PDA

View Full Version : Strategy for Hunter Recruitment and Retention in BC

GoatGuy
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/ds/docs/070427_HunterRecruitment-RetentionStrategy.pdf

Follow the link

Dad and son
06-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I want to commend the many contributors to this lengthy arcticle. It was very well written and researched. I agreed with everything they wrote. Some excellent ideas. I hope many of their suggestions, especially the big 6 get implemented soon.

pupper
06-06-2007, 10:43 PM
the link does not work for me:cry:

Phil
06-06-2007, 10:59 PM
A very thorough article with some good plans of action. I hope it is put to use.

Tuffcity
06-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Some really proactive, inventive thinking! I disagree with one point though, that being that CORE would likely not be allowed in schools. If the gov't of the day said "make it so" it would happen, even if it was an elective course.

RC

Mr. Dean
06-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Some really proactive, inventive thinking! I disagree with one point though, that being that CORE would likely not be allowed in schools. If the gov't of the day said "make it so" it would happen, even if it was an elective course.

RC

BLOODY RIGHT.
We are born into a culture that is supposedly has the right too choice. If something isn't offered and only hidden, where is the choice?

hunter1947
06-07-2007, 04:28 AM
What has happened in the last 20 years is that there are so many papers needed and cash ,a lot of young people don't want to spend the time and money to get into the sport. Years back you could just go get your gun and license and tags ,no questions asked.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-07-2007, 06:27 AM

RC

The CORE is still offered in some schools still today. My nephew just finished his CORE through his school in Burton(near Nakusp). Not exactly Vanc or Vict but the big cities can (hopefully) realize that these small towns are not producing cold-hearted criminals:-| that they think they should.
We teach tolerance and acceptance in our schools. Let's make sure "We" are not discriminated against like other minority groups, be it religion or race. Hunting is my Religion:)!! Accept me for what I am!:wink:

SSS

SSS

boxhitch
06-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Hunting is my Religion:smile:!!

There probably aren't many teachers that share your views. Instructors for a CORE would have to be from outside the system, I bet.

ohno
06-07-2007, 08:02 AM
I took CORE in HS back in the 80's in Quesnel. It was taught by one of the teachers. I'm assuming he was a hunter. It had 2 options...one led to the hunter # and the other was just for interest sake. I had to pay to take the test and I had to get whatever % it was to pass. There was a mix of both boys and girls in the class.

It should be an option for kids in school these days and marketed as Outdoor education.

O.

Mr. Dean
06-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I only got the 1st half read through BUT I'm liking what I'm seeing, so far.

Getting CORE recognized as outlined would be a blessing. Hopefully this isn't just a pipe-dream. It's a small step in the right direction IMO.

The Black Bear inititive also stands out but i'm not so sure how good it will fly. Enforcing the meat zone from the non-meat zones could be problematic with funding issues.

IMO hunting tags and licences are CHEAP. With that said, I have no problems with giving newbs a break when it comes time to tag up. I really like the idea of a multi-species tag/one harvest idea... But as for reducing fee's in general, I'd have to say NO.

Eliminating the redundancy of firearms training courses will/could bring savings of $$$ for the new person. I on board more so because of the way it is now, is just plain stupid. We need to have the Provincal and Federal govt people working closer together on this.

Having the long gun registry axed... Priceless!

I'll get back to my reading of the document now. Thanks again for the posting!

mapguy
06-07-2007, 08:40 AM
The cost of a gun 1000 , courses 300 , months of waiting , lic. fees , then there's fuel cost soon to be 150. a litre ,oh did i forget ferry cost 150 ,access
what access nothing but locked gates on the south island . On the mainland there's elevation and even time restriction on vehicles .And what happens if they make a mistake a fine ,loss of equipement or even worse treated like a criminal .
Now even if they get past those hurdles and decide they like hunting there's going to be the cost of a truck , camper 50,000 to 60,000 .
It's nice to see that their trying to recruit more hunters but i think it's too late .Most people just will not be able to afford it .And it's probably more stress than its worth to newcomers .

TPK
06-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Hunting does NOT have to cost a fortune. A firearm can be borrowed, the CORE course can be taken for under $100 in most areas, not everyone has to deal with a Ferry and those that do live on the Island do have places to hunt, not everything is behind a locked gate. Not everyone that hunts has a truck and camper and they do just fine. Day trips can yeild great results. It is not too late, it never is and it will cost what ever you want to spend, cheap or expensive, you decide.

