PDA

View Full Version : Fly in Hunts and 6 hour wait time

MattW
04-11-2016, 10:08 PM
So I know that when a hunter takes a non'scheduled flight they must wait 6 hours before hunting. My question is does that mean you sit tight at the landing site for 6 hours and wait before doing any type of hunting activity? Can you start hiking up toward a spike camp or further destination with the understanding that if you bump in to an animal before 6 hours are up you can't harvest it? For those that have done the fly-in thing, what has been your practice? Thanks in advance.

tangozulu
04-11-2016, 10:10 PM
Im thinking it means shooting.

walks with deer
04-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I would second that.

It is intended to slow down Arial spotting.

monasheemountainman
04-11-2016, 10:23 PM
I would think hiking toward where you are hunting would be included. I think you have to stay put, but I'm sure someone who is in the know will chime in

warnniklz
04-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Hiking with a rifle and hunting are different... are they not?

I call it 6 hours of gearing up and getting closer to the hunting area.

Sharpish
04-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Just don't kill anything within 6 hours. The idea is that you can't fly around till you see animals, land on a lake a half mile away, walk over and shoot it. 6 hours gives the animals lots of time to move around. I'm guessing this is why helicopters are banned, since they can land almost anywhere and get you within a click of any animal you spot.

If you see something in the air or from the lakeshore, hike after it. Don't pull the trigger for 6 hours.

Chopper
04-11-2016, 11:59 PM
Agree with all the guys that say dont shoot anything for 6 hours ... Hiking to a camping spot wih a rifle is not hunting. Its hiking to a camping spot with a rifle

Ltbullken
04-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Just don't kill anything within 6 hours. The idea is that you can't fly around till you see animals, land on a lake a half mile away, walk over and shoot it. 6 hours gives the animals lots of time to move around. I'm guessing this is why helicopters are banned, since they can land almost anywhere and get you within a click of any animal you spot.

If you see something in the air or from the lakeshore, hike after it. Don't pull the trigger for 6 hours.

"Hike after it"? As in pursue it? Read the definition of hunting in the regs...

BEAVERBRUCE
04-12-2016, 08:35 AM
go for a walk take gun for bear protection don't hunt

MattW
04-12-2016, 10:06 AM
It seems like this is a bit open to interpretation. I wonder if it's one of those things where it would depend on who's enforcing the rule? I guess it would be unusual for anyone to be monitoring you one way or the other.

srupp
04-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Hmmm it would be extremely difficult to be found in the mountains away from the lake..or landing strip that you were dropped off at while in the possession of a firearm .inside that time line. That in fact constitutes hunting.
What you choose to do is up to you..doesnt change the strict definition of " hunting"
The combination of being in the field, while armed basically with your eyes open within the time frame..you cant unsee what happens and you did see..or could see..hunting...

Cheers
Steven

boxhitch
04-12-2016, 11:17 AM
It seems like this is a bit open to interpretation. I wonder if it's one of those things where it would depend on who's enforcing the ruleexactly why the hunting definition is such a large lasso , to be used as seen fit for the circumstances. Even the intent of some regs is left vague , to be implied as needed.

Wonder if the no-fly reg will be altered to include drone flights ?

wideopenthrottle
04-12-2016, 11:31 AM
exactly why the hunting definition is such a large lasso , to be used as seen fit for the circumstances. Even the intent of some regs is left vague , to be implied as needed.

regs ..pg 15 item 27

Sharpish
04-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Hmmm it would be extremely difficult to be found in the mountains away from the lake..or landing strip that you were dropped off at while in the possession of a firearm .inside that time line. That in fact constitutes hunting.
What you choose to do is up to you..doesnt change the strict definition of " hunting"
The combination of being in the field, while armed basically with your eyes open within the time frame..you cant unsee what happens and you did see..or could see..hunting...

Cheers
Steven

If you are dropped off for a backpack sheep hunt, you are supposed to hunker down and sit around by the lake for 6 hours? No, you would sling your giant pack onto your back and start hiking up to your spike tent location. Especially if the weather is good, you want to get into your camp and get setup before the rain and wind start coming sideways or darkness sets in.

I myself load my rifle the minute everything is off the plane. I'm not scared of bears, but getting mauled with an unloaded rifle sitting next to you might be worse for your mental health in the coming years than the suture marks.

