PDA

View Full Version : Willy442's Passing

bigwhiteys
04-05-2016, 08:51 PM
It's with a heavy heart I post this... Willy442, My Dad... passed away on Sunday morning. He made many connections here over the years sharing his points of view and arguing back and forth about how things should be when it came to game management and hunting whether you liked them or not. His passion for hunting (especially sheep) captivated me from a young age and now my 3 boys are starting to get into it. He's ultimately left me a better man and also what I believe to be a patient and ethical hunter who believes in the merritt of a fair chase with the utmost of respect for the animals and the country we pursue them in. My boys will learn the same qualities, so for that I cannot complain. Thanks Dad.

Here are a few photos of him during his best days. This first one is probably one of my all-time favorites. Although he was no longer in "sheep shape" when I really got into it so we never got to sheep hunt together, I know the moment he's experiencing in this photo is one we've shared many times in different places. He was a hard guy not to love if you sat down and got to know him. He was my rock, my protector, my hero. I was so lucky to have a great relationship with him so for that I also cannot complain.

He led a life with many physical challenges and despite the poor odds he always persevered and continued doing what he loved until his body wasn't able. The doctors said he had an unbelievably strong heart and I know this to be true in so many more ways than that. Ultimately he's going to end up on a mountain up there again somewhere because I'm taking him myself to a place our family held close to our hearts. Maybe one day, one of you will stumble upon the small memorial I plan to build and you can tip your cap to a man who shared your passion for the high country too. Love ya Dad.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dad-and-caribou.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dad-caribou.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dadmoose.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dads-ram.jpg

Fisher-Dude
04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Sorry to hear that Carl.

FD & family.

Shooter
04-05-2016, 08:55 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

Gateholio
04-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Condolences, Carl. All the best to you and your family in this tough time. Your Dad got to live some great adventure.

monasheemountainman
04-05-2016, 08:56 PM
May he forever be in the ultimate hunting grounds. Excellent write up for someone who obviously was a great man.

scoutlt1
04-05-2016, 08:57 PM
Condolences to you and your family.

Sounds like you had a great father.....something that so many of us aspire to be.

All the best to you and your yours.

silvertipp
04-05-2016, 08:59 PM
My condolences to you and your family.I was lucky enough to of had a few great talks with willy442

The Hermit
04-05-2016, 08:59 PM
My condolences Carl.

MB_Boy
04-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Condolences to you and your family Carl.

LBM
04-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Thoughts to you and your family.

tuner
04-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Condolences to you and your family, stay strong.

albravo2
04-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Really sorry to hear.

Sounds like a great father and role model. Your kids will reap the rewards.

Whonnock Boy
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear. My condolences to you and your family. He said what was on his mind, and that is something to be admired.

coach
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Sorry to hear this news Carl. Condolences to you and your family.

bighornbob
04-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Carl, sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers with you and the family.

Bhb

bearvalley
04-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Sorry to hear of your dads passing, Carl.
RIP Willy, you were a mountain hunter.

Weatherby Fan
04-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Please accept my condolences Carl, my thoughts are with you and your family, always sad to lose a fellow hunter.
Respectfully
Don
WF

eric
04-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Always wanted to sit down with the man,and BS about Sheep hunting..

My Condolences Carl and Family

yama49
04-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Sorry to here that Carl. RIP Willy442. Read your grandpas book, sounds like your father lived a life he loved...

leadpillproductions
04-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Sorry for your loss

huntcoop
04-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hear Carl, those pictures speak volumes.

RiverOtter
04-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Sorry for your families loss Carl...

moosecaller
04-05-2016, 09:34 PM
My thoughts are with you in your time of need

Bear Chaser
04-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Sad news indeed. I just finished reading your Grandfathers book. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great addition to have your Dads words on paper telling his ends of some of the tales. Your family definitely walked the walk.

Ambush
04-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Condolences to you and your family. The memories will eventually displace most of the pain.

I see the well used Eena TT set up in the background in one photo. When I set mine up for a new season, I'll tip one in salute to your Dad.

dutchie
04-05-2016, 09:51 PM
My condolences to you and your family... We may not have agreed with him all the time, but his passion for the hunters lifestyle and a guides life was one that only few say they actually lead.

