PDA

View Full Version : Calling all ultra runners

BowRunner
04-11-2016, 06:35 AM
The season for mountain racing is upon us and it helps get us in shape for mountain hunting.

Anyone other trail runners on the forum? I'm always looking for partners to run/train 50km+ in the local LML mountains.

Bigd74
04-11-2016, 07:10 AM
I have done 1 ultra. 2 years ago I did Squamish 50.
Sadly my mileage is no where even close to that anymore

BowRunner
04-11-2016, 08:10 AM
That's a hard race. I have not run it but I volunteered one year and witnessed the carnage. If you've done the distance, you can always make steps back. What kind of hunting are you into?

Bear
04-11-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm in!! I've run a couple. The Squamish 50. Did the 50miler. And just returned from Costa Rica and ran the "coastal challenge" over there in feb. looking at the fat dog this year. And ready to get hunting. Already out chasing bear.

Brambles
04-11-2016, 09:47 AM
Good for you guys, always admired guys that could run mega distances.....

Jrax
04-11-2016, 11:26 AM
did the frosty mountain 50km ultra about 5 years ago, what an awesome experience. Only problem is that its mid - September and right when I like to chase elk and sheep. Im not in LML anymore and not training like I used to b/c busy with family. I did my own Babine mtn park mini ultra one day that was 44km and very rewarding. I did a loop via the trail systems there and back to vehicle (gear: running shoes, small pack with water, filter, snacks and bear mace). Saw a couple groups of goats and a couple of singles... billies? I plan try more of these loop marathons with tougher shoes/boots and bring binos for scouting purposes (or drop off at one lake and pick up at another). This of course only works where there are half decent trail systems, however even in remote areas that I have explored with backpacks I found game trails and horse trails that I could scout with light gear and a partner where there are good sheep, elk, caribou etc.

Bigd74
04-11-2016, 12:37 PM
That's a hard race. I have not run it but I volunteered one year and witnessed the carnage. If you've done the distance, you can always make steps back. What kind of hunting are you into?

This is first year hunting.

steel_ram
04-11-2016, 03:23 PM
Rebuilding from an injury, too many pavement marathons and a bike crash, but hope to be at it by next season. So many incredible races here in BC and our neighbouring states. Maybe Sun mountain next year or Frosty as it is reasonably close.

Buck
04-11-2016, 03:32 PM
If you guys slowed it down to a walk i would be interested.LOL Not sure my very good knees could take that pounding at 57.I train every week would be interested in some big hikes.

BowRunner
04-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Had to work today so I'm slow at responding. I love hearing there are like minded people out there. Sometimes you think you are the only one with such diverse interests. I'm thinking of the Frosty also or maybe the Coast Mountain mystery race in September. I will probably try for an extended early season hunt so there is no conflict. We'll see.

Bear, that Coastal Challenge looks epic. I've run up around Cathedral Lakes, the Fat Dog start area - it's beautiful up there.

If anyone is interested in meeting up for a trail run 25-50k to start - PM me. I usually head out early Saturday mornings.

markathome
04-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Wow the internet loops together some very diverse people... I have a couple runs under my belt (Orcas 50k this year) and signed up for the Squamish 50miler. I love how well trail running compliments how I hunt - the fitness base really works for long hunting days, usually back to back, covering ground. Trail running also gives me that extra confidence that even if I'm that far from the truck, it's just a matter of slugging it out until I'm back.

I'm building base right now, but I'd be keen for early am runs in May/June - come on up to Squamish for little sight seeing in the mountains :)

AgSilver
04-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Legit question - how do you guys find the time? I've done a couple of Halfs and a few shorter tris and, with work as busy as it is, I don't even have time for that anymore. Can barely squeeze in a couple of gym visits each week.

markathome
04-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Hey AgSilver - I have a fairly demanding job as project manager and a young family so I hear where you're coming from. I start my day early and end my day early (I'm heading to bed in 10 mins - lights out). I usually fit a work out in five/six out of seven days and it's a mix of finished before 6:30AM or starting after 8:30PM. I run in the dark alot (thanks Petzel).

My long workouts are on the weekend and are usually done and dusted before the kids finish their cereal - depending. If I'm in the training zone that has me out of the house for five plus hours I have to get a hall pass from the wife and if she knows there's a event coming she's usually pretty chill about it. Usually.

I'm a big fan of mobility training (body weight exercise for strength plus yoga) and variety so my kid's/wife's sports compliment mine - climbing/skiing/suping etc etc. My family is pretty active too, so I can piggy back on family time sometimes depending on what's on for the day.

I do all of my workouts from my front door or in my basement (or in the pool in the winter) so that saves time with the gym I think.

I think Will Gadd summed it up pretty well here: https://vimeo.com/74389041

It's a pretty cheesy vid in some regards, but the point is well taken in my life (Will and I are the same ageish)

steel_ram
04-12-2016, 10:24 AM
Finding the time? It's tough. I work 9 hrs a day. I can run to and from work, most direct route 10k but usually take the woods. One day a week will leave an hour early and put in two hours. 1/2 hour lunch can jog to a location and do hills or track for strength. Weekends, my wife likes to sleep in so I can easily do 3hrs and be back for breakfast. This is when actually training. Peaking at 120km a week. Two 'rest' days.

