PDA

View Full Version : doe lottery and bambi bbq

capt hook
04-05-2016, 06:55 PM
my buddy and i were discussing our chances and the what if,s .....if we won a doe tag.
is there a limit to age ? as in.... can we pop a real young yearling?
and then....how long would be necessary to hang it before BBQ
we were thinking it would be real fun to do a whole bbq Bambi ...build a big rock pit bbq and make a adjustable big ass grill ....cover in fall sliced apples...yummmy....getting hungry thinking about it.

markomoose
04-05-2016, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure your cool with it?I've never seen anything in the regs.My son took a small doe last fall and no knife was required after cooking .Mmmm Cheers Mark

two-feet
04-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Its not doe, its antlerless.

tinhorse
04-05-2016, 07:35 PM
Yep any age, just no antlers

finngun
04-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Best of the best meat,,some years ago i had doe draw,,well last hunting day i see a doe with two bambies,,,no shooting mama ..i hit one of bambi,,my hunting buddy was joking...both dinners ya get out of that bambi are gonna be really good,,was he ever right,,,
Well i got about 25lb exellent meat out of bambi..quality,,,not quantity...cheers f..g

04-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Wow.......

scoutlt1
04-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Wow.......

Ya....... :P

finngun
04-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Wow.......

Why?? Wow........some hunters value quality meat over huge amount of it,,,im one of those..

HarryToolips
04-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Its not doe, its antlerless.
Yep...and yes as you hang it you can start sayin pieces off and eating..have done it lots in hunting camp, saw off a piece of the hangin deer and throw it on the fire..

huckleberry
04-05-2016, 10:18 PM
I'll go along with "Wow". It's legal, but why take a bambi when it could become a descent sized critter next year. Some hunters just have to put a hoe in something to feel like their successful.

Whonnock Boy
04-05-2016, 10:33 PM
You wouldn't be the first person to harvest a yearling, and not the last. It's your choice to do as you wish. It's certainly better than harvesting the doe, and leaving the fawns to fend for themselves.

finngun
04-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Quite often doe with 2 bambies another bambi is not make over winter anyways,,;-)

wideopenthrottle
04-06-2016, 07:36 AM
I actually got a 6x6 elk trying to find the fawn that must have been around after I took the larger of two good sized WT does....it wasn't until I was gutting it that it became obvious there must have been a fawn hiding near by?(or it had been recently killed) ...so I went back to the spot for 3 days straight to get the small one instead of leaving it for the wolves (I never saw any sign of a fawn but the doe I shot was full of milk). there are reasons to take a small one once in a while...

dirtguy
04-06-2016, 11:34 AM
young whitetail is the best wild game meat period.....imho

Treed
04-06-2016, 11:41 AM
The survival rate of fawns is low compared to mature does. Shooting a yearling (that may be male) will have less effect on local populations than shooting a mature doe. Each to their own.

russm86
04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
I've been told by COs and wildlife biologists that the fawns in late fall typically will have the know hows etc necessary to survive without their doe and will usually group up with the next deer they see. Also, the does milk often dries up late fall/early winter in order for it to conserve the food/energy for itself and the new fetus (if it gets pregnant again) over the cold winter months and in instances where it doesn't dry up entirely it would only be supplemental to the fawns solid diet.

two-feet
04-06-2016, 04:14 PM
The survival rate of fawns is low compared to mature does. Shooting a yearling (that may be male) will have less effect on local populations than shooting a mature doe. Each to their own.
I am with this. Its legal and a good choice as far as herd health in my opinion.

walks with deer
04-06-2016, 08:04 PM
ShootingING the young one is all good with me shooting the mom is a pick move period..

capt hook
04-06-2016, 10:02 PM
I'll go along with "Wow". It's legal, but why take a bambi when it could become a descent sized critter next year. Some hunters just have to put a hoe in something to feel like their successful.
obviously , you have never eaten a roast/bbq suckling pig?
compared to a roast/bbq hog?
I would already have a buck in freezer, and at that point we would be a nice group around camp and a sucking bambi covered in apple slow bbq,ing to me sounds delicious...but some people would rather eat at Macdonalds for the quadtruple monster burger rather than a small fillet of Prime..

sed8ed
04-07-2016, 07:21 AM
I've spit roasted a whole deer before... sitka blacktail however so it was just a small adult (big bases though).

Really tasty way to do it, if that's what you're looking for then go for it but I do recommend cooking an adult with that method, you need the developed sinew and connective tissues to melt over the slow, low heat creating that rich flavour.

Just go up to the northern islands and poke a hole in a small adult or 5

Foxton Gundogs
04-07-2016, 08:03 AM
I have done a couple of Island deer on the spit, a mature dry doe or younger buck gives you meat for about 50 people(with other food on the menu as well) with a few sandwich leftovers.

boilerroom
04-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Really??? all of these delicious posts and no deer in the freezer ;-(

capt hook
04-07-2016, 09:47 PM
so.... slow is better?
like pork?

walks with deer
04-11-2016, 10:52 PM
I plan on sErving that exact thing at my wedding.