PDA

View Full Version : Spot, In Reach, Sat Phone - what to get ??

Iron Glove
04-23-2016, 08:55 AM
Have been avoiding this for years but with advancing age and retirement allowing me unlimited free time, I figure it's time.
I like to take off alone either from our Hope house or the Tulameen "cabin" and head off into the woods. Virtually zero cell phone service where I go. Everything from cruising the FRS's in the truck or via ATV, scouting for this year's hunting season, fly fishing small mountain streams, snow shoeing, 10 k dog walks and yes, hunting. I can be a couple of km from either of the residences or 100 km away.
Have done all the above plus mountain biking and camping throughout BC for decades but generally with someone. Now I enjoy going solo but advancing age and being responsible ( comes with age :mrgreen: ) to the family, I want to be able to make contact, and be found if something happens. I'm in great physical condition ( questionable mental ) but the tricky back or hip could leave me in trouble. I do go out well prepared.
A Buddy that I work out and play hockey with is in the local S&R and says they all have In Reach. Any suggestions / recommendations?
Not really interested in sending emails, surfing the 'net and such, just want to notify and be located.
Both residences have WiFi if that helps in the decision making process.

RiverOtter
04-23-2016, 09:01 AM
In-Reach....

Iron Glove
04-23-2016, 09:21 AM
In-Reach....

Short and to the point. :smile:
Any particular reasons why that's the choice over the others?

Buck
04-23-2016, 09:21 AM
In Reach used all of them like this the best.

Small built in GPS, compass ,can be paired via bluetooth to an ios or android device and i have never missed a message.

It would be a bit better if you could call a number direct from the unit as it stands now you have to have contacts stored before you head out.But not a big deal with a little preplanning.

Trekker
04-23-2016, 10:00 AM
inreach. the spot only receives messages. inreach is in and out messaging as well as mapping and gps functions if you get the explorer model.

Stresd
04-23-2016, 11:51 AM
X4 Inreach SE. Have had spots and Sat phone in the past. InReach Se replaced them both

hparrott
04-23-2016, 12:15 PM
Not trying to hijack the thread but at times I have also thought I should have an in-reach. What are the quality of the in-reach maps say compared to a handheld gps unit?

Grizzlydick
04-23-2016, 12:43 PM
thinking the same lately. my 1st choice is a 406 plb. followed with a sat phone.

Trekker
04-23-2016, 02:15 PM
As of now the inreach doesn't have maps I believe, its just tracking and way points.

RiverOtter
04-23-2016, 03:04 PM
Being that Garmin scooped up Delorme, I'd expect some pretty skookum all in one units in the near future.

Reason I suggested InReach, is because they simply WORK and they're 2-way. I'm also fair certain you can add contacts on the fly, just not change your emergency contacts if you press SOS, as in the people InReach contacts for you.

Iron Glove
04-23-2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the input, guess I'd better do some research and get something before I get lost. :smile:

f350ps
04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Contact our local Spot rep Srupp and he'll set ya straight but he's outta here till till at least May with a knee replacement! K

nazarow
04-23-2016, 08:19 PM
InReach SE has been great for me. No issues with sending or receiving messages.

Poguebilt
04-23-2016, 08:38 PM
I use my inreach se to check in all the time... never leave home without it!!

digger dogger
04-23-2016, 08:54 PM
Inreach, cheap and easy!

northernbc
04-24-2016, 02:59 AM

crazybushcreature
04-24-2016, 06:45 AM
How much does it cost monthly to use one of these inreach devices?

crazybushcreature
04-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Or is it a pay per message sorts thing?

RINO
04-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Safety Plan

Discover Plan

Trailblazer Plan

Unlimited Plan

Which is for me?

Basic emergency plan

Connect with others and share your adventures

Blaze your own trail and share your journey

Unlimited usage for epic adventures

Monthly Service Fee

$17.95

$34.95

$54.95

$74.95

Text Messages Included

Unlimited

Tracking Messages Included

Unlimited

SOS Messages Included

yes

yes

yes

yes

Overage Fee Text

95¢/message

50¢/message

25¢/message

no charge/message

Overage Fee Track

25¢/track

10¢/track

10¢/track

no charge/track

Effective April 7, 2016. Prices are in Canadian dollars. Subject to change at any time.

