PDA

View Full Version : lynx friend or foe.

walks with deer
03-30-2016, 11:54 PM
I have a lynx I have seen on my property once.

Wife has seen twice.and kids have seen twice..

I didn't want to hurt him as long as he keeps rodents down. and with my robust small game population I understand his disire for location.

That said he sits in the bush 100yds from my house and makes god awful screems.

I took down some hazard trees bye the house with a lot of scratches.

Do you think.
1.leave him alone he is good rodent control.

2.take him out he is a threat for my 4 year old or 6 year old or healer.

3.he will move on with my presence.

He is clearly a mature male and quite large I put a bead on him but let him walk as I am trying to teach kids you kill for food or defense not cause you can.

scotty30-06
03-31-2016, 12:29 AM
Big lynx and small child.....that would have me nervous....im not to experienced with them.....but they are predators that can kill animals a lot bigger then themselves

northernbc
03-31-2016, 12:39 AM
if you want to learn and teach your kids how to process a hide then smoke him, but if you do not then use it as a beautiful study as to animal ways.show the kids tracks, kill sites, etc it could go either way for you but use this as a teaching moment. your kids are not in any danger.

walks with deer
03-31-2016, 12:40 AM
When my four year old daughter saw it it ran in front of here on her trycyle...
Was that lynk a little to curios or bad timing.

northernbc
03-31-2016, 12:47 AM
buy a tag and start the explanation process and with there help you will have a great pelt.crap season is over/ hmmmmm

walks with deer
03-31-2016, 01:03 AM
If you think I am safe he can live.
we have viewed his kill sites and tracks I have many many resident snowshoes and Ruffeis aa long as he doesn't keep crying on my porch or he's not a threat.I like him around agreed educational and varmint control.
I just fear for babies.

He has killed 3 hares since Feb 15th that I know of within 100yds of house and has been seen 5 times 1 time on my porch as long as he plays nice I will.

boxhitch
03-31-2016, 01:07 AM
Odd behavior to stick around like that , maybe he likes the safe haven from predators.
Live trapping and relocation is an option , by someone certified.

northernbc
03-31-2016, 01:16 AM
go on a full rabbit reduction with the kids .22 rifle head shots eat the meat and do up the hides as a project.he will move on. make it a time to move on for him.

Cat catcher
03-31-2016, 03:02 AM
He's crying fight now cause it's mating season

604Stalker
03-31-2016, 05:13 AM
No cuddle buddy. Its a pred treat it like such its claiming that area as its own and if left alone may become teritorial when mating or when it gets bigger. I would say dirtnap. Or atleast put the fear of god in em

RiverOtter
03-31-2016, 05:52 AM
Could go either way on this, but the more he hangs around your house/family, the greater chance of him becoming habituated. I'd be more than a little concerned having smaller kids playing in his new "territory".

I'd let the co's know about the situation and express concern for your kids safety.

LBM
03-31-2016, 05:58 AM

I didn't want to hurt him as long as he keeps rodents down. and with my robust small game population I understand his disire for location.

Do you think.

He is clearly a mature male and quite large I put a bead on him but let him walk as I am trying to teach kids you kill for food or defense not cause you can.

Leave him alone.
No season open right now anyway.
By the sounds of things if your scared of whats in the woods move back into the middle of the city, and if your concerned about your kids get rid of the tricycle and bikes etc far more kids hurt on them then by any lynx attacks. If you decide to stay out there then educate your kids on what may be out there.

bigredchev
03-31-2016, 06:06 AM
I'd rather bd safe than sorry. Don't have to shoot it maybe fire some warning shots to spook it or chase it into the next valley with hounds

.308SLAYER
03-31-2016, 06:20 AM
Def don't want to see the worse case scenario 100 yards is pretty close for comfort having two daughters I don't think I'd let him be that comfortable in the vicinity of my house it only takes once...never heard of a lynx attacking people never know though

RiverOtter
03-31-2016, 06:54 AM
Leave him alone.
No season open right now anyway.
By the sounds of things if your scared of whats in the woods move back into the middle of the city, and if your concerned about your kids get rid of the tricycle and bikes etc far more kids hurt on them then by any lynx attacks. If you decide to stay out there then educate your kids on what may be out there.
Sounds like someone who lives in the city.......

