PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic Blended Picture

Brambles
06-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Here is a series of photo's that I blended together to get a panoramic photo of a spot I'm going to look for mulies. What do you guys think of this spot for highcountry mulies, what part looks the most mulie to you?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/mysteryridgepanoramic.jpg

Chuck
06-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Yup that sure looks like Kootenay mulie country to me! But where will they most likely be? Well your guess is as good as mine, but I like that timber area just below the talus slopes centre picture. Also to the left, the big draw between the tops and also the semi open slopes to the far left. If I was to walk through the picture, what I discovered would dictate a lot as to which direction (up or down, left or right) I would take, trails, spoor, droppings etc. Also binoculars and eyes wide open. :)

todbartell
06-07-2007, 11:22 PM
they will be hidin behind that there tree somewhere in the middle

Phil
06-07-2007, 11:29 PM
I'd be looking in those vallies and the edges of the openings. Although they could be anywhere:confused:

hunter1947
06-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Far left mountain would be the one for me ,less rock there and it is a lot taller mt.

boxhitch
06-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Not to sure of those slopes, but what is on the other side ?

Jelvis
06-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Where I started out hunting in that area shown would depend on access roads, what type of vehicle, the time of season, hunting pressure, weather condition, how long I had to hunt, hunting alone or with partners. I would think anywhere in that picture you hunted you could find deer, nice pics. It all looks mulies.

Fisher-Dude
06-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Not to sure of those slopes, but what is on the other side ?

X2...look in the thick crap on the north-facing slopes.

GoatGuy
06-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm trying to think of where that is, nothing coming to mind in your part of the world - once I figure that out I can tell you where the muley's are.:mrgreen:

Brambles
06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm trying to think of where that is, nothing coming to mind in your part of the world - once I figure that out I can tell you where the muley's are.:mrgreen:

Well just tell me where the mulies are and I"ll tell you if that is this picture:mrgreen:

There is no road access to this area, strictly a hike in and ridge hopp, as far as whats on the other side, not too sure yet, you can glass it from a FSR WAY down in the far valley but you can't see the upper fringes.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-08-2007, 12:01 PM
There is no road access to this area, strictly a hike in and ridge hopp, as far as whats on the other side, not too sure yet, you can glass it from a FSR WAY down in the far valley but you can't see the upper fringes.

Oogle it with Google!8)

I've got some pics that I tried to panaramically blend but my crappy photo program screws then all up!:mad:

SSS

Brambles
06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Oogle it with Google!8)

I've got some pics that I tried to panaramically blend but my crappy photo program screws then all up!:mad:

SSS

Google is great if the area is in High definition but this area isn't so it doesn't really show you much detail.

I used the program that came with my Canon camera, make sure when you take the photo's that you overlap them a bit and keep the zoom the same for all the pictures

Stone Sheep Steve
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Try BC Land Data maps-Ortho photos. I don't have the link here at work but you can zoom in close enough the see trails8).

My pics should overlap perfectly...same zoom and everything you need...just a dazed and confused program.

SSS

GoatGuy
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Well just tell me where the mulies are and I"ll tell you if that is this picture:mrgreen:

hehehehe! :wink:

Go for a scout in there in July and you'll know what's hanging around.

Not too many 'tame' alpine spots like that in the WK.

bruin
06-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Looks like fairly dry country, this summer i think I would concentrate on the timbered bowl and it's edges on the right hand side for the most part.

ruger#1
06-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Take the horses in there boys. Look for highly used game trails and hang in those areas. Take your elk bugle. Looks like a fun place to hunt.

WoodOx
06-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, Brambles, I can tell you exactly where that is, as a matter of fact so can anyone on this site. PM me and ill tell you how.

Technology can be a huge help, or hindrance to those who arent careful :D

Brambles
06-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Here are some more closeups, this ridge runs North - South and we are looking at it from the West to East, not sure if this is a great early season aspect but they might cross the ridge to stay away from the sun as it rises

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0834.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0836.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0835.jpg

WoodOx
06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
I would still say hit the far side in July. Check like youre hunting sheep - peek over edges and glass around. Spend the day up there, it looks nice I am sure youll find something poking around and feeding.

