PDA

View Full Version : Sat Phones

Rubicon500
06-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Satellite Phones.....How much does it typically cost for a 16 day sheep hunt to rent a satelite phone ? Trying to figure out if its worth it to buy a phone or just rent one each year.

Kirby
06-04-2007, 09:50 PM
If your gonna buy one wait awhile. We are having some serious issues with coverage right now, some of the companies are in big changes.

Kirby

Benthos
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
i've also been having some major troubles with the globalstar. but, the iridium phones seem to be working fine

BCrams
06-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Globalstar sats are not working very well right now and you could end up waiting a long time before you get any service. It is just about pointless to pack one around right now.

You might need to do it like the old timers, don't worry about a sat phone and just go hunt.

Globalstar is in the process of putting more satellites up to restore the service as before.

Kirby
06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Globalstar is in the process of putting more satellites up to restore the service as before.

Last I heard it would be into the fall before they were even starting to switch over. If I am packing one this year it won't be globalstar.

Kirby

BCrams
06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Last I heard it would be into the fall before they were even starting to switch over. If I am packing one this year it won't be globalstar.

Kirby

Thats right.

Mik
06-04-2007, 11:03 PM
What is the difference between the Irridium & Globestar sat phones? I have'nt done much research on the net & was going to buy one on ebay closer to the fall hunting season. they rent out at $175/week.

srupp
06-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Hmmm... Globalstar is pathetic and totally unreliable..we use them at work for remote notification and getting assistance..and we are not getting through on 70% of our calls..a waste of time and $$$$$ in my opinion...and yes they have "said" that more satalites are scheduled to be sent up... but they are very expensive and seem to be falling out of service faster than they can even consider putting them up...

They spread out the remaining satalites to keep some sort of service up..but by spacing them further apart it makes the system very unreliable...

jakerazer
06-05-2007, 06:03 AM
We did a 2 week trip last year and decided to buy a used iridium and then sell it after the trip. It worked very well. It even works in the far north were Globalstar coverage is basically non-existent. Contact infosat for more info on plans ect. It's not cheep by any means but it sure is nice
Knowing you have a way out when somebody is injured or gets sick.
I also bought one of those folding mini fabric solar panels from canadian tire and a seal case. The panel would charge the phone up very well and was very light and compact and the case keeps the phone from getting smashed.

srupp
06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
more reliable than globalstar we just bring in our vey own Paramedic...for the bad news..thats me...no rest for the wicked..:cry:

Steven

30-06
06-05-2007, 05:14 PM
the globalstar one we just bought is the smallest on the market. if you do rent/buy one make it a globalstar.they have a thing where you pay 600$ up front and you get 600 minutes for a whole calendar year.then if you dont use all ur 600 you loose them and start out again..one use of a sat phone is worth everypenny

30-06
06-05-2007, 05:15 PM
there is only 1 strip in the world that a globalstar dosent work and that is in like brazil the guy said....

Schmaus
06-05-2007, 05:17 PM
there is only 1 strip in the world that a globalstar dosent work and that is in like brazil the guy said....

Did you read any of the rest of this thread?

BlacktailStalker
06-05-2007, 07:00 PM
After reading this, I've been looking at the Iridium 9505A satellite phone. Seems the best route. I like the idea of being able to buy only 75 mins for under $100 that are good for one month, which is the only time I'd use it, on my 2 big hunting trips per year, one of which will only be in remote country.

30-06
06-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Did you read any of the rest of this thread?

ya and i think the guy who has owned lots,used lots,sold loads,researched lots, knows what he is talking about...

Rubicon500
06-05-2007, 08:02 PM
ya and i think i guy who has owned lots,used lots,sold loads,researched lots, knows what he is talking about...

hahah this is coming from a 16 year old. Sure young to be selling and using satelite phones for so long.

rgv
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I own four globalstars, the service in northern BC is better than it was this time last year, but not perfect.

Having said that, I have not experienced absolutely no service , if you are in a clear area and can wait 10 minutes or so for satellite coverage.

I guess if you are expecting cellular-like service, you will be dissapointed, but I started out relying on SBX-11's and CP-24 SSB radios, so I regard getting a call in via globalstar to be pretty demn convenient, even if I have to try a few times.

I only wish they offered an "emergency-only" type plan, as you are stuck in Canada with $50/month and a year contract.