Better chance of hurting yourself on a bicycle than getting attacked by a bear, but I don't let bears hang around my house long, especially not during daylight hours......

300rum700
03-31-2016, 06:59 AM
Why risk it?

Big Lew
03-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Another option would be to use 'bear bangers' next time it is close to the house.
I'll bet it would get the message without having to kill it.

russm86
03-31-2016, 07:23 AM
Lynx are known to take down full grown deer on their own, even some documented cases of them taking down young caribou. A 4 year old and 6 year old (and your dog) are much smaller than either of these... While probably unlikely to go after them if there is an abundant amount of food around do you want to play wait and see if something horrible happens? You said the lynx ran right by your kid on the bike, what exactly was the Lynx doing and it's reaction to your kid on the tricycle? There's a chance they unknowingly trigger the predator prey instinct of the lynx riding by it one day, similar to why you never turn your back on and run from other predators... As others have said there maybe alternative ways to deal with it than killing it or maybe you keep the kids indoors until after mating season and perhaps it will move on on its own once it is over.

REMINGTON JIM
03-31-2016, 07:43 AM
He would make a NICE rug mount ! ;) RJ

Knute
03-31-2016, 07:56 AM
Claim your ground.
Start urinating in ever expanding circles around the home.
Good excuse to drink more beer :smile:

M.Dean
03-31-2016, 08:11 AM
As LBM just said, Lynx are closed. A number of years ago I had a Lynx walk right beside me when I was sitting on my quad, I have a video of it somewhere on this computer, I had my camera in one hand and my loaded 300 Mag in the other, I thought for sure it was "Rabid". And this year, because of the increase in rabbit numbers, were seeing more and more Lynx around here too. I know what I'd do if I had Kid's with a Lynx that close, but the legal way to handle this one would be to call the CO's.

finngun
03-31-2016, 10:39 AM
When my four year old daughter saw it it ran in front of here on her trycyle...
Was that lynk a little to curios or bad timing.

Looking for history of lynx and eating habits...is there EVER been
lynx attacs for human,,,baby or not...?
If not ,,,,enjoy about beautiful cat....otherways....boom:roll:

shottyshooter
03-31-2016, 01:51 PM
Claim your ground.
Start urinating in ever expanding circles around the home.
Good excuse to drink more beer :smile:

LOL - best answer yet!

I just bought property and the local wildlife isn't used to people being there. I had a young black bear that I saw twice while I was peeing on a tree. I think he respected my "claim" to the territory because haven't seen him since.

dracb
03-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Natuaralist Ernest Thompson Seton commented: "The lynx lives on rabbits, follows rabbits, tastes like rabbits, increases with them and on their failure dies of starvation in the unrabbited woods." And such is the case in the north where snowshoe hares vary in abundance over a ten year cycle. Lynx abundance is not related to snowshoe cycles in southern BC due to the broader prey base exploited by lynx. Still rabbits comprise more than 50% of the lynx winter diet with most of the remainder consisting of red squirrels, northern flying squirrels and grouse. Summer diets in both regions is somewhat more varied with some individuals occasionally predating on smaller ungulates or claiming for their own carcasses of larger animals found in the woods.

A quick google search does not find any records of attacks by lynx on humans. Lynx are known to cannibalize other lynx at times and during periods of low prey abundance will disburse into populated areas where they will predate on livestock and pets.

I have heard lynx described as the potheads of the woods because the wander around and react with humans as if they are stoned. A few years back I rented a fish camp on Crooked Lake to house my crew. I saw a Lynx wander through camp prowling around the foundations of the cabins looking for rodents seemingly paying no attention to people moving around in the camp area. On several occasions one would sit in the access road or in the brush beside it watching the approaching vehicle until the driver would stop rather than risk running over it.