You have to wait for a drivers license, for almost any license for that matter, big deal, it's called planning ahead. Elevation and time restrictions are dependant on what and where you hunt, they are not in place for everything and certainly not in place for grouse or deer which is likely what new comers will be harvesting.

CO's are not hell bent on prosecuting to the full extent of the law for every infraction. They tell us at the CORE courses we put on (invited as guest speakers) that "new comers" that have made a mistake will be given a great deal of lattitude and ONLY repeat offenders get nailed to the cross. They understand the honest mistakes that can be made and will work with the hunter to make sure they don't happen again, and they will do so in a manor that does not alienate the new comer from the sport or create animosity between them and CO's. Don't believe me? talk to a CO for yourself. Have you ever talked to a CO? From what I have seen, most of your posts seem to be based on a twisted personal perception, NOT experiance. As for stress ?? well this is where your obvious inexperiance shines through, I don't know of a single hunter that experiances "stress", in fact the act of hunting is a great stress reliever, something you won't know until you do it.

boxhitch
06-07-2007, 09:13 AM
I know of several teachers who are HBC members.
But are they comitted enough to spread the good word about hunting and firearms, or do they just follow the pc status quo ?

Steeleco
06-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Enforcing the meat zone from the non-meat zones could be problematic with funding issues.I thought that also, but why not emulate what some of the states do, where the "hunters feeding the hungry" program is a huge success? Also not that I'm against hunting for the pelts only, because I'm not, but a pelt hunting type person may go back to not hunting bears once they have the ones they want. Thus giving this incentive a short life expectancy?

If some areas of the province have that many bears, why even have a season? Once you've got you bag limit your done, be it July or Nov, it matters not.

Fisher-Dude
06-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Years back you could just go get your gun and license and tags ,no questions asked.

Years back there were a number of deaths due to hunting accidents too. Now there are very very few. Education is important. It's the challenge of getting kids into that education that we are facing.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-07-2007, 09:49 AM
It is tough I would imagine to talk about rifles and stuff like that outside of the hunting topic given all the sensitivity around school violence lately, many people are uninformed and group all firearms owners in a clump as many of us probably have experienced from time to time.

Woman can talk about men and not be talking about rapists:confused:.

SSS

Seeadler
06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
There are two things that need to be done, 1) recruit new hunters, and 2) get non-practicing (for lack of a better word) hunters back hunting.

From what I have seen, the reasons why people who used to hunt stopped are: all the new gun laws, and time factors.

To recruit new hunters, probably the best thing would be to have more children, the second best would be to mentor a neice/nephew, neighbour, coworker, friend of one of your children, etc. If even half the licenced hunters brought a new hunter in every 10 or 15 years through mentoring, that would be huge.

But, sadly, I am not sure actually doing things can compete with video games.

mapguy
06-07-2007, 10:22 AM
tpk you are right hunting is great for stress however for most people just being out in the outdoors will reduce stress .And the whole process of getting fac's taking core courses is just to much bother and expense for most people .
And yes if they make a mistake they will probably get a fine .

TPK
06-07-2007, 10:33 AM
"Never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experiance."

hunter1947
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Years back there were a number of deaths due to hunting accidents too. Now there are very very few. Education is important. It's the challenge of getting kids into that education that we are facing.
It won't happen to many other things the young kids like to do these days.:confused:

Phil
06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
I am a teacher in a high school that has a number of hunting families with kids in the school. I meet with a few of these kids daily to discuss various hunting related topics including guns. When I come back from a hunting trip it is expected by my students to give them a complete debriefing of the weekends events whether I was successful or not. I show all who are interested my pictures and share my game meat with all who are willing to try it when it is processed. I have never recieved any flack from any other staff or administration for my openness regarding my favorite pass time. A large majority of the projects I build for myself are hunting camping related such as meat racks, amo holders for my ATV, trailers for ATVs and related accessories, target stands and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment.

From my experience with the students I have spoken with the main reasons they can't get out to experience hunting is because of a lack of interenst by their parents. There is no point in a student who can't drive bothering to go through the entire process of getting a licence if they can't get into bush to hunt. There are a number of other factors that restrict their interest that have been previosly mentioned that fall under the catagory of "red tape". I should also say that at the high school age if an interest is generated in the student they are usually eager enough to wade through all the red tape to get their licence.