A one-time $30 activation fee and an initial 30-day term commitment applies to all plans. Plans auto-renew month-to-month until suspended or cancelled. Plans cannot be suspended or cancelled in the first 30 days.
Switching between plans: Users can switch plans at any time. There is no administration fee to switch plans.
Suspending service seasonally: After the initial 30-day term, you can suspend your plan at any time. The monthly fee while your plan is suspended is just $4.95 and there is no fee to unsuspend your plan. While the service is suspended the inReach device cannot transmit, however users retain access to their online account and historical data in the Explore web application.
Fair use policy: You can downgrade or suspend your plan up to 12 times in a year; all subsequent downgrades or suspensions will be subject to a $10 administration fee. There is no admin fee to upgrade or unsuspend your plan.Cancelling/Deactivating service: After the initial 30-day term, you can cancel your plan at any time. There is no charge to cancel your plan however users will lose access to their online account, historical data and the Explore web application. If you later decide to reactivate your account, an activation fee is charged (consider suspending your service if you might use it again in the future).
Fees and billing cycle: Monthly service fees are billed one month in advance. Activation and administration fees are billed as they occur. Usage is billed monthly and by occurrence.
For plan changes made during a billing cycle, the monthly service charge and any text or tracking message allocations associated with the plan will be prorated. (Example: if your plan includes 100 text messages and 200 tracking messages per month, and you cancel your plan half way through the billing cycle, your monthly plan fee and allocated messages would be prorated by half.)
Usage fees apply to incoming and outgoing messages. Overage fees apply to usage that exceeds the text or tracking messages included in the user’s plan as outlined. A message is used each time a text message (email or SMS) is sent or received. Messages you send automatically include your GPS coordinates as well. A track is used each time a position report (a single track point) is transmitted. A track includes just your GPS coordinates (no text message). A track is sent on the interval you selected when you have tracking enabled (E.g. a 10 minute tracking interval would result in a position report being transmitted every 10 minutes.) All invoices are electronic.

crazybushcreature
04-24-2016, 07:38 AM
Do u have to sign a contract? Or can u pay for a couple months then cancel? Just curious if u can cancel after hunting season is over or?

primmed99
04-24-2016, 07:41 AM
iridium sat provider and buy the iridium extreme phone it has a sos button and then you don't have to rely on having your smartphone with you and its nice to be able to talk to someone rather than just text….. I bought them all last year and really tested them out which reminds me anyone looking for a global star phone or inreach se pm I have both and want to sell they are literally both like brand new

RiverOtter
04-24-2016, 08:30 AM
Do u have to sign a contract? Or can u pay for a couple months then cancel? Just curious if u can cancel after hunting season is over or?
No, there is no contract, but there is a $30 activation fee.

You can cancel after hunting season if you wish, but the following season would require another $30 activation fee. Alternatively, you can "suspend" service, pay $5/month to keep your account open, then simply upgrade when you want to start using the unit again.

And to be clear the In-Reach SE and Explore units do NOT require pairing to a phone, they are stand alone units with the OPTION to pair to a phone.

primmed99
04-24-2016, 08:41 AM
yeah true about phone pairing but texting on the unit its self isn't really fast and if you leave it on and track your route it has about a 4 day battery life if that, so for weekend trips its all right but if your really getting out there and need the battery to last that feature is useless because you'll end up turning the unit on only when you need to send messages….imho the in reach is a great economical way to stay in touch but there is a reason most the pro's carry a real sat phone…. in a real emergency its nice to be able to call local rcmp or SAR instead of texting your wife or best buddy to try and co-ordinate your rescue

No, there is no contract, but there is a $30 activation fee.

You can cancel after hunting season if you wish, but the following season would require another $30 activation fee. Alternatively, you can "suspend" service, pay $5/month to keep your account open, then simply upgrade when you want to start using the unit again.

And to be clear the In-Reach SE and Explore units do NOT require pairing to a phone, they are stand alone units with the OPTION to pair to a phone.