Last Fall I was calling coyotes near Dardanelles Lake when a lynx came in and sat down (say 15 to 20 meters distant) to watch my decoy dog snuffling about. It didn't even move on when I got up to move closer to try to get a clear photograph. It appeared more curious than concerned about either the dog or me. Finally the dog got close enough to make it uncomfortable and it moved on but it certainly was not in panic mode as it left.

From your description and based on my limited experience your lynx would appear to be acting like a typical lynx. Based on a total lack of historical records of lynx depredation on humans I would not be worried about my children in such a situation. The bobcat is a larger cat than the lynx with a stronger record of depredation on small to mid-sized ungulates. It lives comfortably in some abundance among subdivisions and rural areas of the lower mainland. Its main conflict with humans is depredation on small livestock and pets. Given the number of call I receive about bobcats visiting porches and patios I suspect they are pretty good at scavenging from pet food dishes and the smorgasbord offered by bird and squirrel feeders.

I do not recall any unprovoked attacks on humans by bobcats.

wideopenthrottle
03-31-2016, 03:22 PM
a few years ago I was walking up a steep road and took a short cut through the trees between the switchback...when I popped up onto the next road I was no more than 15-20 feet from one....it actually continued to groom itself after a quick look at me ...I was moving really slow as I normally do and froze when I spotted it (to observe it)...I watched it for a few minutes and was kinda surprised by how unconcerned it was about me.....now that I have read about your experiences I know what you mean about the "stoner of the woods" cuz when I finally decided to start walking again it only slinked into the brush slowly....heheheheh

FortBoy
03-31-2016, 03:31 PM
" The bobcat is a larger cat than the lynx with a stronger record of depredation on small to mid-sized ungulates."

i though bobcats were the smaller of the two?

RiverOtter
03-31-2016, 04:34 PM
" The bobcat is a larger cat than the lynx with a stronger record of depredation on small to mid-sized ungulates."

i though bobcats were the smaller of the two?
They are...

finngun
03-31-2016, 05:30 PM
I have seen near 1meter tall lynx by horsefly lake,,beautiful cat ...smart,,very alerted, watcing my hunting buddy walking away 200m away..cat was middle of fr.
We didn.t have a tag,,,,didn,t field sorry about that..

dracb
03-31-2016, 05:53 PM
Carnivores of British Columbia (2008 ) Hatler et al. Page 339 where lynx are described as Females up to 13.5 kg and a well fed (fat) male in Alaska weighed 19.1 kg.

Ibid page 351 describing bobcats as females to 15.0 kg and weights to 28.5 kg for malesIn terms of length Bobcat males are longer than Lynx males while Lynx females are longer than bobcat females.

While I do not have any confirming data, I would argue that Lynx are taller than Mr. Bob, but there is obviously somewhat less cat under all that wonderful lynx fur.

RiverOtter
03-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Not sure where these 28.5kg(63 lbs) Bobs are coming from, but I'd sure like to know. I've trapped upwards of 60 bobcats and weighed every exceptional specimen and had exactly 1 crowd 38 lbs, with a couple others hitting 36 lbs. They were fully mature toms, replete with broken teeth, torn ears and scarred up faces. Females that I've weighed ranged from high teens to lower 20's in pounds, while most males ranged from mid to high 20's in pounds.

Haven't caught nearly as many Lynx due to locale, maybe half a dozen, but they've been similar in weight to equivalent sex/age bobs. Maybe some of the northern guys will chime in with their findings on actual lynx weights.

It's always been my understanding that both species are quite similar in weight, but the lynx has a slight advantage on the top end of the spectrum.

dracb
03-31-2016, 08:59 PM
I do not know where the largest (28 kg) ones are coming from. Carnivores of British Columbia is a Royal C Museum Handbook written by established biologists who earn their livings by writing factual descriptions of wildlife. The populations measured and reported are small for both lynx and bobcat. The above mentioned huge bobcat was not included in the population measured and reported in CofBC. Even so male bobcats measured both averaged a bit heavier and included the heaviest individual of the male lynx and bobcats measured. The longest cat measured was also a bobcat. I suspect that on average there is not all that much difference. There does seem to some potential for somewhat heftier bobcat males. Since the authors took the effort to report the bigger Alaskan male lynx, it would suggest that extra large lynx are exceedingly rare and very large ones similar to the huge bobcat are not reported in scientific literature..