In that case, you would sure 'look' like you were hunting. Same thing with putting down the lake in your canoe to a camp spot with all your gear. No reason to have a loaded rifle in that case but you would probably be wearing your camo and glassing the hills out of interest. Sure looks like you are 'hunting'

steel_ram
04-12-2016, 11:39 AM
The synopsis rag you pick up where you buy your licenses is just a summary of the regs. A CO can always nail you with something buried in the legalese of the "big book".

Wasn't there a quote from a CO to the effect that if hunter didn't spend so much time trying to figure ways around the regulations it would put them out of a job.

I would think if your dropped off and started hiking to your planned destination, you would be no more hunting than the guy hikes into his favourite hunting spot 2 hrs before dawn.

MattW
04-12-2016, 11:55 AM
exactly why the hunting definition is such a large lasso , to be used as seen fit for the circumstances. Even the intent of some regs is left vague , to be implied as needed.

I think I saw that they already lumped drones with helicopters and banned them entirely.

Andrewh
04-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Cheers
Steven

So with this statement I was hunting out of season when I got dropped off at a lake in July and left the lake to my destination...

Hiking and hunting are not the same, one means in pursuit of a destination and the other is pursuit of an animal

MattW

Cheers
Steven
It would usually be very unlikely for anyone to see you once you left the lake. But what if your hunt started on a lake with an outfitters camp and they watch you set off straight away and watch your progress up the mountain through the spotter? Would they call you in? Would you be legal? Just stuff I've been wondering about as I think about fly in hunting.

wideopenthrottle
I think I saw that they already lumped drones with helicopters and banned them entirely.

they got their own line entry in the regs now..in red ink and everrrry thing..pg 15 #27

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1416/docs/Provincial_2014.pdf

MattW
04-12-2016, 12:01 PM
So with this statement I was hunting out of season when I got dropped off at a lake in July and left the lake to my destination...

Hiking and hunting are not the same, one means in pursuit of a destination and the other is pursuit of an animal
Good point!

two-feet
04-12-2016, 12:17 PM
I dont think we are as alone in the mountains as we think at times. It can be pretty busy out there, relatively. Think of how many times you have seen other hunters when they never saw you?

Ltbullken
04-12-2016, 12:59 PM

Drone flights - already banned.

Ferenc
04-12-2016, 01:05 PM
You would think the words ... Pursue... Spot.. Stalk... Shoot.. All come into play for the 6hr rule.. In my opinion as long as your not doing the mentioned you are good to go .

04-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Seems grey to me.... some people think giving gas money to a houndsman that takes you cat hunting could be seen as paying an unliscensed guide.
This is they type of question that will never get answered here......

if it was me, id probably walk.... but i can see how this is a open to inturpretation question

monasheemountainman
04-12-2016, 01:33 PM
definitely grey...Im not saying its right or makes any sense but it seems to me that you are supposed to just chill and wait it out, but then again what about hiking in a couple days before sheep season and getting on rams, and waiting for opening morning to kill them??? whats the fcuckin difference?

srupp
04-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Hmm difference Ben is that your hiking..no aircraft involved..

So you get dropped off and immediatly head further afield..
How many times have animals just appeared..first spotted..no difference..you are walking..looking around..safety..or spotting difference is in your mind..certainly cant be proven to C.O...your waking..with weapons...dont personally think you woild win that one..may just be your word what your motive was versus. .pilots log ..and guides and clients sworn statement. .or C.O.
you can not prove you were not hunting they can prove you were moving up the mountain..valley..etc with weapons during that 6 hr prohibition..

Good luck
Steven

BEAVERBRUCE
04-12-2016, 02:42 PM
went to court as a witness hunter got of.
go for a walk take gun for bear protection don't hunt

srupp
04-12-2016, 02:45 PM
You would think the words ... Pursue... Spot.. Stalk... Shoot.. All come into play for the 6hr rule.. In my opinion as long as your not doing the mentioned you are good to go .

Pursue...to look for..go after..ie walking through their habitat...

We often hunt..without seeing game. .walking towards game seen or not..pursue..
Walking while armed....stalking..
Hu ting more often does not I clude the shooting..
Cheers

butcher
04-12-2016, 02:58 PM
I for one will not sit beside a lake for six hours when I can be six hours closer to my destination.

monasheemountainman
04-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Hmm difference Ben is that your hiking..no aircraft involved..