Trekker
04-24-2016, 08:45 AM
yeah true about phone pairing but texting on the unit its self isn't really fast and if you leave it on and track your route it has about a 4 day battery life if that, so for weekend trips its all right but if your really getting out there and need the battery to last that feature is useless because you'll end up turning the unit on only when you need to send messages….imho the in reach is a great economical way to stay in touch but there is a reason most the pro's carry a real sat phone…. in a real emergency its nice to be able to call local rcmp or SAR instead of texting your wife or best buddy to try and co-ordinate your rescue

In a real emergency you hit the SOS button on the inreach, you dont have to coordinate anything, the message is directly sent to GEOS with your exact location.

primmed99
04-24-2016, 09:14 AM
yup but I can guarantee if your in tight tree cover or down a ravine it won't get out……nice to be able to hear a voice on the other side. We test the hell out of these things and again there is a reason the pros carry a iridium phone. When you have a man down and can actually talk in real time to a dispatch to co-ordinate extraction the phone is priceless

but I agree with most on this post the inreach is best for your hobbyist and weekend warrior, it will do the job

In a real emergency you hit the SOS button on the inreach, you dont have to coordinate anything, the message is directly sent to GEOS with your exact location.

Riverratz
04-24-2016, 10:03 AM
X 2 on what primmed99 says;
If you can afford the monthly charges, get a SAT phone, nothing else compares.
There's nothing better than actually talking to another human being in real time instead of sending out text messages and left wondering if anyone received it, or if they even got it at all ???
Especially true if in an emergency situation.
We decided 8 years ago that we weren't going to cheap out on our safety and got our SAT phone, unlimited calling "in" and "out" 24/7/365 for $50/month, no additional charges.
Have used it all over western Canada and up north, in the some really remote locales, eastern Canada, southern US, and all over the Caribbean. No roaming fees, no long distance charges.
Really handy when not hunting or fishing when travelling through areas where there's no cell service.
Considering what we've got tied up in all the other gear and equipment we've got, it's an inexpensive piece of kit, well worth the piece of mind and security.

Stresd
04-24-2016, 10:09 AM
As I posted before, On my last trip went in with an iridium sat phone and inreach se. My Sat phone quit during a conversation with Janet at Alpine Aviation with regards to an early p/up time and date. Was able to continue the arrangements by text with her using my inreach SE. She also has the inreach se in all her planes now as well for the pilots use. Was also able to e-mail (using my inreach se) the airport inn in whitehorse to get our room dates changed. On long trips i pack a small 50,000 mah battery bank. All the while my family and friends who I had sent my inreach map trip page to were able to see where we were and what we were doing. So they too knew exactly what was going on. Personally I find my inreach se, is far more functional and can do so much more for me than my Sat phone every could.

Buck
04-24-2016, 11:02 AM
As I posted before, On my last trip went in with an iridium sat phone and inreach se. My Sat phone quit during a conversation with Janet at Alpine Aviation with regards to an early p/up time and date. Was able to continue the arrangements by text with her using my inreach SE. She also has the inreach se in all her planes now as well for the pilots use. Was also able to e-mail (using my inreach se) the airport inn in whitehorse to get our room dates changed. On long trips i pack a small 50,000 mah battery bank. All the while my family and friends who I had sent my inreach map trip page to were able to see where we were and what we were doing. So they too knew exactly what was going on. Personally I find my inreach se, is far more functional and can do so much more for me than my Sat phone every could.

Similar experience Iridium phone cutting out mid conversation spotty reception i was suprised as everyone said it was so much better than Globelstar..Sar will contact you by text on Delorme to ask how badly hurt the someone is so you do get to communicate with them.

Gateholio
04-24-2016, 11:23 AM
Garmin bought inreach? Hmmmmmm

primmed99
04-24-2016, 11:29 AM
yup but they use the iridium same as the phone….I talk on my iridium extreme roughly 150-200 min monthly, and sure it drops the odd call I would be a liar if I said it doesn't but never had to wait longer than 3-5 min to regain signal and make that call again….. we tried to do our work strictly with the inreach and literally everything took twice as long in most cases because a lot of older guys don't text and most people have a little notification when a text comes in instead of a phone call that rings off the hook.