As an aside, a while back there was a report of a new state record bobcat down in the US that weighed 52 pounds. As I recall the now second place bobcat was between 48 and 49 pounds. I do not remember which state that was in.

chilcotin hillbilly
03-31-2016, 09:47 PM
I catch and kill more lynx then mos,t somewhere about 35 a winter caught with dogs 12 or 13 killed with clients.
Biggest mature tom I have weighed is 30lb with most mature toms averaging about 23-25. Bobcats have a complete different build and tend to out weigh lynx by about 20% if comparing mature cats.
As far a the guy who so the metre tall cat, you where off by a lot on that guess. I guess about 30cm off.

walks with deer
03-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys for all the different perspectives.

Lbm I see a lot of cat lover coments out of you were wiNing all over the recent cougar thread I was raised on a acreage and so was my wife..
I have legally harvested many trophy animals including numerous with the bow in cludeing black bears with 20 inch skulls. I have harvested elk,moose,caribou,numerous bears,many Blacktails including 2 over 165 class many many whitetails and count less muleys?

If your a father you she see the world a little different without coddling.

I am sure you live in a fish bowl town house with a locked gate.

walks with deer
03-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Big difference between scared and aware.

If I was really a big wimp I would have shot it in Feb when it was open..
the fact he hasn't moved on is strange.

walks with deer
03-31-2016, 09:51 PM
Knute.. I have been working on your theory 12 cases of beer and 4 weekends and he's still here.. I agree it works sometimes but some animals don't care.

CaribooBC
04-01-2016, 12:50 AM
I had a Lynx growl/snarl at me last Saturday. I was walking out in my back 40, I had just picked up a not so lucky Rabbit foot when I heard the growl. I looked into the bush where the noise came from and there was about a 25 lb kitty snarling at me. We stared at each other for about 30 seconds then we both moved out on our own way. It was about 30' away when we had the stare down. We are currently on the high side of the Rabbit population cycle. For the past three years I have been getting Lynx pics on my trail cams and finding bunny kill sites all over my property. They are such a cool critter, I don't know why anyone would kill one unless you were going to make good use of the fur. They don't bother me, I don't need the fur, so therefore I let them feast on the bunnies on my property. I hope they bring the bunny population down so my garden has a chance!

LBM
04-01-2016, 06:05 AM
Thanks guys for all the different perspectives.

Lbm I see a lot of cat lover coments out of you were wiNing all over the recent cougar thread I was raised on a acreage and so was my wife..
I have legally harvested many trophy animals including numerous with the bow in cludeing black bears with 20 inch skulls. I have harvested elk,moose,caribou,numerous bears,many Blacktails including 2 over 165 class many many whitetails and count less muleys?

If your a father you she see the world a little different without coddling.

I am sure you live in a fish bowl town house with a locked gate.
Actually live on an acreage, and have various animals on or through it at different times of the year.
Actually like all wildlife
Don't really see what you have legally harvested has to do with any thing.
Try not to install your fears of things in to your children but educate them on the animals
and whats out there. Learn more about lynx for starters may help you out.

walks with deer
04-01-2016, 05:39 PM
The legally harvest was to show I am not a wimp and the purpose of the thread was to hear opinion and interesting discussion.

Your comments were a little invasive to the thread so I pushed back.

I have explained to my children the lynk is are friend he will keep rodent population down..
that said I have to watch any animal even deer near small children especially.

If I had deemed the animal a problem there would have been no discussion.

walks with deer
04-01-2016, 05:40 PM
I was going to send a April fools that I had dumed it but decided that wouldn't be funny.

squamishhunter
04-01-2016, 06:10 PM
I've seen a few cougars in my time. Last moose hunt I saw a lynx so big I thought it was a cougar. Gave me a chill down the spine no cougar ever gave me.

scott h
04-01-2016, 07:45 PM
The legally harvest was to show I am not a wimp and the purpose of the thread was to hear opinion and interesting discussion.

