PDA

View Full Version : What kind of trekking poles are you using?

SR80
04-15-2016, 07:13 AM
The twist lock on my leki pole let go on me the other weekend, leki won't get back to me ask their website states this should be covered by warranty, but whatever. What are you guys using for trekking poles?

BgBlkDg
04-15-2016, 07:26 AM
My first sectional poles were Komperdell C3s, with the twist locks. I was/am meticulous about my gear, due to extensive experience alone living in BC's most remote regions.

I barely escaped death from falling into Lynn Creek at spring spate when one of them suddenly collapsed and I changed to Black Diamond cork whatevers, their top model. I have used these constantly for 4-5 years, never an issue and they are still in good shape, they have the locks that fold over the shafts.

Komperdell also now has these locks and I intend to exchange mine when I next get into town in Vancity.

604ksmith
04-15-2016, 07:36 AM
Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z's. They're about $150 from MEC and super light. No complaints after two seasons, their locking system seems to be fairly simple and rugged. However, while these are collapsible, they're not adjustable in height so they aren't the best for using with tarps.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5042-701/black-diamond-distance-carbon-z-poles-unisex/

Trekker
04-15-2016, 08:21 AM
Ive been using the same black diamond trail ergo's for 6 years without failure. Aluminum pole with the flicklock system is solid and only a handful of grams heavier than the carbons.

Ohwildwon
04-15-2016, 08:21 AM
Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z's. They're about $150 from MEC and super light. No complaints after two seasons, their locking system seems to be fairly simple and rugged. However, while these are collapsible, they're not adjustable in height so they aren't the best for using with tarps.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5042-701/black-diamond-distance-carbon-z-poles-unisex/

This^^^^

you can save $30 if you buy them on eBay...

nicktrehearne
04-15-2016, 08:25 AM
I've been using the same set of Komperdell Carbon/Titanium Trail Runner poles for 10+ years. They are a two section twist lock with the top being titanium and the bottom, carbon.

BRvalley
04-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Ive been using the same black diamond trail ergo's for 6 years without failure. Aluminum pole with the flicklock system is solid and only a handful of grams heavier than the carbons.

x2 not sure what model mine are anymore, but they have the flick lock clamps on them, aluminum, not the lightest but still a reasonable weight and quite sturdy

Arctic Lake
04-15-2016, 10:06 AM
I have the Black Diamond aluminium flip lock / clamp locking system poles that are oval shaped . Bought them 3years ago, they work great and the oval design I think gives better strength.
Arctic Lake

smallfry14
04-15-2016, 10:30 AM
I've got the Leki Micro Vario. It's been a good pole for me but considering that it was given to me because its' twin was snapped in half, I don't think I'd buy it new..

decker9
04-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Picked up a pair of BD distance FLZ's last year, they fold up nice and short. I sure like the folding pole vs the telescoping ones.

Stresd
04-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Black Diamond Compacts. Poles as well as Flip locks have been excellent. Enough miles on them that I had to change the carbides, as originals were rounding off.

RiverOtter
04-15-2016, 01:19 PM
I guess I cheaped out and got lucky, Outbound Assent 2's, and there coming up on their 5th season. Have bent one, but bent it back and carried on. $22 at Surplus Herbies, so I bought a second pair as back up.

Have considered BD, Leki and Komperdell, but can't see them being 4-6 times better, based on price.......

.264winmag
04-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Komperdell Wild Rambler 3 peice aluminum telescopic, take a grizz down with em if need be...

SR80
04-16-2016, 06:55 AM
cool guys, thanks. Definitely a few options too look at here. I do like aluminum over carbon, I like extra sturdiness the aluminum provides over a thin wobbly carbon fiber pole. Weight doesn't really matter to me as they'll mostly be in my hands anyways.

.264winmag
04-16-2016, 07:10 AM
I like the aluminum for making noise I those thick areas where one might surprise a bruin, just smack together and sing my best rendition of opera. Scares the entire country...

Stresd
04-16-2016, 07:26 AM
cool guys, thanks. Definitely a few options too look at here. I do like aluminum over carbon, I like extra sturdiness the aluminum provides over a thin wobbly carbon fiber pole. Weight doesn't really matter to me as they'll mostly be in my hands anyways.

