PDA

View Full Version : Compass,Map course ?

Arctic Lake
04-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Do any of you fellas know who offers a map and compass use course ? Have you taken one that you can recommend ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

buckshot
04-22-2016, 05:36 PM
The Canadian army school of infantry! They even supply the outdoor gear. Sorry for being a smart ass. Couldn't help it.

ajr5406
04-22-2016, 06:03 PM
I did one a few weeks ago at MEC in North Van. It was great, and best of all - free! It was reasonably basic, but I think if you did the course and bought a decent compass, you should be good to start practicing.

lip_ripper00
04-22-2016, 11:47 PM
Walk in to the BCR armouries on Beatty St. and tell them you would like to learn orienteering..... they will even pay you to learn....

Arctic Lake
04-23-2016, 09:02 AM
I did one a few weeks ago at MEC in North Van. It was great, and best of all - free! It was reasonably basic, but I think if you did the course and bought a decent compass, you should be good to start practicing.

Thanks for the reply . I took that one as well but .......... maybe it was an off day for the instructor
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
04-23-2016, 09:09 AM
I don't think the Canadian Army is looking for my age group, LOL !
P.S. I hope not !
Arctic Lake

Jackdaw
04-23-2016, 09:41 AM
http://www.eatwild.ca/orienteering-workshop/

Took my CORE through them and couldn't be happier with the level of education I got.

Although I would agree the reserves was the best map and compass course i ever took :smile:

Langleybushcrafter
04-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Get a copy of the last BC Outdoors magazine I wrote an article in it on basic map and compass nav. You can also download the US Army field manual on land navigation it's really a great resource.

Rob
04-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Get a copy of the last BC Outdoors magazine I wrote an article in it on basic map and compass nav. You can also download the US Army field manual on land navigation it's really a great resource.

Dont have a link do ya? If not I can grab the mag if it is still on the shelf

Arctic Lake
04-23-2016, 06:59 PM

Thank you Langleybushcrafter !
Arctic Lake

Langleybushcrafter
04-23-2016, 07:46 PM
No link to the article it was in print only. It's the March/April issue and should be available till the 30th. The article is quite basic as I only had 2200 words to describe something that people have written entire books about.

I try try not to miss any opportunity to do a shameless plug of my work.

JasonH
04-23-2016, 08:37 PM
I can recommend Eatwild as well, I've done a ton of courses with them and you'll have a great time in any of the courses you take.

igojuone
04-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Been reading that article, nice job you did.

HarryToolips
04-23-2016, 09:38 PM
The Canadian army school of infantry! They even supply the outdoor gear. Sorry for being a smart ass. Couldn't help it.
Lol funny but true....OP: if ya want a few tips PM me...

Langleybushcrafter
04-24-2016, 09:28 AM

one thing the army should have taught me was how to convince the patrol commander that he's actually lost and the compass, GPS and map are not the ones who are wrong. I was on a battalion sized exercise once where one officer with a map managed to get the whole battle group to drive all over the training area without getting anywhere near the objective.

steel_ram
04-24-2016, 09:57 AM
I learnt from my outdoors class in junior high school. When in the military officers actually bummed coordinates off me during orienteering exercises. Surpising how many military guys suck at navigation when technology is taken away and it comes down to basic tools and a bit of logic.

Brno22F
04-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Surpising how many military guys suck at navigation when technology is taken away and it comes down to basic tools and a bit of logic.

This applies to a lot more people than just "Military Guys".

The OP is doing the right thing IMO. Having and knowing how to use a compass and map is something that can save your a$$. Compasses dont panic and their batteries never die.
Lots of good sources noted in other responses to this thread. Some compasses like the Silva Ranger used to have a little manual with them. Basic info but still a good intro to map and compass use.

charr
04-24-2016, 10:48 AM

Did mine with this group many years ago....

Beachcomber
04-24-2016, 10:49 AM
I was on a battalion sized exercise once where one officer with a map managed to get the whole battle group to drive all over the training area without getting anywhere near the objective.

I did an all night nav exercise while in basic training in the reserves in the UK. In groups of four we each had to take turns going from point to point around the training area. My contribution involved getting us lost and leading us through the woods to a country pub. Everyone else also sucked at it and we thrashed about in the dark until one guy confessed he had won the Duke of Edinburgh's Gold Medal for orienteering or something like that. Rather than execute him on the spot for holding out on us we made him lead the team for the rest of the exercise and we finished respectably. Surprising how poor everyone was at navigation even after training.

Arctic Lake
04-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far fellas !

Arctic Lake

wideopenthrottle
04-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Lots of fun....orienteering skills inc..lining up the mirror and the sights (just like on a rifle). ......pick targets as far away as possible and keep your eye on your target as much as safely possible...learn your pacing (your average steps per 20 m)...understand declination and how to transfer map bearing and coordinates to real landscape (Google earth makes all that way easier)...use biodegradable flag when in new areas you might not come back to usually I just break twigs frequently along the way...

Arctic Lake
04-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Thanks again !
Arctic Lake