. When it happens, I also don't feel or hear much of a click.

375shooter
05-01-2016, 10:23 PM
The misfire a couple years back I suspect ammo, but the recent ones the firing pin does not appear to be making good contact at all. When it happens, I also don't feel or hear much of a click.

If there is no crud build-up, the rifle could have a weak firing pin spring and/or rough striker assembly. A gunsmith should be able to fix it up you up. Another option is to upgrade to one of the top three (IMO). Tikka T3, Weatherby Vanguard, or Browning X-Bolt.:smile:

375shooter
05-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Don't let this experience discourage yourself and Caddisgirl. It happens. It's possible that the shot was too low and creased the brisket . It's fairly easy to do on bears because of the fur. The shot should be placed half way up from the bottom. I'm sure Caddisgirl will make a perfect shot next time.

Drillbit
05-01-2016, 10:44 PM

I've only ever found that with surplus ammo and bolt actions. Semi's always hit hard enough.

caddisguy
05-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Bears are the worse for not leaving any blood! 2 of the last 3 I have shot were double lung that passed through. Neither left very much blood, if any until a few yards from piling up.

I have lost one bear before and still feel terrible years later, hopefully yours was a miss. Sounds like you did what you could to look for it.

Still lots of bear season left, good luck!

How far did they go? In this case I think we can rule out lung shot as we could hear him climbing up or down trees 30-60 mins later... though it's also possible there were other bears around.

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 01:52 AM
The climbing trees part strikes me as odd behaviour for a wounded bear, especially since it did it several times.

Your rifle on the other hand is definitely wounded and needs to be fixed. Actually made me cringe when you headed into the shrubs after a potentially wounded bear. If the inner bolt body is crud free, then I would be looking at replacing the spring and testing the rifle again with the intent of making it fail. A bad factory round is out of your control, a malfunctioning rifle is not.

High fives to CG, lotsa respect for people who suck it up and push forward.

Hunter gatherer
05-02-2016, 05:32 AM
Take that unReliable POS and trade it in on a real gun that you can pass on to your grand kid,Winchester,Browning etc.Known two people who had that rifle,both got rid of them.With the cost and time involved in hunting the last thing you want is a gun,scope that costs you an animal.

BgBlkDg
05-02-2016, 05:35 AM
This sort of malfunction is FAR more common in rifles than most will admit, I have seen a number of such issues and with some VERY costly and highly regarded makes of rifles. I managed a gunstore for awhile and you would be surprised at the rifles that came in for repair that had failed in average field conditions.

I have learned, the hard way, to thoroughly test EVERY rifle on the range and to TRY to make it malfunction and if one does, I either fix it or sell it and TELL a buyer what the issue is/was. I have come to strongly prefer "old" Mod. 70s, FN Mauser actioned sporters and properly tweaked Classic 70s, with tuned HVAs for my rifles and I own only ONE PF, a full custom Remmy 7 completely reworked by the late Mick McPhee and Mitch Kendall.....and, I DO NOT use it in Grizzly country.

I have, overall, in more than 50 years of packing rifles all over BC and some of AB, found the "old" Mod. 70 to give me fewer issues and be easier to maintain in the bush, than any other rifle, although some Brnos are right up there. I actually had issues with my first Dakota 76-.338WM, fixed it myself and then had Martini's customize it for me, but, ANY rifle CAN go @@##$%^^$@.

So, take yours to a GOOD repair man, Reliable Gun, in Vancouver, is an excellent choice and get it tuned to utter reliability. Tiny "bragging groups" on the range are great, but, "click" in the weeds is a real PITA and could get you munched. JMHO.

Rhyno
05-02-2016, 05:59 AM
How far did they go? In this case I think we can rule out lung shot as we could hear him climbing up or down trees 30-60 mins later... though it's also possible there were other bears around.

Not any more than 50 yards. Yes I agree the tree climbing sounds like odd behaviour.

caddisguy
05-02-2016, 07:44 AM
The climbing trees part strikes me as odd behaviour for a wounded bear, especially since it did it several times.

It's possible it was the same tree, but I am going with multiple based on thinking we had closed the distance to where we initially heard it. That said, it is a loud unmistakable sound that carries and could have been further than I estimated. In hind sight, we did have a small branch fall out of one tree. We looked up best we could and couldn't see anything. In hind sight I should have examined the branch to see how it broke and how recently. There was a bit of a breeze. It is also possible we treed a different bear.

