PDA

View Full Version : Archery Black Bear

Brambles
06-04-2007, 03:45 AM
Well I received my new bow from the factory (APA Black Mamba X2) about a week ago, got her all tuned up, had some new arrows built and decided to try some new broadheads ( Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts). The sight was taken off my previous bow.

I felt as if I should at least try and take a bear with my bow before the season closes, things are warming up here real fast and I was expecting to see that the bears have rubbed. So when a friend of mine calls me up and asks if I still plan on going hunting this evening I said "lets go". He wasn't interested in taking a bear but was looking to get out of the house.

The plan is to take the quad up the main forest service road and then hike up a reclaimed spur road that greens up real well and I had seen lots of smaller bears on it last year. The only drawback is the slope is "Freakin Steep. The reclaimed road has a nice grade to it, carved nicely out of the mountain but the sides drop off QUICK. (can you see where this is going?)

A fair distance from where we left the quad we come up to a cool draw with a roaring creek. I knock an arrow, explaining to my buddy that this is a nice spot to see a bear feeding. It wasn't a dozen steps after I said that when I seen black. Bino's up and sure enough its a bear about 100 yards away and feeding towards us.

We get as low as we can in the ditch and creep closer. I judge the bear for a bit, still 80 yards away. These yardages are rough because I was an idiot and left the rangefinder back at the quad:redface:

Looked like a decent boar, no dumbo ears, good swagger to his walk, eye's real close together, beautiful un-rubbed coat, but his legs looked longish. Oh well, lets try and shoot him. He's across a small draw and we're running out of ditch to hide in but the creek is loud and is actually creating nice wind for us, the bear has no idea we are there.
We sat there for probably 15 minutes watching him, ever slowly creeping forward as he's feeding towards us. Now he's about 50 yards but I don't want to take any shot further than 30. I didn't have time to verify my bow was shooting on target past that distance. So longer we wait. He offers me plenty of beautiful quartering away, broadside, you name it. Finally he makes the move and walks down into the bottom of the draw and I make my move to sit on the top edge of it. I estimate the distance at 30 yards and he offers me perfect broadside. From the seated position I draw my bow, aim and release. I tucked it in perfectly behind the shoulders cutting both triceps and lungs, a wee bit high but I'm just being picky.

He spins around and my buddy gets up with the rifle just in case but I tell him to hold on. The bear whirls around and is loosing steam FAST, very impressed how much of a hurt the bow put on that bear. He settles in behind some small shrubs but I can still see him, he's just laying there but I decide to give him another shot ( hey how many times do you get a follow up shot with a bow). WELL CRAP I nail him with the second shot, lungs again and he falls down the FREAKING BANK. Like a billy goat taking the plunge he falls probably 300 feet or so down to the bottom of a beautiful waterfall. We find a way to get down to him but did I mention how STEEP it is, plus its old growth with pine needle duff about 8 inches thick so your footing sucks too.

Anyways we try and drag him but make it about 10 ft, yup 10. Too heavy. I tell my buddy to go and hike back to the quad and bring it up, in the mean time I'm going to get the hide off and quarters de-boned. By the time he gets back I have the hide 3/4 off and he gives me a hand to finish up and take the quarters off and backstraps. We throw all the meat in the packframe and I put it on, OH OH MY, this is really going to suck. Buddy takes the hide. Well after a lot of grunting and scrambling we got the bear out of the ravine and strapped onto the quad.

No I'm not a guru on Black bear hide measurements but nose to tail looks to be 6'3" and paw to paw is 6' 8 1/2". The skull green scores at 18 10/16. Lets see how it dries.

Now a little kudo's for my buddy, he didn't bitch or whine once, he was right there with my 375 H&H to back me up but I called him off, he's new to hunting a couple years ago and wants to rack up some experience, I think he got a bunch this trip. Anytime he wants to get some more experience I'll be more than willing to take him. Hopefully we'll get something for him so I can return the favor.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1045.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1051.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
06-04-2007, 04:20 AM
Congrats Jeff!!8) You sure didn't waste much time breaking in the new bow!! Damn nice bear as well!!

Have you taken (m)any bears with a bow yet??

Hopefully, I can do the same with my bow as we've got a couple of days of cooler weather on the way.
Must have been a real grunt in this weather:-D! The harder, the sweeter the reward8)!
Way to go!!

