PDA

View Full Version : Which atv do you prefer

BRrooster
04-20-2016, 05:00 AM
I am looking to upgrade my 2 wheel drive Honda for a small 4x4 Atv. Nothing too large , say a 350 or 400 max. Something and old
guy like me can putt around on and pull out a Moose if I have too. Ive heard that from 400 cc and up they start to use a lot more
fuel. What do you prefer and why? Shaft drive, chain drive , independent suspension, ???. Full time 4x4 doesn't sound like a good
idea.
'

kevan
04-20-2016, 05:21 AM
We bought two Arctic Cat 400s new in 2005 and couldn't be happier.
They have never been back to a dealer, no issues at all and just keep on doing the job.
Of course there are much more powerful / faster machines, but we have never needed more.
Would I buy them again ? ... In a heartbeat..

bigredchev
04-20-2016, 06:00 AM
Kodiak are the way to go. I've got a 92 400 and it's a tank. Cvt is nice but a gear type transmission is tough and reliable

Backwoods
04-20-2016, 06:23 AM
I bought a 2006 Yamaha 660 grizzly brand new in 06', I almost got talked into getting the kodiak 450, I'm really happy I went with more power, also higher ground clearance!! I would recommend a Yamaha grizzly 660 for sure!! Or even the newer grizzly with power steering. Having that extra power when in abit of mud is nice, or when stuck having that torque, also ground clearance was the big deal breaker, nice to have the extra horsepower if needed but don't need to be using it if just trail riding!! Also if your going to haul a trailer or pack moose quarters/ any game out its nice having the larger cc units. Also have an 2006 Yamaha rhino 660 with mcexpress turbo, another crazy reliable unit, that's my camping/ moose hunting rig. ���� can't go wrong purchasing any Yamaha atv!!

.308SLAYER
04-20-2016, 06:31 AM
Def get power steering if you can afford it but I would go with a Yamaha or a hOnda cant go wrong. I got a Kodiak 400 all I need not as much clearence as the bigger quads but not really a issue in my opinion smaller machines are better on gas and smaller machines get into some sweet spots and are lighter. Last winter buddy and I were in the snow I'm on my 400 he's on a 700 grizz he was getting stuck in places I was just staying on top of the snow kept her wide open he wasn't impressed that day

.308SLAYER
04-20-2016, 06:43 AM
I know guys that have 86 250 4wd drives been packing out big game for years 400 and up you can't go wrong my 400 has pulled Out bull elk whole with this machine little bit of catwalk in but noon sweat.

Hillbros_96
04-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Honda all the way, I would still be using my 96 350 solid axle full time 4x4 if it wasn't stolen. So now I am using my 500 part time 4x4 honda with solid axles. Not much has changed other then power steering and button shifting (which is much harder to get used to then I expected). The problem these days the smaller ones don't come with many features, but I definitely don't think you need more then 500 to do anything with a quad.

ACE
04-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Kodiak are the way to go. I've got a 92 400 and it's a tank. Cvt is nice but a gear type transmission is tough and reliable

Agree ..... ^
Prefer Honda personally .... but, as bigredchev says "gear type transmission is tough and reliable"
Not sure but, I believe Honda is the only 'utility quad' manufacturer that doesn't use a belt drive now.
Yesterday ... was out looking for bear on my 1990 Honda 350 4Trax ..... it has pulled a few moose bulls out of the brush pile, and has never had anything changed on it except tires and batteries. Period!
Have a '99 450S Foreman that is more comfortable ..... easier to ride.

Again, personal preference ........ Honda or older Yamaha/gears, and a manual shift. Kijiji has some interesting machines at a price that won't damage your budget.
The new machines are big, fast, lots of glitter, and belt drives ......... :mrgreen:Remember 'belts are for holding your pants up' :mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2016, 08:02 AM
Gears suck. Auto is the way to go, especially if you're a road cruiser and find yourself going through cross ditches every 100 yards. Who wants to be hunting for gears when you could be hunting for moose instead?

Only one manufacturer hasn't upgraded to CVT/belt automatics.

Kinda reminds me of this...