Your rifle on the other hand is definitely wounded and needs to be fixed. Actually made me cringe when you headed into the shrubs after a potentially wounded bear. If the inner bolt body is crud free, then I would be looking at replacing the spring and testing the rifle again with the intent of making it fail. A bad factory round is out of your control, a malfunctioning rifle is not.

High fives to CG, lotsa respect for people who suck it up and push forward.

More hind sight thinking and perhaps a lesson is that I need to be more calm and calculative during a pursuit like this. Wanting to find it before dark and knowing there was a lot of brush and thick timber to cover mae me less observant and more focused on the task than safety. I was moving way too fast and when possible signs came up (ie: tracks in soft soil, branch falling) I was not taking the time to analyze (ie: I could guess how fresh the track is but could be wrong... and if it is fresh, it could be a different bear, or same bear a few hours ago). I was relying more on scent and sound than my eyes or brain. For the initial bushwhack, I probably could have walked right by a piled up bear or right into a live bear. My second and third search attempts were a little better. I think adreneline was clouding my judgement. Going in was the right thing to do, but we should have moved at the same pace and taking in our surroundings as if we were hunting. caddisgirl paid for it with a couple black eyes (and has to go to work like that today) my black eye is strictly psychological and could be worse... at one point I found myself climbing down a steep embankment (pretty much a cliff) got down a ways to realize risk of falling was high... was almost ledged up but managed to climb back out.

As for the gun, this was technically the 3rd time it failed at close range and now on some test shots. Nothing obvious with the bolt so it is retired until fixed. I'll mess with some dummy rounds to see if I can replicate it. We'll probably finish the season with caddisgirl's rifle and a shotgun for backup. As of now I don't feel like hunting at all... my inspiration is that if I don't I'll regret it in the off season. Hoping this feeling goes away soon. Couldn't sleep last night wondering if it was hit and replaying the search in my head thinking I could have done better. Last night was worse than the 1st night because there is no more searching. Maybe being back at work will actually help keep me distracted.

Gateholio
05-02-2016, 08:05 AM
I've only ever found that with surplus ammo and bolt actions. Semi's always hit hard enough.

This has not been my experience, and I get to see quite a bit of pew pew pew :)

landphil
05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
The misfire / light primer strike issue may be related to excessive head clearance as well - either excessive headspace in the chamber of the rifle, or undersized brass in your ammo.

As for the missed or unrecovered bear, don't beat yourself up too much - it happens sometimes no matter hard a guy (or gal) tries to make sure it doesn't. Sounds like you did all you could attempting to locate it, it's a game of coulda-woulda-shoulda now. Not to say you can't learn from it, but I've worn those shoes before and beatings don't help. ;)

Andrewh
05-02-2016, 08:34 AM
I am betting you hit the bear. In an area like you described, chances are it was a pretty close range shot. Close range shots mean huge room for error while still hitting the target.

Remember gut shots bleed very little if any...

.264winmag
05-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't lose too much sleep over the bear, shit happens. It's a horrible gut feeling I know, that's what makes us become better hunters'. Whether it be practicing or upgrading gear. Anyone that does enjoy to watch an animal suffer is twisted.
The rifle on the other hand needs bolt work I'd bet, that would keep me awake at night. Get er looked at and get back out for mr yogi...

russm
05-02-2016, 09:05 AM
I upgraded to a browning over the winter, ive got an axis ill sell you ;)

Ltbullken
05-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a firing pin/bolt issue. It might be as simple as disassemble the bolt, clean up bolt, spring and firing pin and reassemble. Or the pin and/or spring is broken and needs replacement. But if it's not the firing pin/spring, it could also be a trigger assembly issue. THAT needs a gunsmith to look at! Which would be cheaper than buying a new rifle... but it is a Savage after all... so no big loss... :p

But it would be worth having a gunsmith look at it.

Xenomorph
05-02-2016, 11:54 AM
150gr Remmington Core-Lokt, 30-06.

Man I hope that bear is ok. I had so much trouble sleeping dreaming about it, waking up and feeling ticks crawl. I want to be 1000% certain that bear is ok.

I know I probably can't legally pay someone to help me with dogs, but if anyone with dogs is free tomorrow and thinks there is a 1% chance this is worthwhile hit me up and we will make it all good either way.