So you get dropped off and immediatly head further afield..
How many times have animals just appeared..first spotted..no difference..you are walking..looking around..safety..or spotting difference is in your mind..certainly cant be proven to C.O...your waking..with weapons...dont personally think you woild win that one..may just be your word what your motive was versus. .pilots log ..and guides and clients sworn statement. .or C.O.
you can not prove you were not hunting they can prove you were moving up the mountain..valley..etc with weapons during that 6 hr prohibition..

Good luck
Steven

For sure, I meant...if you are packing a gun and pursing sheep before the season...then why isn't that hunting?

RiverOtter
04-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Give me a break.....

So you're sitting on your thumb for 6 hours, lakeside, after hopping off the beaver and a moose/elk/bear walks out of the bushes nearby. You're sitting there with your rifle, ammo and bins, BINGO, "YOUR LAYING IN WAIT"......aka....HUNTING...:roll:

Enjoying the srupp "ethics" speach.

RiverOtter
04-12-2016, 03:35 PM
Should add, when the plane is taxiing away, I'm bolting on my pack and heading for spike camp. If someone wants to call that actively hunting and write a citation, then I guess I got a court date.......

srupp
04-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Give me a break.....

So you're sitting on your thumb for 6 hours, lakeside, after hopping off the beaver and a moose/elk/bear walks out of the bushes nearby. You're sitting there with your rifle, ammo and bins, BINGO, "YOUR LAYING IN WAIT"......aka....HUNTING...:roll:

Enjoying the srupp "ethics" speach.

Hmmm your entitled to your opinion..and I will try and not rip Iinto you and your opinion.. thats my view on it..you do it your way..
Kinda Interesting beaverbruce was requested to give evidence to this exact scenario..aquitted? On that ocasion...
My view ethics preaching..and yours? Gospel..? ..

Cheers
Steven

375shooter
04-12-2016, 03:54 PM
Hundreds, or thousands of hunters every year have been dropped off by plane at various locations in BC. I wonder how many of them have sat around doing nothing for 6 hours? My guess is very few of them have.

IMO like others have said, hiking to a spike camp should not be deemed as hunting. If you immediately headed out to locate an animal that you had spotted from the air on the way in, would constitute hunting.

Skull Hunter
04-12-2016, 03:56 PM
While the technicality of the law allows you to be charged the real world scenario is that most wont be. If the CO's have their eye on you from past transgressions, then they might try to lay some charges. If you're the average guy trying to do the right thing I don't think it would be an issue at all.

There are a lot of what if that you could write up. What about the guys who fly into a sheep lake on July 30th or 31st to get a head start on their hike into the alpine, are they hunting out of season in addition to hunting within 6 hours of a flight?

Once again, I think most CO's use some reasonable discretion. If you don't have a past history with them, and if you're not trying to do anything shady it's not going to be a problem, but I guess there is always a chance.

warnniklz
04-12-2016, 04:36 PM
WAIT!! What if I get dropped at the lake... hunker down on the beach... then start glassing critters from the beach... is that hunting within 6 hours?

Chopper
04-12-2016, 04:41 PM
don't shoot anything for 6 hours , and have some respect for the game. If it feels like what you are doing is bending the rules... you probably shouldn't do it.

Get dropped off , hike to your camp , set it up , and go hunting at the appropriate time ... seems pretty simple to me

If your a good enough hunter , you shouldn't need to bend or break rules to get an edge

RiverOtter
04-12-2016, 04:46 PM
Hmmm your entitled to your opinion..and I will try and not rip Iinto you and your opinion.. thats my view on it..you do it your way..
Kinda Interesting beaverbruce was requested to give evidence to this exact scenario..aquitted? On that ocasion...
My view ethics preaching..and yours? Gospel..? ..

Cheers
Steven
hunt & hunting - includes shooting at,
attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, fol-
lowing after or on the trail of, stalking, or lying
in wait for wildlife or attempting to do any of
those things, whether or not the wildlife is then
or subsequently wounded, killed or captured:
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b)while in possession of a firearm or other
weapon.

I dunno Steve, seems to me, if your getting dropped off in prime game territory, you've already broken the law if a moose walks out within shooting range and inide the 6 hour "No Hunting" window.

How silly do you wanna get with reg interpretation......