I will raise a glass to a man that I never met, but inspired me to become a more of a sheep hunter by learning from his posts.

Sorry for your loos of a inspirational man.

Dutchie

srupp
04-05-2016, 10:06 PM
Sorry for your loss..condolences. ..

Srupp

REMINGTON JIM
04-05-2016, 10:08 PM
My condlences there Carl and your family - its tough losing your DAD ! :cry: I Know - RJ

bigwhiteys
04-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone.

Sorry to here that Carl. RIP Willy442. Read your grandpas book, sounds like your father lived a life he loved...

He certainly did. Glad you liked the book.

Sad news indeed. I just finished reading your Grandfathers book. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great addition to have your Dads words on paper telling his ends of some of the tales. Your family definitely walked the walk.

Thank you. I thought it was a great read too. They definitely embraced the lifestyle.

I see the well used Eena TT set up in the background in one photo. When I set mine up for a new season, I'll tip one in salute to your Dad.

You bet, pretty darn good tents. Mine was a hand me down from my dad and it's still going strong over 20 years later. Thanks again.

I will raise a glass to a man that I never met, but inspired me to become a more of a sheep hunter by learning from his posts.

Thank you sir!

its tough losing your DAD !

That's for sure... Thanks again everyone.

Brambles
04-05-2016, 10:56 PM
My sincere condolences BigW

mpotzold
04-05-2016, 11:12 PM
It's with a heavy heart I post this... Willy442, My Dad... passed away on Sunday morning. He made many connections here over the years sharing his points of view and arguing back and forth about how things should be when it came to game management and hunting whether you liked them or not. His passion for hunting (especially sheep) captivated me from a young age and now my 3 boys are starting to get into it. He's ultimately left me a better man and also what I believe to be a patient and ethical hunter who believes in the merritt of a fair chase with the utmost of respect for the animals and the country we pursue them in. My boys will learn the same qualities, so for that I cannot complain. Thanks Dad.

Here are a few photos of him during his best days. This first one is probably one of my all-time favorites. Although he was no longer in "sheep shape" when I really got into it so we never got to sheep hunt together, I know the moment he's experiencing in this photo is one we've shared many times in different places. He was a hard guy not to love if you sat down and got to know him. He was my rock, my protector, my hero. I was so lucky to have a great relationship with him so for that I also cannot complain.

He led a life with many physical challenges and despite great odds, he always persevered and continued doing what he loved until his body wasn't able. The doctors said he had an unbelievably strong heart and I know this to be true in so many more ways than that. Ultimately he's going to end up on a mountain up there again somewhere because I'm taking him myself to a place our family held close to our hearts. Maybe one day, one of you will stumble upon the small memorial I plan to build and you can tip your cap to a man who shared your passion for the high country too. Love ya Dad.

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dad-and-caribou.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dad-caribou.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dadmoose.jpg

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/images/dads-ram.jpg

What a well written & touching story . It brought a tear in my eye.
All the best in coping with a great loss.

Mik
04-06-2016, 01:49 AM
my condolences to you and your family.

ruger#1
04-06-2016, 02:14 AM
Sorry to hear that Carl. Keep his memory alive on your hunting trips.

boxhitch
04-06-2016, 03:15 AM
Condolences Carl , sad to hear but he will always be alive for you and yours if only in memories and photos.

BgBlkDg
04-06-2016, 04:08 AM
I am deeply saddened to hear this, my first interactions here with the inimitable Willy were rather "brusque" shall we say and we strongly disagreed on certain issues.

However, as time passed, I came to actually like Willy, a fellow "ornery old bugger" and enjoyed and learned from his posts. It came to the point where we would interchange PMs, talking about our personal experiences, living alone in isolated wilderness areas for extended periods, as young guys.

I wish I had met Willy, I think we would have become friends in spite of the differences in our opinions on allocation, etc. as he was the first guy here who openly advocated, as I have done for years, that each hunter only actually kill ONE wild ram per lifetime. I came to and do highly respect Willy and I know I could have learned a lot of bush skills from him and perhaps even taught him a couple.