When I bought my rifle I shot two boxes of Core-Lokt 30-06 to break in the rifle. From two boxes 6 were duds. I kid you not, brand new rifle, never since had I experience that with any other ammo. I know some will swear and stand by Core-Lokts, I would love to be able to, but ever since I shoot Hornady and Nosler, and no duds, no misfires.

Buddy at the shop couldn't believe it too, must have been a bad batch because it was too much of a coincidence.

Hope your girl is doing better.

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Curious, did you try recycling any of the misfired rounds a second time? Is your wifes gun same/same 30-06?

That'd be another course of action to rule out ammo as the issue. Though you did mention light primer strikes, but regardless, it is perfectly safe to refire an unfired round in an appropriately chambered rifle.

Keep us posted on progress.

VLD43
05-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Quite the story. Hope Mrs Caddisguy is OK. Did she see a Doctor on her return? The dizziness thing almost sounds like a mild concussion?

As for your rifle problem, have you taken the bolt out of the rifle and tried to cycle it, as in put it in the fired position. Then check to see that the firing pin is not hanging up and is protruding from the bolt face sufficiently? If your not comfortable doing this, then obviously a Gunsmith is your next stop. Your going to have to include or exclude possibilities, based on observation and measurement. Good luck

caddisguy
05-02-2016, 03:24 PM
When I bought my rifle I shot two boxes of Core-Lokt 30-06 to break in the rifle. From two boxes 6 were duds. I kid you not, brand new rifle, never since had I experience that with any other ammo. I know some will swear and stand by Core-Lokts, I would love to be able to, but ever since I shoot Hornady and Nosler, and no duds, no misfires.

Buddy at the shop couldn't believe it too, must have been a bad batch because it was too much of a coincidence.

Hope your girl is doing better.

I am pretty sure it is not the ammo, as there is not much of a dent from the firing pin strikes on the failed rounds. Two years ago when I had a misfire, I was pretty confident it was the ammo since the strike was indistinguishable when compared with a spent round.

caddisguy
05-02-2016, 03:25 PM
Curious, did you try recycling any of the misfired rounds a second time? Is your wifes gun same/same 30-06?

That'd be another course of action to rule out ammo as the issue. Though you did mention light primer strikes, but regardless, it is perfectly safe to refire an unfired round in an appropriately chambered rifle.

Keep us posted on progress.

The failed rounds did fire on subsequent tries.

Her rifle is very similar. It is a Savage Axis XP 2 or some slightly newer revision.

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 03:34 PM
If the rounds fail in her rifle as well, it'd be ammo. Hers is 30-06 as well, correct?

caddisguy
05-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Quite the story. Hope Mrs Caddisguy is OK. Did she see a Doctor on her return? The dizziness thing almost sounds like a mild concussion?

As for your rifle problem, have you taken the bolt out of the rifle and tried to cycle it, as in put it in the fired position. Then check to see that the firing pin is not hanging up and is protruding from the bolt face sufficiently? If your not comfortable doing this, then obviously a Gunsmith is your next stop. Your going to have to include or exclude possibilities, based on observation and measurement. Good luck

I was worried about the possibility of a concussion too at the onset of the dizziness and felt mixed feelings about leaving her alone to go look for the bear or sign for another hour and a half. She was doing quite a bit better by the time I returned so we opted to stay the night and search more the next morning. I thought maybe she broke her nose because of the dual black eyes, but it seems ok. I believe the bruising is from the glasses she was wearing. We are very fortunate the glasses did not shatter. Amazing part is they did not break or bend at all. Apparently they are built tougher than my rifle. I think between taking the shot without hearing protection (things were happening way too quickly with the bear closing the distance), the adrenaline and physical demands of plowing through the brush and timber and the fall she so overwhelmed it was affecting her nerves so to speak.

I have taken the bolt out of the rifle and cycled it. I believe firing pin is protruding sufficiently. I have disassembled and re-assembled and everything looks good to my untrained eyes. Hoping to give everything a good look over tonight, including the trigger assembly (this one is fairly simple) and cycle / dry fire some dummy rounds to see if I can make any additional observations. Otherwise it is off to the gun smith.

caddisguy
05-02-2016, 03:54 PM
If the rounds fail in her rifle as well, it'd be ammo. Hers is 30-06 as well, correct?

Edited typo on my last post. The rounds did fire (not fail) on subsequent attempts from my rifle.