RiverOtter
04-12-2016, 04:49 PM
I mean shit, critters gotta drink, might as well add "Hunting over Bait" to the list of violations, seeing how you're hunkered down near a large body of water.

elknut
04-12-2016, 05:10 PM
The 6 hour rule has been broken by guide outfitters and I was witness to it..Flew out of Dease Lake and landed on a high lake..Our plane departed and A guide plane flew in about 30 mins after us...They went to the far end of the lake and got out of the plane..3 people..2 men 1 woman ....They looked back at our end then started hiking up the mtn ...They were after sheep on the far side of the lake to us...We never saw the sheep when we flew in but they must have known they were there ...cause they started up after them within 10 mins of landing...To make a long story short they killed a ram and all came back down to the plane within 2 hours..2 people got in the plane and the asistant guide shouldered the pack and headed down to the big main lake camp..The lakes small size and elevation prevented them from taking all three people and the sheep ...as the plane would have not enough distance to safely exit..When we got picked up we had to hike down to the main lake for pickup as even the otter couldn't get off of the 1/4 mile lake..The guide outfitter had a small Cessna ...Upon arrival in Dease after our hunt we talked to the outfitter about if he got any sheep..He said yes a woman client had killed a 38 in ram...Kept the secret for years ...We left right after we were dropped of and proceeded to hike in on our hunt but new about the 6 hour rule..We never intended to hunt where we were dropped off cause we had info on sheep further in about 4 miles ...Hiked up to the kill site just before our hike down the mtn and bumped into a grizzly ...Saw 4 other rams just short and also too young..The outfitters do this more than one thinks or can prove ....so would I worry about hiking in after being dropped off ..NO....

Avalanche123
04-12-2016, 06:05 PM
Fly into lake."X" hour horse ride, ....I see no issue with riding to your camp, or walking or paddling along the lake you were dropped off. It happens regularly.

We all know full well when we are actively pursuing game. You see your critter of choice within 6 hours while you are doing something else, IMHO you need to wait. 6 hours and 1 sec later...feel free to fire... Until then you wait....

albravo2
04-12-2016, 06:06 PM
If it feels like what you are doing is bending the rules... you probably shouldn't do it.

I think ole Chopper hit it on the head. Do what feels right. I can walk in bear country with a gun and without a bear tag and KNOW I'm not breaking any laws. I don't really care if an outfitter nearby feels different and I'd be happy to explain myself to a CO if necessary.

99% of my CO interactions have been very pleasant. They don't strike me as a group of people that go about harassing hunters with trumped up charges.

Keep your intentions pure and you'll be fine. So much fun to think about the fly in hunts. I'm really hoping to put the pieces in place for some fly-in hunting this fall.

srupp
04-12-2016, 06:14 PM
Hmmm how petty can the CO, S get?

On a real remote lake c, o, s landed in a helicopter..checked everythi ng..including a minute inspection at the lakeshore..when asked they said they were looking for foodstuffs. ." GRAINS OF RICE..MACARONI NOODLES..from washing pots. .pretty hard assed..petty.
Its grey? Area..motive is what you know you are doing..and why..proving it may be costly..
I asked Tim he disagrees with my position..however agrees we have not done this...
One must ask how do I prove my intent if acused of breaking this law ? It could get costly...
Again moving around while armed could be seen as illegal..
As I suspected if done by guide outfitters..different point of view ?
Pretty convinced we have tried to heed these rules...againTim feels hiking to a different isnt hunting..but we havnt done this ....yet..lol
Steven

Avalanche123
04-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Hmmm how petty can the CO, S get?

As I suspected if done by guide outfitters..different point of view ?

Steven

In my experience the CO's treat the GO's with an even higher level of scrutiny. In my 10 yrs of guiding, the GO made it crystal clear that there was no hunting until 6 hours passed. Way too much at stake. Just my experience on IMHO on the topic.

BCbillies
04-12-2016, 06:32 PM
There are a lot of what if that you could write up. What about the guys who fly into a sheep lake on July 30th or 31st to get a head start on their hike into the alpine, are they hunting out of season in addition to hunting within 6 hours of a flight?

July 29th for some of us as we've got a ways to hike and no time for 6 hours of downtime! ;) Don't see that hiking in from A to B is hunting as we don't know where the sheep are and are not at this time stalking, chasing, pursuing with the intent to capture. That will come a few days later. Need to consider the intent of the law.