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4c/34/7a/4c347aeb547dba4a1be9e59a12ff6b36.jpg

bigneily
04-20-2016, 08:22 AM
I have an 03 Kodiak 450 le been a great machine thru the years , I have owned it since new . But I think my next purchase for myself will be a Rokon 2wd motorbike , They look pretty badass .

264mag
04-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Hondas for me, bulletproof.

Squamch
04-20-2016, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=bigneily;1773205]I have an 03 Kodiak 450 le been a great machine thru the years , I have owned it since new . But I think my next purchase for myself will be a Rokon 2wd motorbike , They look pretty badass .[/QUOTE

Test one first. You know how it is riding a quad in 4wd, with traction? Kinda feels like steering a tank? They're like that all the time. Or at least the one I tried was.

04-20-2016, 09:07 AM
I have a 2007 Can Am Outlander 400 with almost 6000km on it. It has been perfect so far. The new 450s are fuel injected and have power steering. I would give them a look. Outlanders are really ergonomic for longer rides.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-20-2016, 09:21 AM
I would look at the Polaris Sportsman ETX line if you want a small cc machine ....

1200 pounds towing Capacity, Comfortable ride, Large fuel capacity, great fuel economy

I would look at anything with Independant rear before any solid axel if you intend to ride for more than an hour each trip

Many Quality machines out there
just a reminder to look at these ones
http://www.polaris.com/en-ca/atv-quad/2015/sportsman-etx-blue-fire

Ubertuber
04-20-2016, 09:55 AM
I have a Grizzly 700. I hate the auto transmission. You have to be on the throttle all the time in order to keep the machine rolling even while going downhill.
Next ATV I buy will hopefully have gears.
Belts suck.

barry1974w
04-20-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure I'd say that Honda hasn't "upgraded" by not going to a CVT system. When the machine has to work hard, it's nice to be able to pick a gear and pull. But in saying that, I've got two yamahas, both with CVT. Pretty sure they're not making the Kodiak anymore, which is a shame, I think they were one of the best machines ever.
If you're looking for a used machine you won't go wrong with a low mileage Kodiak or Honda

New Bow Hunter
04-20-2016, 10:20 AM
The best one I have owned is the one that is paid for. Was at the dealership recently and 25 thousand for a side-by-side.....really!
We had an Arctic Cat 399 and it was wonderful. Now have a 2011 Yamaha side-by-side to haul our asses around and we enjoy it.

bigredchev
04-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Also smaller machines usually have a backup pull start which I like having in the bush.

Iron Glove
04-20-2016, 10:43 AM
I have a 2007 Can Am Outlander 400 with almost 6000km on it. It has been perfect so far. The new 450s are fuel injected and have power steering. I would give them a look. Outlanders are really ergonomic for longer rides.

Have a 2013 Outlander Max 400, great ride.
Just picked up a 2015 Outlander L Max 450 with power steering for the wife. Wow, what a difference, wife might lose her ride to me. :)

Remington721
04-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Personally if you had the money i would be looking at a outlander 650xt, great quads and lots of power from the 650

Darksith
04-20-2016, 10:56 AM
450 is about right, 650 is great, but you will really notice the fuel consuption difference when riding the 2 together with a buddy...

wideopenthrottle
04-20-2016, 10:57 AM
I have a brother (dan) who is a poster child for abusing equipment.....there have only been 2 things that he has owned that he was unable to completely destroy...Toyota truck (he even rolled it on 2 different occasions but a new cab and a few other goodies and back on the road) and his Honda 185 trike....I am a solid fan of both Toyota trucks and Honda quads as they passed the Danny test...

Rupert Retired
04-20-2016, 11:02 AM
They all work - but Polaris has a reputation for being the most comfortable. Something us old-timers appreciate.

Rob Chipman
04-20-2016, 11:23 AM
Yamaha Bruin 350. I'm not big, and it isn't hard to overload it if you don't travel light, but I've hauled out a few moose with it. Usually two trips, what with gear and carcass. Easy to fit in the truck and turn over if I flip it (it happens when you overload it and go bushwhacking on steep terrain and try to hammer over deadfall....what can I say?).