Post some pics of hogs in velvet if you get some :D

Rubicon500
06-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Talk to Steveo, Alpine85, or Mattb Those guys are wizards on Mircrosoft paint and Editing photos LMAO :mrgreen:

Brambles
06-19-2007, 08:44 PM
Typical human behavior, "gotta find out whats on the back side":-D. Does anyone think that the mulies might be in there summer spots yet, do they move up with the snow or do they lag behind for a while?

dana
06-19-2007, 09:15 PM
There will already be bucks up that high regardless of how much snow is in there. Still too early to get a feel for how big a buck will be. By the longweekend you'll see more tine definition but that can still be early. You can get an idea of 160+ bucks just no idea of how much they'll grow past that point.
As for where the bucks are in that pan, I'd be looking in the talus.

Jelvis
06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I'm not an expert but I know some things, for one, at higher elevations the days are hot, nights cool so animals forsake low lands for higher country. Deers range is smaller in the summer they get what they need in better quantity. A deer is seldom more than 400 yards from cover at anytime but in summer cover is close around the deer. Deer need at least 5 litres of water a day in summer and eat plants in water for sodium. Check ponds etc. Bucks seldom seen when sun is visible in summer they feed at night in summer. Look under trees and upturned rocks where there is shade the buck will move to stay in the shadows. Mule bucks antlers will be formed to max in velvet approimately Aug 15 th, now they are trying to protect their soft antlers up high in the wind, even flies bother them when on the velvet. good luck. Deer don't like heat after about 16 degrees or so celcius. Jel Climb high climb far.

Brambles
06-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the insight Dana, I remember seeing your video of Widebugger when he and his buddy were running in the rocks and the one photo where it looked like he was almost bedded in the rocks. Is this typical Mulie behavior? Can't say I've ever glassed deer in the rocks, but hell, maybe I'm not looking close enough.

Do you worry much about the aspect, ie North, South, East Or West facing slopes. I've seen deer on just about all aspects but do you find one produces better than the other?

Brambles

dana
06-19-2007, 10:30 PM
It's those rocks that they love to bed in. They blend in and they can get plenty of shade without having to get up too often to follow the shade. Very hard to pick them out after they are bedded. But if you can catch them feeding at first light right at the edge of the rocks, you'll be able to watch them bed. I actually find more deer on southern aspects than northern. This is opposite of what the pros in the States teach. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it ain't very hot in the high country even at the peak of the summer. That wind is always bonechillin'. That wind also keeps the bugs off those blood invested velvet racks of theirs. Their beddings spots need a good wind.
Jelvis hinted at water. A muley in the desert only needs to water every 3 days. In the alpine of BC, a buck doesn't need to water at all. The feed is very lush and they can get all their water from that. Water sources aren't something that you really need to focus too much attention on. Except for the extreme dryer southern alpine regions, most alpine has a ton of creeks flowing. Water can be found everywhere most of the time.

WoodOx
06-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I must be mistaken. Isn't the summer the best time to catch deer feeding much later into the day, and earlier in the evening than typically throughout hunting season?

Brambles
06-20-2007, 07:11 AM
great info, thanks Dana

hunter1947
06-20-2007, 07:20 AM
I must be mistaken. Isn't the summer the best time to catch deer feeding much later into the day, and earlier in the evening than typically throughout hunting season?
When scouting deer hear on the island ,the big bucks were headed from the slash into the big timber shortly after it was light enough to see ,just the smaller ones stayed out after sunrise ,i saw this time after time and this was not in a area around housing ,it was into remote areas.

Chuck
06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Very interesting info guys! I've crawled a lot of WK mountains in my day and often wondered where in heck they "go" in the summer. Talus slopes, windy areas etc. About the only thing that bothers me is scouting too early is running into trouble because of the growers and their crops.

Jelvis
06-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Not trying to argue but need to clarify about deer require water in summer and can't get it from dry food. A deer is not able to convert dry food into water { as many rodents do ). Deer have a daily requirement of about 1.4 litres per hundred lbs of body weight in the winter and 2 to 3 litres per hundre weight in the summer. We're not in the desert of the south west with borros etc we are in the north west. Water and nutrition helps against parasites too, in winter deer lick ice and eat snow, thru the year they get dew moisture on things they eat after a rain too etc. Bio Leroy Rutske In his humble opinion I would say its not easy swallowing dry grass and digesting stuff with no water also. Jelly

Fisher-Dude
06-20-2007, 02:00 PM
In the heat of summer, with lots of bugs, I usually find bucks out in the open cutblocks. They use the wind to keep the skeeters away. Come the first frost of September and the bugs die, those bucks go back into the ESSF on the north faces and hide.

