PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on a bow

leadpillproductions
04-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Kinda kicking the idea of getting a bow , but i know absolutely nothing about bows , whats good , what to get ect . Not going to use a lot but might shoot a doe or somethin from tree stand ? Dont want to spend a plye but dont want junk.

Mikey Rafiki
04-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Recently picked up a Bowtech Carbon Icon set up at 70lb - 30.5" draw. First bow, great price, pretty much set up with RAK package, plus arrows and a release.

2 weeks in and she's pretty tuned for turkey decapitations out to 40 yards ;)

Everyone will say buy what fits and shoots best for you at your price, but I found it's taken me several hundred shots plus hours of videos to get a decent shooting form, so I'm not sure what a newbie could do other than take a bunch of lessons or practice with someone else before finding out what fits you best.

J_T
04-08-2016, 10:55 AM
Recently picked up a Bowtech Carbon Icon set up at 70lb - 30.5" draw. First bow, great price, pretty much set up with RAK package, plus arrows and a release.

2 weeks in and she's pretty tuned for turkey decapitations out to 40 yards ;)

Everyone will say buy what fits and shoots best for you at your price, but I found it's taken me several hundred shots plus hours of videos to get a decent shooting form, so I'm not sure what a newbie could do other than take a bunch of lessons or practice with someone else before finding out what fits you best. Archery is a craft, an apprenticeship and one's skill is advanced more readily with a mentor, for sure.

Whonnock Boy
04-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Be sure to message JT, as he will get you all caught up with the "elitism" mentality of being a bow hunter, as well as provide tips on how to throw in bow hunter superiority comments wherever possible on threads throughout HBC. :lol:

Whonnock Boy
04-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Speak of the devil..... LOL!

NorBC
04-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Don't start with a 70lb bow. honestly if you don't want to be that serious buy something cheaper.. Anything these days will do, and if you find that you like it (which you will) invest in something better. You live in a great area for Bowhunting.

HarryToolips
04-08-2016, 12:17 PM
I'm no pro compared to the above guys, but I will say practice practice, practice, and get a rangefinder..a rifle has a lot more forgiveness with a shot that's not exactly perfect..

Mikey Rafiki
04-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Don't start with a 70lb bow. honestly if you don't want to be that serious buy something cheaper.. Anything these days will do, and if you find that you like it (which you will) invest in something better. You live in a great area for Bowhunting.

I started off at 60lbs and worked up to 70 after a couple weeks. I completely agree that may be too much for some. At 6-2, 240lbs and a regular gym goer I find the 70lb draw easily manageable and I would be kicking myself if I had picked the 50-60lb option.

Obviously a well placed arrow at adequate speed beats a poorly placed arrow at any speed.

leadpillproductions
04-08-2016, 02:52 PM
how do you chose draw length , axle to axle size

Rookie Hunter
04-08-2016, 03:48 PM
I recently bought a PSE Stinger X combo from Hardcore Archery in Kelowna. Great bow for the price, especially if you don't know what you like yet. In terms of power, I have it set at approx. 63lbs and could take down big game with confidence to 40 yards. I suggest this route before you spend $2000. Hardcore will also fit you to the bow and give you a free lesson.

I also realized that the act of shooting a bow at a target is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable hobbies out there!

Rookie Hunter
04-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Draw length is dependant on arm length. Get your local proshop to measure you. Longer axle to axle is more stable and easier to shoot accurately. Keep within normal ranges if you're just getting started.

Rookie Hunter
04-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Another advantage of the Stinger is you can buy a 70lb bow, dial it down to about 40lbs, and train yourself back up to desired weight. Many bows don't have this much range.

FortBoy
04-08-2016, 04:32 PM
I shoot the PSE stinger, great entry level bow (my first), was nice to start out at the lower poundage as noted above. have mine tuned into about 60#, starts to make quite a bit more noise after that so i didnt care to raise it any more. had the bow for 2 years now, still in one piece and shooting great. very different experience taking an animal at 40 yards compared to 200+ with a rifle.