I also, especially since I returned as BBD, have genuinely missed him here as he had a LOT to teach us and his feisty persona used to make me roar with laughter. Real "mountain men" are usually strong individuals who tend to call a spade a f**king shovel and laugh at political rectitude........

My most sincere condolences, Carl, Willy has gone to the "Valhalla" of true mountain folks and his pain is past while his soul will be close all of your life and those of your boys.

God Bless you and yours, may peace be with you. Dewey aka BBD.

Leaseman
04-06-2016, 06:15 AM
Losing your Father is one of life's worse things.....my condolences to you and your family.

quadrakid
04-06-2016, 06:20 AM
Sorry for your loss,sounds like you had a wonderful dad.

mcmullmar
04-06-2016, 06:51 AM
Sorry for you lost, my thoughts are with you and your family.

wideopenthrottle
04-06-2016, 07:07 AM
deepest condolences....from what you have said he seems like the man (outdoorsman) that we (here) all aspire to be

bigwhiteys
04-06-2016, 07:15 AM
What a well written & touching story . It brought a tear in my eye.
All the best in coping with a great loss.

Thank you....

I am deeply saddened to hear this, my first interactions here with the inimitable Willy were rather "brusque" shall we say and we strongly disagreed on certain issues.

However, as time passed, I came to actually like Willy, a fellow "ornery old bugger" and enjoyed and learned from his posts. It came to the point where we would interchange PMs, talking about our personal experiences, living alone in isolated wilderness areas for extended periods, as young guys.

I wish I had met Willy, I think we would have become friends in spite of the differences in our opinions on allocation, etc. as he was the first guy here who openly advocated, as I have done for years, that each hunter only actually kill ONE wild ram per lifetime. I came to and do highly respect Willy and I know I could have learned a lot of bush skills from him and perhaps even taught him a couple.

I also, especially since I returned as BBD, have genuinely missed him here as he had a LOT to teach us and his feisty persona used to make me roar with laughter. Real "mountain men" are usually strong individuals who tend to call a spade a f**king shovel and laugh at political rectitude........

My most sincere condolences, Carl, Willy has gone to the "Valhalla" of true mountain folks and his pain is past while his soul will be close all of your life and those of your boys.

God Bless you and yours, may peace be with you. Dewey aka BBD.

Thank you for this Dewey... It's the toughest challenge I've had to face yet. He was such a great man. My phone won't stop ringing and my email box is full from friends and connections he'd made over the years. It bothers me that the one right of passage in my family (getting a good ram) has eluded my grasp for the last 10 years and he never got to see me get one. Not even sure if I want to kill one now... I'd almost rather just sit and watch. That might change with more time. Thanks again.

deepest condolences....from what you have said he seems like the man (outdoorsman) that we (here) all aspire to be

Thank you.

Losing your Father is one of life's worse things.....my condolences to you and your family.

I'd have to agree with you there... When my daughter was in the hospital it was horrible but we had hope and she made it through. When my dad went into the hospital, hope just hurt.

M.Dean
04-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Your Dad may be gone, but after reading all these posts, he'll never be forgotten. R.I.P Willy442.

Philcott
04-06-2016, 07:52 AM
It hurts to hear this sad news. I never knew your Dad either but do remember reading many a feisty post here. He had deep conviction in his beliefs and stood stern in them. It sounds like he did a good job raising you up and now it's your turn to take the lead. Make your old man proud in all that you do and remember stay true to yourself in both success and disappointment. I'm sure that's what Willy442 would want.

Rackmastr
04-06-2016, 08:13 AM
Sorry to hear....he seemed like one heck of a knowledgeable sheep and mountain hunter from what I could tell from my short time here in BC and from following posts for several years here with a ton of passion. Condolences to your family.

Ltbullken
04-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Condolences to you and your family. Those are some nice animals he got there.

houndogger
04-06-2016, 08:48 AM
So sorry to hear Carl. I consider myself lucky to have met your dad a few times. A true legend R.I.P. Willy442....
Let me know when you grab a cat tag lets get out.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2016, 09:53 AM
My condolences to you and your family, Carl.
That was an excellent tribute to your Dad. His passion for mountain hunting and high places will live on in you and your boys.
You may not feel like killing a big Stone ram at the moment but I'm sure your passion will return soon and when you finally hold those big horns in your hands I'm sure you will be overwhelmed with emotions. He may not be able to share that with you but his spirit will be with you there on the mountain.