So, where the summer scouting shows a pile of deer in the cuts, they seem to disappear for opening day...and here we thought they just read the huntin' regs! :wink:

boxhitch
06-20-2007, 03:36 PM
About the only thing that bothers me is scouting too early is running into trouble because of the growers and their crops.

Thats a downside. I bet it happens about as often as bear attacks.

dana
06-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Jelvis,
Question for ya? Have you ever been above treeline? Do you know why the big boys head high? It is because of that lush veg that grows big antlers. It ain't no dry grass they are after. It's the alpine wildflowers. Doesn't matter if it is +37 in the shade in the valley bottom, in the highcountry that veg is always wet. Heck, I normally am soaked by the time I climb up to my glassin spots. ;)

Aguacher,
First Light and Last light are the best times to scout. In the summer that means you have to be a darn early riser to beat the sun. If I ain't doing a coyote trip, I normally set the alarm for 2:00 am. Prime time scoutin is 4:00-7:00. You want to catch the bucks before they bed for the day. They may get up a couple of times throughout the day to switch beds, but it is a crapshoot that you will be lookin at the right place at the right time when they get up for less than 2 mins. I've found late evening isn't as productive as early morning. Most of the action happens after 8:30. Heck, when you've got the long light of the high country, you can still pick up the odd buck just making their move at 10:00 pm. If conditions are muggy and buggy, you can expect the bucks will be bedded before light.

The little guys do get up and feed more often. So if you can't do the early morning scout, focus your attention on those little guys. The big boys like to use those little guys as bait. Many times there are 2 or 3 dinks in a bachelor group and if you continue to glass around where they are, you may find that piece of antler or ear flick that lets you know where the big boys chose to bed.

frenchbar
06-20-2007, 06:35 PM
All good info on alpine hunting dana,what about those hidden depressions,usually located below the rimrock,where the rocks meet up with the vegetation in those huge bowls ,those big guys can hide in them all day with out been seen unless your directly above them, do you see a lot of that where you hunt dana .ive rann into a lot of them littlle hidy holes over the years.

hunter1947
06-20-2007, 06:51 PM
From my experience ,deer get most of there water from there food ,but when there near some water they will drink it if it is there and they need to..

WoodOx
06-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Again, thanks for your responses.

Do you find you can see at 4am onthe top?

dana
06-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Aguacher,
In July you can be easily glassin by 4:15. Like I said, it's pretty hard to beat the light unless you coyote it. I find coyote trips are the best bang for my buck. I can get 2 glassin sessions in without too much sacrifice. Leave in the late afternoon on a Saturday, climb a mountain so you are set up for the last 2 hours of glassin, sleep under the stars or a bivy and wake up for glassin at 4. Glass until 8 or 9 and be back home shortly after noon. That's a lot of good scoutin hours put in without too much effort. If all I have is a morn, it's 2 am. That's a hard pill to swallow for most guys on their weekends. But I'll do that Sat and Sun for multiple weekends just for that rare chance I might find a monster.

Frenchbar,
Those little depressions are killer to try to glass into, but the bucks know that. Last summer I found a 200 inch 5x5 (180+ mainframe with 2 giant inlines) bedded in a depression. I saw him as got up to move beds. He was only up for less than 2 mins. Of course, his second bed was out of sight in another small depression. I map out all my buck sightings. When you know the mountain, it sure makes it easier spotting the deer. I was watching that depression because I'd seen bucks there in years past.

JMac
06-20-2007, 07:26 PM
IMO, the shale slides above/below the rims and in those passes are where it's at. There should be deer trails from many...many years cut into those slides and passes. In region three and five highcountry it's not uncommon to see deer beds and trails in the shale going right up and over 8/9000 foot peaks or in low saddles connecting mountain tops. Some of these nests hold snow/glacier patches that are the start of little creeks that are the beginning of many larger creeks and rivers way down in the valley floor. Some run in all directions and give way to lush avalanche lillies, lupines etc...................God's Country!