Her rifle is a 30-06 and we use the same ammo. She has yet to have a misfire.

Elkhound
05-02-2016, 04:07 PM
Happened to me a few times at the range last year. Turned out to be a weak spring in my old Ruger m77 with the tang safety. New spring and she was as good as new

RiverOtter
05-02-2016, 04:24 PM
With that said, it might be worth a pic heavy email to Savage, outlining your issues and concerns with their product. They might ship out a new spring gratis or direct you to a warranty depot for rectification.

Noticed your edit as well, thanks.

caddisguy
05-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Heading back out tomorrow. caddisgirl can't go so I'm taking her rifle. I haven't had time to figure mine out yet or get it looked at.

Kind of scared going alone... not ashamed to admit though. I remember last year vividly on a bear and packing out until well after midnight and blowing an air horn at another bear that wanted to graze around uncomfortably close to us. First blast of the air horn it ran a bit... came back a few mins later... next blast it only retreated 10 yards or so... after that it didn't care so we just had to keep an eye on it. Sure will be spooky if I drop one right after the sun tucks behind the mountain and end up working under a headlamp and packing back and forth for a few hours.

Not too optimistic I'll end up with this years ham-bear-ger this weekend... been a long week working like a dog only getting a few hours each night and I can see myself halfassing it already but gotta get out there nonetheless. Wish me luck!! :) Taking my SPOT so they can find the pile of bear poop containing my SPOT lol

375shooter
05-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Heading back out tomorrow. caddisgirl can't go so I'm taking her rifle. I haven't had time to figure mine out yet or get it looked at.

Kind of scared going alone... not ashamed to admit though. I remember last year vividly on a bear and packing out until well after midnight and blowing an air horn at another bear that wanted to graze around uncomfortably close to us. First blast of the air horn it ran a bit... came back a few mins later... next blast it only retreated 10 yards or so... after that it didn't care so we just had to keep an eye on it. Sure will be spooky if I drop one right after the sun tucks behind the mountain and end up working under a headlamp and packing back and forth for a few hours.

Not too optimistic I'll end up with this years ham-bear-ger this weekend... been a long week working like a dog only getting a few hours each night and I can see myself halfassing it already but gotta get out there nonetheless. Wish me luck!! :) Taking my SPOT so they can find the pile of bear poop containing my SPOT lol

Don't worry too much about going out alone. I'm sure you'll make it back alive.;)

I'm also very busy at work. Making lots of money.:grin: But should be able to get out to my black bear area next weekend.

Good luck.

boxhitch
05-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Some tough luck there, hang in there it should get better

......... I had noticed that the bolt did seem a bit loose and tightened it. 4 shots in a row, all good. Hmm... maybe it's ok now? Hope so...........
Which 'bolt' ?

caddisguy
05-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Some tough luck there, hang in there it should get better

Which 'bolt' ?

The bolt assembly screw wasn't completely snug. Seems it wasn't the issue though. It is sure strange how the light primer strikes are sporadic, varying from hardly a scratch to regular impact. It made me think human variable factor (ie: loading quietly / slowly versus quickly with more force) I have also read something about the possibility of a "sticky spring" ... could definitely be a spring issue but I wouldn't figure weak spring as it is sporadic (good dent verus barely noticeable scratch. It could all be in my head, but it seems when the problem happens, the "click" is very wimpy (can barely feel/hear it) ... however I have been unable to replicate it with dummy rounds or dry fire.

It also seemed more reliable (0 misfires) if I chambered the cartridge by hand, but haven't tested enough for that to carry any weight. I'm not impressed with the mag, that's for sure. I actually lost my original mag (in your neck of the woods boxhitch) and ordered a replacement from Cabelas. It only (seemingly) feeds reliably with 2 rounds... 3 is iffy and with 4 it is unlikely the round will get chambered.

I have read a number of other cases of Savage Axis light primer strikes where guys have sent in their rifle and got it back working with notes that just say "replaced small parts". Would be nice if they can just say what the issue is... probably the same all around.

Another variable is ammo. I used to use Winchester but recently I have been using Remmington core lokt. Maybe the rifle has always had issues and it's presenting itself more with different ammo. I did find some Winchester for my trip in the unlikely event there is something wrong with the ammo.

One more misfire (this trip will be with wifes rifle which has never misfired) on a bear within a few meters and I might as well switch to a spear.

