PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Range for Sleeping bags

kush
04-07-2016, 06:39 PM
If a sleeping bag is rated at 1deg Celcius,
What is the usual range you would be comfortable in with these different variables:

- In a tent, solo , Rain Fly on, winter sleeping pad, toque, extra clothing layer
vs
- In tent, solo, Fly off, light duty sleeping pad, minimal clothes, unzipped bag

What do yo think the comfortable max/min temperatures would be?

wos
04-07-2016, 06:50 PM
In my personal opinion and experience a 1 degree bag means you won't die if the temp dips to 1 degree. You probably won't have a great night sleep and will be looking forward to a cup of hot coffee in the morning.

kush
04-07-2016, 07:04 PM
In my personal opinion and experience a 1 degree bag means you won't die if the temp dips to 1 degree. You probably won't have a great night sleep and will be looking forward to a cup of hot coffee in the morning.

is that in a tent, in just base layers, decent pad?

srupp
04-07-2016, 07:07 PM
Hmm everyone has a different matabolism. ...and that changes with caloric intake..also use of therma rest..insulation from the ground...also tge use of a balaclava for heat escapement from neck and head..change one or all and the range from cold to overheated is possible
I use exellent tents..mountain hardware..exellent therma rests..take balaclava. .
All that aside I know I sleep on the warm side..however on a oct moose hunt where the temp may get to --- 4 ...or -- 6 ...I select one of my sleeping bags that is rated....-- 10...-- 15...it can always be left unzipped as a blanket..or foot end unzipped

If im expecting --1 temp....I would be prepared with ..--10 bag..err on caution. .
The amount of physical activity also depletes the amount of calories left to generate heat...
Srupp

RiverRunner
04-07-2016, 08:11 PM
this may help too….
http://www.backcountry.com/explore/warmth-to-the-wise-temperature-ratings-for-sleeping-bags-decoded

HarryToolips
04-07-2016, 08:49 PM
Hmm everyone has a different matabolism. ...and that changes with caloric intake..also use of therma rest..insulation from the ground...also tge use of a balaclava for heat escapement from neck and head..change one or all and the range from cold to overheated is possible
I use exellent tents..mountain hardware..exellent therma rests..take balaclava. .
All that aside I know I sleep on the warm side..however on a oct moose hunt where the temp may get to --- 4 ...or -- 6 ...I select one of my sleeping bags that is rated....-- 10...-- 15...it can always be left unzipped as a blanket..or foot end unzipped

If im expecting --1 temp....I would be prepared with ..--10 bag..err on caution. .
The amount of physical activity also depletes the amount of calories left to generate heat...
Srupp
I personally agree with this...I've slept in around -15 C with my -20 rated sleeping bag for example, and had to have my beleclava on with a couple layers to be close to warm enough..

wos
04-07-2016, 08:50 PM
For me 1 degree with no wind chill (in a tent) on the ground with a short thin sleeping pad with minimal clothing in a 1 degree bag I'm not sleeping I'm shivering.

HD95
04-08-2016, 07:06 AM
The reality is that bag manufacturers embellish their bag temperature ratings,much the same as truck / car manufacturers embellish their mpg ratings.

300rum700
04-08-2016, 08:03 AM
Some manufacturers embellish and others are way under rated. WM numbers are on spec or slightly underrated while most of the cheaper bags are overrated, a good pad helps a lot. I wouldn't be taking a cheaper 1 deg C bag anywhere north any time of the year

BgBlkDg
04-08-2016, 08:50 AM
I had Feathered Friends, a top maker, make me a ultralight bag in 1989, to go with my custom Marmot Mountain Equipment GT-down bag I had made in 1978 and used with perfect results until it was stolen in Dec. 1999. I also used my Camp 7 down bag from 1978 to the early 2000s.

The FF and C7 bags were rated at 30*F and I was cold at that temp on several occasions, while my MME bag, rated at -20*F, worked for me down to -40*F, a couple times with some baselayers worn inside.

I have owned and used more than a dozen bags and used others, all of the "name" ones, WM, Valandre, FF, ID originals and Fairydown as well as those from the UK and Europe. I spent an average of 150 nights per year in bags for many years and here are my suggestions for whatever help they give you.

1. For a general purpose BC bag, I would get the best down bag with "microfiber" shell that I could afford, rated to 0*F and this will cover most situations, used under a tarp most times and in a good tent in colder conditions.

2. Make SURE it is NOT too tight and is long enough, my current first choices would be either a WM Kodiak or the superb Valandre Shocking Blue.

3. For most guys, for colder conditions, I would go right to the WM Cypress, a bag much like my custom original ID Himalayan and this will work from 20*F down to -40*F and the quality is simply outstanding.

In fact, if you can afford it, a combo of a WM Alpinlite with the extender and a Cypress, will cover everything in BC and with proper care will outlast you.

Your sleeping "roll" is among the most important items of gear that you need in serious BC hunting and WM or Valandre, are the top makers now.

HD95
04-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Dewey, no question you know your shit,,,,Montbell is a contender as well.I've spent a lot of nights in the northern mountains,never been cold.I run a silk bag liner too.

swampthing
04-08-2016, 05:00 PM
I roll a mont bell -5 bag. It just keeps me from dying at -1

HD95
04-08-2016, 07:48 PM
I roll a mont bell -5 bag. It just keeps me from dying at -1

I bought a montbell rated at 0 degrees fahrenheit/-18c
You should have spent a bit more dough