PDA

View Full Version : Where to look for black bears?

Big Blaze
06-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Well I know its getting near to the end of the season but I figured better late then neverto get out, and was just wondering were would be the best areas are to look for bear. Both my friend and I who have both never really hunted before will be heading out to the squamish area this weekend, and we were just wonderig what kinda of areas are best to look for bear. I am assumingit would be best in a clear cut area along the tree line or near a stream or river, correct me if I am wrong though. So was just wondering what ya'lls thoughts were to help a newbie hunter out on what kinda of area to look in. Also gerrearly speaking how long do you wait in one specific spot? I have read another post saying it is best to look for them in the late morning/late afteroon-evening, any thoughts on this as well. Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers

Byson
06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
speaking of pemberton up the rutherford creek and i seen alot of bears on the highline road from darcy to setton lake

Gateholio
06-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Theres bears in the Rutherford, of course, but not nearly as many this year as last.

You hit snow pretty quick.8)

Phil
06-04-2007, 04:22 PM
Take in to account the temperature and weather when deciding time of day to hunt at. Bears like to eat salad in the coolest part of the day and won't want to work too hard to get it. You will likely see a few throughout the day regardless. Find a good cut and stake it out from late afternoon untill dark and don't leave early. Dusk is a great time to spot bears.

Big Blaze
06-04-2007, 04:26 PM
so a good clear cut is probably my best bet then?

270WIN
06-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Well I know its getting near to the end of the season but I figured better late then neverto get out, and was just wondering were would be the best areas are to look for bear. Both my friend and I who have both never really hunted before will be heading out to the squamish area this weekend, and we were just wonderig what kinda of areas are best to look for bear. I am assumingit would be best in a clear cut area along the tree line or near a stream or river, correct me if I am wrong though. So was just wondering what ya'lls thoughts were to help a newbie hunter out on what kinda of area to look in. Also gerrearly speaking how long do you wait in one specific spot? I have read another post saying it is best to look for them in the late morning/late afteroon-evening, any thoughts on this as well. Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers
were in squimish you headed

RiverOtter
06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
so a good clear cut is probably my best bet then?

Depends on the age of the clearcut and the amount of logging activity going on nearby. Your best bet is good feed, close water source and cover, combined with low human traffic.

If it were me going into an area that I didn't know, I would want to be there early in the day and use the middle of the day to look for bear crap. Once you find an area with a good amount of sign, pull out and come back around 5 o'clock and hunt till dark. If its feasable, hunting on foot is my preferred method of hunting because alot of big bears will be gone at the first sound of a vehicle and you won't even know you missed them. Pay attention to the wind and go slow and you have a pretty good chance of getting a decent bear.

RO

Big Blaze
06-04-2007, 04:44 PM
were in squimish you headed
was going to go down the forestry road accross from alice lake park about 30 kms in but was also considering possibly a little closer to whislter maybe

270WIN
06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
was going to go down the forestry road accross from alice lake park about 30 kms in but was also considering possibly a little closer to whislter maybe

never realy hunted around there most mine been elho valley use to be lots of bear in there but latly they seem hard to find i seen 6 this year in 4 outing nothing a shooter in my books though i looking fro a big boy or a color phase
i may be up there this week end as well since last time i was there i sure lot more snows melted

hunter1947
06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Pound slashes and glass late afternoon ,you will find them.

ryanb
06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
It's not too late. I shot bears on June 6th of the last 2 years. I shot one last spring up the Elaho main, up a spur road in the late afternoon. There are NO shortage of bears at all once you get into the Elaho. As soon as I had the one down last year, another larger bear showed up and tried to take the kill. It's a bit of a drive though, but you'll have much better success than around Whistler or closer to Squamish. Just make sure you observe the no shooting areas around Whistler and Squamish.

I'll be the first to say it, the best way (or at least the easiest) to get a bear is probably just to road hunt. Look for bear sign on the roads, and when you see it, drive very slowly having a good look around.