Anyway, I'm very happy with it.

khoffnbud
04-20-2016, 11:39 AM
88 Honda fourtrax 300, never broken down, ever. I can't count how many times there's been a full moose on it, half on the front, half on the back. 2007 Honda rubicon 500, never broken down either. Can't beat a Honda, rugged, reliable, shaft driven. Imo stay away from all the fancy add on garbage like power steering, lockable diffs. It's all just stuff that WILL fail and leave you broke down and probably not anywhere close to help either. Seen it happen, and it's gonna happen eventually. Personally, I prefer the 88, more than enough power for hunting and smaller and lighter than my 500, and gets in more places.

Ed George
04-20-2016, 12:16 PM
If you can find one, the Suzuki 300 King Quad has a 5 spd with 3 ranges giving 15 forward gears with diff lock they are amazing for pulling power and have full independent suspension. They also have a 2wd mode. Mine have never let me down. Unfortunately they haven't been made since about 2002 and weigh under 500 lbs.

Hunting for Health not Heads

M.Dean
04-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Yamaha's are best cuz I have two of them! Just don't ever, Ever try to "Pull Start" them! And as with any make or model of ATV, if you run the shit out of them, and instead of driving around a huge pile of big rocks, you hit them at 90 K's a hour and sink the ATV up to the gas tank in black oozing swamp mud every time you go out, your going to have problems! But, if you keep them clean, change oil every year, check wheel bearings and stuff like that, darn near any make of quad will give you years of reliable, trouble free driving. I just love the guys that get all liquored up and run the shit out of there quads, hammer into a pile of rocks or tree trucks and rip the best part of the suspension out, then whine and bitch like a school girl that this make of quads real cheap and won't stand up to a bit of rugged riding! No quad will handle total abuse and a idiot as a owner! Good luck, and ride safely!

bigneily
04-20-2016, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=bigneily;1773205]I have an 03 Kodiak 450 le been a great machine thru the years , I have owned it since new . But I think my next purchase for myself will be a Rokon 2wd motorbike , They look pretty badass .[/QUOTE

Test one first. You know how it is riding a quad in 4wd, with traction? Kinda feels like steering a tank? They're like that all the time. Or at least the one I tried was. Thanx for the input , I think I would for sure have to go into it with an open mind on the handling end of the machine . As with any machine there is advantages and disadvantages , My quad would never go as it has proven itself for usefulness but the 2wd bike with the low center of gravity and the narrowness just makes it appeal to me . Neil

moosinaround
04-20-2016, 03:34 PM
I've said it once, I'll say it again, HONDA!! trx420, IFS now, plenty of moose moving power, electric shift is very nice, and Honda reliability! The trx 500 can come with the Hondamatic tranny, or electric shift. Only other I'd look at is the Can am, they are pretty nice machines as well. Saying this, you can get in to a polaris pretty cheap, but remember, you get what you pay for! Moosin

KodiakHntr
04-20-2016, 04:52 PM
450 is about right, 650 is great, but you will really notice the fuel consuption difference when riding the 2 together with a buddy...

Absolutely correct. GF and main hunting buddy both have Yamaha 450 kodiaks. Both burn significantly more fuel than I do on my Outlander 1000 when riding together.

V twin doesn't need as high of rpm' to cover ground.

Definite difference if if the opportunity is there to go hammer some mud holes, climb some hills, check out something over there, go back to that mud hole, then catch back up, then fuel consumption is on par. Mind you, my fun meter is pegged at the redline, and I covered more km's even though we went from point a to point b together....

ruger#1
04-20-2016, 05:15 PM
If you can find one, the Suzuki 300 King Quad has a 5 spd with 3 ranges giving 15 forward gears with diff lock they are amazing for pulling power and have full independent suspension. They also have a 2wd mode. Mine have never let me down. Unfortunately they haven't been made since about 2002 and weigh under 500 lbs.

Hunting for Health not HeadsI have a 1993. Very good on fuel. Kawasaki bought them out. I think they make a 400. Suspension is different on them.

Fisher-Dude
04-20-2016, 05:56 PM
Absolutely correct. GF and main hunting buddy both have Yamaha 450 kodiaks. Both burn significantly more fuel than I do on my Outlander 1000 when riding together.

