PDA

View Full Version : 7-28 Moose

Rhyno
04-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Hey

I have been planning a northern moose hunt since the end of last season and have it narrowed down to two mu's...one in region 6 that I am familiar with and 7-28 accessed from Mackenzie.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to provide any basic intel such as moose numbers over the last few years, trouble with blockades, etc.

Any info posted on this thread or pm is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Ryan

todbartell
04-28-2016, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't expect issues with natives up there. I hunted bear in May, in 7-28 a few years back and seen some moose. Fairly remote country, you won't run into any day trippers from Vanderhoof/Ft St James/PG

Rhyno
04-28-2016, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't expect issues with natives up there. I hunted bear in May, in 7-28 a few years back and seen some moose. Fairly remote country, you won't run into any day trippers from Vanderhoof/Ft St James/PG

Thanks Mark!

Foxtail
04-28-2016, 05:34 PM
Nation river? Taken a few moose out of there quite a few years ago. You got a jet boat?

Rhyno
04-28-2016, 05:46 PM
Nation river? Taken a few moose out of there quite a few years ago. You got a jet boat?

Unfortunately no, will likely bring a canoe though.

takla1
04-28-2016, 05:49 PM
I generally hunt 7-27 but travel thru 7-28 into our area,and have shot numerous moose/bears in both MU's.To be honest theres both in there everywhere in 27/28 ,we would usually take a couple the first few days of moose hunting,bone them out ,pack away then get serious on moose. for moose your gonna need a draw.A little tip ,if you come across a good bear feeding on the road in front of you DONT slow down,peddle to the metal till your past him around a corner then walk back and youll usually get your shot away.There used to logging trucks all day flying past them so they may turn into the bush briefly but once the truck is past usually come back out to roadside to resume munching grass,with moose rut hunting look for fresh track{bull alone or with cow} and be in there early and last light,cow call from good vantage points and they like south faceing cut blocks
hope that helps

takla

44magman
05-02-2016, 12:50 AM
There is good moose hunting in 7-28 if you get a bull draw. Roads are all good. No issues with blockades, ect. Lots of recent logging activity so lots of new cut blocks and roads. I live in Mackenzie. Feel free to PM me with any questions and I will do my best to help out.

Frango
05-02-2016, 08:22 AM
We hunted it for 3 years running perhaps 6 or 7 years ago. We got a moose every time. Mostly around Skunk lake. You can also get in via Fort St James. There are some big G bear in there.

okas
05-02-2016, 10:40 AM
HEY slow down here or it will be a CRAZY there with hunters .

takla1
05-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Not to worry,all the hyped up hunters will have to work for their game in these M-U's and hit the rut perfect,cause as you know game likes to hide in them bush's!
You may get the odd road side gimme but if your in too early or too late{rut}its easy to get depressed with the lack of siteings and opportunities for a shot.
Its a long way in as well with not much in the way of outfitter stores for gas/supplys/water ect

takla

okas
05-02-2016, 05:24 PM
in the window out the window and go have fun hunting deer :wink: big deer

Rhyno
05-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Great, thanks for the information.

44magman, if I get the draw I will sent you a PM with some questions!

cheers, Ryan

tyyota
05-02-2016, 10:42 PM
We hunted 7-28 last year late October. Apparently we were there late but we got one the first day, then didn't see another bull for the rest of the week. We were on the west side of the mu. You need a draw as spikes are hard to come by. The only hunting parties in camp that got skunked were those without LEH draws.
Good luck.
Ty

spaghetti
06-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Is the peak rut up near Mackenzie about first week of October? We went last week of September last year south of Tumbler ridge. Quiet as a mouse--mind you it was warm. When I lived in Kelowna, we used to hunt by Merritt from Sep. 28th to Oct 4 and the moose were crazy at that time. I wonder since they are Shiras moose down there they rut earlier? You thoughts

barry1974w
06-14-2016, 09:27 AM
Is the peak rut up near Mackenzie about first week of October? We went last week of September last year south of Tumbler ridge. Quiet as a mouse--mind you it was warm. When I lived in Kelowna, we used to hunt by Merritt from Sep. 28th to Oct 4 and the moose were crazy at that time. I wonder since they are Shiras moose down there they rut earlier? You thoughts

You should have been pretty close. Sometimes the critters just don't cooperate.....

44magman
06-17-2016, 07:38 AM
The rut is usually the last bit of Sept and first bit of Oct around Mackenzie area.

elknut
06-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Myself I used to hunt the rut....then a friend told me about the pre rut...Started going up north around the middle of Sept and tried calling ..Around the 16th-18th they would answer and come running in ..We generally got our moose 1st or 2nd day every year..Seems the adage is:....The boys are ready to party and are looking for love ...Later when they have found love they are not going to leave it..Easier calling before the rut ..Worked for me and some of my friends ....maybe will work for you...

Rhyno
06-18-2016, 07:31 AM
Once again thanks for all the info in this thread and PM's, much appreciated!

Rhyno
06-18-2016, 07:33 AM
Myself I used to hunt the rut....then a friend told me about the pre rut...Started going up north around the middle of Sept and tried calling ..Around the 16th-18th they would answer and come running in ..We generally got our moose 1st or 2nd day every year..Seems the adage is:....The boys are ready to party and are looking for love ...Later when they have found love they are not going to leave it..Easier calling before the rut ..Worked for me and some of my friends ....maybe will work for you...

This is has been my experience as well in the Peace. I had one love sick moose stalk me back to my truck, refused to give up that I was a cow! Haha

Stresd
06-18-2016, 01:57 PM
I had one love sick moose stalk me back to my truck, refused to give up that I was a cow! Haha

How often does ya Showers. .:p;)