PDA

View Full Version : Advice sought - timing for muley hunt in 3-30

Phila
04-24-2016, 08:38 AM
Appreciate your input on this.

We are planning a muley hunt in 3-30 during the any buck season in October. We will be hunting in the 4,000 to 5,000 ft elevation range using a short wheelbase 4x4 SUV. Just back from a scouting trip and we have seen animals throughout this elevation range.

The question is probably more related to hunting pressure and probability of success. We plan on driving to spot and stalk combined with hiking into likely spots on foot. What do you consider to be the best week in October and why?

thanks for the help.

bigredchev
04-24-2016, 08:46 AM
3-30 and 3-31 get a ton of pressure from opening day til end of season. My advice is get out of the truck and away from every body, but also there is a lot of private land you must be careful about. good luck

gmachine19
04-24-2016, 08:50 AM
I've never seen a buck move there when they're suppose to move. Try hunting mid day and see you there. It's my hunting ground too ;)

Weatherby Fan
04-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Assuming your not concerned about Antler size I would be there for the 1st of October as chances are there hasn't been to much shooting going on after coming from a 4 pt only season in September, with that being said I notice that sub/region is very busy in Oct.

If you were looking for more Mature bucks I would hunt the last week of October as its closer to the rut.

ruger#1
04-24-2016, 10:31 AM
We used to hunt 3-30 the third week of October. Getting off the road is a sure thing. Hunted in that area since the 70s. One thing that always got me. The bucks would always hide their headgear behind a tree or bush. Hunt around areas where they are taking firewood. Those deer love lichen. I also rattled my first Mulley out of that area. It was fun. Lots of rabbits up higher. If moose are open. Get a tag. Odd whitetail in the area. Have fun, And show some pictures of your harvest.

Phila
04-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

BigfishCanada
04-24-2016, 02:30 PM
What you see today will not be there in October, the Mulies migrate, But early Oct has been warm the past few years, I would check the moon phases also, the nice ones tend to go nocturnal due to pressure.If you could pic any week, id do last week, Lots of dads are at home trick or treating