PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!!! Security Issues with new BC Hunting Online site!!!

russm86
04-25-2016, 07:33 PM
I helped sign my mom up on BCeID and for her new FWID today (she is technologically challenged) and just wanted to warn everyone that there are already security issues!!! When I printed my moms new FWID for her it actually printed someone else's FWID, I double checked the info displayed in the profile and everything was correct and when I clicked her FWID again it worked and printed the right one but I had already gotten a printed out FWID of some guy I don't know with their FWID and BC hunter # and full name so theoretically I could now go down to Canadian tire and get a second hunting license and tags under his name... His name and hunter # aren't even close to my moms and as I said everything in her profile was correct, not impressed. FYI, I have already shredded his info and tried to contact front counter BC but they were closed. If you print a copy of the FWID make sure it is yours before you try to get a license or anything.

HarryToolips
04-25-2016, 09:13 PM
^^^wow crazy, I did mine today with no probs, but that's definitely concerning...weird that it won't let me apply for LEH yet though..

Ohwildwon
04-25-2016, 09:20 PM
I helped sign my mom up on BCeID and for her new FWID today (she is technologically challenged) and just wanted to warn everyone that there are already security issues!!! When I printed my moms new FWID for her it actually printed someone else's FWID, I double checked the info displayed in the profile and everything was correct and when I clicked her FWID again it worked and printed the right one but I had already gotten a printed out FWID of some guy I don't know with their FWID and BC hunter # and full name so theoretically I could now go down to Canadian tire and get a second hunting license and tags under his name... His name and hunter # aren't even close to my moms and as I said everything in her profile was correct, not impressed. FYI, I have already shredded his info and tried to contact front counter BC but they were closed. If you print a copy of the FWID make sure it is yours before you try to get a license or anything.

I hope you have attempted to let them know....

Glenny
04-25-2016, 09:42 PM
Strange. I got mine too this morning (4/25) and saved to PDF and noticed the issue date as April-17th. A small discrepancy but....

high and to the right
04-25-2016, 09:47 PM
Strange. I got mine too this morning (4/25) and saved to PDF and noticed the issue date as April-17th. A small discrepancy but....
Mine also says that it was issued to me on April 17, 2016
I guess we are just a couple of hunters ahead of our times. lol

Dash
04-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Well that's definitely concerning...

ajeatoo
04-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Ugh I've had nothing but troubles with their site tonight!!! Registered for my BCeID with having to re-start suddenly when I hit next. Managed to get mine done though I have to go to a service center to verify my identity.
Then we did my husbands... Three tries later after their server crashing 5 times (page not available) finally getting though to security questions, hit next and I'm back to square one. Start all over yet again and manage to get all the way through. Printed the confirmation page, went to have it emailed as well... Back to square one again. Try logging in and surprise! Server is down again.

Ridiculous.

keoke
04-26-2016, 05:45 AM
Called it, the problem you are all having is that you are not using ms dos like the government does.

XPEIer
04-26-2016, 06:15 AM
So I got my new numbers, I did not print them off as I saved them to my computer to print later. So I went to check to ensure they were all correct today but the format they saved is something I have never heard of before and I have no idea how to open them. I tried to open them and then save as a pdf, but it saves as a text document.

Anyone have this issue

XPEIER

Knute
04-26-2016, 06:24 AM
I just saved mine in PDF as that was the file type sent to me.

XPEIer
04-26-2016, 06:51 AM
That was what I was expecting, but they save as an ASHX file format. I went back into the website, opened it again, tried to save it again, but it only saves as that format. I will just print them off of the website, but I like to keep a digital version close so I dont have to access the system 3 times for me, my wife and daughter.

2chodi
04-26-2016, 07:12 AM
so theoretically I could now go down to Canadian tire and get a second hunting license and tags under his name...

I am not trying to discount the issue, but you won't be able to do this - you now have to present valid government photo ID to buy a license. There have already been a couple of Albertans with an old BC hunter number turned away.

eric
04-26-2016, 07:31 AM
It's the Gubberment, what did you all expect.....

russm86
04-26-2016, 07:37 AM
I am not trying to discount the issue, but you won't be able to do this - you now have to present valid government photo ID to buy a license. There have already been a couple of Albertans with an old BC hunter number turned away.

Well it's good to hear some are checking but I've still never been ID'd for hunting license or tags, got my new ones for this year on April 1st and was never asked for ID. My gf got hers a couple weeks ago and was not asked for ID either, I was with her when she got it.

2chodi
04-26-2016, 07:40 AM
Well it's good to hear some are checking but I've still never been ID'd for hunting license or tags, got my new ones for this year on April 1st and was never asked for ID. My gf got hers a couple weeks ago and was not asked for ID either, I was with her when she got it.

I don't doubt it, but that is against the new rules.

Grizzlydick
04-26-2016, 08:35 AM
think i am going to wait till the dust settles. gonna be more problems arising im sure.

SuperYeti
04-26-2016, 08:51 AM
That was what I was expecting, but they save as an ASHX file format. I went back into the website, opened it again, tried to save it again, but it only saves as that format. I will just print them off of the website, but I like to keep a digital version close so I dont have to access the system 3 times for me, my wife and daughter.

an ASHX file, is an extension used for Microsoft.net Web services. Depending on your browser, it may not be correctly picking up the file name and extension that is being returned from the site. Rename the file to .pdf and you should be able to open it fine. If you're running Windows, you may need to turn on file extension displays, in Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->View->Show known file extensions.