Jelvis
06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
You hunters, are just too good I mean you got it covered every which way but loose, I can't keep up with you high mountain hikers. I know big rusty bucks like to bed up against RIMROCK because of the shade it provides and the backstop for predators from creepin from behind. I think all you guys would believe bucks go higher than does up in the mountains at least we can agree on that one thing right, Jelly bean

dana
06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Jelvis,
It is my experience that bucks do tend to go higher than does. As a matter of fact, it is quite rare to see a doe above treeline. They focus on totally different feed for the summer. Bucks focus on feed that helps grow their antlers, does focus on feed that helps produce good milk for the younguns. When you do see a doe above treeline, she normally is young. I believe she is a twin sister to one of the young bucks, and she just tags along with bro her first summer away from mom.

WoodOx
06-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Hmm, cool. What exactly are these depressions you speak of?

Jelvis
06-20-2007, 08:55 PM
You know what I would like to do in my area is find migration trails, I mean all the way down from the hieght of the land to the Nor River just think all the way down different trails coming together and becoming one in spots over the century. That kind of thinking turns my crank, along the gorges and drainages. I guess start from the bottom and work up. Trails over the years even wearing trails into the rock and shale, I saw some already like that, I gotta do it again and connect them, I know it's not that easy because deer would be to smart to make it that easy. I'm sure you hunters could tell me about deer trails that impressed you , if you would.

frenchbar
06-20-2007, 09:00 PM
agaucher.they look like small craters,they differ in size,but most are deep enough that you would never know it was there if you were looking parralel at it .a lot of them will have fine dirt and gravel in them and usualy there will be more than a few well used beds in them,the bucks stay cool and out of sight in them.

Phreddy
06-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Get up high, the higher the better, and sit at the top of any of the clear areas, well before daylight....dry camp the night before if possible, and you will pick up the larger bucks as they move up from the lower areas.
Big mulies I've got are always bedded down during the day in spots like you would be sitting in, as it gives them an excellent view of anyone trying to sneak up on them from below. The key is to get there before they do. It's just a matter of getting out of the vehicle and putting in the time and effort.

Brambles
06-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Here's another mountain in the same area, the ridge we were looking at before is to the right of these photo's, not far maybe 1000 yards, this mountian is south facing the first picture is the top half and the second picture is the bottom half to the valley bottom. Bottom looks a little Grizz like.

As far as I can see on google earth the ridge that we have been discussing joins this mountain on its backside and forms somewhat of a loop, not an easy loop when you get more north but I think its doable, in total it looks like 8 miles round trip if you don't do any sidetracking. The problem is getting something out before it spoils.

What do you think of these

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0838.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0843.jpg

dana
06-20-2007, 09:35 PM
You get up high, this might just be the view in your spotter.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug12017.jpg

Brambles,
Those Avalanche Chutes are Muley Magnets. They'll bed in the rocks, feed in the chutes. As for packin a muley out of that country, it really isn't as hard as you think. Too many people get hung up on packin'. Look what the sheep guys do. Hunting high country muleys is no different.

ruttinbuck
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
nice buck dana.RB

Brambles
06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
That would be AWESOME:biggrin:

Jelvis
06-20-2007, 09:41 PM
That is perfect country and it is funtastic, wow, and Steve what is that massive growth on that deers head?

Brambles
06-20-2007, 09:42 PM
That is perfect country and it is funtastic, wow, and Steve what is that massive growth on that deers head?

Its a tinfoil hat, paranoid deer:mrgreen:

steveo32
06-20-2007, 09:43 PM
awsome pic thru the spotter dana, was that last summer the buck i heard about???? I never got to see the pics of your scouting and i will probably miss out again this year :cry: Hope you find some hogs in the alpine, this year i gotta head north july 15th so i wont even get to set foot in the alpine but i look forward to matts updates on the hog muleys you find.

