PDA

View Full Version : Turkey - Elkford, Sparwood, or Elko?

P11
04-08-2016, 06:25 AM
Hey Fellas,

I'm flying in from Ontario for the first time to hunt in BC and I'm really exciting to experience the topography and wildlife. At the moment I have 3 places in mind for bumping into turkeys but I'm not sure if these areas have any or are even prime habitats for them.

My original spot is just north of Elkford but I'm worried it might be a little too north for them. The second spot is a little south east of Sparwood, and my last option would be south east of Elko. I'll be driving in from Calgary Airport and really have no idea what to expect, I'm also a little curious how much colder it is climbing about 2000ft of elevation to get a good glassing spot.

Thanks in advance!

-Peter

ramcam
04-08-2016, 07:13 AM
I live and hunt around Elkford and have never seen a turkey north of Elkford, how ever south by Grave lake seems to hold some turkeys. I hope this helps!

Mikey Rafiki
04-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Very few pockets of turkey in the Elk Valley. If south east of Sparwood means the Corbin Road area, maybe some birds there but I haven't seen any. Better off in the trench.

Sharpish
04-08-2016, 10:04 AM
I saw loads of turkeys last fall in Creston area ....

blackbart
04-08-2016, 11:21 AM
The Elk Valley is prime habitat for rednecks, which although similar are different than gobblers:)

j270wsm
04-08-2016, 11:56 AM
There are turkeys on the lower road( old highway between Sparwood and line creek) but I don't know if there is a season for them or if they ever leave private property.

just looked at last yes regs. There is an open season for the area you asked about, but I'd say your wasting your time looking in that area

riflebuilder
04-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Best turkey hunting in the EK is Creston or the south end of the Trench right near the US border. A lot of turkeys made it through the winter so the numbers are up. Lots of Birds up near Invermere on the east side of the valley. Really in pockets. Good numbers on the westside of Koocanusa lake again near the border. Not a lot of birds near Sparwood and Elkford.

Lillypuff
04-08-2016, 08:41 PM
go to koocanusa

Rackmastr
04-08-2016, 08:54 PM
None of the above to be honest......

Head west further and south.

300H&H
04-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Along the BC Washington boarder.

P11
04-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the tips boys, any thoughts on Akamina-Kishinena Provincial Park? Looks look an amazing place with probably little to no hunting pressure.

Rackmastr
04-09-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tips boys, any thoughts on Akamina-Kishinena Provincial Park? Looks look an amazing place with probably little to no hunting pressure.

An amazing place for sure....but wouldn't be where I'd be going for turkeys either and is a long ways down there.

Tons of info and not a bunch of secrets on here, but if you're concentrating on the far east of the Koots, then I'd say you should be looking a lot closer to areas like Skookumchuck, Invermere, Fort Steele, Grasmere, Wardner, Jaffray, etc.

P11
04-09-2016, 11:56 AM
An amazing place for sure....but wouldn't be where I'd be going for turkeys either and is a long ways down there.

Tons of info and not a bunch of secrets on here, but if you're concentrating on the far east of the Koots, then I'd say you should be looking a lot closer to areas like Skookumchuck, Invermere, Fort Steele, Grasmere, Wardner, Jaffray, etc.

Awesome, what are your thoughts on flathead valley? The only reason I'm asking is because I would ideally not like to bump into another hunter, part of the fun of it for me is being completely isolated in undisturbed country.

How do Tom's typically behave in mountainous regions? Do they like valley bottoms or do they prefer being high up near the tree line?

Rackmastr
04-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Awesome, what are your thoughts on flathead valley? The only reason I'm asking is because I would ideally not like to bump into another hunter, part of the fun of it for me is being completely isolated in undisturbed country.

How do Tom's typically behave in mountainous regions? Do they like valley bottoms or do they prefer being high up near the tree line?

I'd think with your current approach of looking for those far out of the way spots, you'll most likely not see a hunter but may not see a turkey either. The flathead is awesome country, but I cant say it would be my choice for turkeys personally.

