PDA

View Full Version : Group hunt LEH odds

ratherbefishin
06-05-2007, 06:52 AM
With the move to ''group hunts''for moose theoretically wouldn't the odds improve for a successful drawing,especially if a ''group''of 2 or 3 hunters was treated as 1 instead of 2 or 3 individuals?I am wondering how to improve our odds-would we be better to have 4 guys put in for 2 group hunts?

hunter1947
06-05-2007, 07:05 AM
With the move to ''group hunts''for moose theoretically wouldn't the odds improve for a successful drawing,especially if a ''group''of 2 or 3 hunters was treated as 1 instead of 2 or 3 individuals?I am wondering how to improve our odds-would we be better to have 4 guys put in for 2 group hunts?
The shared hunt odds are better then a group hunt ,each one in the shared hunt are drawen as a single ,so your odds are a lot hiegher.

ratherbefishin
06-05-2007, 07:09 AM
yes,thats what I meant-''shared'' hunts, not ''group'' hunts-and the question was-does a ''shared hunt'' by 2 or 3 count as 1 chance-or the number in the party?Another question would be the effect of reduced odds in the subsequent 2 years-what effect does that have on the odds?

3kills
06-05-2007, 07:10 AM
moose is shared hunts not group hunts and yes ur odds for a shared hunt for moose is better odds unless one person in that group had been drawn in the last three years then the odds go down for the bunch...thats the way i understand it...

ratherbefishin
06-05-2007, 07:20 AM
so,if I understand this correctly-if the odds are 3:1,then 3 hunters applying for an LEH under a ''shared'' hut,theoretically have a 1:1 chance?[and if so-how do they determine odds of greater or less than the number of hunters applying under ''shared'' hunts?]

3kills
06-05-2007, 07:29 AM
theoretically u are right i believe provided no on in ur group drew a moose draw in the last three years...i am not sure how they determine the odds....i think the only thing that makes it better odds is all names get put in seperate so if one person get drawn the whole group gets draw but have 3 chances to get drawen instead of one right....but if it was a GROUP hunt the group gets drawn as one so ur odds are lessthen a shared or the same if u were appyling solo=....

ratherbefishin
06-05-2007, 07:47 AM
I am definately in favour of the ''shared hunt''concept-1 moose is plenty for two familes,and if it enhances the LEH odds, so much the better.

Gun Dog
06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
so,if I understand this correctly-if the odds are 3:1,then 3 hunters applying for an LEH under a ''shared'' hut,theoretically have a 1:1 chance?Your odds are 1.42:1, not 1:1. You don't add up the individual odds (probabilities). The easiest way is to work out the probability that none of you will draw (2/3 x 2/3 x 2/3 = 8/27) and the opposite (19/27) is that at least one of you will draw.

ratherbefishin
06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
so-if 4 guys wanted to get the best odds,hoping to draw for at least one moose-what would they do?,does it make any diference if they went for ''2 shared hunts''[2x2] or 1''shared'' hunt?[1x4]

ryanb
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
so-if 4 guys wanted to get the best odds,hoping to draw for at least one moose-what would they do?,does it make any diference if they went for ''2 shared hunts''[2x2] or 1''shared'' hunt?[1x4]

Well, it would be far better to apply for the 1x4 hunt because they have the same odds of being drawn, but ZERO chance of only drawing one 2x2 shared hunt and having one moose between the four of them.

Elkhound
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Thats right.....I would put all 4 in on shared hunt draw.....that way you only need one guy to get drawn and then you are elligible for 2 moose between you all

3kills
06-05-2007, 01:20 PM
ya i agree with elkhound take the 4 of ya and put in for a group of 4 shared hunt....then u guys can hunt 2 moose rather then one....

Buchaneer
06-05-2007, 02:07 PM
The shared hunt thing has always confused me and because our group of four didn't all want to get knocked out of the draw for the next three years we have continued to apply as singles. A buddy had a draw two years ago, I had one last year and hopefully one of the other two will get one this year. If we had shared - we all would have been out of the mix for the next three years. So far only one year out of eight did none of us receive a draw. That year we went North and got our moose during the August hunt!

hunter1947
06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
The shared hunt thing has always confused me and because our group of four didn't all want to get knocked out of the draw for the next three years we have continued to apply as singles. A buddy had a draw two years ago, I had one last year and hopefully one of the other two will get one this year. If we had shared - we all would have been out of the mix for the next three years. So far only one year out of eight did none of us receive a draw. That year we went North and got our moose during the August hunt!
Hears what i do ,when our group puts in for a shared hunt the one year ,we make sure that 2 out of our party of 4 don't put in for that year ,We get 2 other people to put in that don't hunt any more to make up the four in a shared hunt. That leaves you with 2 that did not put in at all in your party that year. If your party got picked that year then that leaves 2 that did not put in for that year. Then one out of the two that did not put in for the draw the that year will put in for the next year with 2 or 3 more people that did not put in for you the year before ,just keep doing this and after the third year you are back to square one ,i might not have put this together quit right but if you really look at my wording it it might make sense to you.

reach
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
The only problem with that approach is that with a shared hunt, anybody in the group can shoot the moose. The way you're doing it, only the one guy who got the draw is legally allowed to take a moose.