I just teared up writing this as we share a similar story in that I too was also not able to share any mountain hunts with my father.

Keep the passion alive as that's the legacy that Willy has left behind......

Brent

goatdancer
04-06-2016, 11:07 AM
My condolences Carl. Your dad was a very interesting guy on this forum.

bigwhiteys
04-06-2016, 11:32 AM
So sorry to hear Carl. I consider myself lucky to have met your dad a few times. A true legend R.I.P. Willy442....Let me know when you grab a cat tag lets get out.

Yes, I need to do that. Thank you.

when you finally hold those big horns in your hands I'm sure you will be overwhelmed with emotions. He may not be able to share that with you but his spirit will be with you there on the mountain.

You pretty much nailed it right there Brent. It will be a bittersweet moment. He showed me the ropes, I'll get it done one day.

I'm not missing anyone's comments, so if I don't single you out with a reply don't be offended :)

Roe
04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Sorry for your loss. Must be great to have that bond with your dad.

IronNoggin
04-06-2016, 12:08 PM
I want to extend my most Sincere Condolences on the loss of your Father.
I did not know him beyond the forum, but it was east to determine he was a Fine Hunter and True Mountaineer all round.

My thoughts are with you. Remember the good times.
When you least expect it, don't be surprised at feeling his presence beside you in some far flung valley...

Respectfully,
Matt

Arctic Lake
04-06-2016, 12:16 PM
Hello Bigwhiteys

Sorry to hear of your loss ! Have comfort in knowing that you had a very special bond with your father. You will carry your memory of him wherever you go !
Arctic Lake

Rattler
04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
So sorry for your loss Bigwhiteys. Your Dad sounds like he was a true mountain man and lived a life that many of us can only dream of...

His memories will last forever-he will be with you in spirit on your next sheep hunt and just maybe you will connect on your dream ram and know he will be looking down on you with pride.

Seeker
04-06-2016, 12:46 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss Carl. When your high on those mountains chasing those sheep, you will be close once again. With any luck he'll chase that ram your direction! Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Elkhound
04-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Carl.

I too want to express my sympathies to you and the family. We have been here on HBC for a very very long time. And while your dad and many members didnt always see eye to eye. I for one admired and respected his opinion and his willingness to share it. He was very passionate about his wildlife.

Good or bad you always knew where you stood with him. And that is a trait I respect in any man.

Jagermeister
04-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Like others Bigwhiteys, I extend sincere condolences to you and your family.
I remember having a few disagreements with Willy442 as well.
He was a great inspiration to you. Know that his legacy will prevail through his son, his grandsons and future generations.
Dennis

Bugle M In
04-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Sorry for your loss, and best wishes for you and the family during this time.

bigwhiteys
04-06-2016, 02:54 PM
I am sorry to hear of your loss Carl. When your high on those mountains chasing those sheep, you will be close once again. With any luck he'll chase that ram your direction! Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Your post made me laugh a little because my Dad took to calling us "sheep herders" instead of hunters because we keep chasing rams away, lol. It would be fitting if he could chase a pair of crankers in our direction.

I too want to express my sympathies to you and the family. We have been here on HBC for a very very long time. And while your dad and many members didnt always see eye to eye. I for one admired and respected his opinion and his willingness to share it. He was very passionate about his wildlife. Good or bad you always knew where you stood with him. And that is a trait I respect in any man.

Thank you. Yes, it's been a while 10 or 11 years I think. He wouldn't blow smoke that's for sure, he told you what he thought. He was like that in real life too, not just the intrawebs. He was certainly gruff but you just had to break thru that rough exterior and what most people found inside surprised them. He was a very generous man.

campking
04-06-2016, 03:22 PM
From my family to you and yours our deepest condolences, having been there I know exactly what you are going trough.
I thought it would not get easier but it does and I guarantee you he will be with you when you stand above your ram, my dad was.