The 6 hour rule has been broken by guide outfitters and I was witness to it..Flew out of Dease Lake and landed on a high lake..Our plane departed and A guide plane flew in about 30 mins after us...They went to the far end of the lake and got out of the plane..3 people..2 men 1 woman ....They looked back at our end then started hiking up the mtn ...They were after sheep on the far side of the lake to us...We never saw the sheep when we flew in but they must have known they were there ...cause they started up after them within 10 mins of landing...To make a long story short they killed a ram and all came back down to the plane within 2 hours..2 people got in the plane and the asistant guide shouldered the pack and headed down to the big main lake camp..The lakes small size and elevation prevented them from taking all three people and the sheep ...as the plane would have not enough distance to safely exit..When we got picked up we had to hike down to the main lake for pickup as even the otter couldn't get off of the 1/4 mile lake..The guide outfitter had a small Cessna ...Upon arrival in Dease after our hunt we talked to the outfitter about if he got any sheep..He said yes a woman client had killed a 38 in ram...Kept the secret for years ...We left right after we were dropped of and proceeded to hike in on our hunt but new about the 6 hour rule..We never intended to hunt where we were dropped off cause we had info on sheep further in about 4 miles ...Hiked up to the kill site just before our hike down the mtn and bumped into a grizzly ...Saw 4 other rams just short and also too young..The outfitters do this more than one thinks or can prove ....so would I worry about hiking in after being dropped off ..NO....

Sounds like you had sufficient evidence to get the outfitter spanked . . . although anything can happen in court!

albravo2
04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
One must ask how do I prove my intent if acused of breaking this law ? It could get costly...

I like to think our legal system is founded on the principle of 'innocent until proven guilty'.

Unless you're standing over a dead animal that has one or two of your bullets in it, it is pretty hard to prove you were hunting that animal.

Like you say, to each their own. I just know I wouldn't sit still with my eyes closed and gun in the case for 6 hours.

KodiakHntr
04-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Again moving around while armed could be seen as illegal..

Steven

You are WAY overthinking this. I always have a rifle with me in the bush. Always. And it's loaded if I not in/on a vehicle.
So you are saying that when I'm out at work, and slip that S&W 629 into the holster on my hip, a COmis going to automatically assume I'm hunting elk out of season, WITH A HANDGUN, if there happens to be a calf elk I stop to look at while it's hiding in the grass?

Any time I'm in the field, I have a rifle. The only way you get better at shooting, is by popping primers. I would LOVE to have a CO try to pin an illegal hunting charge on me while I'm shooting rocks waaaay out there in July.

Any of you guys that have the "sit and wait for six hours" mentality, better not be leaving your houses in a pickup any sooner than one hour before sunrise, because you have the intent of killing an animal that day.

There is absolutely nothing illegal about being in possession of a loaded rifle any day of the year, at any TIME of day, in BC in the bush. Period.

Now if if you are hiking in, at hour five you spot a ram at 800 yards, drop your gear and sneak 400 yards closer over the next hour, THAT would be grey area, and would be open for interpretation by a CO. But if you snuck up to 400 yards, and waited a half hour, until your 6 hours were up, that would be up to you and your ethics....

wos
04-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Any place I have hunted sheep is about a 6 hr hike to the alpine. Start hiking ASAP because all the sheep I have seen have been up top.

srupp
04-12-2016, 07:18 PM
You are WAY overthinking this. I always have a rifle with me in the bush. Always. And it's loaded if I not in/on a vehicle.
So you are saying that when I'm out at work, and slip that S&W 629 into the holster on my hip, a COmis going to automatically assume I'm hunting elk out of season, WITH A HANDGUN, if there happens to be a calf elk I stop to look at while it's hiding in the grass?

Any time I'm in the field, I have a rifle. The only way you get better at shooting, is by popping primers. I would LOVE to have a CO try to pin an illegal hunting charge on me while I'm shooting rocks waaaay out there in July.

Any of you guys that have the "sit and wait for six hours" mentality, better not be leaving your houses in a pickup any sooner than one hour before sunrise, because you have the intent of killing an animal that day.

There is absolutely nothing illegal about being in possession of a loaded rifle any day of the year, at any TIME of day, in BC in the bush. Period.

Now if if you are hiking in, at hour five you spot a ram at 800 yards, drop your gear and sneak 400 yards closer over the next hour, THAT would be grey area, and would be open for interpretation by a CO. But if you snuck up to 400 yards, and waited a half hour, until your 6 hours were up, that would be up to you and your ethics....