To each their own I guess

RiverOtter
04-24-2016, 09:29 PM
yup but they use the iridium same as the phone….I talk on my iridium extreme roughly 150-200 min monthly, and sure it drops the odd call I would be a liar if I said it doesn't but never had to wait longer than 3-5 min to regain signal and make that call again….. we tried to do our work strictly with the inreach and literally everything took twice as long in most cases because a lot of older guys don't text and most people have a little notification when a text comes in instead of a phone call that rings off the hook.

To each their own I guess
I can savvy talking in real time, tough to top that. But that said, you mentioned in an earlier post about being in a ravine/heavy cover or some such and not being able to get out. I guarantee, if an In-Reach can't get out via text, NO WAY are you going to be making a voice call in that scenario. The phone ringing off the hook is great too, assuming someone is there to hear and pick up, if not, I'd rather a message that keeps trying to send until signal strength is high enough, and a text requires less signal strength than a voice call.

Lastly, the 4 day battery life is completely unnecessary, as "tracking" is a waste of time/battery/money, IMO, and should be turned off. 2 check ins, evening and midday is plenty of "track", especially when combined with your messages. The rest of the time the unit can be powered down, as the carrier is the one relying on it, not the people your going to be messaging or SOS'ing for help. I've reliably used the SE for 14 days and still had 40% battery remaining and that was sending/receiving a lot more than 2 texts/day.

Best of all worlds would be 2 units, but alas many guys, especially backpack hunters can't "afford" that luxury, let alone weight penalty. So we're forced to choose and base that decision on our needs.

Gateholio
04-24-2016, 11:10 PM
The inreach units can communicate with each other, correct? Be pretty handy if you decide to zig for a day while your buddy zags.

todbartell
04-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Inreach SE, love mine. Used 2x a day It will last for 3-4 weeks. And you can pair it to a smart phone for faster typing

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s640x640/sh0.08/e35/12269804_1665133613729694_422158246_n.jpg?ig_cache _key=MTEzNzI1ODE1MDE5OTM1MDk0Mg%3D%3D.2.l

RINO
04-25-2016, 05:29 AM
Now a days most of the youth don't even answer their ringing phones.... It's almost all texting...

RiverOtter
04-25-2016, 07:08 AM
The inreach units can communicate with each other, correct? Be pretty handy if you decide to zig for a day while your buddy zags.
Correct.

And since your coordinates are attached to each text, you automatically have a way point you could plug into your gps and hike right to the location of the last message you received if need be.

hntcrazy
04-25-2016, 08:06 AM
IN REACH.For sure

albravo2
04-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Another InReach vote here. Have had mine for 3 or 4 years now.

You don't think you need two way messaging until you need to ask your buddy where he left the key to the cabin. Or to tell someone following the next day that they need to bring tinfoil, or (worse) scotch.

Iron Glove
04-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice - just ordered an In Reach SE from MEC.
They were the best price to start and I had a $50 gift certificate laying around too so it's a decent deal.
If it arrives quick enough I can head out into the Tulameen back woods and see if it works next week.

RiverOtter
04-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Oh, it'll work.....just make sure you're confident in knowing how to use it, before your life depends on it.

Iron Glove
04-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Oh, it'll work.....just make sure you're confident in knowing how to use it, before your life depends on it.

That's the plan. :mrgreen:
Wife is quite pleased that I'm getting it, now she'll know right away that she might have gotten me outta her life. 8)

RiverOtter
04-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Hahaha...Ya, they're not rocket science, but everyone's capacity to adapt to electronic devices is different.

Seem to remember several several calls from my hunting partner, phone in one hand, In-Reach in the other, trying to help him figure out the "unit to unit" feature...:-D Can't remember what the issue was, but it turned out to be simple and operator induced.

Gotta admit though, the first time I was in BF Nowhere and sent/received a text from wife at home, it was a pretty cool feeling. Not that I head into the back country to text, but it is a huge psychological advantage knowing you can be connected IF you need to be. Also nice to have other options for situations where you need help, but it's not life threatening, so your buddies can come, instead of SAR....

Aaron600
12-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Does the basic(safety) plan allow you to send Pre determined txts without additional charges?

RackStar
12-10-2016, 01:32 PM
What if I do not want to send or receive msgs.
What if I just want the pre set I'm ok msg to home and the sos if I break my leg alone.
Will the spot fit my needs?