In addition, my experience with kids who have been raised hunters is that they are typically hard working honest kids who have a solid direction in life. I for one would jump at the opportunity to teach a hunting program in my school. I think that coupled with a mentorship program would be a huge success for hunting in general.

BCBear
06-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I am a teacher in a high school that has a number of hunting families with kids in the school. I meet with a few of these kids daily to discuss various hunting related topics including guns. When I come back from a hunting trip it is expected by my students to give them a complete debriefing of the weekends events whether I was successful or not. I show all who are interested my pictures and share my game meat with all who are willing to try it when it is processed. I have never recieved any flack from any other staff or administration for my openness regarding my favorite pass time. A large majority of the projects I build for myself are hunting camping related such as meat racks, amo holders for my ATV, trailers for ATVs and related accessories, target stands and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment.

From my experience with the students I have spoken with the main reasons they can't get out to experience hunting is because of a lack of interenst by their parents. There is no point in a student who can't drive bothering to go through the entire process of getting a licence if they can't get into bush to hunt. There are a number of other factors that restrict their interest that have been previosly mentioned that fall under the catagory of "red tape". I should also say that at the high school age if an interest is generated in the student they are usually eager enough to wade through all the red tape to get their licence.

In addition, my experience with kids who have been raised hunters is that they are typically hard working honest kids who have a solid direction in life. I for one would jump at the opportunity to teach a hunting program in my school. I think that coupled with a mentorship program would be a huge success for hunting in general.

We need more teachers like you Phil.

Stone Sheep Steve
06-07-2007, 12:28 PM

X28)!!

SSS

hunter1947
06-07-2007, 12:55 PM
You are right Phil when it comes to lack of interest from the parents ,when i was in my early teens ,it semed like every other person i new ,there dad was a hunter. It is the jeneraions just below me that showd littler interest in getting the kids into the hunting field and the:) outdoors.

boxhitch
06-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Re mentoring - maybe we also need a vehicle through which a 'sponsor' can put up the moneys required, to cover all the costs for a new hunter to be qualified to hunt. One lump payment to cover everything includeing the license and first tag.
Probably best done through a f&g club as administrator. Currently is difficult due to numerous agencies involved, but somehow it could be packaged. ??

rollingrock
06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Just wondering if the number of hunters is declining, why all the hunting spots are packed with people?

mapguy
06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
tpk are you so insecure that your reduced to juvenile name calling

Gateholio
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Just wondering if the number of hunters is declining, why all the hunting spots are packed with people?

Take 100 steps off the road, you will be alone.8)

rollingrock
06-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Take 100 steps off the road, you will be alone.8)

That's what I usually do.:-DBut I've noticed that some main roads at some hunting spots are on the route of some game's daily movement. But because of the heavy traffic, they have to go nocturnal.

I think that productivity is one another factor that refrains people from getting involved.

TPK
06-07-2007, 01:30 PM

I would assume there is a lack of knowledge of "other" spots to hunt in in that area if that's what you are seeing. The numbers of hunters has declined tremendously and that is an undeniable fact.

TPK
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
tpk are you so insecure that your reduced to juvenile name calling

I'm not calling anyone names .. I simply posted a favorite quote, no names singled out .. how ever .. if the shoe fits ...

rollingrock
06-07-2007, 01:36 PM
The funny thing is that when I try to lure one of my neighbours into hunting by offering him some meat, he usually will be happy with the meat but 'have problem with killing the animals':evil:. He loves guns, but the costs of reaching a gun really scares him off. Usually someone who starts playing with guns will finally step into hunting.

TPK
06-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I know many folks like that, couldn't squeeze the trigger but LOVE game meat.

Phil
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM

I am sure that there are more teachers with the same interest as me. What we need is the organiztion to get hunting programs into schools to give those interested in teaching it the opportunity to come forward. I am going to talk to my principal about this idea.

Perhaps a good place to start such a program is with a hunting club. With a few parent volunteers and teacher leadership it could be a heck of a lot of fun.

GrandA
06-07-2007, 02:26 PM
HI,
I thought I would add some insight to this thread as I am an inspiring hunter. First maybe some back ground on myself. I am 22, I fish a lot, I work and go to school, my parents are not hunters.

The reasons why I got interested in hunting is the great stories I heard from a friend at work who hunts. Then once I ate the moose steaks he brought out once I was hooked. I also regularly read this thread and think the values you guys have are very similar to mine.