BRvalley
05-06-2016, 08:05 AM
it sounds like you've googled the issue and is fairly common, savage does stand behind their products, just the downside of mailing your rifle away but they have shipped me ejector parts without fuss before too....if you feel comfortable stripping your bolt apart, a simple cleaning might solve the issue...I swapped out the factory spring for a stronger wolf spring, and this link helped me my first time

http://www.switchbarrel.com/Spring.htm

good luck, and if the gun fails you can always rely on the trusty Chuck Norris round house kick to the face, I took down a charging bull grouse with that move once

Lastcar
05-06-2016, 11:09 AM
If you want to chat with the guys at Reliable and see if they think they can be of help. I am a few blocks away from them. I plan to go to the Mission range for a day next week.

We could work out a spot to meet up or I could possible swing by your place if I am coming by after work hours.

Once they are done with it, sort out a time to get it back to you. I am through the valley regularly this time of year.

If you're comfortable handing it over to a "stranger". Didn't completely catch up on the whole thread so you may already have a plan.

Katanajay
05-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Hope you made it back from your exploration trip. Any sign of the bear? I am free Friday or Sunday if you want some back up on your next trip in looking for him.

caddisguy
05-09-2016, 08:00 AM
Got back yesterday around 4pm. It was an enjoyable trip and I was happy to see sign left by the bear from last week. I'm no scat expert, but I'm pretty confident about matching up turds and knowing which one is which bear. He is still around but avoiding the spot where we met, which is also the same spot I like to sit and wait. Probably a lot of wasted time sitting there, but I did anyway, watching the humming birds zipping around, alligator lizards crawling about, grouse drumming in the distance and a couple muley/blacktail hybrids. I heard some major rustling around in the thick bush the bear I'm looking for likes to sleep, but he did not come out.

Once the heat of the day hit around 11:30 I needed to take a break. It must have been in the low 30's around and getting hotter. I had a few hours to kill, as I had talked my brother into showing up later in the afternoon. I hid in the shade by the jeep and had a nice big lunch (breakfast was only a redbull) and a very cold beer I left in the creek. After lunch I spent a few hours sorting the jeep and cleaning the mess that has been accumulating on the ground in this spot over the years. It wasn't too bad but I filled up a garbage bag with coffee cups, a few cans and a lot of old spent shells. Deactivated a number of live ones too by dumping/burning the powder and smashing the primers. While cleaning up I met a hiker and chatted a while. Brother showed up around 3. He has never been hunting but sure likes it when I make bear burgers so he was willing to have my back for the evening. Got him fixed up with camo and cover scent (lemon grass and pine oil diluted and applied with a spray bottle)

4pm I walked him near the spot we would spend the eve so he knew where we would sit and how to get there quietly. After that it was off to a secluded area where the creek goes through the timber into a small opening about the size of an ally and length of a city block between the timber and hill side... nice mix of grass, shade and cool creek. There were a few piles of scat that weren't there last week which I believe were the same bear. Stayed an hour and a bit. I actually wanted to get my scent around there to keep it spooky for him so he would come to the more-open spot we would sit the rest of the evening. Kept showing my brother every time I busted a tick crawling on me so he knew what to watch for. He thought it was odd I picked up so many while he picked up none.

We were in our spot around 6:00pm and sat until it was getting dark. Figured we'd cover ground walking back for last light. About 50 yards before our vehicles a very strong scent of bear stopped me in my tracks. There was very little wind, but I found the direction and walked another 10 yards. It was so strong as if I was leaning over field dressing it. Wow! It was too dark now so we wandered back. I think I fell asleep within 5 mins of getting in my sleeping bag.

Next morning I looked around where we smelled the bear. Found more of his scat and freshly eaten grass. It makes sense. He is hitting a place I never bother going (because there was never sign before) and it just happens to be greening up. I also discovered that he or some other large critter unearthed where I had buried my own sign the morning prior. Thought that was a bit strange lol

We went on to walk around in a couple other hours. Found fresh scat, still green and stinky from a sow and one or more cubs. Moved on to the next spot. Helped a family with blown tire and flat undersized spare (i always back a jumper/compressor) at the start of the trail, and went for a long walk. Stopped when we heard something moving around in the impenetrable bush. It sounded like it was digging. Waited a while to see if it would come out. Still early for fawns but gave the fawn call a try. No dice. A ways further down the trail, I came across two huge piles of scat. Same location I had found huge piles 2 years prior. Width is around 30-06 round and the piles were just huge. Man that guy must be a tank!! A ways further we heard some odd sounds way way up an old cut block above the tree line. It sounded like the vocalizations of a hollywood bear. Very loud mix of howling/moaning/groaning but a little bit like a moose. There is the odd moose around and we found a few piles of nugs from this year. Made me wonder if Mr Tank was eating a moose alive lol ... anyone ever heard a sound like that before?

