PDA

View Full Version : Civilian Backpacks For Hunting??

lank1234
04-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Hey all,

Looking at picking up a new hunting backpack. It'd mainly be used for 2-4 days hike in trips and have enough room to pack out an animal. Open to any suggestions if you have personal experiences. Preferably a pack that would come in darker colours (sage, green, black, etc). May be open to some hunting packs, just not looking to drop $500 on a backpack.

Thanks

warnniklz
04-20-2016, 07:59 PM
I started with an Asolo Navigator 70. Was heavy, but it carried my gear. I've since upgraded. Keep an eye out for packs in the buy and sell section on here.

Salix
04-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Look at the llbean hunter carry-all pack with a large dry bag to carry gear as a cheaper alternative for an entry level hunting pack. The llbean pack works well for carrying gear as well as game quarters if you are lucky. Other traditional hiking backpacks can work but you will learn they won't hold up to the wear and tear that hunting situations put you and them into.
I used the llbean pack for a number of years and was relatively happy with it but moved up to a bigger more versatile hunting pack last year. Kifaru EMR II, it's pricey but I'll have it forever.

Ferenc
04-20-2016, 08:08 PM
In regards to colors I would tend to stay away from anything in black... Maybe it's me.. And the stories you hear of people being scoped out

lank1234
04-20-2016, 08:20 PM
Im mostly just looking for a pack that isnt bright yellow or red haha, black would dirty quickly as well. What do you mean by being "scoped out"? Not familiar with the term

Ferenc
04-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Being scoped out in being in the line of sight of another hunter... And it's just me and the color black. Bears are black... Moose are black.. And most hunters are not color blind.. Lol .. But the stories you hear of hunters using scoped rifles to identify their quarry is what I'm getting at... I would stick to the Forest green color you have mentioned. : )

lank1234
04-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Ah I understand now, very valid point. I will try to avoid black. Didnt even really think about that, thanks for the input!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-20-2016, 09:19 PM
In regards to colors I would tend to stay away from anything in black... Maybe it's me.. And the stories you hear of people being scoped out

Plus black isn't the best color for packing out meat if it's warm and sunny. It will add heat

suburbanpat
04-20-2016, 10:29 PM
Give the pack a shake and see how noisy it is. Thought about the same thing and realized that a Badlands backpack is awesome, quiet, and has a lifetime warranty. Buy a good bag once and be happy.

AgSilver
04-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Amazon has some decent deals on packs, depending on how big you want. I have the Allen Company Canyon 2150 and am pretty impressed with it. You want bigger than that, of course, but they have a lot of options.

allan
04-21-2016, 10:13 AM
two of the most successful hunters I know don't have "hunting" packs, just whatever they found at the hiking store that was the size and price they wanted.

Don't be fooled by brand hype, or cool status. I fell for it in the beginning and regret paying extra for some "hunting" gear that I didn't really need to spend extra on.

BgBlkDg
04-21-2016, 10:39 AM
True, for most of my decades of wilderness work and recreation, I had only what was available from BC retailers and I seem to have done OK.

The new "hunting industry" fad with highly specialized gear, certain brand names, slavish following of certain self-styled internet "gurus", who make BIG BUX promoting only specific brands, which frequently change models, is 98% bullshit hype and is an American, invention to make money and also because they have so little real wilderness hunting left in the "Lower 48".

I have some camo, largely due to wanting the specific inexpensive gear it comes in, i.e. Cabela's Microtex clothing, works fine and costs a fraction of the fancy "name" stuff so often mentioned here. But, I have usually just bought gear in "earth tones" and see no reason to change.

A GOOD pack is a tool well worth spending serious coin on, but, for most people, a Mystery Ranch, Dana Design orginal. Seek Outside or maybe a Kelty Cache Hauler, LLBean frame or modded Camp Trails, older Kelty or one of the mountaineering brands, will work as well as the latest that everyone is talking about on the various forums.

In fact, if starting out, I would avoid all this fancy crap and concentrate on buying GOOD boots, GOOD optics and a decent camp rig and perhaps a sound USED pack. JMHO-YMMV.

jessonml
04-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Arcteryx Bora series is awesome. For multi-day trips and hauling out animals, my Bora 90 served me very well. I sold it to a member on here and I suspect it will serve him very well for many years as well. I wore out the shoulder straps and Arcteryx sent me new ones, free of charge, and I had them on my doorstep in 2 days. I now have a Mystery Ranch cuz I like to be cool but my partner with a Stone Glacier is even cooler. But seriously, you will be super happy with a Bora for about $150.