Different situation entirely..part of the aircraft and 6 hours was so the playing field was level....one couldnt take a extra circuit of the area in the aircraft..spot game..land and head up..out..and shoot that game giving aircraft clients an advantage..hence 6 hours..
Leaving home at dark 30 for a moose meadow 30 kms away..doesnt involve an aircraft..
Again..not even my longtime hunting partner agrees with my position...just that we havnt actually done anything that vould be or could be misinterpreted as hunting within that 6 hour window
With Co, s that were unknown to me..they really were petty looking for grains of rice etc in the lake from foing dishes...they can be picky..most times I have been treated fairly..but on ocasion bit my tongue. .and got real polite..
This 6 hour flight rule has been on the radar but never an issue over the years.
This applies to this years flight. ..hunt.
Cheers
Steven

Skull Hunter
04-12-2016, 07:29 PM
July 29th for some of us as we've got a ways to hike and no time for 6 hours of downtime! ;) Don't see that hiking in from A to B is hunting as we don't know where the sheep are and are not at this time stalking, chasing, pursuing with the intent to capture. That will come a few days later. Need to consider the intent of the law.

Sounds like you had sufficient evidence to get the outfitter spanked . . . although anything can happen in court!

I agree with you of course. I was just stating how ridiculous some of the "what if" questions can be. I don't think anyone, CO's included would have a problem with a guy going on a scouting mission in early summer and glassing rams. Technically "looking for and searching for game" falls under the definition of hunting. Again CO's have common sense, they will only get you with petty stuff i; 1) you're acting like and idiot, or 2) They know you as a poacher, or someone who bends the rules. In the 2nd case they probably already know who you are, where you are going and that is why you're running into them. Again that doesn't apply to most people.

Sharpish
04-12-2016, 07:42 PM
The only hard and fast rule here is hitting a game animal with a bullet within 6 hours of landing. It's not complicated. Everything else is a grey area, hiking isn't hunting, sighting in a rifle isn't hunting, glassing a hill isn't hunting. Nothing is hunting until a game animal is wounded, dying, or dead.

A poacher doesn't have a tag, a core, a pal, it's out of season, it's the wrong sex, it's not open at all. Let's not overthink things.

scoutlt1
04-12-2016, 07:53 PM
The only hard and fast rule here is hitting a game animal with a bullet within 6 hours of landing. It's not complicated. Everything else is a grey area, hiking isn't hunting, sighting in a rifle isn't hunting, glassing a hill isn't hunting. Nothing is hunting until a game animal is wounded, dying, or dead.

A poacher doesn't have a tag, a core, a pal, it's out of season, it's the wrong sex, it's not open at all. Let's not overthink things.

"glassing a hill" can and in a court of law would probably be interpreted as "hunting".

I say get off the plane, gather up your gear (including you rifle), and head to your spike camp. Don't look for or follow anything that has a pulse.
You do that, and you have nothing to worry about. I see no need to sit there for 6 hours doing nothing....

I've always thought the definition of "hunting" is pretty clear.

To each their own though I guess..... :)

Sharpish
04-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but according to some, gathering up a gun and heading to spike camp with your eyes focused down on the ground is hunting.

high and to the right
04-12-2016, 09:10 PM
In the early 80's I guided an out of province relative on a Moose hunt (this was in Alberta). We got his moose the first day. We went into town and registered it the next day and I asked the CO if it was OK for my relative to accompany me on my hunt since I had 5 days left on my hunting holiday. I also asked if he could carry a gun for protection. The CO said that if he is with me he could be charged because he could be classed as hunting because he was looking for moose that would be shot. Carrying a gun was not allowed as he now had no license. He also said that if he caught me he would charge us BUT that if another CO caught us it would be up to his discrecion as to what that CO would do.
I think that is still the case. There are reasonable CO's and there's the odd idiot trying to be tough.
One may charge you and say - prove your case in court and another one may say " Good luck".
I did go out the next day with my relative (with only one gun) and I got my moose. I hadn't seen a CO in my area in 10 years and thought that I'd take the chance.
The bad part was that I was looking over my shoulder (actually up in the air) every time a plane or chopper flew over.

tangozulu
04-12-2016, 09:47 PM

You should have turned them in.

