PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops area black bears

plumberjustin
04-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Hey friends, my 4th season trying for a black bear this year. Nearly connected last season, but was not meant to be. I want to get out and explore some new areas. Looking in my backroad mapbook, looks like there's a huge expanse of roads in the area east of stump lake, south of Roche lake. Wondering if any kamloops locals can chime in and offer some Intel on the area?? As it will be my first time around there, wondering if there's any concentration of bears around?? Much private land to worry about?? I'm not opposed to traveling a little further to get into good bear territory. Maybe I should focus my efforts more on the Merritt/Lagan Lake side of the highway?? Any info would be greatly appreciated, PM's always welcome. Thanks in advance����

Darksith
04-06-2016, 09:10 AM
its all DLR private land...theres a few roads though. Still a bit early for the bears unless you are right down in the valley.

Ltbullken
04-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Try cut blocks higher up later in Apr. Look for clover and grasses sprouting up along roads, tracks and openings. Stay away from the open grassland areas - too dry. I'd personally try somewhere north of Kamloops but I have come across bear sign south of Kamloops too. Cooler and wetter as you go north, which is better bear country IMO. Think wetter country with cutblocks whatever you do. Good luck.

kamloopshunter25
04-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Only seen a few bears out that way. Like Ltbullken said, better to head north.

plumberjustin
04-06-2016, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I've spent some time fishing up around knouff lake, not that familiar with the area, but seems like a great place to focus my efforts.

Jagermeister
04-06-2016, 02:03 PM
The slopes around Kamloops are greening up quite nicely now. Bears are just coming out and the first thing on their mind is a nice belly full of grass to purge their system.
With this in mind, places that you want to hunt are those areas with south facing slopes. The best are on power line right of way. Not all are on public land, so you might have to get permission to hunt on some areas.
Maybe try the Surrey lake area toward the end of the month.

scotty30-06
04-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Hey Justin I notice your from langley.....why don't you hunt bears a lot closer to home?

RackStar
04-06-2016, 02:30 PM
Lots around reg 2. Just can't drive around need to get on foot. Away from the yahoos. I might go to a little spot of mine for a hike on sat.

suburbanpat
04-06-2016, 02:32 PM
No bears in Kamloops. Better stay in Langley.

plumberjustin
04-06-2016, 04:09 PM
RackStar/Scotty30-06, I'd like nothing more than to hunt bears around my own backyard. It seems that nearly every region 2 spot I checked out last season was overrun with off-roaders and recreational shooters. I love to hike, can't stand road hunting. Even when I did get way off the beaten path I didn't find any bear sign. Wrong place, wrong time I suppose. I'll just keep plugging away, I'm determined to get my first bear.

swampthing
04-06-2016, 06:25 PM
That knouff lake you spoke of has a decent bear population.

walks with deer
04-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Lived in region 2 most my life if I really wanted a bear would drive from region 3 to 2 to hunt them

justachip
04-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Look for dandelions where they are out on the right of ways or cut blocks you will find bears.They love them.

SR80
04-07-2016, 06:24 AM
roche area is great for bears, closer to the highway is all private but once your halfway to roche all kinds of good roads pop up. Took my biggest bear to date on one of the power lines down there. Good luck.

Jagermeister
04-07-2016, 09:22 AM
i forgot to mention. When the deer start birthing the fawns, pack a deer call that is capable of doing the fawn call. Just make sure that you have your back covered because any bear in the area is going to be high-assing it in for fawn mignon.

Ltbullken
04-07-2016, 09:34 AM
i forgot to mention. When the deer start birthing the fawns, pack a deer call that is capable of doing the fawn call. Just make sure that you have your back covered because any bear in the area is going to be high-assing it in for fawn mignon.

And coyote, bobcat, lynx, cougar, ravens...