The reasons why I have not started hunting are:

Rules to get your licenses and what not seem to be a tad complex
Start up costs are a lot more in comparrison to fishing - I understand fishing and hunting have different regulations and safety concerns for obvious reasons, but I can simply buy a tidal license for 40 bucks and be fishing tomorrow.

I liked the idea of a "sponsor" not financially, but someone to help with "newbie" questions. A sponsor that could guide you through the right way to do things would be great.

308BAR
06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
I would assume there is a lack of knowledge of "other" spots to hunt in that area if that's what you are seeing. The numbers of hunters has declined tremendously and that is an undeniable fact.

I would agree that people don't want to venture into new areas because they lack the success or distance travelled affects their decision.

More so though IMO most hunters (including myself) are guilty to for not passing on knowledge or know how onto new hunters or they only pass it onto friends which only becomes a family trade and it dies a family trade. We need to extend it to the relms of newbie and people we don't know.

A good example is in water fowling, there aren't enough people passing on the know how to the sport or where too, if I wasn't so comfortable hunting and exploring areas by myself, I don't believe I would try venture out onto the marsh or into the bush to chase down a duck or game animal. In a few years I could see the marsh or BB being void of hunters (more duck I guess).

I guess what I'm trying to say is retaining new hunters or developing new hunters, they need to be made comfortable in their new surrounding "mentored" so to say. For example a tour of the Pitt Marsh,(being a newbie quack addict) once I've done some exploring and feel comfortable myself navigating the marsh I wouldn't mind offering "tours" of the marsh from the water to new hunters or aspiring water fowlers.

What I image a tour would compose of is showing the newbie the area, layout, hazards, maybe what a set-up would look like. It's not much but I hope it would develop a bug in some newbies, and quell the fear of the unknown.

hunter1947
06-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I am sure that there are more teachers with the same interest as me. What we need is the organiztion to get hunting programs into schools to give those interested in teaching it the opportunity to come forward. I am going to talk to my principal about this idea.

Perhaps a good place to start such a program is with a hunting club. With a few parent volunteers and teacher leadership it could be a heck of a lot of fun.
Most parents won't go for that ,KILLING animal thing ,they don't what there kids involved around guns ETC ,they want them to learn others. Parents don't like the thought of guns being around there surroundings http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

Mr. Dean
06-07-2007, 04:32 PM
I liked the idea of a "sponsor" not financially, but someone to help with "newbie" questions. A sponsor that could guide you through the right way to do things would be great.

You my friend, are going to LOVE HBC!

Feel free to use and abuse the members here. Welcome to the site.

mapguy
06-07-2007, 08:40 PM
I've started 3 hunter so far now its time i concentrate on my grandchildren
Hopefully they will love the outdoors as much as i do .There's hiking , biking
mountain climbing and of course hunting if they so choose ,have to wait and see the oldest is only five .

Phil
06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Most parents won't go for that ,KILLING animal thing ,they don't what there kids involved around guns ETC ,they want them to learn others. Parents don't like the thought of guns being around there surroundings http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

I can't dissagree with you there. If a hunting course or CORE program were offered in a school to parents and students a few would join up. I don't anticipate the entire school body being interested. What would be important to me is that students join with interested parents to eliminate the problems like getting into the bush purchasing guns and amo and carrying a gun on a hunting trip legaly. All it takes is a handfull of recrutes from each of us to help generate future interest in the sport. With a little luck interest should snowball.

GoatGuy
06-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Good discussion!

Phil, you sound like a heck of a good guy! Probably the kind of guy I want to talk to.

For all - remember to focus on the reasons why and how to get more people involved and supportive of hunting, not why they won't.:mrgreen:

Look for solutions

greenhorn
06-07-2007, 11:59 PM
HI,
I thought I would add some insight to this thread as I am an inspiring hunter. First maybe some back ground on myself. I am 22, I fish a lot, I work and go to school, my parents are not hunters.

The reasons why I got interested in hunting is the great stories I heard from a friend at work who hunts. Then once I ate the moose steaks he brought out once I was hooked. I also regularly read this thread and think the values you guys have are very similar to mine.

The reasons why I have not started hunting are:

Rules to get your licenses and what not seem to be a tad complex
Start up costs are a lot more in comparrison to fishing - I understand fishing and hunting have different regulations and safety concerns for obvious reasons, but I can simply buy a tidal license for 40 bucks and be fishing tomorrow.

