PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Gunbearers

gmachine19
04-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Anyone use this system before? I want to do more walk and stalk that truck hunt this season and this looks really convenient. Anyone know where I could buy one?

Here's a vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7B_iiglCtQ

71_camaro
04-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Yup.i got mine from kifaru usa.it works great for day hunting. I dont use it for super long hikes tho

Hadda
04-10-2016, 09:41 PM
Online directly from kifaru is the only place to buy one. You very rarely see them used on here

604ksmith
04-10-2016, 09:43 PM
I have used one on a Kuiu bag and it worked perfectly. I found it to be great and really something I'm surprised hasn't caught on.

RiverOtter
04-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Love the KGB for everything I wear a pack for. Work great and faster than a sling. Bought a second so I didn't have to switch between packs. Kifaru are great people to deal with.....

Lastcar
04-10-2016, 10:06 PM
I just ordered one. Heard nothing but good things.

I have the Stone Glacier one on my pack. You can't mount the rifle once the pack is on. I hate laying the pack on its side to get the rifle mounted in the sling.

I like the idea of being able to have it ride up front or being able to mount it to the side. Same problem as the SG version then but at least I have the choice.

BgBlkDg
04-10-2016, 10:45 PM
I have 3 or 4 or them, used them quite a lot and they are pretty good for lighter rifles, but, tend to be dicey for heavier ones, IME.

I bought a LOT of Kifaru gear about 10 years ago, close to 5K worth Canadian and had several QC issues. I was not satisfied with some of their CS responses and moved on to other makers.

Kifaru, has had very successful marketing techniques, but, I really have found MR, Seek Outside and some other makers to offer superior products and service.

Each to his own, I will probably offer mine for sale here soon.

SR80
04-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Been using the gun bearer for years, works great. It takes a little bit of time for some people to get used to, having the barrel of their gun out in front of them. Most guys you see with them have them setup wrong as well, ei gun twisted, or backwards, and hanging down way too low.

nicktrehearne
04-11-2016, 08:06 AM
They are awesome - have used them on a variety of packs doing everything from day trips to 10-14 day backpack trips with it.

Rackmastr
04-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Love mine and works very well once you get used to it.

I love any of my Kifaru gear and they have been amazing to deal with and build some amazing quality stuff.

decker9
04-11-2016, 09:40 AM
I ordered one when I ordered my dt1. Personally, I don't like the strap on my shoulder strap, I only use my pack on backpack hunts tho, in which if I'm climbing/hiking, it's usually with poles, I found my rifle got in the way hanging out infront of me, and also when hiking uphill, my rifle would point at whoever was leading. At times that I had no poles, my rifles generally in my hands anyway.

What i do do tho when I need both hands, is use the cradle for the butstock, and use the top strap on my side pocket to hold in the top end of my rifle.

For as good of gear as Kifaru is, I worried about the buckle holding the rifle to the shoulder strap unclipping, and my rifle taking a spill.

If you could get a good look at one, it would actually be a pretty easy system to put together yourself also if you have a handy hand.

Brno22F
04-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Have one. use it for hike-in hunts with Backpack (sheep and early season mule deer above timberline).

Like the Gun Bearer so much I picked up 2 more as gifts for my hunting partners. It is simple, well constructed, very light, relatively inexpensive and it works.

gmachine19
04-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I'm going to order 1, maybe 2 , soon. My rifle is pretty heavy so there is that concern... Are there other products that carries ur rifle and can be quickly aimed when u need it?

Call of the Wild
04-11-2016, 06:53 PM
I've been using one for the past four years on my mountain hunts. Great product to have your rifle available within a few seconds in the event you face a charging bear. I never had issues hiking with it going uphill or downhill and with my hiking poles as well. It didn't take me long to get used having my barrel in front of my face, actually within a day I stop paying attention to the gun. I highly recommend!

I modified mine after the first trip since the barrel kept smacking me in the face. Get a strap sewed on the rear portion of the holder and with a strap figure 8 clip you can adjust the movement of the gun with this strap looped to the bottom of your pack. Myself I adjusted that strap so the barrel can only swing a few inches in front of my face and my fragile glasses. Since this modification I never got smacked in the face by my rifle’s barrel and I don’t pay attention while hiking to the rifle movements since I know it can’t hit me. I hope it make sense or I can post pictures of my set-up.

albravo2
04-11-2016, 07:04 PM
I have a couple that I bought for me and my older son. He used his one day and went back to carrying his rifle in his hands.

I don't love mine, but it is OK. I find it really weights one side of your belt which creates some hot spots on long hikes. I also had issues with it swinging near my face and banging the visor of my ball cap, but that might have just been an adjustment issue.

Last problem, I have extra ammo on the stock and I found it often got hung up if I went for a fast extraction. I don't want to get rid of that ammo but it makes the gunbearer a bit less quick.

All that said, I haven't found a better system. I sure as hell don't want my rifle inaccessibly stowed on the side or back of my pack.

RiverOtter
04-11-2016, 07:21 PM
Trick is definitely taking the time to setup properly, or you'll curse the bastids. My rifle never bangs me in the face, is faster than a traditional sling for getting rifle into shooting position and is never pointed a the guy in front on steep inclines, though I'm a cold chamber guy regardless.

A heads up for those trying to save some money, don't order the universal GB thinking it comes with 2 complete systems for a large and small hip belt.....It DOESN'T. You simply gey 2 different belt attachments. If you want to save money, order 2 large hip belt systems right outta the gate and save on shipping, cause once you use it on your big pack, you're gonna want a second for your day pack......:grin:

RiverOtter
04-11-2016, 07:26 PM
I have a couple that I bought for me and my older son. He used his one day and went back to carrying his rifle in his hands.

I don't love mine, but it is OK. I find it really weights one side of your belt which creates some hot spots on long hikes. I also had issues with it swinging near my face and banging the visor of my ball cap, but that might have just been an adjustment issue.

Last problem, I have extra ammo on the stock and I found it often got hung up if I went for a fast extraction. I don't want to get rid of that ammo but it makes the gunbearer a bit less quick.

All that said, I haven't found a better system. I sure as hell don't want my rifle inaccessibly stowed on the side or back of my pack.

Waist belt or pack belt? On a good pack belt I don't even notice it.

You running the Uncle Mikes exposed shell holder? If so, try the one with the velcro flap that covers over the shells. I have zero issues with mine.

SR80
04-12-2016, 06:30 AM
another thing i like about the gun bearer, is with the barrel coming up under your armpit, its a good place to rest you arm to steady yourself with glassing while standing, i like it when hunting the timber.

Blockcaver
04-12-2016, 07:21 AM
I carry my compound bow in the Gun Bearer when backpacking and hunting above treeline. Leaves both hands free to use poles and you can get your bow in a half a second. Safer place for the bow than on the back of the pack in my opinion. It works very well for a rifle too.

Kifaru packs are very comfortable and tough in my experience and are my pack of choice.

.264winmag
04-12-2016, 07:28 AM
Have no idea how I went so long without a proper weapon sling for backpacking. I tried slinging in front but wasn't for me, here's another method:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SAgzk3YtLs&nohtml5=False

Perhaps a bit slower on drawing weapon but still fast enough...

RiverOtter
04-12-2016, 03:59 PM
Pretty close to the Kifaru system by the looks of it. Needing a buddy or having to drop your pack to reattach would be a pita, as would hiking through alders with the barrel above the pack.

If a guy could add a second quick detach onto your shoulder strap to give 2 options of carry, it'd have my full attention.......