Downwind
04-09-2016, 07:08 PM
how do you chose draw length , axle to axle size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9pTTdNerQ

ATA was metioned by someone else. Longer ATA is generally more forgiving. Same with the brace height, most will be 7" which is good just don't go with anything less then that. And a bow with a 60lb draw weight is more than enough, especially for what you're intending to use it for.

leadpillproductions
04-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Pretty easy thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX9pTTdNerQ

ATA was metioned by someone else. Longer ATA is generally more forgiving. Same with the brace height, most will be 7" which is good just don't go with anything less then that. And a bow with a 60lb draw weight is more than enough, especially for what you're intending to use it for.

Vader
04-10-2016, 09:19 AM
There is a ton of reading available on the "net" a mentor will save you hours of reading and form development. Knowing your draw length is a good start.. If you are buying second hand pay attention to the following.. Carry a cotton ball.. Sweep the limbs with it and look to see if there are threads left behind.. = delaminated limbs = run away. Bent cams are another sign. Any straight edge will show if its bent.. Excessive Cam lean= bearing problem or bow improperly tuned. You can feel the bearing worn if you try to rock it back and forth.
Strings frayed.. New set is 125-200 Or more depending on where you buy.
Arrows.. Do lots of reading.. Ask the pro shop.
Rests.. I prefer the drop away rests.. Zero interference with the arrow on release. A lot of shooters prefer whisker biscuit rests.
Practice every other day.. I also recommend you shoot in the field like a 3d shoot. Fun and very educational.. If you are going to shoot from tree stand.. Practice that as it is different than shooting back yard bulls eyes.
Sights.. Buy a quality sight.. Last you longer.

Spy
04-10-2016, 09:51 AM
Be sure to message JT, as he will get you all caught up with the "elitism" mentality of being a bow hunter, as well as provide tips on how to throw in bow hunter superiority comments wherever possible on threads throughout HBC. :lol:
Another attack on a person you have probably never met! What you taken over Pats role of attacking bow hunters! Oh that's right you Pat, Jesse and the rest of your BCWF play group are thick as thieves ! So glad I kicked your tired lying asses off my FB ! :-) Just by the way most bow hunters start off as rifle hunters, we have just evolved.

Whonnock Boy
04-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Note the laughing guy at the end. That denotes humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kind of like my overuse of exclamation points here... Give it a rest Spy. Take it to pm's if you need to battle.

Another attack on a person you have probably never met! What you taken over Pats role of attacking bow hunters! Oh that's right you Pat, Jesse and the rest of your BCWF play group are thick as thieves ! So glad I kicked your tired lying asses off my FB ! :-) Just by the way most bow hunters start off as rifle hunters, we have just evolved.

Piperdown
04-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Careful Whonnock Boy ole spy might enlist the help of his super hero buddy 00buck :mrgreen:

OOBuck
04-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Kinda kicking the idea of getting a bow , but i know absolutely nothing about bows , whats good , what to get ect . Not going to use a lot but might shoot a doe or somethin from tree stand ? Dont want to spend a plye but dont want junk.

Quite a few manufactures have very adjustable bows on the market. You don't have to start at 60LBS, hell best bet is to start lower and gain consistency in your ability & stance. The shop selling bows should be able to help as well as a local fish & game club. With newer bows most guys I teach are shooting a consistent 3" group at 20 yards within an hour. Best part about buying a bow with lots of adjustment is you will be able to sell it if you don't stick with it or want to up grade to a better bow. Again stance stance stance!!! I've stood next to newby archers and watched them while shooting at deer for the first time anchor point all over the place one was wearing glass to go hunting and not while practicing it makes a difference!!! Oh ya did I mention stance!! A lot of the big box sporting good stores actually have a range and can get you set up and off to a good start might be worth the drive...

IslandBC
04-11-2016, 08:59 PM
My favourite hunts have all been bow hunts.. Love rifle hunting too but there is just something about bow hunting. Lots of good advice hear. Don't cheap out on broadheads. Get rage . Good luck

NorBC
04-12-2016, 06:36 AM
I started off at 60lbs and worked up to 70 after a couple weeks. I completely agree that may be too much for some. At 6-2, 240lbs and a regular gym goer I find the 70lb draw easily manageable and I would be kicking myself if I had picked the 50-60lb option.

