PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 turkey hunt today - fun but fail

AgSilver
04-16-2016, 07:48 PM
Came home to Kelowna this weekend to try turkey hunting with my dad for the first time (he's a long time hunter but never turkeys).

We've been scrounging up as much info as we could find but haven't had time to scout (I'm an extremely busy self-employed father of a one year old on the coast and he's just finishing up a big reno after moving, so no time).

We got up bright and early and took the trek out to 8-12 today and tried all around Beaverdell based on a tip or two. Not a gobble to be heard despite finding some seemingly prime territory. We were also keeping out eye out for rabbits and hares but came up empty there too. We did see several deer, some fawns, gopher/squirrel-looking things (scientific name!), and two grouse....one of which flew off the side of the highway just a bit past Idabel right into the grill of our 100'ish km/h moving truck. So, in a way, we didn't get totally skunked. If only it were intended and grouse season...

My dad also had the sheer joy of listening to me practice mouth calls in the confinement of the truck cab on the road. Sorry, Dad.

We we stopped at one point to sight in our .22s, just to be sure. Mine was spot on but his was a good half foot left at 25 yards. Must have been bumped in the move or something as I took 3 grouse with his in the fall with head shots (or I'm a really bad but lucky shot, which I'm not eliminating as a possibility).

Tomorrow, we're thinking of trying further south and popping into 8-14. It's probably our only other chance to get out this turkey season, so we're hoping for the best.

If anyone has any turkey tips (preferred landscape, exact coordinates, etc), we'd love to hear them!

AgSilver
04-17-2016, 02:08 PM
We wrapped up early today as I have to go back to the coast this evening.

We were out the door again by 5:30 and on the road to Midway. Based on maps of various types, we thought we'd try Myers Creek Road East by heading in at the west end just past Kettle Valley Golf and work our way back towards Midway. Imagine our disappointment when 50 yards down the road we see a "private drive" sign. Okay, let's try coming through Midway from the East. A couple of kms up, we see the sign indicating that it's a reserve. Had no idea.

Okay, how about further east. I can see some FSRs on the map (Norwegian Creek etc). Hmm. Almost entirely private property and then very wet road conditions. Explored that area a bit but came up empty.

Our early morning was a bust.

Then we figured we would try Myers Creek West. All private land and road ends at a private road again. No luck.

Onward to try something different. Decided to try Ripperto. Lovely land but just a couple of mulies.

Eventually we we decided to head back.

I now believe that Okanagan turkeys are a myth. But I had a good time with my dad, which is the main thing.

HarryToolips
04-17-2016, 02:43 PM
They are in the regions you went to, keep hunting and make your wife give ya time to scout:mrgreen:

Kelsosloth
04-17-2016, 05:17 PM
I was out in beaverdell myself. I'll tell you they are not a myth. 2k before the town a turkey walked across the highway. Some local knowledge led me to a spot accross a bridge saw another turkey on private land. Drove up a dirt road and hiked for few hours across a ridge. Lots of deer and moose and grouse. Not one gobble. These birds are really smart.

last day of hunting tomorrow. Will head out to Christina lake up either Santa rosa or Stewart creek. Hopefully some hunt-able land over there.

.300WSMImpact!
04-17-2016, 07:04 PM
very few birds in region 8, go east and south as close as you can get to the USA boarder, best chance you will have, good luck

Mike0834
04-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Glad you had a good time anyways. I'm going to head up to 8-1 and do a little poking around next weekend. I don't expect to get much more than just some exercise and a little training for this years hiking season, but looking forward to it all the same.

Buck
04-17-2016, 11:14 PM
They are hard to find i got lucky on mine got out of the truck to have a stretch and i hear gobble gobble.Rock creek area.

AgSilver
04-18-2016, 05:12 PM
They are in the regions you went to, keep hunting and make your wife give ya time to scout:mrgreen:

Well, I guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing, right? Gotta get out there and put the time and legwork in to be successful (most of the time).

I was out in beaverdell myself. I'll tell you they are not a myth. 2k before the town a turkey walked across the highway. Some local knowledge led me to a spot accross a bridge saw another turkey on private land. Drove up a dirt road and hiked for few hours across a ridge. Lots of deer and moose and grouse. Not one gobble. These birds are really smart.

last day of hunting tomorrow. Will head out to Christina lake up either Santa rosa or Stewart creek. Hopefully some hunt-able land over there.

How did the follow up go?

very few birds in region 8, go east and south as close as you can get to the USA boarder, best chance you will have, good luck

Tried midway but it's nearly all private land and have just discovered the FrontCounter BC/Google Earth plugin. Need to try further east, I think.

Glad you had a good time anyways. I'm going to head up to 8-1 and do a little poking around next weekend. I don't expect to get much more than just some exercise and a little training for this years hiking season, but looking forward to it all the same.

Let me know how it goes! I'm very interested in this for some reason. I really like turkey.

They are hard to find i got lucky on mine got out of the truck to have a stretch and i hear gobble gobble.Rock creek area.

I'm jealous! We stopped the truck lots. Probably should have put boots to the ground more, but we had a pretty limited time frame to work in.

How big are the birds that you guys have got so far?

Kelsosloth
04-18-2016, 09:37 PM
ChristIna lake is promising. A Tom was in a full sprint down the road when I was leaving.