Also the best part about guiding is when i finally get to get back on the computer and see matts high country pictures and story, he seems to make alpine muley hunting look to easy, lets see what he drops this year

steve

dana
06-20-2007, 09:45 PM
That buck is the small guy. He was hanging with that 200 inch 5x5 I was talking about earlier. Sure wished I had of got some footage of the 5x5. As for this buck, a small dink pestered this guy until he got up. That is the advantage of watching the little guys. I'm hoping this typical shows up again this year. I think he's young and he has some great potential to be a shooter in a few years.

steveo32
06-20-2007, 09:56 PM
ya he sure does hopefully you can find the monster inline guy this year and see what he has up top. Maybe even have cody up in the alpine for the youth season to whack a monster in velvet

steve

dana
06-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Here's an example of a buck bedded with his back against the rocks. He was on a high side of a small depression. In the depression was a monster typical that only showed himself for a brief couple of seconds. I stayed glued to my spotter for hours waiting for that typical to show again. I worked around the depression and peeked in from another angle. I never saw that typical ever again. He must have snuck down the depression and out the backdoor.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0464.jpg

dana
06-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Steveo,
If my scouting turns up some good quality bucks, you can bet Cody will be up in the high country Sept 1.

Brambles
06-20-2007, 10:10 PM
I never saw that typical ever again. He must have snuck down the depression and out the backdoor.

He must have had his tinfoil hat on, and thats how he knew you were there:-D

Nice little meat buck, bedding on rocks, who would have thunk it?8)

dana
06-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Wonder what this guy is going to look like this year?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_2329.jpg

Alpine85
06-21-2007, 05:52 AM
Man Steve them pics are sure adding fuel to the fire..... just if a guy didn't have to work for July & August.....oh and September and November, :roll:

Brambles
06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Wonder what this guy is going to look like this year?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_2329.jpg

Looks like he needs a few years to sort out whats going on on his head

mcrae
06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Brambles

Need some company:-D Country looks familiar:mrgreen: I have been pre-scouting a little ridge and hell hole as well. I shouldva kept the 6lbs Model Seven.........

dana
06-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Brambles,
I took that pic in July of 05. I think he should be right about the right age this year to be a potential shooter. ;)

Brambles
06-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Brambles,
I took that pic in July of 05. I think he should be right about the right age this year to be a potential shooter. ;)

How old do you figure, 5 or 6 years old this year? Give him another year, be a sport.

How big is Cody holding out for, do you want him to work up to the big boys or do you want his first mulie to be a freak? Just wondering because it might affect they way he looks at hunting in the future. Personally I don't have an answer to my question, In about 10- 14 years I will be faced with the same problem, ease them in with a few dinkers or jump in with both feet and hammer a hog...:confused:

dana
06-21-2007, 05:46 PM
He told me he wants a buck bigger than Samson (the 295 inch giant on Muley Crazy's Legend of the Strip). :) It'll be my goal to find some real decent bucks this summer above treeline that I can pattern and we'll see how things unfold come the Sept 1st youth season. It'll be totally up to him. If he wants to take a spiker or pass until it's a 170 class buck or better, it's his choice. We'll probably have an anterless tag to fall back on and he'll be hunting moose, bear and whiteys as well. And don't forget chickens. :)

dana
06-21-2007, 05:56 PM
As for how old that dropper buck will be, probably 4. He should be just growing into his genetics.

Jelvis
06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
It takes 5 and a half years to be a trophy size muley buck up tp 8 and a half then start to decline, full skeletel size 4 and a half gain weight till 8 and a half then decline. 1 and a half can breed but prevented from breeding by older bucks, bio Charles K Winkler

dana
06-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Jelvis,
When you combine genetics and good eats you can have a trophy buck by 3 1/2. 1st year of antler growth, basket 4. 2nd year, 140-150 4 point. 3rd year, 160-170. 4th year, the skys the limit. I've seen 200 inch 4 year old bucks. 5-9 they will be in their prime. 10-12, downhill slide.

Jelvis
06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
I believe you Steve, A first year buck can Have four points? How big would they be?

dana
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
I see basket racked 4 points yearlings all the time. Sometimes their genetics shine thru and you'll get yearling nontypicals like these ones.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/April28047a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Apr17012a.jpg

Jelvis
06-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Right on good stuff

dana
06-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Here's a buck I was fortunate to watch grow up.