SaintSix
12-10-2016, 04:24 PM
my dad and I picked up a Inreach SE for this years hunt to a area that's fly in and no cell reception anywhere. it was great to text the pilot for a early pickup and reply about the weather. Also sent text back home to let them know we were good. Very basic needs for us and we turned most features down or off. after 2 weeks we still had over 60% battery. we chose the inreach over the spot to be able to have 2 way contact. No regrets and would buy it again. cant comment to much on quality as we have only had it since july, but issues yet.

Bear Chaser
12-10-2016, 06:04 PM
What if I do not want to send or receive msgs.
What if I just want the pre set I'm ok msg to home and the sos if I break my leg alone.
Will the spot fit my needs?

Spot will do exactly that.
If you choose you can also turn on the Track feature so whoever you choose will be able to see where you are at all times. To me it's a good option as it gives SAR a better idea of where to start looking if you miss an end of the day check in or you get hurt and aren't able to activate your Spot.

Grumpa Joe
12-10-2016, 06:19 PM
I've had a SPOT for 4 years and it seemingly worked well at first but then some check-ins either didn't show up or were delayed. I recently purchased an InReach because from the research I did the reliability were substantially better. The other appeal is the 2 way communication/texting available.

BgBlkDg
12-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all the advice - just ordered an In Reach SE from MEC.
They were the best price to start and I had a $50 gift certificate laying around too so it's a decent deal.
If it arrives quick enough I can head out into the Tulameen back woods and see if it works next week.

So, what has your experience with this unit been to date?

I have considered some of these devices for a few years, am not worried about solo treks in the most remote areas as I have the experience, training and "pro" gear to cope with fractures, hyperthermia, being "lost" (BTDT) and dangerous whatevers.

However, you and I are old pharts, myocardial incidents happen and so do strokes, so, why not be wise, not macho and go with one, eh.

decker9
12-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Unless you like to be pestered by the outside world, spot is champ. Me personally, can't stand people contacting me when I'm out of service, I'm out of service for a reason.

northernbc
12-11-2016, 01:17 AM
then do not turn it on lol .... my inreach se will work under heavy canopy and inside my camper. that amazes me

northernbc
12-11-2016, 01:22 AM
that said., I could add, hundreds of messages in all 4 seasons never ever a single issue. battery life is something I never worry about . used thru Europe and Fiji.

Timberjack
07-25-2017, 07:43 PM

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Anything new with the garmin takeover? Ideally I'd like to have a combo inreach and gps in one unit that would accept a backroad mapbook sd card... so I wouldn't have to take both up into the mountains. Anything like that come out yet?

TJ

TARCHER
07-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Spot will do exactly that.
If you choose you can also turn on the Track feature so whoever you choose will be able to see where you are at all times. To me it's a good option as it gives SAR a better idea of where to start looking if you miss an end of the day check in or you get hurt and aren't able to activate your Spot.
That said I went in reach as don't have to pat the annual fee. Pay as you need and minimal mthly fee when it's sleeping

RyoTHC
07-25-2017, 08:29 PM
Have been avoiding this for years but with advancing age and retirement allowing me unlimited free time, I figure it's time.
I like to take off alone either from our Hope house or the Tulameen "cabin" and head off into the woods. Virtually zero cell phone service where I go. Everything from cruising the FRS's in the truck or via ATV, scouting for this year's hunting season, fly fishing small mountain streams, snow shoeing, 10 k dog walks and yes, hunting. I can be a couple of km from either of the residences or 100 km away.
Have done all the above plus mountain biking and camping throughout BC for decades but generally with someone. Now I enjoy going solo but advancing age and being responsible ( comes with age :mrgreen: ) to the family, I want to be able to make contact, and be found if something happens. I'm in great physical condition ( questionable mental ) but the tricky back or hip could leave me in trouble. I do go out well prepared.
A Buddy that I work out and play hockey with is in the local S&R and says they all have In Reach. Any suggestions / recommendations?
Not really interested in sending emails, surfing the 'net and such, just want to notify and be located.
Both residences have WiFi if that helps in the decision making process.

Thank you for asking! I have been debating this like a mad man and everywhere I look there is no solid choice...

Thank you everyone for the thoughts / first hand info.

