PDA

View Full Version : Elaho Goats

charlie_horse
04-03-2016, 05:47 PM
So I was wondering if anyone had any experience hunting goats out of the elaho or the legal side of the Squamish river. I've decided this year i'm going to spend the summer cutting a trail up the mountain to get into some local goats. I'm not looking for spots as I think I've done enough scouting over the years to have a good idea which ranges they are most likely to be in and the spots i've got checked out on google earth that I want to are all going to be dependent on which washouts they decide to clear and not clear.

I did manage to spot myself what i believe to be a mature billy this weekend and found him again today and he is already back up in the snowline and quite a bit higher than any of the other goats. Will he basically just go straight up the mountain as the snow line allows? or will these goats move from mountain to mountain once they hit alpine and the summer weather allows? Will they be down in the timber or up above tree line as i've heard mixed stories (I realize goat hunting is typically alpine)? any other pieces of advice would be more than welcome or just pictures of goats! This of course is all leh dependent and is just the plan of the hour even though my plans seem to be changing by the minute in this slow off season.

thanks guys

ryanb
04-03-2016, 07:16 PM
Goats will be on top during the short open season. You will be hiking from the bottom in difficult to impossible, thick terrain with no trail. Few people are up for that kind of challenge, hence the reason there is an open season 1hr from Vancouver.

charlie_horse
04-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Well at least if you get up top it shouldn't be as bad as if they are in the timber. I'm well aware the terrain, but i do have the luxury of being in Squamish and spending almost every weekend out there, so I think with a lot of effort this summer i should be able to get myself to the top of somewhere. There are a few options out there though to get some good elevation before you start hiking and a couple backpackers trails to. Have you taken a goat out there? I know there was at least 3 taken out of there last year so its definitely doable with no doubt a tonne of effort.

ve7iuq
04-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Goats come down into bush in the spring to get rid of their old wool by travelling through scruffy brush that pulls the wool off.
In central BC it is usually in June when they do this, but as far south as you are talking about it would probably be in May.

180grainer
04-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Goats will be on top during the short open season. You will be hiking from the bottom in difficult to impossible, thick terrain with no trail. Few people are up for that kind of challenge, hence the reason there is an open season 1hr from Vancouver.
Go gitter buddy...with that type of recommendation it's got to lite a fire under your ass. Phuke I wish I was 25 again. This is exactly why Sheep hunters are gay. Go get the phuker and take a lot of pictures. I'm with you. Do it Do it Do it.........Wornknickels/NorBc team up with this guy......Get it done......Kill that phuking goat.........

Red_Mist
04-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Go gitter buddy...with that type of recommendation it's got to lite a fire under your ass. Phuke I wish I was 25 again. This is exactly why Sheep hunters are gay. Go get the phuker and take a lot of pictures. I'm with you. Do it Do it Do it.........Wornknickels/NorBc team up with this guy......Get it done......Kill that phuking goat.........

haha you must be well into the rye. As for the op , that's gonna be a great accomplishment once you cut that tag.

Amphibious
04-04-2016, 12:02 AM
I spent a good chunk of time flying in and through the Elaho with forestry and heli-logging operations. I've also hunted my fair share of goats. The only places I saw goats in the Elaho made me quickly decide there are much, MUCH better places to hunt them. Good luck!

Always fancied a fly-in to Clendenning lake for a bit of goaty action one day too.....

charlie_horse
04-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Between 180 and Ryan that's some pretty good motivation. Ryan isn't wrong though it looks like some of the ranges will be difficult to almost impossible. Now I kind of hope I don't get any early draws. But not really

ryanb
04-04-2016, 09:56 AM
It's important to recognize when you are goat hunting that many animals are in fact in impossible spots unless you have full rock climbing gear. In that area you will encounter MANY impossible goats, but they're certainly not all impossible.

albravo2
04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
The old mountaineers didn't have nice trails cut for them but it sure simplifies getting to the alpine. I haven't been much off the road up Elaho way but I know a couple trails up into the alpine on the Ashlu. One right by the mine site to Mt. Jimmy Jimmy, the other 10-15kms further down leads to the glacier visible to the east. I'm sure a quick internet search of the hiking/climbing sites will give you better info.

Buddy of mine flies chopper locally and says he has seen easy access goats and tough access goats. I think some summer scouting will pay dividends.

BCHunterTV
04-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Check the regs... area around elaho is closed. I've seen many goats in the elaho but in the no hunting area

I know where there is goats in the open area and plan to hike in and scout myself this july/august.

charlie_horse
04-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Your wrong the Elaho is completely open. It's the Ashlu that is closed.

BCHunterTV
04-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Yes I am.. I mixed up the two names

slyfox
05-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Have hunted the elaho for goats and have taken one was in there today doing some bear hunting and glassing for goats only saw them in one spot today that not even Spider-Man would make it in there.

Thinking because of the fire last year the goats may even be higher up but will be doing more looking around as the season gets closer.

Just keep scouting there's good numbers of goats in the elaho if my draws don't pan out I'll be spending a week in there after them.

PM me I'll give ya some info if ya need help.

charlie_horse
05-23-2016, 07:01 PM
I was out there this weekend for bear and couldn't spot a goat for the life of me. I'll send you a pm.

untilthelastbeat
05-24-2016, 05:58 PM
I think killing a goat out of the elaho would be about as easy as killing a bear out there...

slyfox
05-24-2016, 07:38 PM
I wish it was that easy.

kush
05-24-2016, 09:05 PM

lolololol......

Numenor604
08-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Hey Guys. ive spotted Goats in the Elaho not more than 20 kms in . south side of the river , but near impossible to get to .. have any of you hiked Tricouni meadows in squamish ? beautiful alpine basins.. went with the old lady and didn't have much time to sit and glass , looks ideal tho and accessible once you're up there... let me know if you have been up that way.. looks like good habitat for blacktail as well , tho I didn't see any sign ..

Jojo
08-17-2023, 09:46 PM
Hey bumping up this old post. Did any of you have been successful in the Elaho for goats ? Thank you