V twin doesn't need as high of rpm' to cover ground.

Definite difference if if the opportunity is there to go hammer some mud holes, climb some hills, check out something over there, go back to that mud hole, then catch back up, then fuel consumption is on par. Mind you, my fun meter is pegged at the redline, and I covered more km's even though we went from point a to point b together....

I noticed quite a difference in fuel consumption between my 500 Polar-ass and my buddy's 600 Grizzly.

I get 23 - 25 mpg consistently. He uses just about TWICE the fuel as I.

Could be related to the Polaris' liquid vs the Yammy's air-cooled efficiencies, but it's a huge difference.

I always laughed at him when he would strap a spare 5 gallon can to his rack. He always responded with two words. :-o

Gun Dog
04-20-2016, 05:57 PM
I have a Grizzly 700. I hate the auto transmission. You have to be on the throttle all the time in order to keep the machine rolling even while going downhill.
Next ATV I buy will hopefully have gears.
Belts suck.Belts have nothing to do with it. Most ATVs have massive engine braking on purpose. When I got my Kawi I considered disabling it but I've come around.

For the OP, power steering is a must have for my next ATV. 500cc is a nice size for a utility ATV. I like my Honda because it has a 4 speed automatic (probably from a Civic) which makes for a quiet machine. I like my Kawasaki because it's a 2-cylinder and goes like stink.

scoutlt1
04-20-2016, 06:37 PM
I've debated replacing my 2000 2WD Honda 250 with a 4WD up to 400 or 500cc...
What's stopped me is that my Honda is light, great on fuel, and has never left me stranded and it was paid for...well...since I bought it new.

Downside....it doesn't do 70mph, won't pull a monster moose out of a swamp, doesn't ride like a Cadillac, has no auto tranny or GPS....

My quad gets me where I want to go. If I packed a 5 gallon jerry can I could probably ride for a week. Yeah I have to shift gears but honestly I don't even notice when I shift up or down (but maybe that's just me).

I refuse to get old btw, and my dad and his dad found ways to get moose out of a swamp before quads were around...... :)

I sure want one of those new ATVs though. Damn they are cool!!! :)

cash12
04-20-2016, 06:46 PM
I own a polaris sportsman 850 and its a POS, they are built cheep, the only good thing is the power and good ride. I have done one axle and both back wheel bearings and just waiting for a new TPS to come in the mail, the trailing arm bushings are sloppy at about 3000 km. I bought it on sale at a really good price but if i did it again it would be a yamaha or can am.

okas
04-20-2016, 08:08 PM
honda 420 rancher ... easy on you good on fuel and simple :smile: i have grizzlys, can ams no more ever polasses

MOUNTAIN MICKEY
04-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Hey rooster, I have been riding a 2004 Yamaha 350 Bruin 4x4 since they came out in 2004. Excellent machine. I bought a 2015 Polaris ACE 570 last fall and it is great. Nice to sit in with a back rest and steering wheel. 20 ltr fuel tank and also very economical to ride. Really smoothes out the trails as compared to the Bruin. Good machines for use older guys.

Dougielightning
04-20-2016, 10:20 PM
My 03 grizzly 660 has almost 14000 km on it . Still runs great just saying, it uses about the same fuel as our 400 kodiak 400 which has also been great. Independent suspension is benificial the kodiak struggles around rocks and logs, hops more than it should I guess. Yamaha or Honda Imo

srupp
04-20-2016, 10:59 PM
Hmmm Honda.period.
300 mid 1980, s..sold it to Tim..he still rides it with me..most sold ATV ever.
My new 2007 ? Bought new also has never stranded me..
Honda..as said bullet proof reliable ! It does not have power steering..but quality ITP 8 ply radials reliable Baja cross..solve that issue..it does not have fuel I injection but gets great milage..500 model..its shaft drive automatic..with added independent selectable gear ranges..dragged a A big moose, also carried 1/2 a big moose at a time.its a simple model..and inexpensive..never would deal with belts..
The Honda mechanic put on the service bill...Looks like new , , that was lat years servicing..2015..on my 2007 model.it plows snow all winter..spring bear hunting. .summer scouting..and fall moose..deer..sheep..
Its reliable, efficiant, capable. .quiet..dependable. .love the adjustable shocks with settings, adjustable gear selection in manual mode, and auto most all the time ,..enough power, great fuel economy, great ground clearance yet stability..