GrandA,

I only recently obtained all of my licenses and training, about a year and a half ago. I agree that the process can be a bit lengthy, but the total cost was somewhere around $300. If you spread that cost over the life of your new hobby, that's pretty cheap!

Where I work, most people do not hunt, and more than once I've been called out. Almost without exception, the people that are against hunting, in my experience, think that hunting is cruel and inhumane.

I usually explain to them that wild animals are not held captive, not injected with growth hormones or antibiotics, and that they are allowed to breed and roam free. How many farm or feed-lot animals can say the same these days?

I think it's sad, but some people just don't think their opinions through. Some people just don't stop to think that even farm animals are eventually slaughtered.

Mr. Dean
06-08-2007, 01:15 AM
I was 39 years old before I made the plunge and took the core. I always had the hunting fire within me BUT for various reasons, never had it burning to it's full potential.

The obsacles that readily come to mind are;

- Parents (when I was younger)
- Lack of 'extra' time to devote to hunting (CRAZY work schedule).
- The 'boondoggle' changes in the system
- Not having some one to show me the ropes.

I made it a point to make time for all things dear to me and said WTF to all the other crap and just did it. Looking back, all the other stuff doesn't mean SQUAT.

Back then, not having a mentor seemed HUGE. I'll admit, it was a friend that finally kicked my A$$ hard enough and invited me out for a week (if I licensed up) that did it. But for the people that are reading this that wanna hunt but haven't crossed the threshold yet, you don't really nead one!

The internet IS a powerfull tool and this site is a FINE example of what it is capable of doing. HBC is like having THOUSANDS of mentors at your finger tips. I think we all know the saying that two heads are better than one...

I believe that promoting this site WILL help increase Resident Hunters in British Columbia. I would even cast a vote that it should be mentioned in the C.O.R.E. manual as a further reference for new hunters to explore.

BTW. No, I'm not on the payroll. I've never met or even talked w/ Marc but you have to admit... The Newfie is doin one hell of a bang up job!

Still haven't read the last 14 pgs but I will... I PROMISE!

7mmag
06-08-2007, 04:11 AM
How can the provincial government recruit new hunters when the federal government persecutes gun owners at the same time?:confused::confused:

Guns are not only an essential tool for most hunters, but a big part of the allure to possible recruits.

I see no hope of expanding the number of hunters significantly while the current gun control regime stays in place. I have managed to get three people ether into the sport or back into the sport, but they all had firearms or firearms licenses before I met them. Anyone else I’ve tried to get in to the sport can’t be bothered to jump through the hoops or are genuinely afraid to own guns.

I’m still going to keep trying, and we should all do the same, but it feels like swimming up stream.:icon_frow

hunter1947
06-08-2007, 05:07 AM
Phil I have had about 12 different young fellows out in the bush hunting and camping and target shooting...... I ask some of them that showed interest in the gun and hunting thing if they were interested in taking the hunting course ,there reply was no ,i ask them WHY ,they said that the parents would not like the idea of firearms around there house and they also said they would rather rid there motor bikes and play video games . I said what don't you like about hunting some said getting up early ,shooting an animal and cleaning it also driving to far to get to the hunting spot and walking to far. I have given some of these young people a chance to get into the hunting field ,but it's not working very good ,they show little interest in it.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif. I think that teaching the kids at school about guns would learn them all about safety when it comes to knowing about firearms. As for sending pages of wording home to the parents so they can understand about guns. We all have a battle on our hands phil in order to support new recruitment ,keep it up buddy ,good luck on ever which way you decide to go...

7mmag
06-08-2007, 05:19 AM
The other thing I wanted to add is that the 20-40 year old demographic should not be over looked when searching for new hunters. I was in that age rage when I started all but one of the guys I hunt with were to, and jugging from some of the posts on this site there is a lot more like me.

Looking back I see my biggest problem was finding someone to teach me the in’s and out’s of hunting in different terrains and of field dressing\skinning. All things you have to learn by doing them in the field.

Why not set up something on this page where experienced hunters who are willing to take new hunters out post up? I can see why guys wouldn’t want to take a kid (that’s not family) out hunting and have to hold there hand the hole time. However Someone who can pay there own way, take care of them self’s, fisicaly hunt on thier own, and don’t need a parents permission might be a different story.

I figured I should come up with some solutions after my last pessimistic post:wink:

hunter1947
06-08-2007, 05:42 AM
The other thing I wanted to add is that the 20-40 year old demographic should not be over looked when searching for new hunters. I was in that age rage when I started all but one of the guys I hunt with were to, and jugging from some of the posts on this site there is a lot more like me.

