PDA

View Full Version : Gaia Maps to download?

AgSilver
04-24-2016, 05:00 PM
I've got a large capacity phone and want to cache as much as makes sense in any area of the province I'm likely to find myself and am trying to figure out which are the best Gaia maps to do that.

The default free maps are pretty useless from a hunting perspective, I feel.

I want a really good imagery map that can zoom in nicely to look at aerial views (the "World Imagery" that comes with it is garbage...such high altitude...unless I'm doing something wrong) and want to overlay it with topo and/or some sort of road maps. I'd love to be able to take the BRMB maps and overlay them somehow, but I don't see that functionality coming.

I know last year when we were out, I was referencing a couple of maps, but for the life of me I can't remember which, where I'd look at one app for aerial imagery to see where cuts were, etc and use the BRMB maps to figure out which ones took us where.

The plus side of having two phones with you, I guess...

I'm just trying to find the "perfect" system, so to speak, but am still exploring the tech, so anyone with experience or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Blockcaver
04-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Imagery and Roads is the best I've used. Some of the others are interesting......shading, etc, but I only download I&R for hunting.

decker9
04-25-2016, 06:45 AM
If you upgrade to the pro version, it opens up more options, mapbox arial layer, you can zoom in closer (same as world imagery). They have a free trial you can download for a month, Worth checking out. I pair it with Canadian topo west and it seems pretty good. Although, I am still learning it also.

AgSilver
04-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Thanks gents. I was hoping to avoid upgrading. I've got high level maps from other cheap/free apps and going to a paid service that, overall, doesn't offer as good a quality without having to pay a ton is frustrating.

Gonna get this figured out...

Busterpayton54
04-29-2016, 11:11 PM
You can download other map sources that are not in the default overlay/sources menu. Click your overlay/sources menu tab on the right top, then "more layers"---> Gaia recommended---> usgs topo, and Canada topo. Then back up and go to "international"---->Canada topo west.

BC Cruiser
05-28-2016, 08:28 AM
More of a question. Is Gaia maps the best map app for your iPhone ? Or is it better to run say PDFs maps appt then load georeferenced maps you get a hold off? Just wondering what the best iPhone apps are for hunting.

As as I find I'm bring out my gps less these days.

BC Cruiser
05-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Also do you have to pay for each Gaia map you download?

Busterpayton54
05-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Unlimited downloads, just your data usage.

Travalanche
07-14-2016, 06:03 AM
Has anyone figured out how to import WMU's into the map layers on GAIA. I already have GAIA and love it for hiking but would like to have the WMU's and LEH zones as a layer for my map but cant figure out if/how it can be done.

boxhitch
07-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Likewise, would like to be able to load geobc.gov.bc.ca layers with boundarys for private land and imagery into BCNavigator