PDA

View Full Version : Tale of two turds

greenhornhunter
04-16-2016, 09:40 PM
So today I ventured out for the 1st time with some hunting pals and took our rifles for a walk to look for a bear. Went up to see some beautiful areas. We were pleasantly surprised with how few people there were in the area we went to. After searching numerous cuts and walking for 4 hours and completely discouraged for lack of sign we came across an area of power lines and finally found two heaping piles of scat. I tell you we were never so happy to see poop. However after putting in a full day of searching the beasts managed to allude us. Got to see some of our magnificent country and got some confirmation that the bears are out there, but just not as active as we thought they might be. Going back out tomorrow though to check out a different area. Here is to a new day!

olympia
04-16-2016, 09:47 PM
What region did this shitty tale of shit taken place in? Lol

warnniklz
04-16-2016, 10:45 PM
Don't get too discouraged, it's only mid April.

gutpile
04-16-2016, 11:43 PM
It's amazing what shit will do for you !

boxhitch
04-17-2016, 03:46 AM
Ahhh yes , the spring turd chase. Testing for age, looking for colour change, guestimating how quantity and circumference relates to sex and trophy size, its ritual.

Sounds like you are into exploring hunting areas , thats a good thing.
If you were serious about bears though , you already know where one is

604Stalker
04-17-2016, 06:15 AM
This story stinks. Hope you find what your looking for soon.

300H&H
04-17-2016, 07:14 AM
Boy was I wrong when I read this....

I thought when I read the title of the thread that you were telling a joke about former PM Jean Creatchen (spelling).

Jean "Hey dare boys...ju know da difference be twin one harf and tree quarters" ?

"It's to turds"

two-feet
04-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Yes if you are serious about bagging a bear stick to the turds. Set up mid afternoon where you get a good line of sight and sit tight till dark.

landphil
04-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Yes if you are serious about bagging a bear stick to the turds. Set up mid afternoon where you get a good line of sight and sit tight till dark.

This. The last hour of light is when you're most likely to see what you are seeking. Unless it's all about the turds, they stay out all hours of the day. :)

caddisguy
04-17-2016, 01:40 PM
What two-feet and landphil said. Set up next to said turds, sit and wait. It will probably happen in the last hour of light. I'd sit there all day if I could. My theory on bears winding you is that at this time of year 1) food is slim pickins, 2) even if the bear has your scent, said bear does not actually know you "are there" versus "were there". Sit in his kitchen long enough, feel free to get your scent all over. Heck do it for a couple days in a row if you can 3) he will lose the game of patience and will come out for a snack. 4) b00m ... time to get to work... bring lots of sharp knives, bright head lamps and energy.

And what warnniklz said... it's still April. Sure there are a few bears out, but bear season doesn't start getting good until a week into May and peaks a week or two after that.

Bears aren't that bright but they sure are tastey. Don't burn yourself out in the early season. Definitely get out there and find good spots with poop like you're doing but don't get too serious until May. If you don't have onw by June, then it's crunch time.

caddisguy
04-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Apparently this tale of two turds inspired me. All of a sudden my living room looks like Cabelas. Time for caddisguy to starting eyeing some special turd spots to hang out. It's about turd hunting time for me too. Will bring a rifle just incase sh*t gets real!! ;-P

I have a hunch we'll see a mainland bear down post tonight or tomorrow that will make me glad I'm all packed and ready.

HarryToolips
04-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Boy was I wrong when I read this....

I thought when I read the title of the thread that you were telling a joke about former PM Jean Creatchen (spelling).

Jean "Hey dare boys...ju know da difference be twin one harf and tree quarters" ?

"It's to turds"
Bwahahahahhaha....to the OP: like others have said, the bear hunting will get really good...I find bear the easiest animal to hunt, the only thing you have to be concerned usually with later in the spring season is it gets really hot out, so again late evening is a good time, or the first couple hours of light..sound like your in the right area, they love powerlines and deactivated roads, or even logging roads that don't see alot of traffic, love the dandelions and clover I've been told..when ya see one, spot-and-stalk works well, make sure ya watch for cubs..when their eating if you take your time you should be able to get real close on a spot-and-stalk to really size em up, lol I find they can't hear ya well over the noise they're making as they eat..

caddisguy
04-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Bwahahahahhaha....to the OP: like others have said, the bear hunting will get really good...I find bear the easiest animal to hunt, the only thing you have to be concerned usually with later in the spring season is it gets really hot out, so again late evening is a good time, or the first couple hours of light..sound like your in the right area, they love powerlines and deactivated roads, or even logging roads that don't see alot of traffic, love the dandelions and clover I've been told..when ya see one, spot-and-stalk works well, make sure ya watch for cubs..when their eating if you take your time you should be able to get real close on a spot-and-stalk to really size em up, lol I find they can't hear ya well over the noise they're making as they eat..

Lol yeah unlike deer and cats, bears are ridiculously noisy. I suspect they are the only animal that is more noisy (on average) than humans moving through brush. I think I have only been surprised by a bear once while fishing near rapids. Otherwise I usually hear them coming a minute ahead of time.... "uhh... either a bear is coming or that is one clumsy moose or drunken hiker". Don't get me wrong... bears CAN be sneaky, so don't rely on hearing alone, even though 99.9% of the time, if you are sitting still, you can rely on hearing alone. You cannot rely on hearing if you are moving around though no matter how slow, as you can easily surprise a bear a few feet away in the brush and that will sure get your heart going!!

Another tip... and anyone who has processed a bear and slept with bear stink all over their clothes.. you will never forget that smell (and no it's not bad at least in the Spring... just kind of sweet and musky... kind of like a hippy who showered a day or three prior, mixed in with some pot and a bunch of grass and dandelions from the lawn mower bag) and from then forward, your nose will be dialed into bears. If you cross paths with where one even walked by 20 minutes ago or if one is a couple hundred years away and the wind is in your favor, you will recognize it. I tested my ability last summer and tracked a bear down by scent alone.

* caddisguy is sharpening knives while eagerly refreshing bear threads... safety first... would hate to miss a post!