Looking back I see my biggest problem was finding someone to teach me the in’s and out’s of hunting in different terrains and of field dressing\skinning. All things you have to learn by doing them in the field.

Why not set up something on this page where experienced hunters who are willing to take new hunters out post up? I can see why guys wouldn’t want to take a kid (that’s not family) out hunting and have to hold there hand the hole time. However Someone who can pay there own way, take care of them self’s, fisicaly hunt on thier own, and don’t need a parents permission might be a different story.

I figured I should come up with some solutions after my last pessimistic post:wink: You have some good ideas there 7mm ,great idea.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

mapguy
06-08-2007, 07:42 AM
Part of the problem for recruitment is the image that the general public has towards hunters . They see us a radical guntotting rednecks and it scares the hell out of them . Some are but most are not . I think we need to be promoting things like hiking canoeing wilderness walks the hunting may follow for some .I hunt because I like the meat when it's done right .And after 40 years of hunting the shooting of the animal is still not pleasant hope it never is .
If we really want to promote hunting our goverment needs to promote the meat .
Deer moose elk and other wild game is much healthier for you .
1; It has less cholesteral than chicken turkey or beef
2; It has less saturated fats than beef
3; It has a complete complement of amino acids
Education is our best tool we should try using it

Mr. Dean
06-08-2007, 08:45 AM

My 1st buck was dressed in the bush via 'cheat sheets' that I copied from the CORE book and then laminated. I was 40 years old and you can bet that it was something that made me nervous. I was lucky that I had some one close by that could walk me through the skinning and then insist that we fumble through the proccessing.

I've spouted this DVD off on other threads: Deer Proccessing 101.

I have handed out a couple of them to new and wet behind the ears hunters. It covers EVERYTHING from just after the trigger is pulled to closing the lid on the freezer door. Nothing is hidden and it doesn't use charts or pictures to teach. They go to work on a real Deer in the field. You're in so close, you'd swear that you can smell the blood.

If I had that movie before dropping my 1st animal, things would've been a lot easier. It's an EXCELLENT source of information.

Going at it alone, doesn't need to be an overwhelming task as long as a person can get their hands on good/sound information.

7mmag
06-09-2007, 01:27 AM
You have some good ideas there 7mm ,great idea.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Thanx hunter1947 I'd sign up... I'm no expert but I'm sure I could find a new hunter his first "dink". Also my hunting team needs a new addition to even the numbers out.

7mmag
06-09-2007, 01:41 AM
Going at it alone, doesn't need to be an overwhelming task as long as a person can get their hands on good/sound information.[/quote]

Your right! It can be done on your own but I think alot of people would be too nervous to even try.

The best way to get people hooked is to make sure that their first time out is as easy and enjoyable as possible. Having “mentors” available could not only convince a few more people to give it a try, but might also make it more likely they stay in the sport.

First impressions are every thing 8)

Walksalot
06-09-2007, 06:20 AM
With all the media attention the anti hunting groups get it can be a tad intimidating for a person thinking of taking up the sport of hunting. Granted education is the key to having a person make an informed and educated decision to take up the sport. While the nutritional value is a very good reason to harvest an animal I think that wildlife management,in the end, will make the most sense. The amount of animals which are inhabiting our neighborhoods is increasing and the demand to control these animals will increase as the residence venture into their back yards and find their shrubs and gardens decimated by these animals. The fertilizer will hit the ventilator when residence of suburbia look at the prospect of spending money as in fencing to protect their flora and fauna from the ravages of these critters.

I think allot of damage to the sport of hunting comes from much of the publics perception of hunting as hunters going after a trophy and that being the main reason they hunt.

mapguy
06-09-2007, 06:36 AM
walksalot you make a very good point . there are more and more problems
with bears coyotes and cougars in urban areas . however most communities have even gone so far as to ban bow hunting . Had a trail all pick out a few yrs. back even had a stand 30 in the air .Had a perfect view of the best buck trail on the lower island .They change to a shotgun with only area that season .I believe there was a spot in washington that baned hunting .
Deer got so bad they were begging hunters to come back .
Promoting the meat and youth programs would be our best bet.

hunter1947
06-09-2007, 07:27 AM
I think one of the reason behind no new recruitment is the parents now a days are not back woods campers and there are very few that are hunters ,for this reason the young people don't get that chance to be introduced to the sport..