Your comments were a little invasive to the thread so I pushed back.

I have explained to my children the lynk is are friend he will keep rodent population down..
that said I have to watch any animal even deer near small children especially.

If I had deemed the animal a problem there would have been no discussion.

Good choice. I think your kids will be very safe and get a great opportunity that they will remember their whole lives.

okas
04-01-2016, 09:38 PM
they are a cat like any cat kill kill kill . shoot it stuff it sell it

walks with deer
04-01-2016, 11:39 PM
So there you ha e it 75%say kill I could have and haven't

LBM
04-02-2016, 06:35 AM

Well if your numbers are right and since all ready been said season is closed then guess its safe
to say 75% of hunters are willing to shoot an animal out of season. If you base what you do or
don't do on what people say on this site that is your choice.

knighthunter
04-02-2016, 07:33 AM

So, are you going to wait until something happens to your family or a pet before taking action.

REMINGTON JIM
04-02-2016, 09:30 AM
I catch and kill more lynx then mos,t somewhere about 35 a winter caught with dogs 12 or 13 killed with clients.
Biggest mature tom I have weighed is 30lb with most mature toms averaging about 23-25. Bobcats have a complete different build and tend to out weigh lynx by about 20% if comparing mature cats.
As far a the guy who so the metre tall cat, you where off by a lot on that guess. I guess about 30cm off.

Hell thats only a FOOT or so ! :roll: LOL RJ

RiverOtter
04-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Hey, it could've been standing on a foot of snow, so "technically" it's back was 3' off the "ground".......:D

Iron Sighted
04-04-2016, 03:42 PM
So, are you going to wait until something happens to your family or a pet before taking action.

Why would we presume something is going to happen? His kids have a much higher statistical likelihood of being attacked by the family dog than a lynx. Would you shoot an unknown dog on your property that wasn't acting menacing because you were worried about your kids?

finngun
04-04-2016, 07:08 PM
Hey, it could've been standing on a foot of snow, so "technically" it's back was 3' off the "ground".......:D

i like that otter..:lol:...maybe it was?

walks with deer
04-04-2016, 07:45 PM
Lbm first sightings were in season.

Downtown
04-04-2016, 08:27 PM

Do you think.

A Lynx a thread to a 4 plus a 6 year old Heeler. I assume you really are talking Blue Heeler almost as fierce like Pit Bull Terrier.

Are you kidding - turn the Heelers loose and they will run that Kitten up a Tree right Pronto. Once you removed the Dogs back into the House and it be quiet for a time this Cat will have left for good by morning. If not call the COs.

Cheers

RiverOtter
04-04-2016, 08:29 PM
I alway love the "STATISTICS" statements.......

STATISTICALLY, you have a better chance of getting struck by lighting, than attacked by a grizzly.....If you live in East Van, no doubt that's the case, but if your hiking through an alpine berry patch in Northern BC in late August, the reverse would be a LOT more probable.....

WWD has a lynx who has taken up residence near his house where his kids play, it has already ran in front of his small daughter riding her tricycle as well as wandered up on the family porch. If I were a gamblin' man, I would have to say, STATISTICALLY, WWD's kids are at a much higher risk of becoming PREY to a lynx than being struck by lighting or eaten by the family dog.........

STATISTICALLY, YMMV.........

Iron Sighted
04-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Fair point on the statistics. This lynx has shown no signs of aggression thus far though, and has had opportunity as you pointed out when it ran by his daughter riding her tricycle. If this were an animal species where there where numerous documented cases of conflict with people I might feel differently, but lynx are not known as animals that are potential threats to humans. Not saying I wouldn't try to run it off if it didn't keep its distance, but I wouldn't shoot it just because it was on my property. These things typically eat snowshoe hare and grouse sized animals,(yes, we have all heard stories of them on rare occasions trying to take deer but that is not typical behaviour) I doubt it is interested in children.