MattW
04-12-2016, 10:26 PM
I appreciate all the input. I think I fall on the hike in but don't shoot anything side of things, and that's how I would hope the rule would be enforced, but I can see how it could be interpreted that you should stay at the landing sight. Besides Bruce, has anyone else seen enforcement of this regulation?

Gateholio
04-12-2016, 10:34 PM
I would go one step further than just "don't shoot until 6 hours are up"

I would say it's fine to start hiking, but you better not put a stalk on anything until after 6 hours.

AgSilver
04-12-2016, 10:48 PM
"glassing a hill" can and in a court of law would probably be interpreted as "hunting".

I say get off the plane, gather up your gear (including you rifle), and head to your spike camp. Don't look for or follow anything that has a pulse.
You do that, and you have nothing to worry about. I see no need to sit there for 6 hours doing nothing....

I've always thought the definition of "hunting" is pretty clear.

To each their own though I guess..... :)

It is pretty clear. No, it's very clear. It's crystal clear.

From the Wildlife Act:

"hunt" includes shooting at, attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, following after or on the trail of, stalking or lying in wait for wildlife, or attempting to do any of those things, whether or not the wildlife is then or subsequently wounded, killed or captured,
(a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or
(b) while in possession of a firearm or other weapon;

Maybe it's just my training in reading and interpreting legislation, but ALL of that is very clear and it all comes down to having intent to capture the wildlife while doing specific activities OR carrying a firearm or other weapon.

Break it down bit by bit:

If you are not (and these are all "or"...any one of them would fit the bill)

- shooting at wildlife, with the intention to capture or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting (although shooting at something without a gun seems...unlikely)

- attracting wildlife (calls, etc) with the intention of capturing it or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting

- searching for wildlife with the intention of capturing it or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting, and there is NO way that hiking to a camp would qualify as searching for wildlife

- chasing wildlife with the intention of capturing it or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting (again, hiking to camp is not chasing wildlife)

- pursuing wildlife with the intention of capturing it or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting (same as above)

- following after or on the trail of wildlife with the intention of capturing it or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting (same as above) - this one may be the closest to being "interpreted" as being on the trail of but only if your camp was literally on a game trail or something like that

- stalking or lying in wait for wildlife with the intention of capturing it or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting

- or attempting to do any of those things with the intention of capturing it or in the possession of a firearm, you aren't hunting

The original question was a good one, but the answer is so simple, when you break it down, that there are far too many responses here about it being "open to interpretation." No, it's not. It's very clear. There isn't anything to interpret. Hiking to camp doesn't fit into any of those actions. None.

If you glass with the goal of spotting wildlife, yes, you're searching for wildlife. If you glass to scout an area for a route to hike to camp, you're not hunting.

If you're out scouting after you made it to camp, then yeah, you're probably hunting.

But if you just hike to camp in the same way that you would if you weren't carrying a gun and able to shoot stuff (think "as a non-hunter would") and don't try to "spot" wildlife along the way, you're not hunting.

Tell you what, if any of you get charged under this clause while NOT doing any of the above, call me. I'll defend you at a cut rate, because that would be ridiculous.
(I actually probably wouldn't, as I don't do that, but I would think about it!)

AgSilver
04-12-2016, 10:49 PM
I would say it's fine to start hiking, but you better not put a stalk on anything until after 6 hours.

Yep, exactly.

Sharpish
04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Insane. So who is to decide whether glassing is bird watching or hunting? Let your conscience guide you. A judge will absolutely NEVER be able to pin that distinction on you.

AgSilver
04-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Insane. So who is to decide whether glassing is bird watching or hunting? Let your conscience guide you. A judge will absolutely NEVER be able to pin that distinction on you.

It'll pretty easily be based on context, evidence presented by the CO that charges you, and any evidence you could present to defend yourself. If you're on a sheep hunt and glassing a hillside that has sheep on it, I'd guess that they'd have a pretty good case against you. If you're hiking to camp and glassing a bald eagle flying by, I bet that they would never waste their time charging you.

