PDA

View Full Version : Access to 7-37/7-38

CraigOC
04-30-2016, 12:37 AM
Hey all, finally getting all the boys together for a northern moose hunt this fall, went west of Wiliiams Lake last year and got skunked (locals had shot out where we were) and we were looking at 7-37/7-38 around Williston Lake or 7-29/7-30 closer to Mackenzie, was curious if anyone had been around that area and had any info on camping there or what access was like, seems like lots of peaks around Williston. We're still in the early planning stages so I'll take any advice I can gather, Google has not been my friend with this one so if you guys know anything I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Edit - going for Moose, Mulies etc.

bang flop
04-30-2016, 07:21 PM
I looked at the same area's... bring lots and lotza fuel. The drive can be hard on trucks/trailers.

takla1
04-30-2016, 09:30 PM
ill add a couple spares as well for the truck and trailers as well.If it rains the roads grease up fast and thiers always tons of potholes unless their gradeing for the logging trucks..oh ya..lights on for the logging trucks and prepare for a new windshield after the hunt!

takla

CraigOC
05-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys. Make look at slightly closer to McKenzie if the roads and conditions are real bad.

Salix
05-01-2016, 08:41 PM
With the logging slowing down in the PG area because they have basically logged it all now, most of the PG mills are now in the 7-38, 7-29 and 7-30 areas fairly hard now. Lots of logging activity around Williston on both sides of the lake. Plan to be dodging logging trucks.

44magman
05-02-2016, 12:43 AM
I live in Mackenzie. PM me and I would be happy to help you out as best as I can. Good moose hunting in the area and decent for elk in spots but there aren't many deer around. The majority of deer in the area live in city limits...

okas
05-02-2016, 10:53 AM
years ago i used to go up Clearwater Creek Rd. yamaha 4 wheeler 2 wheel drive in the jet boat across Peace Reach to Nabesche River
i am thinking about going in there next year .

spaghetti
06-10-2016, 12:16 PM
I live in Williams Lake and thinking of heading up that way this Fall. Any tips would be appreciated.

swampthing
06-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Big country with lots of area. Lots of log trucks in areas but the roads are highway size, or bigger. Cant really single out any areas but lots of real estate to chose from. Access mainly from McKenzie junction or Ft St James.

Vader
06-11-2016, 03:53 AM
I would suggest vhf radio is a must.. Make sure to call your position regular on the main and active areas. I haven't been there since 2006 but we had to hunt hard to get tags filled.
Lots of wolves in the area.. Used to be lots of black bears til they moved in.
Fuel tires and tools are a must.
Early years we saw lots of moose.. After wolves moved in not so many.. Shot what we saw.
You are 178 kMS off the highway so be prepared.. And that's only the start of 7-38..
Good luck.

moosinaround
06-11-2016, 09:41 AM
I would suggest vhf radio is a must.. Make sure to call your position regular on the main and active areas. I haven't been there since 2006 but we had to hunt hard to get tags filled.
Lots of wolves in the area.. Used to be lots of black bears til they moved in.
Fuel tires and tools are a must.
Early years we saw lots of moose.. After wolves moved in not so many.. Shot what we saw.
You are 178 kMS off the highway so be prepared.. And that's only the start of 7-38..
Good luck.
Good advice Vader, was up that way last fall! Come home with the boat axle on trailer ratchet strapped on the frame, blew Trailer tire, and lost 2 centre caps off my truck rims! Logging trucks on osalinka, hauling to Omineca log dump, and trucks hauling from Manson into Mackenzie. Light mine traffic on the tennakie!

junkyard_g
06-22-2016, 09:24 PM
Entire Osilinka FSR will be very busy through to November. Some light hauling traffic on the tenekihi south of the mesilinka, and some light hauling traffic north of 173km. My buddy works up there and gave me update.

mpotzold
06-22-2016, 11:11 PM
I would suggest vhf radio is a must..(VADER)

Agree!
About 15 years ago was forced off a road & into a ditch by a large truck around a sharp curve north of Uslika Lake. Luckily there were no damages. Decided to buy some VHF Radios before the next trip.
Also have a satellite phone.

Been hunting 7-38 for almost 50 years & we have been fairly successful hunting moose.

Best hunting(no LEH) was before they introduced that dreaded Omineca Model. The manager responsible should be tarred & feathered! :wink:

Seemed like every swamp had 1 or more moose feeding/drinking.

There are still moose in the area but you have to do some serious footwork unless you're lucky.

A MUST-Bring the best tires you can get & carry 2 spares. (unless you have Toyo M55's)

Productive areas were around Germansen Lake(watch out for the grizz) & Omineca River swamps just West of Germansen Landing. Great area for the road hunter- The road parallels the river for many miles - watch for the moose crossing early in the morning or late in the evening.

Then there is the Uslika Lake area & north.

Immature moose is open & I think moose calf.

There are deer in the area. I've got a video somewhere that shows a black bear chasing a deer in the clearcut. He had no chance! Lover 308 also witnessed it.
Good luck.

Try phoning the Germansen Landing store for more info!

Corb89
06-23-2016, 05:59 AM
I was up there with a grizz draw, 3 years ago, we camped at Uslika lake rec site, we intended to go right to Johansen lake, but there was a fire in the area and they had a big camp set up just north of us at a big intersection.there was just too much country to see in the 5 days i was up there, spent most of my time up HaHa creek off the Oslinka river, i would definetly like to be up there with a moose tag in my pocket.

mpotzold
06-23-2016, 04:39 PM
West of Uslika Lake. Lover 308 & I scouting for moose .
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN1495.jpg%7Eoriginal

mpotzold
06-23-2016, 04:50 PM
Same place facing north. There are caribou in those mountains. On the way up saw fresh grizz tracks & plenty of wolf tracks including a wolf den. We call the road PEPSI ROAD. (Some hunter left an upright sugarless pepsi in the middle of the road)
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo52/cariboo_2008/DSCN1494.jpg%7Eoriginal

Vader
06-23-2016, 06:06 PM
I hunted primarily the mesilinka river. Both sides. Ventured into the raspberry and up lake some. Also hunted the Wasi lake area.
Camped at 4 km and at the messilinka bridge. Enjoyed every trip. Always an adventure for sure.
For some reason I took a dremel and some bits and disks.. Used it to rebuild the back brakes on hunting partners truck. Made a spring keeper out of a nail and tempered it in the fire.. Still in the truck today.