Carbon fiber poles are susceptible to bruising from banging against the rocks. Then much as a carbon fibre fishing rod after banging against the boat they have been known to break. Weight makes a huge difference, as when packing in, I am counting ounces. Every time you step forward you are lifting your pole. Lifting any extra weight will add up over the miles. Also quite often if I need my hands for climbng etc, my poles are carried on my pack. Light but strong & durable, and the Black Diamonds for me, meet that criteria.

Buck
04-16-2016, 07:28 AM
Black Diamond Alpine carbon cork very sturdy.Good for setting up tarps.http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en_CA/trekking-poles/alpine-carbon-cork-trekking-pole-BD1121850000ALL1.html#start=3
I hear that these Helinox causeway have a mechanical locking mechanism instead of locking with friction probably better going to try them next.http://www.helinox.com/causeway-trekking-poles.php

RiverRunner
04-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Black Diamond z-poles... aluminum

04-16-2016, 03:38 PM
The twist lock on my leki pole let go on me the other weekend, leki won't get back to me ask their website states this should be covered by warranty, but whatever. What are you guys using for trekking poles?

Really enjoyed my Leki's, but due to the same concerns you are having getting them to respond, l switched to Black Diamonds, the titanium units l had from Leki were good, but no matter how good the product, if the after sales service is sh!tty, they aren't worth owning. The BD's while heavier have more strength l believe then my old set. My usage would probably be considered moderate or better as l walk my dogs 4-5 km a day well over 300 days a year and very little of that mileage is on roads.......can't count the times my poles made the difference of staying vertical versus a lip stand.

BgBlkDg
04-16-2016, 04:14 PM
I just returned from my daily, often twice, recovery walk using my BDs, partially aluminum and very satisfactory under major load.

Anyone ever try the MSR Ti poles?

SR80
04-17-2016, 07:45 AM
I like the aluminum for making noise I those thick areas where one might surprise a bruin, just smack together and sing my best rendition of opera. Scares the entire country...
yep aluminum is great for that.

SR80
04-17-2016, 07:46 AM
I think im going to go with the black diamond FLZ aluminums, with cork handles.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-17-2016, 11:51 AM
I have a set of Komperdells can't remember the model but they have lasted me 10 years. They have seen better days but I sure can't complain.
I might also be in the market for a new set.

RiverOtter
04-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Not something I'm willing to order online, sight unseen, but MEC opens in K-Town in a week, so I may have to see what all the $100+ trekking pole hype is all about........

Then order elsewhere......:lol:

BCbillies
04-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Have used the Black Diamond Contour Eliptical poles for years. For $130 or so I rode them hard and bashed them on rocks and they're still holding up (just replaced the tips). Recently bought some Cascade Mountain Tech poles from Costco for $45 and so far I like them. Cork handles, flip locks, carbon, round shaft and lighter than the BD's . . . will see how they perform on a two week sheep hunt.

SR80
04-18-2016, 06:29 AM
Have used the Black Diamond Contour Eliptical poles for years. For $130 or so I rode them hard and bashed them on rocks and they're still holding up (just replaced the tips). Recently bought some Cascade Mountain Tech poles from Costco for $45 and so far I like them. Cork handles, flip locks, carbon, round shaft and lighter than the BD's . . . will see how they perform on a two week sheep hunt.

Maybe I should check those out first. If there is any left that is. Spending 150 on a set of poles seems ridiculous for sure.

I am having second thoughts about the FLZ poles, being that I wouldn't be able to shorten them down to approx two feet, for some tarp configurations.

Stresd
04-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Here's a great review site with explanations on what to look for in and comparisions of a good hiking pole.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Trekking-Poles-Reviews

BgBlkDg
04-18-2016, 07:36 AM
The BD Alpine Carbon Cork is the pole I have and IS all "carbon" with zero issues to date. I am used to them and like them, but, my older Komperdell C3s, if the crappy twist locks were changed would be about as good.

There seem to be lots of options on the market and maybe renting a few different pairs might assist in one's final choice?

boxhitch
04-18-2016, 08:08 AM
Usually alder, willow in a pinch
adjustable , convertible , magically appears when needed and disappears when not.

RiverOtter
04-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Usually alder, willow in a pinch
adjustable , convertible , magically appears when needed and disappears when not.
TFF.......:D

AND, it's a renewable resource.