Then my brother got nailed by his first tick. I've never seen a tick stuck so bad. It did not come out cleanly but I think we managed to clean out the head afterwards. I was a bit worried the ticks, long hours and uncomfortable sitting might put him off, but he is wanting to get his hunting license. Has a PAL already just needs to do the CORE.

I also tried out my SPOT for the first time. It seems like all the check-in's work, but a number of tracking notices on the drive in didn't show up on the map. I had it on my dash and the notices are numbered. Since there is a gap in the numbers, I can only assume they messages went through (which according to the LED's on the spot, they did) but did not show up nonetheless. Interesting gadget, but based on the testing, I figure if I ever needed to use it for SOS, it's probably a 75% shot.

That's about it! No bear but a great trip. I'll be out again next weekend with caddisgirl for another try. Based on my 3 seasons of spring bear hunting, it seems like a 1/3 chance of getting a good chance at a bear, so between this weekend and the next, the odds will be in our favor. Things are greening up really fast now though, so the bears have more options as to where they want to hang out... makes it a little bit more difficult, but they are still bears and are at the mercy of their stomachs... it's not like they are blacktail bucks!!

375shooter
05-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Good update! Interesting read.

Whonnock Boy
05-09-2016, 10:02 PM
What he said.

Good update! Interesting read.

RiverOtter
05-09-2016, 10:24 PM
It is coming into bear rut, maybe you overheard some bear fornication.....?

shortrange
05-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Something like that happened to me on Saturday. I was north of Campbell River scouting a few logging roads and I came upon a big boar scratching a tree. I bought my gun up, worked the lever, and put blackie in the crosshairs. I let out half a breath and squeezed the trigger. CLICK! WTF? Turned out I put the safety on when I was walking the road, even though the chamber was empty. I checked the gun, got it going and as I triggered the gun the second time the bear started running. I think the bullet ruffled his hair, I was that close to hitting him. I tracked him for an hour and was hearing his footfalls in the brush every so often, but I never saw him again. Mrs. Shortrange was hunting with me and I sincerely doubt that I will hear the end of it. Yep, she is going to remind me until the day I die...

caddisguy
05-10-2016, 07:16 AM
It is coming into bear rut, maybe you overheard some bear fornication.....?

It is possible. I do not know enough about bear or moose vocalization to take a guess. All I can really say about it is that it sounded like a hollywood bear attack... the roar the bear makes with its jaws wide open before the human gets mauled ... not the raspy/throaty growl but the more nasal like roar and the sound was similar to cattle. If you think of a cow going "moooooo" and just change the word to "rrroooooaaar" that is getting close... I thought of the tone more of a groan, like something in pain would make. Tho if bears vocalize anything like "some" people, maybe hanky panky... thought the rut starts a few weeks later though. Sounds were about 3-4 seconds long and 10-30 seconds apart. It was coming from at least 500M in the treeline way up a steep north facing slash. I couldn't help but associate the sound with the bear that made the impressive pile of scat on the road... width around 3 inches and quite a mound of it. I imagined that bear was either injured, pissed off or a moose was being eaten alive... getting it on though, possible too... wished I knew more... might google a bit

caddisguy
05-10-2016, 07:42 AM
For the main purpose of this thread, I am downgrading it to "unlucky spring bear trip". Gun troubles on one encounter, miss on a second encounter. Some lessons learned, some black eyes, some work to do but all good.

I was so worried it was a hit and we just couldn't find it. That would be a disaster. Stressed me out for a week but now I see he's still around making his signature poops and avoiding me like the plague. Pretty sure it was him who dug up my signature as well... "know your enemy" lol

I think we will get him in the next couple weeks. Other than that bear, we just have a sow with cubs and some seemingly huge bear that has been around the last 3 years that we have never actually seen.

boxhitch
05-10-2016, 12:35 PM
It is coming into bear rut, maybe you overheard some bear fornication.....?or maybe a cougar caterwaul .