Would buy a new one in a heart beat..but would never NEED to..
Only down fall isnt there always one?..its factory lights arnt the best..
However in the end reliability is the key factor on a ATV.
As I lay in Kamloops hospital having had one hip replacement last april..and my first knee replacement this morning realising you can go further in 1 hour than you could walk in an entire day its ALL about reliability.period.doing what you need it to do when you need it to do.and you dont need 3 human joint replacement surgeries to appreciate this reliability issue.
Fuel economy is important..yes..I carry a reserve fuel systom on my Honda , and a small 4 litre gas jug, winch, and chain saw on the front, day box on the rear...its dependable, select 2 wheel drive for normal FSR road use, and 4x4 selectfor deep mud..and low 4x4 for the grunt works.

Cheers
Steven

nedarb2
04-20-2016, 11:22 PM
I have a canam 650 max and 800max. Can't say enough good things about them. Talk to Courtenay motor sports they sell can am Yamaha and Honda quads and can tell you all about each of them. Basically if you want to play and performance / power go with can am. If you want to work and just boot around the farm go Honda/Yamaha

Busterpayton54
04-20-2016, 11:34 PM
Funny thing about fuel consumption, displacement has nothing to do with it. It is entirely based on the load demanded from the engine. All of these engines will burn around 4.5lbs of gasoline per hour plus or minus a point or two, per horsepower being consumed.

They means your 30hp 400cc engine will burn exactly the same amount of fuel at a full work load as a 60 hp 800cc engine at a 50% work load.

However there are some ways each can get an advantage. Weaker engine means more throttle opening, which means higher dynamic compression, which means more efficient, so yes the smaller engine can be more efficient.

However then we take shifting into account. The bigger engine will have a broader torque range, which means less shifting. It's able to make the same power st a lower rpm, which means less pumping loss, which means better efficiency.

In the end there is no real difference. When people notice one is better than the other, it's due to
other factors, not engine size.

Its rider habits, it's machine configuration, weight, transmission type.

There is is good points earlier though. Constant shifting on deactivated roads is a pita, so the cvt systems get the point. But cvt is terrible on fuel when compared to the semi-auto/manual. Point for semi auto/manual.

Cvt belts at's are not friends of constant working loads either. They don't like water. Belts fail. Belts need periodic matinence. They are a wearable item.

But it it is nice that you can go faster or slower without any more than more throttle.

The semi-auto/manual is best on fuel, (assuming the rider knows when to shift) far more reliable, essentially matinence free. Most transmissions will out live the rest of the machine.

leannejason
04-21-2016, 12:47 AM
I've been very happy with my Yamaha Grizzly 700. I wouldn't trade it for any other Quad.

ACE
04-21-2016, 04:42 AM
Belts have nothing to do with it. Most ATVs have massive engine braking on purpose. When I got my Kawi I considered disabling it but I've come around.

Confusing statement ...... would you clarify?

BCBRAD
04-21-2016, 06:31 AM
My Can-Am 650 xt gets an average of 23 mpg, a friends 500 Polaris gets 25 mpg. Both are the same age and have ~the same hours, the Polaris has had more issues than the Can Am.

longrifle
04-21-2016, 07:17 AM
Its pretty hard to go wrong with a Honda...My folks bought a 1986 Honda Fourtrax 250 2wd and my siblings and i rode that machine endlessly for years and we weren't easy on it either, all that was done to it was oil changes and a battery replaced. I don't know how many km's it had on it when my dad sold it but it is still being run today.

With that said, I've warmed to Yamaha over the years as well and am considering pulling the trigger on one in the near future...