2 years old
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0378.jpg

4 years old (200+ inches)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0270.jpg

5 years old (215+ inches)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/WB2003d.jpg

dana
06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
6 years old (38 inch wide 200 inch typical)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0191.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/IMG_0647.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/MatchedSet001a.jpg

Brambles
06-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Great photo's, think he's dead of old age or kitty poo by now?

dana
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
A buck has a lot going against him. Human hunters are probably the least of his problems. #1 predator of mule deer is the lion. There was a big pile of lion scat within yards of where I found one of those sheds.

Jelvis
06-21-2007, 09:53 PM
The cougar is the number one killer, then the coyote which kill fawns and adult deer, a single coyote can kill an adult but two team up and kill or in a pack, bio P. Quentin Thomas. Cougar kill recognized by the neck of deer broken or bite in throat area. The cougar stalks the deer. Cougar kills fifty deer a year mostly old, sick or infirm. bio Frank C. Hibben. Blacktail deer on Van. Island, cougar kills 35 a year mostly mature bucks because they go higher up than does where the cougars are, Bioligist report. They say different areas different amounts of kills per cougar.

WoodOx
06-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Steve, how many years ago was that last picture taken?

He went from 214 (approx) down to 200 - would you say after 6 for him that is a trend, and he will continue to decline in antler size?

What elevation does alpine start at? 2000m?

dana
06-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Aguacher,
I guess it all depends on how you look at things. He went from a 215+ nontypical to a Booner Typical. He cleaned right up. Just a couple small cheaters is all. He lost trash but gained an amazing frame and 'mass from hell.' :) When you watch deer from one year to the next, sometimes they drop extras, sometimes they gain them. They don't ever stay exactly the same. MnT dropped 20 inches of extras in one year.

Jelvis
06-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Age, heredity and food determine antler size. With a sixteen to eighteen per cent diet of protien and adequate calcium and phosphorus, bucks will grow good antlers unless they are genetically deficient. Poor teeth and dwindling hormones causes the big old buck, who used to be the King of the hills to regress, in body strength and antler size, losing points and even becoming a two point again or may not grow antlers at all, he goes bald. Testosterone is going down hill faster then the price of goods on Boxing day and the old buck becomes docile, a recluse and lays there like a armchair quarter back watching the world go by, can't even get up to get the remote, sorry hunters I got carried away. When ya get my age gettin lucky, is finding my car in the parking lot. Good luck Jel

boxhitch
06-23-2007, 06:58 AM
In the old days of Czars and their game farms in Europe, it was discovered that the sterilization of big stags was the key to having the most bone. Once they were out of the breeding frenzy, all the nutrients had one place to go.
Often wonder how often that plays out in nature and deer/elk/sheep/etc ??

GoatGuy
06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
In the old days of Czars and their game farms in Europe, it was discovered that the sterilization of big stags was the key to having the most bone. Once they were out of the breeding frenzy, all the nutrients had one place to go.
Often wonder how often that plays out in nature and deer/elk/sheep/etc ??

Population dynamics also play a big role in the speed and size of which sheep grow their horns (haven't read that about mulies - but I'd guess so).

bruin
06-23-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF0706.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4306&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=3044)
THis is my early season nemisis from last year. I tried to tag him with my bow and was able to find him on Sept 1 but like big bucks do, he vanished. He hung out with 3 smaller bucks. Their routine was to feed until the sun peaked over the hill in the mornings, then they would bed on an open hillside and soak up the first few rays of before it got hot and then they headed for the timber in the bottom of the canyon.
I am hoping he will be back this year, I doubt I will get to hunt him but i would like to see him.
Another thing I had success with last year was getting really high over a creek bottom so I could look down through the trees during mid day, I guess it was the coolest place on the mountain for the bucks.
Genetics and feed, especially minerals will affect antler growth most. I don't know how testosterone levels will affect because during the time of growht they should be fairly low.