Theres a reason I posted the spots I did...but if you want to get into some remote country, there is a ton of it out there, just don't get your hopes up on finding turkeys in some of them. The areas I posted are much better spots if you want to actually find turkeys IMO.

P11
04-09-2016, 12:26 PM
I'd think with your current approach of looking for those far out of the way spots, you'll most likely not see a hunter but may not see a turkey either. The flathead is awesome country, but I cant say it would be my choice for turkeys personally.

Theres a reason I posted the spots I did...but if you want to get into some remote country, there is a ton of it out there, just don't get your hopes up on finding turkeys in some of them. The areas I posted are much better spots if you want to actually find turkeys IMO.

Thanks for the info, I'll start planning my trip around these spots! Can't argue with local knowledge!

Rackmastr
04-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll start planning my trip around these spots! Can't argue with local knowledge!

You wont run into a ton of hunters and you'll see some amazing country regardless, that I can promise you. Good luck!

genockous
04-09-2016, 03:27 PM
Gold reek road near kookanoosa

j270wsm
04-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Don't know if there are any turkeys in the flathead. Probably way too much snow for you to get anywhere.

Kelsosloth
04-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Christina lake? Rock creek?

338 whisper
04-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Elko down past the mill

Kelsosloth
04-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Good information about region 4! Too bad I'll be in the illusion region 8. Where there's a open season but there must be a lot of ghost bird because no one has ever seen one.

j270wsm
04-10-2016, 05:51 PM
There are turkeys around Christina lake. I used to see them right by the turn off to the golf course/USA.

Kelsosloth
04-10-2016, 06:25 PM
There are turkeys around Christina lake. I used to see them right by the turn off to the golf course/USA.
yeah christina lake is where I have decided i will head this year. hopefully finding some huntable land wont be too hard. don't know the area very well.

riflebuilder
04-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Saw about 35 turkeys this morning with 7 or 8 big Tom's strutting.

Rackmastr
04-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Saw about 35 turkeys this morning with 7 or 8 big Tom's strutting.

They sure have been gobbling like crazy and strutting a bunch this year whenever I've seen them. In the past week I've seen a handful of nice Tom's as well and all were going nuts around hens!

P11
04-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the tips fellas! Got us a dandy Tom.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/p11/IMG_0254_zpsoq7egqag.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/p11/media/IMG_0254_zpsoq7egqag.jpg.html)

toad
04-21-2016, 09:00 PM
nice work!

j270wsm
04-21-2016, 09:09 PM
Nice, where did you end up hunting?

Rhyno
04-22-2016, 05:41 AM
Awesome! Congrats on your success, sounds like your internet scouting paid off.

P11
04-22-2016, 07:06 AM
Nice, where did you end up hunting?

Just north of Sparwood.

Would love to hunt some big game out there but unfortunately its way too expensive for a non-res.

j270wsm
04-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Thought I recognized the mountains in the back ground. When do you head home?

P11
04-23-2016, 10:18 AM
Thought I recognized the mountains in the back ground. When do you head home?

Already back home, left on the 18th. Sadly....

P11
09-17-2016, 04:03 PM
I'm back again guys! Been here for 2 days and I haven't seen a single critter...in guessing prime hunting season has spooked everything? Any recommendations of where I might be able to bump into some fall Tom's near Grave Lake or south of Sparewood?

CarsonFrey
03-19-2021, 03:48 PM
Hey Man, I fly out from Ontario to bc this spring for a similar hunt. I’ve had it booked for months and just stumbled across this forum now. Shoot me a text if you have time, I’d like to know more about your experience. 613-334-0702. Thanks

Dour
03-19-2021, 08:50 PM
Get a hold of a local guide they will help you out not sure what the deal is with the VID and guide services. But I’m sure someone is willing to take your money

j270wsm
03-19-2021, 09:12 PM
No turkeys in Elkford. Very small population halfway between Elkford and Sparwood.....mostly on private property.
Best bet is to hunt the west side of koocanusa.