RiverOtter
04-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Agreed that it prolly isn't too likely, yet, but the longer it hangs around near humans the bolder it is likely to get. That is the part that concerns me as a dad.

I got zero problems taking risks when the consequences only affect me, but when it comes to my kids my "tolerance" for extra risk takes a hard left.

T'were it me in WWD shoes, the story would have taken an abrupt turn at the tricycle incident......

REMINGTON JIM
04-05-2016, 08:39 PM
Like i said CLINT - it would soon a RUG on the Wall ! :wink: jmo RJ

250 sav
04-05-2016, 11:35 PM
If it was me I would rather shoot it and be wrong than leave it and be wrong.

REMINGTON JIM
04-06-2016, 04:49 PM
If it was me I would rather shoot it and be wrong than leave it and be wrong.

Yea maybe a LOT WRONGER if attacks a KID ! :frown: jmo RJ

walks with deer
04-06-2016, 07:49 PM
River otter seems to see my mindset.

I can be called a coward or poacher but will not put kids at risk.

Thankfully it appears the animal has moved up the hill as spring has progressed.

walks with deer
02-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Well statisics are in.. negative cougar lynk bobcat...

You see them shoot them if you dont you could be in for a world of hurt...

walks with deer
02-03-2017, 11:50 PM
Dead serious only good cat is a dead one..
NEVER LET ONE WALK AGAIN IF NEAR YOUR YARD..

northernbc
02-04-2017, 06:39 AM
It's a fine time to teach the kids animal deterrent using bangers.

finngun
02-04-2017, 10:04 AM
it is NOT legal reason to kill it,,,only if co give ya go a head.......if ya do it,,,no permission,,they call it poaching,,guns gone big fine,,not worth to do it..

decker9
02-04-2017, 10:12 AM
I don't believe that a lynx would take after a dog of similar size, theyr not hungry as the rabbit just passed their peak cycle. The males will be wandering searching for females any time now, that's what he's squaking for, he won't stick around long.

A trail cam video I got a couple winters ago, will see if this link works. A good example of a horny Tom.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/decker1122/media/3249B5D2-3464-4AD8-8488-C774348FE2F4_zpsxqarbomm.mp4.html

mod7rem
02-05-2017, 12:15 AM
Thats a cool video.

I've been hunting lynx for the past 3 winters and cant bring myself to shoot one yet. I enjoy hiking around looking for tracks then using an e caller to lure them out, but they are so calm and unconcerned that I just cant squeeze the trigger.

As far as a threat around the home, as with any predator, its the "trigger response" that would concern me. A lynx may walk calmly past a small kid on a tricycle without anything happening, but what if the kid falls down and starts squealing and crying? Predators react quickly to anything in distress. Even dogs and housecats get very excited with distress sounds.
I read about a family that had a pet dog/wolf hybrid for a couple years without any trouble, then one day one of the small kids fell down beside it and started screaming as kids can do, the dog/wolf hybrid instantly attacked and killed the kid. Theres always some risk with wildlife.
When my niece was young she was running down a trail in front of her parents with her hair tied up with some sort of ribbon flopping around on top of her head. An owl attacked her head and left her head and face covered in blood. Small cuts but the scalp bleeds alot.

RiverOtter
02-05-2017, 08:30 AM
it is NOT legal reason to kill it,,,only if co give ya go a head.......if ya do it,,,no permission,,they call it poaching,,guns gone big fine,,not worth to do it..
That's easy to say when it's not your wife or kids in harms way.
I have a lot of respect for CO's, but they are legislated into near uselessness by a public that is completely out of touch with reality. Long way of saying, the CO's are forced to side with the predator, until someone is seriously hurt or killed.

finngun
02-05-2017, 10:43 AM
That's easy to say when it's not your wife or kids in harms way.
I have a lot of respect for CO's, but they are legislated into near uselessness by a public that is completely out of touch with reality. Long way of saying, the CO's are forced to side with the predator, until someone is seriously hurt or killed.
i totally belive ya saying....if ya show me any case where human,,small or big been harmed any way by lynx or bobcat..
im waiting thnx