Gateholio
04-13-2016, 12:37 AM
I bet most people that get pinched for this either blatantly break the law by killing an animal within 6 hours or self incriminate due to ignorance of what hunting is defined as. (We landed then set out hiking, saw a moose in the distance so we decided to get a better look. We got closer so we could make sure it was legal then we waited until we were 6 hours past the we shot him)

SR80
04-13-2016, 06:18 AM
Simple, do not shoot an animal after being dropped off by plane for 6 hours and you won't have an issue.

bearvalley
04-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Fly in, set up your camp, hike into your spike camp or park on the lakeshore. There's nothing illegal about sitting on a rock and glassing the surrounding area. Just don't put on a stalk or pull the trigger for at least 6 hours.
The best way to not have to worry about the issue is to start hunting the next morning.

Ltbullken
04-13-2016, 08:39 AM
If you see, approach, then camp on an animal waiting for 6 hours to pass before shooting, I'd say you've been hunting for the past 6 hours...

04-13-2016, 08:46 AM
Its funny what gets torn appart here some days..... Same people will argue this one one day to the tee,,,, and something else the other way.... like what is Guiding? or when you have taken a person with you hunting as a spectator ... Are they hunting? remember that one. people were saying you cant take your friends 10 year old son out with you...

Its six hours...... some of us may hike it.. some of us may not.... this question is one for a CO if you care that much,,, i dont.... but remember the CO that asks may not be the same guy that you asked!

AgSilver
04-13-2016, 01:47 PM
There's nothing illegal about sitting on a rock and glassing the surrounding area.

Depends if you're just "looking around" or if you're "searching for wildlife" with the intention of capturing it or if you're in possession of a firearm while doing it. Arguably if you've already set up camp, left your gun at camp, and go glassing (without intending to capture the wildlife you're looking for...but just to look for where they may be), then you could be "safe", as it were.

Would probably have to review cases to see how some of the much finer points have been previously interpreted.

Or you can just be safe and not do it.

Darksith
04-13-2016, 02:10 PM
you can easily land, start hiking and looking for wildlife. If you have no intention of even thinking about capturing it for the next 6 hours you are in the clear. You can spot wildlife on your way to your camp, making a note that there is a legal ram over there but not moving towards it means you are not for that duration, attempting or even thinking about capturing it prior to your 6h window. You are in the clear. It will be fairly easy for the CO to convince a judge as to what your intent was by your actions. If you spot an animal but don't move towards it then you aren't thinking about capturing it. If you close serious distance to a legal animal knowing it was there...the judge is probably going to say you had every intent on capturing it even if you waited to pull the trigger until 6h was up. Its not really that complicated.

wideopenthrottle
04-13-2016, 02:31 PM
:confused:um...so I am confused...after you shoot your swimnming moose from the helicopter do I have to wait 6 hours before gutting it...can I at least drag it to shore or do I have to leave it float?:confused:

bearvalley
04-13-2016, 02:36 PM
Depends if you're just "looking around" or if you're "searching for wildlife" with the intention of capturing it or if you're in possession of a firearm while doing it. Arguably if you've already set up camp, left your gun at camp, and go glassing (without intending to capture the wildlife you're looking for...but just to look for where they may be), then you could be "safe", as it were.

Would probably have to review cases to see how some of the much finer points have been previously interpreted.

Or you can just be safe and not do it.
Gee, I guess I better just sit on the lakeshore for 6 hours napping to be on the safe side.

wideopenthrottle
04-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Gee, I guess I better just sit on the lakeshore for 6 hours napping to be on the safe side.
just don't dare dream of shooting a ram..heheheh

albravo2
04-13-2016, 02:42 PM
:confused:um...so I am confused...after you shoot your swimnming moose from the helicopter do I have to wait 6 hours before gutting it...can I at least drag it to shore or do I have to leave it float?:confused:

I asked a CO. He said if you shoot it from a helicopter you can gut it right away if you used FMJ bullets. If you use a shotgun you have to wait 6 hours.

But you can tie it off so it doesn't float away.

He said just use common sense.

wideopenthrottle
04-13-2016, 02:43 PM
I asked a CO. He said if you shoot it from a helicopter you can gut it right away if you used FMJ bullets. If you use a shotgun you have to wait 6 hours.

But you can tie it off so it doesn't float away.

He said just use common sense.

what if I got it with a full auto 22

Hunt'n Guide
04-13-2016, 08:11 PM
When I've worked for GO's the waiting time was no hunting, no hiking, no glassing. Just waiting. The smart thing to do is get dropped off in the evening, set up camp and get some sleep.

AgSilver
04-13-2016, 09:17 PM

I think most people here don't like the wording of the section. I'm just reading it.