Walksalot
06-09-2007, 07:47 AM
With the number of problem animals increasing in the residential areas the problem will cure itself. The hunter education programs will be reintroduced into the schools and the focus will be on responsible wildlife management. Already the feelings toward deer in the residential areas has went from cute to pain in the ass to hate them. It is already happening that the predators are following the food source into the residential areas and when public safety is threatened the general public will realize the benefits to a responsible wildlife management strategy. It will come full circle in the not to distant future.
T

mapguy
06-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I think they will just hire someone with hounds to deal with problem animals in rural areas .with any luck they will reopen bow season in some of the areas that they banned it .Here on the island they will have to deal with access issues also .We have to travel a couple hrs to find access .Mostly gates from victoria to campbell river on the east side mostly the south end of the island .
Hats off to the members working on the access issue .

cwocarsten
06-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I am curious with where they will go with electronic licenceing. I like the Alberta system especially the draw system where you get a point if you are not drawn and get a better chance the following year of a draw. I wrote a letter to a Wildlife Biologist about 14 years ago about changing to Albertas system and got a 3 page reply against it. OH YA coincidently I have not been drawn for LEH moose/elk since then.

hunter1947
06-10-2007, 04:35 AM
Cwocarsten ,I like Alberta draw system as well ,like you said your chances get better each year if you don't get picked.

pikey
06-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I am in the 20-40 (36) bracket and just started hunting at the end of last year last year.

It's a pretty steep learning curve, I have yet to get my first big game animal and if I tallied up what I have spent so far on rifle, shotgun, courses, licenses, gas....I have spent a lot of $$$'s so far.

Kudos to eveyone on this site though, it's my main reference tool for learning what the hell I am doing out there!

It sure isn't an instant gratification sport, and I think that is a big part of the problem along with the vilification of hunting and firearms in general.

hunter1947
06-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Pikey ,every year will get better for you ,just get out as many times as you can ,every time you go out ,it is chocked up in the old computer mind of yours ,and this forum has really noligable hunters to get advice from ,good luck this year on your hunts http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif,hunter wayne. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

7mmag
06-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Pikey

hunter1947 couldn't have put it any better.

Every time you get out you'll learn something new, and before you know it you'll be passing on the animals your praying for now.

Having a long wieght just makes your frist animal that much sweeter:mrgreen:

hunter1947
06-11-2007, 04:12 AM
One more little hint ,go out with exsperinced hunters when you can.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

pikey
06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Hopefully I will get out with some experienced hunters in the fall, the hardest lesson I've learnt so far is to slow everything down!
First mulie, moose, blackie I see in the fall is going to get it big time.

The licensing situation is a little much, want to fish and hunt, you need a hunting license with tags, federal license for migratory birds, freshwater license and maybe a tidal, saltwater license for fishing, oh yeah I got to carry my firearm card and registration, I need a portable filing cabinet :)

hunter1947
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
It's funny you said that Pikey ,i have been a fast mover in hunting all my carrier , one day someone asked me why don't you slow down you will see more game ,i said if i cover 6 times the ground you do i will probably see more game. He said to me i don't think so ,but if you slow down your chances of seeing more are greater ,i said no ,when i am covering ground i will see more then you going slower , i have proved it year after year and all in my favor ,but when i see something that is a shooter ,then i slow down and become pat of the forest and crawl ,that's the way i hunt ,that's the way i have always hunted ,it's a preferable to what the person wants to do ,i took the fast way. chock this one up in your mind for down the road pikeyhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

SUAFOYT
06-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Back to the original thread. The LEH complaints re the AB system vs ours do not belong here. Those were dealt with in detail on the sticky thread ask your LEH questions. This is about getting new blood into this sport. I think the recommendations are excellent, but then I have a biased view as I am a sometime hunting partner of the author of the report. I'm of the opinion that the time taken for this report and it's recommendations is money well spent.

pupper
06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
I think they should teach the importance of hunting in schools.

alot of the info in the report needs to be taught to all people.

they made us learn about evolution, world religions, etc.

why not hunting ethics/ importance of hunting

GoatGuy
06-14-2007, 01:45 AM
......................bump

boxhitch
04-15-2009, 11:04 PM
......................bumpdon't spill the beer

GoatGuy
04-15-2009, 11:04 PM
don't spill the beer

thanks, it's wine (not whine) tonight.

Stone Sheep Steve