SSS

Fisher-Dude
06-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Good job Brambles! You say your buddy wanted to get outta the house...I think the guy with the new baby needed to get some fresh air too. :mrgreen:

bochunk2000
06-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Great bear, great story. I can't wait to get my first with a bow.
Steve

calvin L
06-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Great job on the bear it will go p&y for sure . It did not take long to break in the new bow . I take it a second shot was not needed :wink:. That is a good looken bow . I like the camo it reminds me of a ty died t shirt on a dope smoken long haired hippy from the 60's :mrgreen: Your not trying to go back in time are you :wink:. I gess it could be just trying to hind in the crop tending crews out in the west koots. LOL great bear good story con grats

calvin L

BearSniper
06-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Great strory Brambles:)

Good job on stalking so close to him, the conditions were just right for a 30 meter shot.

Too bad about the ravine, don't you just know it he'd fall in to the bottom.:???:I've had that once too. Theres no way you can drag 300-400 pounds dead weight up a hill in the shrubs.

Thats a nice looking bear and his coat looks great. You'll have to do a follow up trip in the fall and get another one8)

lapadat
06-04-2007, 07:18 AM
Brambles

Awesome bear. Grizz next????

mcrae
06-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Good Job Jeff and congrats on the bear but most of all congrats on the new baby boy:-D. Next spring we will have to try and get out and get somemore! I posted my story in the bowhunting section and I was able to connect as well it was definetly cool8) As a side note I used the some Magnus Stinger Buzzcut broadheads as well on my bear they worked well.

Mr. Dean
06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
From what I saw on our BB hunt, these fur balls could make for an exiting opprotunity with a bow. You sir dropped a VERY nice one with yours - You'll be sore for the next couple of days.

Congrats.

BlacktailStalker
06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Well done, congrats ! I still have to get mine with my bow.

steepNdeep
06-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Great bear... and with a bow to boot! Did 2-Stroke sell you that ugly bow? Must be factory blood for the wannabe's... ;) I hear it shoots ~350 fps...

Elkhound
06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Great job Brambles......as for the bear going over the cliff......welll........LMAO...it's about time it happened to someone else.......were you hunting in my spot?:wink:

bruin
06-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Great bear

Brambles
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Must have been a real grunt in this weather
SSS

Nice thing was that he was at the bottom of the waterfall so it was real cool while working on him, and it was damn near dark while scrambling up the bank so it had a chance to cool down by then, worked out well as far as temp is concerned..

I like the camo it reminds me of a ty died t shirt on a dope smoken long haired hippy from the 60's :mrgreen: Your not trying to go back in time are you. I gess it could be just trying to hind in the crop tending crews out in the west koots.
calvin L

Oh, that hurts. The bow actually looks 10x better in person, for some reason the flash really highlights the red leafs in the camo pattern, that carrying handle is AWESOME.

Great bear... and with a bow to boot! Did 2-Stroke sell you that ugly bow? Must be factory blood for the wannabe's... I hear it shoots ~350 fps...

Your just plain mean!!!:-D No 2-stroke didn't sell me that bow, I have a staffshooter sponsorship so I had to get it factory direct, you need to see this bow in person to really appreciate how COOL it really is. But the bear didn't seem to like it much, no account for taste I guess.:wink:

Great job Brambles......as for the bear going over the cliff......welll........LMAO...it's about time it happened to someone else.......were you hunting in my spot?

Oh Man!! I knew there was a bank there but I had NO idea it was straight freakin down, legs cramped up a little last night and a little stiff this morning, probably be stiffer tomorrow, but I tell you, that bank doesn't seem as steep when I got it home and put the tape measure on it, a fair bit bigger than I had originally thought, and possible P&Y to boot:mrgreen:

Will
06-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Awesome Bear ! Well done 8)
A good bear with a rifle... never mind a bow:-D

hunter1947
06-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Congrats and great story ,and nice bear. One more fawn saved http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

greybark
06-04-2007, 06:36 PM
:-DHey Brambles , Well done . Great story and a good display of patience and self dicipline.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

boxhitch
06-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I have a staffshooter sponsorship so I had to get it factory direct,

This should ice the sponsorship for a while. Next APA centerfold ?
Good going.