PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack Valley

heatherdaddy
04-11-2016, 08:01 AM
I am thinking of heading to the Chilliwack Valley this weekend for Bear. Just wondering if anyone can tell me which roads to avoid because of the ATV'ers or which road might be productive. I have never been there but know a guy that rund Tamihi Campground and he said he seen a couple around but not to many.

Thanks

tim3500
04-11-2016, 08:05 AM
Too Early ! Couple more weeks but way to much traffic in that area . I would stay on the #1 little further

adriaticum
04-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Entire Chilliwack Valley is the domain of ATV-ers, you can't avoid them like plague.

Singleshotneeded
04-11-2016, 10:36 AM
I am thinking of heading to the Chilliwack Valley this weekend for Bear. Just wondering if anyone can tell me which roads to avoid because of the ATV'ers or which road might be productive. I have never been there but know a guy that rund Tamihi Campground and he said he seen a couple around but not to many.

Thanks

If you visit QUADS.CA, and have your map book handy, you can read about the ATV'ers main areas and avoid them...

ruger#1
04-11-2016, 10:40 AM
People on quads scare me. I think the guys on three wheelers are a lot nicer. The Skagit gets bad this time of the year. Nice spots up at the Cattermole main. North of Spuzzum.

ROY-alty33
04-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Can't avoid quads/Jeeps/dirt bikes in the Chilliwack River Valley. Especially on the weekend, mid-day mid week might not be too bad but even then????

digger dogger
04-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Hahaha, ur better off in the skagit.
Instead of asking about THE closest fsr's to LML, why not try them out for yourself?

PressurePoint
04-11-2016, 07:11 PM
Spend the extra 45 minutes and go past Hope. Find a logging road with green grass. There are bears everywhere. Anywhere up chilliwack valley is polluted with vehicles and atvers

RackStar
04-11-2016, 07:29 PM
only thing your going to find in Chilliwack is beer cans, quads, drunken idiots on quads, and more beer cans..
but good luck!

ruger#1
04-11-2016, 07:32 PM
only thing your going to find in Chilliwack is beer cans, quads, drunken idiots on quads, and more beer cans..
but good luck! If your collecting cans. You'll do fine.

ruger#1
04-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Hahaha, ur better off in the skagit.
Instead of asking about THE closest fsr's to LML, why not try them out for yourself? The Skagit is going down hill also.

caddisguy
04-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Found a video of a bear getting taken in the Chilliwack Valley. Doesn't look like any ATV's around... looks early season too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TfjlZUSzL0

Doesn't sound like many people hunt bears around there, so worth checking out. Probably some early bears around lower elevations where there's food. My brother has had a few hanging around the property in maple ridge for a couple weeks now.

caddisguy
04-11-2016, 08:09 PM
The Skagit is going down hill also.

Sad sight for sure. Different breed of outdoor user these days. Judging by the amount of salmon and sardine cans with holes punched in them we found last year, I imagine there's some poaching going on. Always wondered why they bother with the canned fish when it would be just as easy to hunt over the garbage that campers leave along the main road.

russm
04-11-2016, 08:15 PM
I was up there on saturday, quite a few quads and bikes around, lots of edible grass and such but didnt see any bears, we did see 4 deer and a coyote in chilliwacknlake road though.

itsy bitsy xj
04-11-2016, 08:16 PM
Found a video of a bear getting taken in the Chilliwack Valley. Doesn't look like any ATV's around... looks early season too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TfjlZUSzL0

Doesn't sound like many people hunt bears around there, so worth checking out. Probably some early bears around lower elevations where there's food. My brother has had a few hanging around the property in maple ridge for a couple weeks now.

That was only 7 years ago

One Shot
04-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Where ever you go...Check local laws. There are a lot of no discharge laws in various areas including the Chilliwack Valley. I believe the CV is altitude based as well.

caddisguy
04-11-2016, 08:27 PM
That was only 7 years ago

True it's an older video but I don't think the bears packed up and left though.

I think anywhere one hunts in Region 2, there's going to be lots of traffic around anything resembling a road, but it doesn't matter if it's Harrison, Chilliwack or whatever, if you consider the amount of terrain and that 99% of these "outdoor users" are condensed within 30 meters of a road, these areas are vastly under-hunted and under-used in general. That is one cool thing about Region 2. It's so thick and steep it deters people from covering much ground. Down side of course is having to pack a bear a little ways, but you'll sleep like a baby after :)

BCHunterTV
04-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Skagit is a zoo... buddy counted 11 trucks on saturday.

Chilliwack has bears moving now, need to glass the cuts. Two were seen on Sunday

browningboy
04-11-2016, 09:52 PM
There's lots of bears around, even in Chilliwack! You have to just walk

Camp Cook
04-12-2016, 05:56 AM
Remember there is a no shooting within 800 meters of the main road closure basically from the Sleese Creek bridge (I believe it starts before the bridge though) and goes to the lake the map/info sign is on the right immediately after you cross the Sleese Creek bridge.

I'd not waste my time looking for bear up the Chilliwack Valley several years ago now a poacher took out so many bears that numbers have not been able to recover yet.

I'd head up the Harrison area.

Dirty
04-12-2016, 06:32 AM
I'd not waste my time looking for bear up the Chilliwack Valley several years ago now a poacher took out so many bears that numbers have not been able to recover yet.

I'd head up the Harrison area.

This is interesting news any additional information. I had never heard this before. I did notice we weren't seeing many bears anymore while fishing.

heatherdaddy
04-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Well thanks for the info, I think I will try my luck in there on Saturday anyways. I plan on hiking in once I am off the main road.
I will keep everyone informed on how it goes.

digger dogger
04-12-2016, 07:22 AM
Skagit is a zoo... buddy counted 11 trucks on saturday.

Chilliwack has bears moving now, need to glass the cuts. Two were seen on Sunday

Politics??

caddisguy
04-12-2016, 07:40 AM
This is interesting news any additional information. I had never heard this before. I did notice we weren't seeing many bears anymore while fishing.

I think it's happening everywhere, not just Chilliwack. Hoping the CO's can catch these guys leaving the salmon/sardine cans around. Found 4 last year, all on or just off trails/fsr's that had bear scat around. Same thing with each can... bunch of holes punched into them, probably with a screw driver. All but one were on drivable roads or just off to the side of a road within 50 yards of a logical stopping or pull-off point where they would camp or sit in the truck. Should be fairly easy to catch if the CO's take a little walk down the line of sight if they do license checks again this year... though it could also be a waste of time if they can't prove the person knew the can was there :(

heatherdaddy
04-12-2016, 09:15 AM
I know exactly where you are talking about as I saw about 4 or 5 cans like that on 2-3 different roads in the Skagit last year. All the time I spent in there last year I never saw a single CO at all.

Fella
04-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Wow, people are too lazy to hunt them without illegally baiting now? Spring bear is about the easiest hunt there is...

plumberjustin
04-12-2016, 10:42 AM
I can't stand these people that must break the law and not earn the meat they are hunting for. Last spring I was poking around Lawless up in Tulameen and found multiple milk jugs with fish roe along the creek edge. Also found a pullout up on the road littered with cigarette butts, where someone was obviously parked multiple times waiting for baited yogi to appear. I reported it to the local CO, but doubt anything became of it.