PDA

View Full Version : Mountain goat or something else?

Drache
04-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Sorry no pictures yet. Never got close enough. A family friend mentioned he seen a mountain goat on his property. He lives on the west side of the Fraser in region 5-13. I've never seen one around this area so I can't say for sure if there is. I couldn't get close enough to actually see it clearly with my own eyes but it was large and white. This guy though states he has seen it clearly. He describes it as large, white, with horns pointing straight up.

I was thinking maybe a domesticated Angora or Saanen goat that escaped but he says it is a mountain goat.

I don't have any game cams to set up so I'll have to keep trying to sneak up close enough for my camera.

264mag
04-22-2016, 08:39 AM
In 2010, we were hunting moose in 5-13 c north of Nazko. Driving down a main road a mountain goat ran across the road and paralleled us for a 1/4 mile or so. It was running full tilt and was very dirty and looked extremely tired. There were 4 of us in the truck and we were all shocked. We asked around after that and were told by locals that this happens from time to time, goats go a bit nuts and tend to wander aimlessly. I am sure your buddy is dead right. The nearest goat range is a long ways away but they are very durable animals.

decker9
04-22-2016, 08:46 AM
I'm in burns lake, and have seen a few goats on random little rock bluffs locally here over the years. last fall there was one hanging out right beside the pellet plant here.

Few years ago, I was fishing on augier lake, a rock bluff a km or 2 from the lake had a lone goat on it. So loaded up the camera and went for a hike, spend the day chillin about 50 yards from this lone nanny, was pretty cool, till I posted it on Facebook, and a couple days later, 2 local natives went and shot her.

There are definitely goats passing though, could have easily been what you guys seen.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/Copyofaugiergoat015.jpg (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/decker1122/media/Copyofaugiergoat015.jpg.html)

604Stalker
04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
.. Im glad you shared the picture just not the story thats unfortunet to hear. Proves why you shoud not let facebook know. I have seen goats in strange places myself tho.

BCbuckhunter
04-22-2016, 09:16 AM
There area few Mountain goats in the area. They've been seen on the cliffs above deep creek trail, and farther down the Fraser towards Macalister. Theres a small herd of Cali Bighorn there too.

HarryToolips
04-22-2016, 09:22 AM
.. Im glad you shared the picture just not the story thats unfortunet to hear. Proves why you shoud not let facebook know. I have seen goats in strange places myself tho.
You would think certain people would have more ethics than to shoot one in a area where thereis few, especially a nanny..some people..

Drache
04-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Theres a small herd of Cali Bighorn there too.

There was. I live near Eberding Road and haven't seen the Bighorn in about 6 years or more. I know a few members of the local Band went and shot some of them at one time.

Summit 512
04-22-2016, 04:01 PM
There getting to be lots of goats up in the Itcha and Ilgachuz again,so not that far for one of them to got on a walk about.

two-feet
04-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Yep them goats will travel. The mountains can be like islands, sometimes they have to move...

Cordillera
04-22-2016, 08:33 PM
Goats spend a lot more time in the forest than most of us think. Sometimes a long way from the rocks.

Skull Hunter
04-23-2016, 09:04 AM
In 2010, we were hunting moose in 5-13 c north of Nazko. Driving down a main road a mountain goat ran across the road and paralleled us for a 1/4 mile or so. It was running full tilt and was very dirty and looked extremely tired.

This sounds awful. You guys must have been driving pretty fast to not have been able to stop for a 1/4 mile.

264mag
04-23-2016, 09:18 AM
I guess I better clarify a couple of points here, we were on Alec Meadow Road which runs though several meadows and clearings. We were actually driving very slow, he ran out onto the road in front of us and ran straight down the road for a couple hundred yards then took off into the bush and ran through the trees for a another hundred yards then back out into the road . He did this about 3 times and then took off straight into the trees. We stopped and watched him the first time then he went into the bush and we started driving again then he popped back out in the road. The whole thing took about 30 seconds. It wasn't awful at all it was actually pretty cool to see one in this area.
Hopefully you feel better now.

~T-BONE~
04-23-2016, 09:37 AM
I had a billy in November come into buck grunts, while hunting in old growth. This was miles from any bluffs. I think it's not uncommon at all

Skull Hunter
04-23-2016, 12:44 PM
I guess I better clarify a couple of points here, we were on Alec Meadow Road which runs though several meadows and clearings. We were actually driving very slow, he ran out onto the road in front of us and ran straight down the road for a couple hundred yards then took off into the bush and ran through the trees for a another hundred yards then back out into the road . He did this about 3 times and then took off straight into the trees. We stopped and watched him the first time then he went into the bush and we started driving again then he popped back out in the road. The whole thing took about 30 seconds. It wasn't awful at all it was actually pretty cool to see one in this area.
Hopefully you feel better now.

Thanks for clarifying... Hate seeing videos of guys chasing moose down roads in winter, or really harassing animals in any way. Sounds like you guys were being respectful.