PDA

View Full Version : Online license

Moose Guide
04-16-2016, 09:02 PM
When this new online licensing system is finally up and working, what will keep the "less than honest" from making photo copies of their new license? Just think, 2 elk tags or how about an extra moose! As I understand, this is being done with Kootenay lake Rainbow tags now, and when vendors asked the MOE about the problem, they were shocked, this had not occurred to them as a possibility. I see trouble ahead.

reach
04-16-2016, 09:11 PM
We'll find out next year if and when they go ahead with it.

russm86
04-16-2016, 09:19 PM
I too have been wondering how they will do the tags without just leaving it up to the "honor" system...

Moose Guide
04-16-2016, 09:28 PM
The idea had never occurred to me, but apparently fishermen on kootenay lake have been using photo copies of their licenses to take more than 5 large rainbow a year! I think they might need to rethink this idea.

Mulehahn
04-16-2016, 09:31 PM
I, unfortunatley, imagine they will follow the Alberta system. By your license online and tags through the mail. No more books. Have to go back to actually tagging your animal. Of course if mail gets lost then you are either screwed with no tags in time or having to waitvtwice as long as they have any. That of course ignores the whole federal bird permit and how do i provide proof of insurance for my fraser valley permit?

Moving the LEH online is where it should of ended

Ryo
04-16-2016, 09:39 PM
I voiced the same concerns in a thread a few weeks ago, but it faded away. I did some research on other jurisdictions to see how they deal with it, and I found that most online systems are only partially online. You pay thr governing body directly online, and they send tags in the mail. You get the convenience of not driving to Walmart, and the inconvenience of the postal system. If given the choice of what we have now, a fully online system, or a mix, I'd take what we have now. I've yet to hear how an online system, for an activity that is 99% offline, could possibly work without easily copied printouts.

tuffcityhunter
04-16-2016, 10:52 PM
I would much prefer the system we have now. Due to the fact that saltwater fishing licences are all online now and it only lets you print one on the page but with the printer setting guys are printing of 2 or 3. So twice as many halibut and springs every year. It will be a sad day once again if this is the way hunting will turn too. Its a shame. Hopefully you guys are right and a better system comes out.

Piperdown
04-17-2016, 07:00 AM
I would much prefer the system we have now. Due to the fact that saltwater fishing licences are all online now and it only lets you print one on the page but with the printer setting guys are printing of 2 or 3. So twice as many halibut and springs every year. It will be a sad day once again if this is the way hunting will turn too. Its a shame. Hopefully you guys are right and a better system comes out.

BINGO, we have a winner!

300H&H
04-17-2016, 07:03 AM
My understanding is you can get your hunting/fishing # online but you must go in store to buy your hunting lic/tags. Please inform me if this is not the case.

Wentrot
04-17-2016, 07:22 AM
My understanding is you can get your hunting/fishing # online but you must go in store to buy your hunting lic/tags. Please inform me if this is not the case.

Currently yes however they are wanting to move toward an online license purchasing system in the near future

2chodi
04-17-2016, 07:43 AM
I asked the question of government:

"Paper (special paper) tags will still he required. They will be able to be picked up at a vender or fcbc or service bc offices. They will also have the option to have it mailed to them for an additional fee."

Vladimir Poutine
04-17-2016, 09:28 AM
Currently yes however they are wanting to move toward an online license purchasing system in the near future

You are correct. The online system is for LEH. Your license and tags are still bought where you bought them before.

okas
04-17-2016, 10:08 AM
the old metal locking strap was the best ....like on a container trying to explain this tag as many never seen them ..locking band once on no way off

DartNorth
04-17-2016, 10:27 AM
the old metal locking strap was the best ....like on a container trying to explain this tag as many never seen them ..locking band once on no way off

Like this? http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/wildlife/hunting/tags.jpg
I think they still use them in NL.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-17-2016, 10:31 AM
When i lived in AB untill 2006 I liked their system ... WIN card .. go to CDN tire or Wholesale or Mohawk ... any number of vendors ... Buy your licence on a nice HD peice of paper,buy your tags that printed off just like most Ski lift day passes ... vendor then gave you the ski lift pass wires, when you shoot an animal you then Tagged it... by running wire behind rear leg between the knee joint and tendon ..... Most vendors even had these handy little pouches that the licence and tags could all fit into .... in fact same littel pouches that most of us have our booklets and keep our LEHs folded up in.

I cant wait for BC to come out of the dark ages

People are complaining about photocopys etc .... those that are gonna abuse the system already do .... and will continue to do so. We need enforcement of our current laws, therefore we need a larger budget to hire more enforcement officers and supports

russm86
04-17-2016, 07:04 PM
When i lived in AB untill 2006 I liked their system ... WIN card .. go to CDN tire or Wholesale or Mohawk ... any number of vendors ... Buy your licence on a nice HD peice of paper,buy your tags that printed off just like most Ski lift day passes ... vendor then gave you the ski lift pass wires, when you shoot an animal you then Tagged it... by running wire behind rear leg between the knee joint and tendon ..... Most vendors even had these handy little pouches that the licence and tags could all fit into .... in fact same littel pouches that most of us have our booklets and keep our LEHs folded up in.

People are complaining about photocopys etc .... those that are gonna abuse the system already do .... and will continue to do so. We need enforcement of our current laws, therefore we need a larger budget to hire more enforcement officers and supports

Yes, I agree, people do already abuse the system, so why make it even easier so game populations are hurt even more?

jburgundy
04-17-2016, 07:24 PM
It wouldn't be hard to put a QR code on each tag when you print it out. Then if stopped by a CO they could scan all tags and ensure they were purchased by you, and not duplicates.

tater
04-17-2016, 08:29 PM

For years some guys in Northern AB have been spraying Pam on those paper tags before putting them on the hangers. Get home, undo the paper tag, and go refill. I had a conversation with a "hunter" at a gathering a few years back who was laughing about the 15-20 deer a fall him and his two kids shoot. One tag each each covered them all.

Sarita 500
04-17-2016, 09:52 PM
There is No fool proof system...POACHERS will always be poachers!!I have to agree,the tag system in AB is pretty slick.Swipe your card and shoot:p

Gateholio
04-17-2016, 10:26 PM
I hope BC never goes to an antiquated "tag" system where you actually affix a tag to the animal. Completely ridiculous.

Even with the current booklet/species license system, you can abuse it rather easily if you want to. Just most people don't.

wideopenthrottle
04-18-2016, 06:54 AM
they had those in Ontario for a while when I was a kid....the first ones I remember were the sticky thing with the wire like a ski pass then they went tot he plastic custom's type seal but people would soak them in boiling water to soften them and pull them apart and reuse them...not sure what system would be poacher proof?