Jelvis
06-23-2007, 02:30 PM
The pituitary gland having started antler growth in the spring, stops it in the fall and causes the bone to solidify. Bucks are not capable of breeding during the spring and summer months. A hormone from the pituitary affects the testicles and, beginning in August, the testicles begin to enlarge and descend from the body. The scrotum now becomes visible. As the testicles enlarge, the male hormone testosterone is produced and this puts an end to antler growth. Increased calcim goes into the connective tissue of the antlers and the burr grows outward. This diminishes the flow of blood and then shuts it off. The velvet dries and the antlers harden. The longitudinal grooves at the base of the antlers were made by the blood vessels that nourished them. That was a good point you made, Bruin about testosterone. Nice pic too. Info Deer of N.A

Brambles
06-23-2007, 04:12 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF0706.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4306&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=3044)
THis is my early season nemisis from last year. I tried to tag him with my bow and was able to find him on Sept 1 but like big bucks do, he vanished. He hung out with 3 smaller bucks. Their routine was to feed until the sun peaked over the hill in the mornings, then they would bed on an open hillside and soak up the first few rays of before it got hot and then they headed for the timber in the bottom of the canyon.
I am hoping he will be back this year, I doubt I will get to hunt him but i would like to see him.
Another thing I had success with last year was getting really high over a creek bottom so I could look down through the trees during mid day, I guess it was the coolest place on the mountain for the bucks.
Genetics and feed, especially minerals will affect antler growth most. I don't know how testosterone levels will affect because during the time of growht they should be fairly low.

Bruin

That looks like a heck of a buck, love the huge cheater on his left side. have you thought about leaving him in peace until Sept 10 and taking him with your rifle?

WoodOx
06-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey guys

As I was training for this season, I was thinking, although mulies are traditionally no where as patternable as whitetails - do you guys ever find they use similar bedding areas?

for example, they may not follow the same path to the exact same bed, day in day out, but have you seen them use similar areas (same shale slide for instance) every day or two?

Jelvis
06-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Training agaucher, that sounds interesting, I'm training too, so I can enjoy the mountains. Thats a good thought about mulies using the same beds or area for bedding. I don't know about summer habits on high mountain mulies but I know fall bedding habits, Steve will know he's been there, he's probably out on a week end camping in the bush. I hope your training goes well.

dana
06-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Aguacher,
Patterning is possible if you are lucky enough to catch a buck in the summer and sit on him until opening day. The problem with the highcountry is there can be a ton of factors that will be pattern breakers. In the Monashees, frost is the biggest pattern breaker. Mid August the frost hits that lush alpine veg and nukes it. Most bucks then drop a tad in elevation into the treeline, where the lush veg has been saved from the frost.
Long term patterning is much easier. A buck will typically live in the same highcountry basin year after year and will use the same beds year after year. Every year I filmed Widebugger he was within 200 metres of where I saw him the first year. The last year I filmed him, he was in the exact same bed as I had jumped him out of the year before. I had been cutting across a big boulder slide and jumped him up with another funky NT. The next year, I was really careful coming across that slide and was able to sneak up on him at 40 yards sleeping. I took over 25 mins of video and then crawled back out of there. He never even knew I was there.
Bucks will typically go back to the same areas they learned from the Master in their bachelor group when they were young. They bed in generational beds. You get to know a piece of ground, year in and year out, you will know exactly where to glass, cause you'll see bucks in the same places time and time again.

WoodOx
06-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks, helpful and interesting with wide bugger.

Do you have any side shots of his sheds?

dana
06-24-2007, 06:31 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Mar25011a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/MatchedSet002a.jpg

WoodOx
06-24-2007, 06:36 PM
mmhmm what a pig.

Did you ever get that giant bear you were going to backpack in somewhere for?

Jelvis
06-24-2007, 06:47 PM
It's all about his antlers the new growth forming on a deers head, he has to be where he won't touch them on trees so he goes up above the tree line. They become recluses where there not bothered and do not have to move about much. Four months till the burr, starts to form. The antlers can grow one half inch a day. Some bioligists believe it takes as much out of a bucks body to produce a large set of antlers as for a doe to produce a set of twins. Calcium salts coming from the bucks skeleton, (yes skeleton) and from the nutrients from food to produce massive antlers. Are you with me so far hunters? Even tho non-typical antlers are so interesting most hunters want typical antlers, which are wide, high, long forks, thick and symetrical. Symetrical being the key word here, BELIEVE IT OR NOT?

dana
06-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Aguacher,
I never bothered to do that backpack trip in for that boar. Was too busy hunting with my son. He killed a 6'4" brown for his first bear and then we focused on trying to get him a bigger one. Came pretty close to sealin' the deal on a 7 foot monster but he scented us a couple seconds too early. Oh well, still have the fall to go. Might hold on to my tag for that backpack boar. He was in belly deep snow last Nov. Would be fun to take him in those kind of conditions this year.

