PDA

View Full Version : How about Skagit Valley in Hope?

Bruinhunter
06-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Anyone has been there this year for bear? I have two days off and want to try there. I was told the Silver Skagit Rd was closed to the public. :DHopefully, somebody can give me some information. Thanks!

bruin
06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I was in there at the beginning of May for bears. The roads had a bunch of slides on it but have since been cleared and is open but for God sake don't go in on a weekend, it's generally pretty crazy with dirtbikers and the like. I met a Park warden at the lake who told me I couldn't bowhunt there and instead of arguing with him I left, but you are allowed to bowhunt at the lake and if they give you any flack about how a bow is considered a firearm make sure you can produce a Hunting Regulations to prove them wrong. I don't personally like that area except for early season bears because the lake is usually the first place to green up.

SHAKER
06-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Too many people most of the year. The only time that I've had no people is cat hunt'n in the winter. If your going to make an effort to hunt bears, go the extra distance and get away from the rat race of the city people. Boston Bar, up the Coqu. or Merrit area would be a better bet. If you want to put in the effor of going that far. If not be ready for usually sub-par sized animals that are spooky (though their is exceptions).

BearSniper
06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Bruinhunter,

Skagit

Shaker is right, unless you get days off in the midweek and can go up say on a tuesday nite and camp, Akagit is crowded.:neutral:

I've heard some good reports of Bears up the upper Coldwater FSR. Go 2 km north of the tollbooth then west. You can go way in, and its wild country in there. Lots of Moose sign and Bear sign last fall.:)

Also, as mentioned, Boston Bar, as well as American Creek FSR just a tad north of Hope. Amer. crk. goes way in towards Harrison lake- good bear territory.

Best of luck

BearSniper

mr eagle
06-07-2007, 09:47 PM
There are bears in the Skagit, however most are off the beaten track and involve some hiking to reach'em.

Steeleco
06-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I know a few of my fly fishing friends see bears all the time while fishing, yet I've never seen any while hunting :roll: Ain't that the way.

CooperSscat
10-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Anybody seen/harvested game out of the Skagit Valley this fall? I may try there tomorrow(Silver Skagit Road) for deer and grouse. I'll let you know what I see.

Tron
10-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Sounds like your hunting black bear but im not sure. We have lots on V.I. Just about everywhere you go. If you want more info pm me. Took my second bear in the spring. With in 1/2hr we saw 4 bears and took 2 of them.

smokey
10-19-2007, 09:10 PM
hey CooperSscat i may see you tomorrow my buddy and i are going to a honey hole i know about on harrison east and then hitting the hope/silver in the afternoon,if you see a jack up samerai with a huge warn winch on the front give us a wave "happy hunting"

gearjunkierob
10-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Anyone has been there this year for bear? I have two days off and want to try there. I was told the Silver Skagit Rd was closed to the public. :DHopefully, somebody can give me some information. Thanks!

The Silver/Skagit road is open to the public and has been for some time. I saw a few bears in there this past spring, and have been in the Skagit hunting deer a few times this fall to no avail. I have only seen one bear in there so far this fall, and it was a small one at that. So far it hasn't been TOO crazy on the roads this fall, but it isn't November yet! I'm honestly not sure it's worth your time to hunt the Skagit right now.....but to each their own. At least it's close to the Lower Mainland!

gearjunkierob
10-19-2007, 09:41 PM
I was in there at the beginning of May for bears. I met a Park warden at the lake who told me I couldn't bowhunt there and instead of arguing with him I left, but you are allowed to bowhunt at the lake and if they give you any flack about how a bow is considered a firearm make sure you can produce a Hunting Regulations to prove them wrong. I don't personally like that area except for early season bears because the lake is usually the first place to green up.

Hmmm....I think you are incorrect. Let me show you:

Hunting Regs Page 35:

PROVINCIAL PARKS,
RECREATION AREAS AND
PROTECTED AREAS

Please refer to Site and Access

Restrictions section for more information.

In keeping with Section 29 of the Park,

Conservancy and Recreation Area Regulation,
the following are only open to the discharge
of firearms, bows and crossbows from
Sept. 10 to June 15 during a lawful game
hunting season:

Skagit Valley Park

. . . . . . . . . .(MU 2-2)

is open to the discharge of firearms from
Sept 10 to Mar 31only during a lawful
game hunting season.