RiverOtter
08-22-2017, 06:11 AM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread. Anything new with the garmin takeover? Ideally I'd like to have a combo inreach and gps in one unit that would accept a backroad mapbook sd card... so I wouldn't have to take both up into the mountains. Anything like that come out yet?

TJ
Lasy time I was on the Inreach site, both the SE and explorer had completely redesigned models called "Plus" IIRC. Not sure what actual internal changes come in the new format, but might be worth looking into.

Me, I'm still really happy with my 4 y/o InReach SE. Just used it on another 2 week sheep hunt with no issues. The location specific weather update was actually pretty accurate as well. Used that a few times.

New Bow Hunter
08-22-2017, 06:17 AM
thinking the same lately. my 1st choice is a 406 plb. followed with a sat phone.

No fees involved, but limited to a limited satellite signal only.

Stroodle
08-22-2017, 06:25 AM
Current deal at gpscity.ca on the old Delorme inReach for $299. Old model but works the same as the new one. I'm hoping/betting that soon Garmin will combine the RINO and inReach together - mapping/gps/FRS/Sat coms all together...awesome - hoping to see this.

Blockcaver
08-22-2017, 07:23 AM
You really need your iPhone along with your InReach anyway as it allows you to text more efficiently, is your camera, alarm, and GPS. Buy the GAIA GPS app for the phone and have aerial photos and roads or whatever maps you like (Topo) to use.

I like like my InReach for two way messaging but I really like the phone as a GPS a lot better than the five Garmin GPS units that have failed on me.

Wentrot
08-25-2017, 08:13 PM
Not Trying high-jack the thread but does anyone know if The New In Reach with GPS can it be used without subscription (the GPS) or ?
What i see u subscribe and have certain number of trucks and then they charge you??? Can anyone that uses or have used clarify on it?
Thanks

Since their plans say
3495/Mo

Includes

100 Texts or Basic Forecasts
200 Tracks
SOS Messages

Additional Fees

50¢/Text or Basic Forecast
10¢/Track
$1.29/Premium Forecast
$1.99/Premium Marine Forecast

You can use it without a subscription. GPS only.

Gateholio
08-25-2017, 08:30 PM
I"m currently getting updates via Inreach from Tod bartell, who is out doing some scouting. It's pretty cool. :)

weatherbyjunkie
08-25-2017, 09:17 PM
Inreach all the way. This will be my 3rd fall with one and no complaints.

srupp
08-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Hmm SPOT has been good to us. .preselected message for early pickup by plane..check in..I'm OK..but not knowing your message got there is worrying no doubt.
Not good enough for in reach tech wise..
Last Oct had all 3..but used the sat phone for important situations..still checked in with Susan everyday..on returning home every last one arrived.with SPOT.
Agree with GATE ..see what GARMIN can do with Delorme.
Steven

okas
11-26-2017, 02:13 PM
spot as the ride out deal on the chopper:smile: and sat phone for the talking

Bear Chaser
11-26-2017, 04:55 PM
That said I went in reach as don't have to pat the annual fee. Pay as you need and minimal mthly fee when it's sleeping

Haven't been paying attention to this thread.
Funny because in 2016 I quit using my Spot and went Inreach.
It paid for itself on the first trip when one of my hunting partners broke an ankle packing my ram down the mountain.
While the two of us waited for our other partner to get down and back up to us with a horse I was busy texting back home arranging for a helicopter the next morning.
Buddy was in getting a spiral fracture taken care of within 18 hours of the break occurring at approx 8 pm halfway down a mountain 2 days ride in from the highway.
It definitely was a relief knowing there was help at the end of a text message.

LYKTOHUNT
11-27-2017, 12:24 PM
Due to the same reasons as the OP I am now thinking of getting the Inreach
Where are you guys buying these, My hope is a fairly basic model to pair with my very poor gadget proficiency but like the idea of pairing to my Iphone

Island Idiots
11-27-2017, 12:40 PM
You can buy them from Inreach or garmin now I guess. Google it. There is a sale on I think. I have the non garmin model and it works great. Paired with my IPhone, mounted on my RZR, I am good to go. Whip out my IPhone and I am in instant contact via messaging. I just wish you could send photos. Great technology. Very affordable. After hunting season I change the plan to just the monthly maintenance fee until I need to use it once again. Monthly reminders of charges on account.