PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in Blackie trip in Squamish?

Sinperama
04-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Title says it all.
Planning for this Sat 23rd.
My first ever BB trip and a brand new area.
Don't even know where to get off from the main road :(

Any suggestion would help.

Anyone wanna join is welcome too, as long as you're responsible.

metalface
04-19-2016, 08:06 AM
I can tell you that Squamish Valley is kind of a bummer right now (or at least is was 2 weekends ago). With the washout at ~33km and the condition of Elaho being very bad there's less room to spread out in an area already pretty busy with every type of outdoor enthusiast.

charlie_horse
04-19-2016, 09:11 AM
Been out twice out of squamish/elaho and haven't seen any bears or sign. Maybe try the mamquam or Indian arm.

sed8ed
04-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Indian Arm is still inaccessible due to the snow line as of this past weekend... tried but sunk one of the quads so deep we had to dig it out before winching... did some exploring around mamquam but not much sign.

Remember: No shooting on the mamquam below the upper powerhouse... its all part of squamish now

ultramafic
04-19-2016, 11:14 AM
I have seen a few bears in the valley floor in Pemberton and heard of a few more around but figure its still a bit early for them to be really out and about just yet however with the forecast temperatures coming up perhaps they will start moving around in full force. A bunch of the gravel roads are snow free at lower elevations here however lots are still snow covered higher up. I am not much of a bear guy myself but do see them regularly in my travels out and about..

mike

Sinperama
04-19-2016, 06:36 PM
Thanks a lot for all your inputs.

Not too encouraging :( but informative.
Maybe, I'll head out to Boston Bar or Harrison.
What do you guys think?

Bigd74
04-19-2016, 07:58 PM
I didn't see any signs on west Harrison this past weekend, but others saw some.

Bear Brawler
04-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Not much sign to look at yet in the Squamish Valley. The valley is loaded with campers on the weekends and like mentioned, not much room to spread out with the washout and Elaho in the current conditions.

b.c hunter 88
04-19-2016, 09:16 PM
I think its early i'm in Powell River and been out almost every evening not a single bear to be found yet. not sure if Squamish is the same been up the Eldrig valley lots not sure but believe it close to Squamish

Good luck

Kevin

sed8ed
04-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Boston bar would probably be a good bet... the nahatlatch was closed due to the annual mud slide but as a bonus, there won't be many hunters (or outdoorsy people) past that point.

Harrison west has the quads.ca monster ride happening this weekend so it'll be busy if the weather is ok and packed if it's good

If you have a 4x4, why not try up the coq? Sowaqua or Carolin exit and head east... the cuts up there get a good amount of sun and should be greening up quite well by now.

Backroads mapbook is your best friend for finding places to start from... if you are local to Nvan or MR I have an old copy you can have plus i'll set you off in the right direction... if you're not, PM me and i'll tell you some decent starting points, I don't want to post them up here.

MichelD
04-20-2016, 03:56 PM
I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon, but I would have to agree that the Squamish River valley is not what it used to be. With the growing population in Squamish and the popularity and availability of 4x4 vehicles and quads, there are people everywhere. I used to spend days up the Ashlu for example and never see a soul.

albravo2
04-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Amen to all the people lamenting the traffic up here. The good old days weren't that long ago.

I've seen a few bears, but all in no-shooting zones.

This area is tough to hunt. By the time you get away from everybody there just isn't a lot of territory with decent sight lines. That might have changed with the logging in the past couple years, but I stopped actively hunting my own backyard almost 3 years ago.

Sinperama
04-20-2016, 09:03 PM
hmmm..
i guess it'd be more productive with spring cleaning around the house this weekend then.
and maybe pound away on my lee press :)

RB2
04-21-2016, 12:36 AM
Was in the Ashlu on Monday. A few people around on a weekday, more than there used to be for sure. Saw some bear sign off the beaten path, but not like it used to be. Wish the shooters would take their crap out with them.

buck nash
04-21-2016, 12:59 AM
I was up around Boston bar area a couple weeks ago and there was still no sign but the roads are clear of snow and things are starting to green up so it should get rolling soon. I'm taking my nephew on his first hunt next weekend otherwise I'd offer to show you some nice spots but if you want to shoot me a pm i can certainly point you in a general direction.

Leaseman
04-21-2016, 09:28 AM
Lots of bear sign up the canyon....take any FSR and you stand a good chance of seeing something!!:wink:

Hunter49
04-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Boston bar would probably be a good bet... the nahatlatch was closed due to the annual mud slide but as a bonus, there won't be many hunters (or outdoorsy people) past that point.

Harrison west has the quads.ca monster ride happening this weekend so it'll be busy if the weather is ok and packed if it's good

If you have a 4x4, why not try up the coq? Sowaqua or Carolin exit and head east... the cuts up there get a good amount of sun and should be greening up quite well by now.

Backroads mapbook is your best friend for finding places to start from... if you are local to Nvan or MR I have an old copy you can have plus i'll set you off in the right direction... if you're not, PM me and i'll tell you some decent starting points, I don't want to post them up here.

I was up Sowaqua last week. One pile of on the road but no sightings. The washout at the 12k mark is a bit sketchy. Alright for ATV but it's a long way down if it gives out while driving over it.