Big Blaze
06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Pound slashes and glass late afternoon ,you will find them.
slashes and glass?? I not sure I understand

ex bc guide
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
slashes and glass?? I not sure I understand
logging slashes and use your bino's to look at the slashes/clear cuts

Big Blaze
06-04-2007, 05:23 PM
awsome, thanks!

rollingrock
06-04-2007, 05:39 PM
I've seen bears in Squamish in logging slashes, I've had better luck seeing them on logging roads.

Wildfoot
06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
its been 35+ here all week. Finally some rain this afternoon. Hopefully the blackies will be out and about tonight!!!

dana
06-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Now is the time of LOVE! The boars will be roaming around looking for sows. I missed a monster today that was a courtin'. The best way to hunt the rut is to pound the ground. The boars can put on a lot of miles in their search to get laid. They are pretty lazy creatures, so they take the path of least resistance, which usually means logging roads. This means driving a lot of roads. Yup, I said it, road hunting at this time of year is your best option, especially if you want to get a big boy. In many areas it is now green not only on roads and cutblock, but also in the timber. Focusing on green landings won't be as effective as it was a couple of weeks ago.

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2007, 08:41 PM
I agree with dana 100%.
When they are love sick they will roam grown in old grassy roads or slides where they will find either the feeding sow, or cross the path of where a hot sow has crossed and trail her. Yes the fur may be a bit rubbed and the claws a bit worn but if you want a giant boar, now is the time for sure.

Mr. Dean
06-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Can't advise you on later season hunt but let us know how you do and what you see. Some of us may be able to use that info next time around.

Good luck.

Wildfoot
06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
will bears be out roaming if its raining out?

270WIN
06-05-2007, 06:58 AM
will bears be out roaming if its raining out?

i think so my buddie few years back shot a blackie in one of the worse down poors i ever hunted it was raining for hours and well the bear was just doing it ruteen out on an old skider trail eating grass

Wildfoot
06-05-2007, 07:37 AM
well then i may go for a short drive this morning :)

we got a huge rainstorm last night.

Mr. Dean
06-05-2007, 08:37 AM
I noticed that the 1st cool day following a hot-spell, bears were out in full force.

Mr. Dean
06-05-2007, 09:07 AM
I also read that bears tend to follow the tender greens (new sprouts/shoots) up the mountain as spring progresses. And if I remember correctly, mating is done traditionaly in alpine and sub-alpine medows - Which would make sense... Feed your way to the top then get lucky!

Bottom line is that as it gets warmer, the bears will generaly be making their way for higher ground.

If I'm wrong about this, will some one PLEASE slam me down.

kishman
06-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I noticed that the 1st cool day following a hot-spell, bears were out in full force.

I believe this, a buddy and I went for a hike around Carolin Mines yesterday. We spotted two Bears, one a nice cinnamon color the other jet black. We spotted both in the grass beside a very swollen Dewdney creek.

km

Wildfoot
06-05-2007, 09:21 AM
i agree mr. dean. hot days means bears are up high from what I have seen.

I wish gas wasnt so $$.. its really tearing a hole in my wallet driving 1 hour each way to get anywhere near alpine

ratherbefishin
06-05-2007, 09:28 AM
We were hunting our 3 valley gap way on the north side of the highway,and found the bears lower down-they weren't high [only the bears at Sombrio beach are ''high'']

Paulyman
08-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Bears eh, I know a little area in Squamish that i was at about 4 years ago, saw alot of black bears, one had a head like a medicine ball. not exactly sure what the name is, but if you pm me i could give you a pretty accurate idea of where it is, would highly reccomend Squamish if your looking for bears.there are alot of bears in Hope as well

BrowningBar
08-16-2007, 02:05 AM
for me,I just go to any logging road thats atleast 2 hours out of town,look for clearcuts or just look on the road,i've shot the majority of my bears on the road(the logging road),farthest range,about 50-80 yards.no need to hike when u can find them easily on the road,just be fast when u see it,most of the time on the road,u only have about 15 seconds.You can also try walking on the road too,if u see one on the road,You are guaranteed that it doesnt even see you.

mapguy
08-16-2007, 06:48 AM
just look for bear poop then wait till 3 oclock
if all the feed is too dry they'll be down by the water
and if its too hot out they won't come out to play till later
hehehehe