Jelly Roll,
It is my observations that those velvet racks ain't overly tender like many believe. I have seen them pound through the thick crap without a worry in the world. There is many a mossyhorn that never sees the alpine. They find a niche in their world and they stick with it. They don't get big by being stupid. The only thing predictable is that they are extremely unpredictable. Randomness is the key to their survival. I have found some years they all will stay low, other years, some are high and some are low, and then other years where they all are high. The alpine just gives you a good idea of what is in the area. With all the pattern busters, there are no guarentees. Just because you don't see a big buck, don't mean he ain't there. ;)

bruin
06-25-2007, 08:49 PM
I couldn't stand it anymore and I just got back from a scouting trip to find the buck i posted earlier. I found him one canyon over from last year. Last season I saw him three times within 300 yards of the original spot each time, the same hillside, the same canyon. I think he would stay there until someone or something spooked him out.
He gained 3-4 inches of width and lost an inch off his kicker. I am glad to see he made it through the winter.
All the bucks I saw were just past their first splits except this buck, he's out to his second split and growing 2-3 inches of tine.
Do older bucks grow antlers earier and or faster than younger?

WoodOx
06-25-2007, 08:55 PM
SO all the bucks were just splitting to start their fork towards next forks, but he already had his 4 point forks?

I would guess that those other bucks (although you probably know better than myself), are only going to be two points, or marginal fours, where as clearly yours is more mature.

All the bucks I have seen as of yet are also on their first split, but my friend has seen two mature bucks our scouting that already are well into four points, or inthe case of one whitetail already a 140 class 5x5. In those cases I would guess both the four pt mule and the 5x5 will be BC Book+ in size. Although that pic of yours in kind of far, I would guess he would go at least 175 as well.

Ever find his sheds?

dana
06-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Bruin,
Sounds like an awesome scoutin' trip. Hope everything works out for ya and we'll see the grip and grin pics come Sept.

Brambles
06-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Bruin

Good to hear you found your buck, hope everything works out for you, go nail him in Sept.

Brambles

brno375
06-25-2007, 09:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/adamtayler/Princeton%20Mulie%202006/DSC00904.jpg

What do you think?

Brambles
06-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Beautiful, whats on the other side?

Ioneth
06-25-2007, 09:55 PM
You know what I would like to do in my area is find migration trails, I mean all the way down from the hieght of the land to the Nor River just think all the way down different trails coming together and becoming one in spots over the century. That kind of thinking turns my crank, along the gorges and drainages. I guess start from the bottom and work up. Trails over the years even wearing trails into the rock and shale, I saw some already like that, I gotta do it again and connect them, I know it's not that easy because deer would be to smart to make it that easy. I'm sure you hunters could tell me about deer trails that impressed you , if you would.

In the current field/forest/wetland I'm working in right now we follow deer, beaver, and bear trails in and out of the field. its a lot easier but less fun than making our own with machetes. Archeology can be a pain :P I'm now glad its not my profession just a summer job digging wholes. We find lots that go in different directions some that split into two and along these trails we find a lot of bear toys the last one was a jerry can all chewed up. also lots of downed trees. stumps can be fun if you are not watching where you are going.

brno375
06-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Beautiful, whats on the other side?

I do not know yet. Kechika and I stumbled across it last year on a weekend trip.

Kechika
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey isnt that where I saw Gatehouse in a furcoat?

brno375
06-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey isnt that where I saw Gatehouse in a furcoat?

That's the place.

bruin
06-25-2007, 10:51 PM
i was wondering what is on the other side also. Looks like it could be alpine.
Aguacher, The other bucks are out to their ears and splitting. I would agree that they are going to be marginal 3-4 points. I have never looked for his sheds, I regret to say that I am not much of a shed hunter as yet.

Brambles
06-26-2007, 12:44 AM
I regret to say that I am not much of a shed hunter as yet.

Oh that means you'll never kill a big buck so your just wasting time:wink::-D