Slinky Pickle
02-05-2017, 11:01 AM
i totally belive ya saying....if ya show me any case where human,,small or big been harmed any way by lynx or bobcat..
im waiting thnx

While I think the odds are extrememly low that someone would be injured by a bobcat or lynx. Here's a few.... links. :)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/06/19/man-survives-bobcat-attack-by-choking-animal-to-death.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8kRiqTfe18

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3108827/I-Turkey-hunter-films-attack-bobcat-spots-hiding-trees-despite-camouflage.html

Wild one
02-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Lynx cross my property often had no issue and don't have any reason to think other wise

bonecolecter
02-05-2017, 11:12 AM
theres always another to take his place,thay are teratoreial and one will move into the area after one gets to old to keep his teratorie,but I'm a trapper, so my answer ..... i agree with the chap that said use this as a learning thing,trap humanly and show yer kids how peepol have don this sort of thing since time started. and animals need boundrys mans can live with wilde animals!!! for a day.....mabye .... a week? a year? sooner or later it instincts, hunger, fear anger ?the wild comes out and peepal get hurt,and the animals get the bad name

b72471
02-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Lynx; I live in Quesnel now but have lived aroung the Houston area most of my life, so yes have seen a few over the years. I have NEVER heard of a lynx being aggressive towards people. I presently live in a rual area now, I would be happy to have a lynx around. They will cause NO grief so why not leave him alone. I am a hunter but try and use common sense.
Enjoy.

.264winmag
02-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Are you guys serious? Have you seen what a house cat can do to a full grown person, let alone a child? I'm tired of animals being held in higher regard than humans. Yes chances may be slim, but that sob so much as looked at me or mine wrong, done...

M.Dean
02-05-2017, 06:04 PM
A number of years ago a friend of mine who lives at a lake above us told me they had the family up on the weekend, and as they were all sitting around the fire outside having dinner, someone yelled "There's a cat right there!" Sure as hell here comes a Lynx, all scruffie look'in and slowly walks past them all and only about 50 feet from the fire! No one had time to do much but watch as it went into the brush and was gone? So, long story short, a couple of weeks later I'm on the quad on a road that's well above that cabin and I'm glassing for animals when, guess who comes around the corner about 30 yards in front of me, a bloody Lynx! A real scruffie look'in Lynx at that! Looked like it was rabid, first think I do is load my 300 Mag and then grabbed my camera for proof if I do shoot the cat. Now somewhere on this P/C I've got the pic's and a video of what happened next, this bloody cat kept walking towards me as I sat with the muzzle of my rifle aimed at it in one hand and my camera in the other hand! Was some creepie shit for a few seconds as it walked not 3 bloody feet from me and just kept walking! Really! It slowly made it ways into the brush, so I fired up the quad, hit reverse, with the camera still going and drove back to where I last seen it. Nothing, so I keep going back and sure as hell it made one more appearance and then it was gone for good. I'll try to find the pictures and video on my external hard drive, I'll try to post them if possible. At the time it didn't seem like a threat so I fire, but in retrospect, maybe I should have???

RiverOtter
02-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Thanks M. Dean, would love to see that footage.

Cats, like bears are predominantly nocturnal, especially in human populated areas. When they are day time active, near people, especially small children, you're a fool to blow them off as "harmless". I'll reiterate what I said a year ago....If it's only my hide on the line I'll consider taking a risk, but no way am I going ignore a threat when my kids are involved. If that makes me a poacher or worthless human being, so be it. I'll greedily wear that badge, instead of rolling up to my house after work and having CO's, RCMP and paramedics in my yard because the predator that took up residence finally capitalized on an easy meal.