If you're treating it like a shared hunt, where anybody shoots the moose but the guy with the authorization cuts his tag, well, that would be illegal.

Same with hunter1947's approach - if you are getting 2 other hunter numbers in the draw just to improve your chances, any guys who go with you but weren't actually drawn as part of the group are not legally allowed to shoot a moose.

ratherbefishin
06-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Back to the orginal question-are the numbers of moose in such bad shape that they are vulnerable to over hunting?I would like to see a system where 2 or 3 guys could be guaranteed of a chance at a chance for a moose,apart from going way north,or limited to the early season,apart from the immature only .I'm just concerned that one of the results of the antler restrictions is mistaken identity kills,which results in a dead animal anyway

7 mag
06-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Also keep in mind, The odds posted in the LEH synopsis are last yrs odds only.

hunter1947
06-06-2007, 07:31 AM
The only problem with that approach is that with a shared hunt, anybody in the group can shoot the moose. The way you're doing it, only the one guy who got the draw is legally allowed to take a moose.

If you're treating it like a shared hunt, where anybody shoots the moose but the guy with the authorization cuts his tag, well, that would be illegal.

Same with hunter1947's approach - if you are getting 2 other hunter numbers in the draw just to improve your chances, any guys who go with you but weren't actually drawn as part of the group are not legally allowed to shoot a moose.
Yes that is true ,but out of the 4 applicants if picked ,four can shoot two moose ,thats enough meat for the 4 of us ,out of the 4 in your party two and two can hunt till you get your two moose ,works great. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Buchaneer
06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Hears what i do ,when our group puts in for a shared hunt the one year ,we make sure that 2 out of our party of 4 don't put in for that year ,We get 2 other people to put in that don't hunt any more to make up the four in a shared hunt. That leaves you with 2 that did not put in at all in your party that year. If your party got picked that year then that leaves 2 that did not put in for that year. Then one out of the two that did not put in for the draw the that year will put in for the next year with 2 or 3 more people that did not put in for you the year before ,just keep doing this and after the third year you are back to square one ,i might not have put this together quit right but if you really look at my wording it it might make sense to you.

Thanks hunter1947 for the reply. I never thought of it that way. But just a question and a point for discussion By having a friend who does not hunt any more (I would assume with no intention of hunting) use his number to increase group odds, would that be considered deceptive or smart as a way of increasing odds? With limited LEH's in the draw, it can be taken either way.

Fisher-Dude
06-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Do H47's dead friends whose hunter number is used also use black ink on their applications? :rolleyes:

hunter1947
06-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Do H47's dead friends whose hunter number is used also use black ink on their applications? :rolleyes:
No ,they are all still alive :wink:.

hunter1947
06-06-2007, 08:48 AM

That is true but we team up two with two ,no problums.:wink:.

hunter1947
06-06-2007, 08:58 AM
What i understand that if one gets picked on a 4 in a shared hunt ,then two moose are allowed in your group and it does not matter who shoots the two moose out of the 4 in your party as long as you all have a moose tag and you have reached your quot of two.

3kills
06-06-2007, 01:15 PM
if one person shoots the moos he cancels his tag and he cant shoot another one some one else has to shoot it....

hunter1947
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
if one person shoots the moos he cancels his tag and he cant shoot another one some one else has to shoot it.... Correct ,or someome else that is in the shared hunt group that has the secount tag :wink:.

ratherbefishin
06-06-2007, 01:21 PM
the thing to watch out for is when several guys go out on a shared hunt-they have to be in close communication so as to let the others know they have taken a moose-2would be ok-but when 1 was their quota-they have to call off the hunt imediately,unless it was in an open immature season allowing another animal to be harvested-as long as it was an immature[I have never seen one!]

ratherbefishin
06-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Reading the LEH information -I see ''group hunts[moose] have been replaced with ''shared hunts''[moose] anyway.

hunter1947
06-06-2007, 03:24 PM
correct there are no group hunts anymore ,just shared. And when you have 2 permits for a moose on a shered hunt two and two go together and hunt with the understanding that each of the two out of the four take one moose each . Excample if we got picked on the shared hunt out of the 4 LEH draws we put in ,we can shoot 2 moose ,then when the 4 of us go up we split in two groups ,with the understanding that we shoot one moose in each of the two groups ,you can't go wrong.

ratherbefishin
06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
now-I just have to :
[1] remember to get my draw tickets
[2] figure out who* can go
[3] mark them correctly[blackpen-of course]
[4] cross my fingers we get a draw[3rd year since we drew]
* got to include a young fellow-for packing

hunter1947
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
now-I just have to :
[1] remember to get my draw tickets
[2] figure out who* can go
[3] mark them correctly[blackpen-of course]
[4] cross my fingers we get a draw[3rd year since we drew]
* got to include a young fellow-for packing
If four of you got picked on a shared hunt for moose two of the four can go ,you don't have to take the other two they can stay home ,you can shoot one moose each out of the two of you ,one each. And if you got picked for two people on the moose shared hunt you are allowed one moose and if for some reason the other person couldn't go you or the other could go by themselves and shoot one moose.