30-06
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
hahah this is coming from a 16 year old. Sure young to be selling and using satelite phones for so long.

ya cuz i said i was selling and using them for so long right???..as it saids the sales guy at the store

Rubicon500
06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
hahah well now that you re-typed your post it makes more sense...read what I quoted there budd, Sure sounded like you were talking about yourself not a salesmen. huked on fonics werkd fur me :mrgreen:

30-06
06-05-2007, 08:28 PM
i put HE replaced I..typo..i changed it so maybe you could understand it ,,,re-typed..look atter again..1 word changed from when u quoted it...just a HUGE re-type eh

Kirby
06-05-2007, 09:40 PM

He gave you a line. I use globalstar alot, they are what i have used for the last several years. The service sucks. I couldn't get service in the center of Kamloops. You wanna question it come on out with me, I'd love to see how all of the sudden the service increases. There are guys here who use them constantly and in the field that are bitching about them, we don't say this stuff to pass the time, we say it cause WE have the field time to back it up.

Kirby

Benthos
06-05-2007, 10:02 PM
well i can say this. i was maybe an hour north of pg in the bush last week and could not get any service with a globalstar. about a month before that i was in the peace near dawson creek and i could not get service with a globalstar

i think us guys who are actually in the field using them know if they get service or not, especially better than some kid selling phones in a store

scoot
06-06-2007, 12:11 AM
I have used globalstar over the past couple years in various places in northern BC. Up Ft Nelson way last year, on the top of a mountain, we would wait sometimes two hours to get service. I spoke to one of their oporators in July before we went hunting then, she said in October their service would be way better. BS. It did not work any better last week than two years ago. They keep saying it will get better but it does not.

30-06. They sales guy you talked to is full of crap. I have operated these phones all the way from Bella-Coola to north of Ft. Nelson and everywhere between, they are POS.

GoatGuy
06-06-2007, 06:52 AM
There's been talk about Globalstar fixing that problem for a couple years.

I've used both and the Globalstar coverage is garbage - better off taking a cell phone or an extra shell - better yet I'd simply reccomend not heading north or leaving cell service for hunting season. :wink:

I had an Iridium last summer and so did all the other guys -worked well, reliable and didn't drop calls/no service all the time like the globalstar junker that I brought up with me.

southpaw
06-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey Rubicon Sat Phones Are For Women And Children.let's Demodernize And Enjoy Peace And Quiet For A Couple Of Weeks.

tuchodi
06-08-2007, 06:31 AM
We have used the Globalstar since 1999 north of Ft Nelson for hunting. 3 of my hunting partners own them and they started out OK but the last 2 years they have been getting progressively worse for coverage and dropped calls. Last year it got so bad that we just stopped using them. I hope they fix the problem for this Sept or we may have to buy the Iridiam's. I haven't look at the Iridiams but if anyone has one of these what model do you have and how has it worked for you.

hunter1947
06-08-2007, 07:02 AM
I put a post up regarding sat phones a few months back ,it is just to costly for me ,so i backed out on getting one ,buying a used one and paying for the server would be the way to go if i did decide to get one.

fuzzwilkens
06-09-2007, 01:15 AM
i had an iridium 9505A for a couple of years and it worked well outdoors in Canada, the UK and Africa.

David Heitsman
06-10-2007, 10:16 PM
I have had a Global Star phone for a few years now. This last fall in Region 7 I could barely ever get out and then only for a brief minute or maybe two. It never used to be that way.

I have to buy another one this summer and the Global Star phone is 2/3's the size of the last model I had. Retail is $1000 and that's what I paid
6 - 7 years ago for the first one.

My contract is after 6 months of use I can de-activate it keeping the plan dormant for $17 / month. So I normally activate mid August and cancel it out in January.

scott
06-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I only wish they offered an "emergency-only" type plan, as you are stuck in Canada with $50/month and a year contract.

that's what the PLB sat beacons are for. no monthly cost.

StoneChaser
06-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Used Globalstar for years...getting worse all the time. I'm around them year round, and wouldn't give $5 for one right now... they absolutely suck!

Dropped calls (if you can get out) are the norm, not the exception.

I sat on a mountain top for 2 hours last year trying to get out....dropped the call a few times.

Last year trying to get ahold of the float plane, I had to try numerous times...dropped a ton of calls and had a bill for over $40 in airtime before I finally carried on a decent conversation with the pilot...just to be dropped again!

They promise change, but I'm not holding my breath.....

srupp
06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Mpotzold..I may be able to let you know what to "expect' West of Williams Lake..I live there. And the GLOBALSTAR is in all our "company cars" PROVINCIAL AMBULANCES....and as I said we have repeatadly asked why the service of these sat phones are getting so bad..as I also said the reliability is well under 30% and I am in those vehicles almost 6 days a week....:icon_frow past 3 years steadily poorer and poorer reliability and when we NEED THEM we REALLY need them..doesnt matter..they STILL WONT AND DONT WORK and not worth carrying IMHO.