In my 50's, the 120 km was too much, hence where I am now. My best times. (Road Marathon 2:55) was on 90km a week.

Ultras are a bit different, strength training will make the hills a lot more survivable, but the main thing is to put in the distance, not fast, and condition the body to burn stored fuel. The successful 100 milers I know run frustrating slow compared to those training for shorter distances. Training for anything over a 1/2 marathon is a whole different ball game.

AgSilver
04-12-2016, 06:08 PM
Interesting perspectives. I'm a self-employed professional with nowhere near enough time on my hands, particularly with a one year old son.

I'm hoping that by hiring a junior (just started yesterday), I'll be able to start focusing more on my own life. I'd like to get back into Olympic Distance tris, but will need to shed about 50 lbs first.

BowRunner
04-12-2016, 07:57 PM
For the time question, I do as steel_ram: run commuting. Once I switched over, it has prepared me for marathons alone. For ultras, I throw in a weekend mountain run. Run commuting also lets you get in doubles (ie two runs a day) which when varying the distance can give you nice back-to-backs (ie two longer runs one day after the other) - these help with getting used to running tired.

Jrax
04-14-2016, 11:04 AM
with 3 kids to get extra time to work out I will take 2 older ones for a bike ride to a park while I jog, once at park i run laps in the field and throw in push ups and sit ups. Purchased bench, weights and cage and elliptical in garage to save time on going to gym. Wife and I take turns working out.

When training for marathons I learned from a long time ultra runner that any time spent on feet and being active is essentially training. My thoughts were that a hike in hunt for sheep would be good training and so I planned one with my dad a month before the run. On the trip log we covered about 125km with backpacks over rough terrain in 10 days (not including the kms logged when my partner would bed down and I would hike up then nearest ridge to glass last hour of daylight). When I got back and continued running/training I can honestly say the trail running seemed a heck of a lot easier, It probably didn't hurt that I lost an additional 8 - 10 pounds.

Like markathome said, the fitness base for ultra training/running compliments hunting so well. I certainly did notice how much easier that sheep hunt was compared to the one before when I wasn't training as hard. One small drawback I found was that I started to like covering so much ground that I often over step places that I should really hang around more. I actually have to force myself to slow down and be patient where there is good sign.

BowRunner
04-14-2016, 06:42 PM
Hey Jrax, I agree with being up in the mountains and then coming back down into training mode. I had thought that the altitude also gave me an edge beyond being on my feet most of the day. I suppose both items help. My experience with weight has been for every pound I lose, it's a one minute gain on a road marathon (to a certain of course - you don't want to lose muscle mass).

Banjo
05-09-2016, 04:12 PM
I'm training for the Fatdog in August. I'd be onto some mountain runs with some fellow hunters. Pm me

lapadat
05-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Have done a few marathons (Vancouver, Kelowna, Boston) and a handful of ultras including Frosty Mnt, RFW and Dirty Duo. Currently training for Fat Dog as well. The rewards of being fit for hunting season is a huge bonus.

steel_ram
11-30-2017, 10:21 AM
Any plans for the upcoming year? I recently ran my first trail race after a few years injury recovery. I did OK. I don't seem to have the fortitude to push it past the boiling point anymore, plus carrying a bit of extra weight sure killed me on the hills. I thought about signing up for the Squamish race. Thought too long. It was sold out in a few hours.

Might try the Yakima Skyline, as would also like to do a fishing trip down the canyon. I will do the Finlayson Arm 50 next fall as it is my local race.

mod7rem
12-01-2017, 11:51 AM
I thought I was a reasonably fit 49 year old until I read this thread. Much respect fellas✊

Rampager
12-01-2017, 09:16 PM
I haven't ran an ultra yet but have done a number of half ultra distance races and am signed up for Squamish 50k next year (made it in before it sold out in 44 minutes)!

Banjo - what Fat Dog distance did you do? How did it go? It looks like a beautiful course.

Rampager
05-15-2019, 09:43 PM
I'd like to revise this thread for 2019! What's on everyone's calendar?

My Squamish 50km went well last year and I added the Whistler Alpine Meadows 55km too.

This year is the Squamish 50 mile, two weeks later I leave for a 2 week sheep hunt, and one week after that is the Whistler Alpine Meadows Triple Wammy (13km, 25km, 55km over consecutive days). It will be an interesting month that's for sure!

pin_head
05-16-2019, 06:54 AM
I’m amazed at the numbers you guys can put down, incredible! This year I’ve done two 5K races and one 10K, I can’t even fathom multiplying that 5 times!

i managed to drop 15 lbs over winter and the difference it makes in running is huge but I’ve hit the wall now and haven’t lost an ounce in the last month. I guess I’ll have to push and try for 15K.

Brad

steel_ram
05-16-2019, 07:16 AM
I'm taking the year off running. Too much pain and wasn't enjoying it. Time for a rebuild and a different, less competitive approach.

Wooderson604
05-17-2019, 09:13 AM
I was training for the MEC 50km on June 2nd but due to shin splints and lower leg issues i'll be pulling out. But, I am training for the Fat Dog 40 miler in August and am planning on doing the WAM 55km in September. In between those, I have an archery mule deer hunt planned.