Obviously a well placed arrow at adequate speed beats a poorly placed arrow at any speed.

When I started with compounds I started with 70# for the same reasons as you, people need to understand when starting out in archery flinches and target panic is a very real thing. I made the same mistake because of ego when I jumped into traditional archery and bought a 50# longbow, once again I should have started lower.

now I'm slinging 665gr arrows at 160 fps.. Shot placement trumps speed any day. And there's nothing better than actually watching an arrow arc into the pinwheel under 30 yards.

stinger sounds like a good beginner bow, crank it down to 40# and work on form..

J_T
04-12-2016, 06:44 AM
When I started with compounds I started with 70# for the same reasons as you, people need to understand when starting out in archery flinches and target panic is a very real thing. I made the same mistake because of ego when I jumped into traditional archery and bought a 50# longbow, once again I should have started lower.

now I'm slinging 665gr arrows at 160 fps.. Shot placement trumps speed any day. And there's nothing better than actually watching an arrow arc into the pinwheel under 30 yards.

stinger sounds like a good beginner bow, crank it down to 40# and work on form..Warms my heart. I'm so pleased when I see guys using heavier arrows. I understand speed is amazing. There is just some real truth to having weight behind that cutting head. I used to shoot a 700 gr arrow at 190fps out of my 65lb recurve. The performance wasn't the best (just too much arc) but when I brought it down to 640gr matched to the 65lb bow it was great. I use 550 gr in my 55lb compound.

I also slide a piece of polyprop rope up the inside of the arrow shaft. Full length, gives me about 100gr extra weight. I see a significant improvement with that rope and how it improves the consistency in arrow flight. I also add a 50 or 100 gr brass insert at the front. Keeps the weight forward.

Keep your arrow weight up when you can. Its a good recommendation.

NorBC
04-12-2016, 09:24 AM
Warms my heart. I'm so pleased when I see guys using heavier arrows. I understand speed is amazing. There is just some real truth to having weight behind that cutting head. I used to shoot a 700 gr arrow at 190fps out of my 65lb recurve. The performance wasn't the best (just too much arc) but when I brought it down to 640gr matched to the 65lb bow it was great. I use 550 gr in my 55lb compound.

I also slide a piece of polyprop rope up the inside of the arrow shaft. Full length, gives me about 100gr extra weight. I see a significant improvement with that rope and how it improves the consistency in arrow flight. I also add a 50 or 100 gr brass insert at the front. Keeps the weight forward.

Keep your arrow weight up when you can. Its a good recommendation.

yes half my arrow weight is the first 3".

Rope in the shaft is s new one I've never heard.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-16-2016, 08:30 AM
well Far be it from me to be the elitest Bow hunter

There are many products out there ... you can buy a ready to shoot package for fairly cheap but your gonna want to up grade your accesories rather quickly ... sight rest stab arrows

go to a shop that will let you fondle and shoot as many as possible and base your decision on personal feel

I target shoot with an Elite Brand Energy 35 and I hunt with a Hoyt Vector Turbo

Both are 35" inches axel to axel and are parallel limb design ... meaning the risere is almost as lont as the ATA ... thus being naturally more stable than an older model design with recurve limbs of the same ATA ... I find the 35" just as stable as my old 2006 model Hoyt Pro-tec with the 3000 limbs at 42" ATA

the grip is my make it or break it ... I personally like a high wrist narrow grip ... the factory hunting grips are for the most part too fat for me ... I actually prefer side plates or direct off the riser.

Draw cycle is another factor to look at ... how the cams cycle up to peek weight and how it dumps into the valley as well if you like a solid back wall or a spongy one .... being a newbie those terms might be a tad over your head ...

the design of the cam dictates how fast in the draw cycle peak weight is achieved ... my 70 pound Elite feels the same as 50 pounds Bowtech Ally because of the way the cams are designed as it ramps up slowly in comparison to my Hoyt ... the differance is I shoot my Elite all day long without fatiuge as my hoyt I wouldnt be able to as it ramps up much quicker and stays there longer (speed ratings show this as my Elite is rated for 327-330 and my Hoyt is rated for 340 fps)