Warren

russm86
04-26-2016, 12:42 PM
So I was able to get in contact (thanks to another member here) with the lady who is the lead on the BC Hunting Online project and she and her team were able to determine the issue and resolve it. They were very quick and thorough and pleasant to deal with which was a great relief compared to most things government. Apparently the issue was a minor glitch where if 2 people were to click on the display/print FWID certificate at the exact same time, we are talking down to like the milli or nano second here whatever computers use for logging data, then it could transpose links so they point to/request the wrong "object". I don't know all the exact technical references/jargon but it sounds like a 1 in a million chance and they suggested I buy a lottery ticket. After finding the exact cause they were able to search all the logs to see if it happened to anyone else and this appears to be the one and only instance and since they have fixed it should not happen again.

The only other technical difficulties they are aware of are the site crashes however she said this was all related to the BCeID server and nothing to do with the new BC Hunting Online server so there wasn't much they could do as it wasn't the same ministries equipment etc. Anyways, she gladly offered her assistance to anyone else experiencing technical difficulties (other than related to the BCeID server crashes) so if anyone here needs anything, PM me and I can give you her contact info.

MichelD
04-26-2016, 01:12 PM
I filled out the BCeID application, clicked on it and it deleted my application and put up the blank page again.

I'll try next week.

Grizzlydick
04-26-2016, 01:27 PM
i just couldn't let it go so tried again and bingo all done.

"that was easy" not................................

LupieHunter
04-26-2016, 01:48 PM
If you applied for a BCEID and it crashed during registration, see if you can log in with that ID. I had it happen numerous times and after creating a new one without it crashing, I tried my original ID that I tried to create when it crashed and it worked so I ended up having 2 BCEID accounts ( one of which I've since deleted).

chris
04-27-2016, 05:23 AM
Both my wife and I had the system error screen after we registered for the BC EID. Both of us tried to log in with it anyway and it worked. All in all it is a cumbersome system but I do like how easy applying for leh is was after the registration part.

squamishhunter
04-27-2016, 06:21 AM
Can we still buy paper licenses at stores?

SR80
04-27-2016, 06:30 AM
this is all so painful to read. :smile:

Island Idiots
04-27-2016, 06:56 AM
Tried at 6:30 this morning and got all through it, hit next, and waited. Ended back at square one. No luck for me.

Ferenc
04-27-2016, 07:33 AM
Tried at 6:30 this morning and got all through it, hit next, and waited. Ended back at square one. No luck for me.
I went down to Front Counter last week Thursday...no issues.. No line up either. : )

huckleberry
04-27-2016, 08:38 AM
Did mine yesterday, no glitches. Did the leh also without a problem.

Now they just need to allow us to print a card rather than have an 8 x 10 sheet to id us when getting a license.

elkhunter1
04-27-2016, 08:39 AM
x3 mine also 17 th APRIL.

elkhunter1
04-27-2016, 08:41 AM
You can Minimise it and print Card Size.

honeyman76
04-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Did my LEH without issue. I tried using my BCID from the Mineeral Titles Online and had to create a new one. Its not the same across the board apparently

jconn
04-27-2016, 09:22 AM
x3 mine also 17 th APRIL.

It says on the site that the numbers have already been issued and we're just logging on in order to access the numbers, so makes sense that the issued date would be an earlier date.

J_T
04-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Did my LEH without issue. I tried using my BCID from the Mineeral Titles Online and had to create a new one. Its not the same across the board apparently Now that is nuts. MTO uses a business ID, perhaps the FWID requires only a personal ID. An error in the design. No question the BCeID should work across the business sector of BC Government. A guy only wants 1 ID with Government. Just like you only have 1 name.

MOL
04-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Hey guys just completed mine. I am pretty sure you have to physically click to open and "read " the terms and conditions, then hit next. Let me know if this works or am I just blowing smoke!!!

russm86
04-27-2016, 09:51 AM
Hey guys just completed mine. I am pretty sure you have to physically click to open and "read " the terms and conditions, then hit next. Let me know if this works or am I just blowing smoke!!!

I did my own and both my parents and never had to open and read anything. My mom got kicked back to the beginning once when she clicked next but other than that no issues for my dad or myself. The BCeID is a separate entity from the hunting online site so they can't do much there unfortunately.

Philcott
04-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Did mine yesterday, no glitches. Did the leh also without a problem.

Now they just need to allow us to print a card rather than have an 8 x 10 sheet to id us when getting a license.

Just so everyone knows. You will not need a card to get your licence and tags next year. All you will need it your number (write it on something in your wallet) and your BC drivers licence. You will not have to show any official piece of paper just have your number. Make something yourself with the number on it and laminate it to carry with you if you wish.

russm86
04-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Just so everyone knows. You will not need a card to get your licence and tags next year. All you will need it your number (write it on something in your wallet) and your BC drivers licence. You will not have to show any official piece of paper just have your number. Make something yourself with the number on it and laminate it to carry with you if you wish.

Or just add the 3 extra numbers to your current hunter card...

Philcott
04-27-2016, 01:03 PM
That works.....

Ferenc
04-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Sh!t it's only 9 numbers to remember... But then again I sometimes look at the old lady... And I just seem to not remember her name either at times.. Lol

Island Idiots
04-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I went down to Front Counter last week Thursday...no issues.. No line up either. : )

Thanks, I'll do that! Cheers.

b.c hunter 88
04-28-2016, 09:53 PM
Had problems already trying to get my FWID made my account and under B.C resident said expired still waiting to see what happens been bear hunting tho.