Call of the Wild
04-06-2016, 03:37 PM
My condolences to you and your family, Carl. Stay strong during this difficult period. I’m sure you’re well surrounded by your family for support.

Your father was a man of great outdoor experiences. Unfortunately, the hunting community lost a man of deep knowledge but he certainly educated you and many others on this forum throughout the years.

Moose Guide
04-06-2016, 03:57 PM
I am so sorry for your great loss.

moosinaround
04-06-2016, 05:14 PM
I am not a sheep hunter, far from it, but I enjoyed reading the banter between your pops and others! You could tell his passion for our sport was genuine, and had the resources integrity as priority. Condolences to you, your family and friends. Sounds like he left his legacy for you and your family in good shape. Moosin

BiG Boar
04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear that Carl. Even though he sometimes rubbed people the wrong way on here, his heart was in the right place. Glad you have such good memories of him. His legacy will live on in your kids.

swampthing
04-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Looks like you grew up with a hell of a dad!! Some great pics of an obviously cool outdoorsman. Sorry for your loss.

RiverOtter
04-06-2016, 06:32 PM
"Sheep Sherriff" was Willy442's subtitle and it always made me chuckle every time I read it.....Definitely a CLASSIC....

killman
04-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Sorry for your lose. Condolences to family and friends.

Shane

Sitkaspruce
04-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Our condolences to you and your family Carl. The days will get easier and although he is gone, he will not be forgotten.

Your dad stood tall and proud in what he believed in or when he told us his views!!

He will be missed in this mixed up forum we call HBC!! RIP Willy!!!

Thanks for letting us know!!

Ken

wiggy
04-06-2016, 08:35 PM
Condalances your dad was the real deal. He will always be there. The memories will always be there
Keep strong

Singleshotneeded
04-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Mine, and my family's condolences to you and yours, on Willy's passing...I can relate Carl, my hunting mentor and great Dad passed away February of 2015. :-(

Xenomorph
04-06-2016, 10:15 PM
Our condolences to you and yours, losing family is always a difficult thing to cope with.

ARC
04-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Carl.

Condolences to you and your family.

whitetailsheds
04-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Sorry to hear this Carl, condolences to you and your family!!
Have to reiterate alot of many posts already...your Dad was a man of the mountains!! That was so obvious with his passion and fire he showed on here for sheep and where they live!!
Loved reading his posts, and missed his presence on here!!
His knowledge and experience did nothing but keep my fires going in regards to getting my first ram (17 years).
And his knowledge and experience will be missed!!
I am just finishing up Bob Kjos' book.......your Dad's is sitting in front of me right now.....it's next!! Can't wait to get into it!!
I know you and your boys are going to have an incredible sheep hunting partner at your side!!
Grant

Billy52
04-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Sorry for your loss.

bigwhiteys
04-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Thanks again for all of the words of support everyone. They have meant a lot to our family, I wasn't expecting this. So, thank you.

I am just finishing up Bob Kjos' book.......your Dad's is sitting in front of me right now.....it's next!! Can't wait to get into it!!

That's great! My Grandpa "Red" actually wrote the book, he is still around. my Dad (Bill) does have some stories in there too though.

I know you and your boys are going to have an incredible sheep hunting partner at your side!!

I sure hope so!!!!!

HD95
04-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Carl, sorry to hear about your pa.
Those of us that have been on this forum for awhile got to know your Dad a little bit.
He warned us of the trouble coming down the pipe(FN,allocations issues) in fact he repeatedly warned us,,,,,

floden
04-08-2016, 04:07 PM
My thoughts are with you. It's nice to know you'll never walk alone out there. I'll keep an eye out for your memorial spot

smoothbor
04-12-2016, 09:10 AM
sorry to hear of your recent loss. Your dad was truly a man of passion and commitment. condolences to you and your family in these tough times Carl

trapperRick
04-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Thoughts to you add your's looks like you shared lots of good times

eagle eye
04-12-2016, 08:35 PM
My condolences to you and your family.

300H&H
04-12-2016, 11:43 PM
So sorry for your loss. RIP Willy442

upcomer
04-17-2016, 09:50 PM
Sorry for your loss.