BlacktailStalker
06-11-2007, 03:47 PM
So many problems with Globalstar, why arent people switching to Iridium then ??

StoneChaser
06-11-2007, 04:13 PM
So many problems with Globalstar, why arent people switching to Iridium then ??

I've arranged a Demo in September in the Cassiars....going to take an Iridium and a Global Star for 2 weeks....see how they stack up!

BlacktailStalker
06-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Nice. Will be reading the results of that.

WoodOx
06-11-2007, 11:32 PM
So them, after reading this entire thread i would presume an iridium would be the one to go with?

Sounds like neither are perfect, but iridium are much better?

WoodOx
07-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Where in Kelowna can i look into sat phones? Telus only has globalstar, but it sounds like it is about as dependable as a whistle on my backpack to get emergency help.

BlacktailStalker
07-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Stonechaser, how did the Sat phone test go ??

WoodOx
07-21-2007, 02:38 PM
It aint quite September yet bts :S

sako7mm
07-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Go with the iridium phone if you can afford it, the sattelites for the iridium system are owned by the us military and are placed in a stationary orbit all over the globe. Apparently you may not get a sat. if they "need them elsewhere" but from what I have heard to date that it is very reliable and you will have no problems get a call out. The global star is losing sats everywhere and hence they have increased the loop pattern and spaced out the sats in a bigger orbit pattern. They are supposed to be putting up new satattelites to fix the problem, but they are burning out faster than they are being replaced. I know that the Provincial Govt is looking at getting the irdium system and BC Parks is starting to get a few.

I have no idea on costs except that it is suppossed to be expensive, but safety is worth any price in my books.:-D

WoodOx
07-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I think its about $1000 initally, plus a one year contract at $50/month. After that you keep the phone and renew as you need it.

Anyone know where I can get/look into an Iridium around kelowna?

BlacktailStalker
07-22-2007, 09:58 AM
Ah yes, September. I knew that lol.
Have you seen my baseball !?!

kennyg826
07-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Srupp, I know what you mean, I'm a ff. Don't put out too many fires but never know when first aid will be needed. Good on ya for what you do. Respectfully, Ken.

srupp
07-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks Kenny...only 2more years till retirement..have 32 years in now..

Steven

30-06
07-22-2007, 09:38 PM
we payed 1000$ for the phone.then 600/yr. which is 600 minutes for the whole year.we havent had problems with it since we got are's.iyts Globalstar

David Heitsman
10-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Resurecting an old thread here i realize, but I just hung up from Global Star requesting some help.

On my recent Tuchodi trip the service was virtually non existant and if you could get thru the call duration was 1 minute maximum.

I took the new phone back to my vendor but they indicated that I needed to talk to Global Star about a credit.

Global Star has just called me back and has the following offer.

They will rent you an Irridium for 3 years at 40 / month and 1.29 per minute. (Thx but no thanx.)

They told me that on Monday 10/29 they are putting up four more satelittes and there should be a noticable improvement. There is also 4 more slated for November and that by June 2010 all service will be restored. (2010 are you serious?)

They now have a new plan where you can talk as you want for .49 cents per minute with no charge on the months where you don't use it. I will keep the phone a bit longer and see if it gets any better.

GoatGuy
10-19-2007, 03:49 PM
They told me that on Monday 10/29 they are putting up four more satelittes and there should be a noticable improvement. There is also 4 more slated for November and that by June 2010 all service will be restored. (2010 are you serious?)

They've been saying that since 2005. :lol:

One of the pilots brought his up last year (BC-Yukon border) - junk, never worked.

Spotless service with Iridium.

whitetailsheds
10-19-2007, 04:27 PM
A buddy rents sat phones to, primarily people in the patch, but will, if they're not all out, to others. He has given up on Global Star for many years of poor service and going Iridium. So far, all reports are great. Can personally speak of Global Star as well, and experiencing poor, unreliable service. Scary if an emergency did occur, that's why I packed the thing around.

Lil Buck
10-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Iridium here too....Global sucks hind quarters........

lb:twisted:

gearjunkierob
10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
We have traditionally used Globalstar phones at work and they worked ok up until a few years ago. You might as well carry around a brick in your pack rather than a globalstar right now, they are just useless.

Because the Globalstars were so bad my employers had to lease some Iridium phones to allow employees to check in/out. The Iridiums work suprisingly well, better than the globalstars ever did. If you have the option I'd go Iridium for sure. I think rental is the way to go for occaisional use. The phones start for $1000 and up to purchase and the service is not cheap either :-).

MIL720
10-20-2007, 09:17 AM
rented one this year for $300 a month/or $150 a week.Go with iridium NOT globalstar.