Parks, Protected Areas and Recreation
Areas not listed in this section are closed
to hunting and closed to the discharge of
firearms, bows and crossbows.

Now if you look at the Park and Recreation Area Regulations in Division 5:

Division 5 — Firearms, Hunting and Fishing
Possession of firearms, bows and crossbows

28 No person shall possess a firearm, bow or crossbow in a park or recreation area except
(a) a firearm, bow or crossbow that is carried in a vehicle,
(b) during an open season specified under the Wildlife Act in those parks and recreation areas listed in Schedule B,
(c) in Columbia Lake Park between September 10 and June 15 of the following year, or
(d) as authorized by a park officer.
Discharge of firearms, bows and crossbows prohibited

29 (1) No person shall discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow in a park or recreation area except
(a) during an open season specified under the Wildlife Act in those parks and recreation areas listed in Schedule B and only for the purposes of hunting, or
(b) as authorized by a park officer.
(2) Except as authorized by a park officer, no person shall hunt or discharge a firearm, bow or crossbow in a park or recreation area within 400 metres of either side of the centreline of a park road or highway.

If I recollect correctly there is also a large yellow sign at the entrance to the park that refers to the above restrictions. The Park and Recreation Area Regs also state:

Signs
10 (1) A park officer may erect a sign or other device specifying an area in which specific activities are permitted, prohibited or restricted in a park or recreation area.
(2) Every person shall observe and obey every prohibition and restriction announced by the sign or other device erected under subsection (1).

The way I look at it you were wrong three times over. Sounds like you got a break to me. I'm sure at the very least the ranger could have charged you with illegal possesion of a bow in the park. If you had produced your hunting regs to try to prove the ranger wrong I'm sure he would have showed you the section of the regs that backed up his actions (pg. 35).

Cheers buddy,

Rob

Paulyman
10-19-2007, 10:21 PM
I have sen quite a few bears in that area over the years, in fact i saw one there about a month and a half ago,if you want info on where i have seen bears pm me

Paul

CooperSscat
10-21-2007, 04:21 PM
Well guys, my goal this year is to harvest a coastal blacktail. I made it out yesterday to the Silver Skagit Valley and then along the West side of Harrison Lake. Yesterday morning I saw only bear and coyote stool along young second growth stands. No deer sign as I could not access the spurred valleys with my borrowed Jeep. There's no evidence of recent logging along those spurs so the youngish looking second growth would be too thick to hunt. I only saw active logging low down in the valley along the main haul road.

With that I scooted across the Fraser and zipped up the West side of Harrison Lake to 13 km. I'd seen deer sign there last year but I only saw bear poop this go around. I had a nice steep hike and managed to view the lake way below me when the clouds opened up a bit.

After the hike I popped off 50 rounds of .22 and annihillated some spent plastic liquid vessels and my old clunker coffee travel mug. I felt better after that! I think I'll wait until some snow comes to aid in seeing where the game is moving here on the coast.

Jeremy

Steeleco
10-21-2007, 04:36 PM
The best place I've found for BT's is on the tops of the hills. They tend to be far bigger deer. The trouble is finding your way there. It took me a few years to get into on area I was tipped off too, within 2 seasons it was inaccessible again. Hunting BT can be frustrating and rewarding.

smokey
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
i was at my hole yesterday,seen no deer but some tracks,and 7 grouse it funny ,drive down a road for 5min turn back the same way and their on the road ,3 came home will me,wraping them in bacon and are frying right now

CooperSscat
10-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Glad you got some grouse smokey! I didn't even hear a freakin grouse yesterday. Normally I spook 1 or 2 while out walking my rifle. I was looking for your Samurai but like I said I bolted just after noon for the Harrison West. If you ever see a white Jeep Cherokee putting around that'll likely be me.

BTW the only deer I've seen in Region 2 this year have been up Big Silver Valley. I did see some unreal fresh deer pellets way high up on top along the Harrison East in some oldish 2nd growth near the edge of a replanted block(1300 plus meters) last month. Too bad there were no bucks around. Not to worry I'll stumble accross my first BT buck eventually.

Jeremy