'rifle

Weatherby Fan
04-21-2016, 08:26 AM
I did a ton of research last year on this topic and I ended up with a Honda Rubicon 500, not because it had the most power or was the cheapest, simply because of dependability and the simple fact very few go in for repairs......ever

I talked to several mechanics in bike shops and they all said the same thing, we just don't see Honda's in for repairs, Yamaha Grizzly is the best selling bike in North America and probably due to the fact theyre good, more power in the same class and usually better incentives and lower prices than Hondas

if I was you I would go with Honda or Yamaha, either one of those and you'll be very happy, if possible get the power steering and independent suspension.

leadpillproductions
04-21-2016, 10:49 AM
I really like my 570 polaris and like my 450 suzuki king quad

respect the outdoors
04-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Hello ,

Honda all the way !!:cool:

respect the outdoors
04-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Hello,

Honda is my preference, ran them for over 25 yrs. only thing is clearance in the winter ,yes you can buy taller tires,then your center of gravity goes up & you always have to shift to a lower gear which is revving the engine to high.
On the other hand Arctic Cat is basically a Honda on steroids but runs on a belt drive system where Honda runs on a direct drive sys. (454 arctic cat awesome machine)

So if you consider all the factors do you want: belt drive,direct drive,bigger tires (center of gravity) geographic slope of terrain travelled,after all you can only do so much with these toys .
Then it's shanks mare from there. lol p.s. hope this doesn't totally confuse you, but these are things to consider.

Busterpayton54
04-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Arctic cat is a turd on roids. Nothing about them compares to Honda or Yamaha. Pico/weatherhead vs deutsche connectors, lawn chair grade steel vs chromoly frames, but and bolt fasteners vs captures/nutsterts, de-engineered vs very well engineered engines. Cat and Polaris both source their engines from other big name manufactures but have them built to their own specifications, as in pressed on camshaft gears vs splined, thrust washers vs Torrington bearings, bushings vs roller bearings.

Cat and poo may serve some people very very well, problem free but in a side by side torture/longevity test, they will not hold their ground with Honda and Yamaha.

kevan
04-21-2016, 04:37 PM
Arctic cat is a turd on roids. Nothing about them compares to Honda or Yamaha. Pico/weatherhead vs deutsche connectors, lawn chair grade steel vs chromoly frames, but and bolt fasteners vs captures/nutsterts, de-engineered vs very well engineered engines. Cat and Polaris both source their engines from other big name manufactures but have them built to their own specifications, as in pressed on camshaft gears vs splined, thrust washers vs Torrington bearings, bushings vs roller bearings.

Cat and poo may serve some people very very well, problem free but in a side by side torture/longevity test, they will not hold their ground with Honda and Yamaha.

As I said before My 400 Cats have served me well without a problem for 10 years so you can as far as I'm concerned can park your opinion where the sun doesn't shine.
I'm happy with what I have and I see no point in slagging other choices..

Busterpayton54
04-21-2016, 05:28 PM
As I said they may serve some people well, however the fact is that are not built as well. Those points I mentioned above are facts, those are real diffences.

hunter1947
04-21-2016, 05:43 PM
Honda all the way..

Gun Dog
04-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Confusing statement ...... would you clarify?Which part? That ATVs have a lot of engine braking or that it can be disabled on Kawasakis? All the ATVs I've seen provide a lot of engine braking which is convenient on steep descents and only needs a little throttle to overcome. When you're decelerating the power flow is reversed -- the wheels are turning the engine. The CVT is set up to push the engine to high RPM and use the engine as a brake. In your car the automatic is set up to let the engine return to idle and maximize fuel economy.

Kawasaki has their "Kawasaki Engine Braking System" to provide maximum engine braking down to almost zero speed. It can be disabled with a little rewiring. Does it make a big difference? Who knows. Not many owners disable it.

tuffcityhunter
04-21-2016, 08:57 PM
I am a fan of a semi automatic clutch being able to choose your gear and release the throttle it will roll. Instead of releasing the throttle and instantly the front end dives and the engine starts to slow you down at a fast rate. Just what i prefer. Dad (60) just bought a suzuki 500 with power steering makes a world of difference for a older guy who has bad shoulders especially after a long day of ridding all locked up and in 4. My self I have a suzuki 400 foot shift have 6000 kms never a problem small and nimble on trails not to mention very fuel effecient. Dads 500 burns considerably more fuel now that he upgraded. Seems to be a tough quad flipped a couple times at higher speeds and rolled countless of times, im not the nicest of person to it when I ride. Has pulled a couple moose out with ease, more than enough power. Many guys around here have suzukis' and no one has had a major issue or atleast in our town. only downside smaller racks than some brands but nothing a welder cant fix
Just a thought