Stresd
04-18-2016, 01:06 PM
^^^
And NOT readily available when you are in the Alpine.

boxhitch
04-18-2016, 06:38 PM
But just a short walk away

Rackmastr
04-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Black Diamond Carbon Corks....I love the BD's and their service has been amazing whenever I've dealt with them.

knothead
04-18-2016, 07:25 PM
^^^^
Just bought these and will try them out this weekend.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-08-2016, 11:13 AM
Just snapped one of my Komperdells this AM. Lots of hard miles on them in the past decade so they certainly don't owe me anything. I guess I'm in the market for a new pair.

Moose63
05-08-2016, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the tip. Bought a pair and gonna try them out. seem good....

SR80
05-09-2016, 06:36 AM
I ended up going with black diamond trail pro, it was the only pole that I could find that really felt I could "trust" the locking mechanism. All the plastic flip locks on the poles I tried seemed to slip when I put any weight on the pole. They are foam gripped handles, I wished they were cork though.

264mag
12-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Can anyone suggest where to find Leki poles in B.C.?

thanks
Chuck

twoSevenO
12-30-2017, 10:25 PM
Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork - $115 at Mec.

The cork handles are very nice. Highly recommend.

The locking mechanism is pretty good, but i had to tighten it a bit more myself after a slip had me putting all my weight on one pole and it collapsed under the weight.

Pretty stable too at max length. I'm a tall guy so on the downhills they are at max height. Have had them bent pretty good under load, but so far no damage.

Seth
12-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Costco sells a $39 set of carbon fiber cam lock poles that come highly recommended by seasoned mountain hunters. I was sceptical at first but after reading positive review after positive review on Rokslide forum and other sites I bought a pair, tried them out and then took them sheep hunting. No complaints. Stiff, sturdy, cam locks stay tight, cork handles and they come with multiple baskets. Just my $0.02.

huntcoop
12-30-2017, 11:37 PM
I'll second the above ^^^

Salix
12-31-2017, 12:01 AM
Got the Costco trekking poles last summer and used them a few times, goat hunt and elk hunt. For the price they are hard to beat.

SR80
12-31-2017, 09:12 AM
I ended up going with black diamond trail pro, it was the only pole that I could find that really felt I could "trust" the locking mechanism. All the plastic flip locks on the poles I tried seemed to slip when I put any weight on the pole. They are foam gripped handles, I wished they were cork though.

might as well give an update about the poles. They didnt last very long, one season actually. Snapped one in half while packing out my 2016 mule deer, it was a heavy load, I thought they would hold up better than they did, specially for the price.

twoSevenO
01-01-2018, 12:07 AM
might as well give an update about the poles. They didnt last very long, one season actually. Snapped one in half while packing out my 2016 mule deer, it was a heavy load, I thought they would hold up better than they did, specially for the price.

Did they bend too far and then just "kink" like a cold garden hose? Or did they somehow actually "snap"?

I had mine bent pretty good a few times, but stayed intact so far.

Citori54
01-01-2018, 09:55 AM

I purchased Black Diamond Trail Pro poles for the locking mechanism and the shock absorbers. I have had them a year with no issues. I hike our local mountain 3-4 times a week with them and trained all summer for a back pack hunt. I used them on the hunt and carried a 60 pound pack in steep country and they were great. My wife has the one's from Costco and they work fine for hiking but they make a clicking noise which would not be good for hunting. I wonder if Black Diamond would replace them if you complained.

SR80
01-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Did they bend too far and then just "kink" like a cold garden hose? Or did they somehow actually "snap"?

I had mine bent pretty good a few times, but stayed intact so far.

I lost my footing ( ground was snow covered ) and put it out to save myself from falling over and it just snapped in half and was in two pieces underneath me once i was able to get my pack off and get to my feet. I was like a turtle on my back, I probably should of done two seperate loads that day :grin:

Weatherby Fan
01-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Black Diamond Carbon Corks....I love the BD's and their service has been amazing whenever I've dealt with them.

I had bought a set of both the Aluminum and CF Black Diamond poles with cork handles and much preferred the CF set, so that is what I intended to take on my Sheep hunt last year........well in my own brilliance I forgot them at home so stopped at Canadian tire in PG and picked up a set of Woods CF poles and they worked awesome, I can't imagine not having poles while hiking.

Frank grimes
01-01-2018, 10:33 AM
I just got my fist pair of poles for Xmas. They are the Costco ones, they seem well made. Can't wait to try them out snowshoeing, then using them to pack out a monster black bear this spring.