Ubertuber
04-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Which part? That ATVs have a lot of engine braking or that it can be disabled on Kawasakis? All the ATVs I've seen provide a lot of engine braking which is convenient on steep descents and only needs a little throttle to overcome. When you're decelerating the power flow is reversed -- the wheels are turning the engine. The CVT is set up to push the engine to high RPM and use the engine as a brake. In your car the automatic is set up to let the engine return to idle and maximize fuel economy.

That's the aspect I dislike. Having to be on the throttle all the time no matter how steep the hill. Drives me nuts and burns a shit ton of fuel as well.
All the gear driven quads I've owned didn't do this. My current quad does and I don't like it.
I don't care for auto shift vehicles either, so it's probably just me. :)

REMINGTON JIM
04-21-2016, 09:33 PM
POLARIS ! :grin: RJ

okas
04-22-2016, 11:03 AM
1000 can am LTD two seasons 8260 miles tore the stock tires off as junk just oil and boots .. in miles as brought it back from Nevada

badgreenbird
04-22-2016, 08:23 PM
Honda, Honda, Honda... I've driven lots of others and the Hondas hold up the best. In this the 21st century don't even think about chain drive or 2WD. If you want cheap, dependable, and small, look for the old Honda 300 or 350. Even the 'newer' 400 and 420 aren't too big.

okas
04-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Honda, Honda, Honda... I've driven lots of others and the Hondas hold up the best. In this the 21st century don't even think about chain drive or 2WD. If you want cheap, dependable, and small, look for the old Honda 300 or 350. Even the 'newer' 400 and 420 aren't too big.
my 420 honda 16000 klms. simple atv

Xenomorph
04-23-2016, 09:54 AM
1000 can am LTD two seasons 8260 miles tore the stock tires off as junk just oil and boots .. in miles as brought it back from Nevada

My brother has an Outlander 1000cc and my cousin has quite of few of other CanAms

I'm a bit cheap and I probably would've found better ways to spend the money instead of paying 10k+ on a quad. So it happens that I was selling my built 1986 CJ7 and since I got tired of the lowballs and tire kickers, when the guy showed up at my place with a supped up Renegade 800 and two sets of spare tires (Gorilla 27"s) saying yes to a trade was a no brainer.

Yes, I would've liked to be a manual gear, yes, it's a huge quad, yes it's a belt ...but damn it is ever fast. I'm 300lbs and I bet that on a 100yards sprint I'd catch all the bugs in the teeth.

capt hook
04-23-2016, 10:01 AM
the 3 we like , are , HONDA , HONDA , AND HONDA.

ruger#1
04-23-2016, 10:30 AM
I am a fan of a semi automatic clutch being able to choose your gear and release the throttle it will roll. Instead of releasing the throttle and instantly the front end dives and the engine starts to slow you down at a fast rate. Just what i prefer. Dad (60) just bought a suzuki 500 with power steering makes a world of difference for a older guy who has bad shoulders especially after a long day of ridding all locked up and in 4. My self I have a suzuki 400 foot shift have 6000 kms never a problem small and nimble on trails not to mention very fuel effecient. Dads 500 burns considerably more fuel now that he upgraded. Seems to be a tough quad flipped a couple times at higher speeds and rolled countless of times, im not the nicest of person to it when I ride. Has pulled a couple moose out with ease, more than enough power. Many guys around here have suzukis' and no one has had a major issue or atleast in our town. only downside smaller racks than some brands but nothing a welder cant fix
Just a thought Do they still come with independent suspension? That is one of the reasons I like my 300. Can you take it out of 4X4? And are they still oil cooled? Sorry for the questions. My 93 is getting old.

blackford
04-23-2016, 10:33 AM
very happy with my king quad 500. racks are a little small for putting stuff on but you make it work. drives great.