Wild one
02-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Surprised how many here fear Lynx

If you really see Lynx on your property an issue get a trapper or buy a tag. Hey they taste good, make cool mounts, and fur is worth a few $. Do it legal and make use of it at least

.264winmag
02-05-2017, 07:32 PM
I can count on one hand how many wild cats I've seen in the daylight. Logged a few miles in the woods. Those that have seen them, and I'm not talking running em with dogs, have had do dispatch them as they were gonna get pounced on. Talking cougar mind you, but a sick cougar on VI isn't much heavier that a lynx/bobcat.
We 'tried' to domesticate a feral house cat. Anyone wants to come by and try to get it in a headlock have at er. It lives in the basement, guests are not allowed downstairs alone.
As said, cats out in daylight up to no good...

butcher
02-05-2017, 07:41 PM
Been watching a bobcat at work for the last two days. He's chasing ducks around a pond. Doesn't look too dangerous to me. Second one in the last two years.

Wild one
02-05-2017, 07:58 PM
I can count on one hand how many wild cats I've seen in the daylight. Logged a few miles in the woods. Those that have seen them, and I'm not talking running em with dogs, have had do dispatch them as they were gonna get pounced on. Talking cougar mind you, but a sick cougar on VI isn't much heavier that a lynx/bobcat.
We 'tried' to domesticate a feral house cat. Anyone wants to come by and try to get it in a headlock have at er. It lives in the basement, guests are not allowed downstairs alone.
As said, cats out in daylight up to no good...

I live and log in the burns lake area seen at least 20 Lynx in daylight hours working/playing in the bush since spring. Not that uncommon to see Lynx around here especially south of Huston. Seen more here in 1 year than I have seen in the rest of BC combined though

I see little reason to fear them

.264winmag
02-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Go pet it then

.264winmag
02-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Watched dozens of grizzlies in my time
One steps on my property it's a different ball game
You're confusing a wild animal in the wild with a wild animal showing no fear of humans' near a residence.

Wild one
02-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Go pet it then

I have not pet them but called a few within 15ft doing squeaks with my hand lol. Unfortunately all I see is family groups when they are open and have a tag

I have never experienced an aggressive Lynx curious or run like hell yes. If a guy is not comfortable with them on his property fine deal with it just make use of it and do it legal

All wild animals can be dangerous but I would put Lynx low risk. I would worry more about moose especially a cow/calf.

Wild one
02-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Watched dozens of grizzlies in my time
One steps on my property it's a different ball game
You're confusing a wild animal in the wild with a wild animal showing no fear of humans' near a residence.

I posted earlier it is not uncommon to have Lynx on my property. Not uncommon for most of the local wildlife to pass through. It is part of living in the area I do

bonecolecter
02-05-2017, 09:19 PM
thats funny butcher, iv washed grr play to cubs are cute? martin and racoons will chew the meat off yer arm before you can say......HAY,iv chased cougar for years, had my own pack of hounds,cougars can be cute cuddly cats to, but cornerd or wounded.......the dam things are wild and dangeres,

Sharpish
02-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Literacy is a hell of a thing

jonz
02-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Lynx are beautiful animals and rare to see. Just scare it away.

Bonz
02-06-2017, 08:46 AM
may just be 1 now. but if its female and has its litter, than youll have a whole family living there.
personaly id pop it and make a mount and have a meal

xfactor
02-06-2017, 09:24 AM

did something actually happen?

butcher
02-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Of course you're not going to pet it! that would be dumb as hell.

And for the record I do kill critters that pose a threat on my property. That list is getting pretty long.

Dannybuoy
02-06-2017, 11:13 AM
did something actually happen?

I doubt as it was a lynx not a grizzly , cougar or other dangerous critter . I am glad to see some of the others on this site don't have the "kill it, its a wild animal" mentality !

yota
02-07-2017, 10:09 PM
http://rs1091.pbsrc.com/albums/i387/brentjefferson/20170202_123243.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

Walks with deer asked me to post this pic

xfactor
02-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Is that his heeler? Attacked by the lynx??

DStewart
02-07-2017, 11:55 PM
That is terrible.. so sorry. Never seen a cat until this year. Seen 6 bobcats close to home. I was definitely worried for some of the pets in the area

.264winmag
02-08-2017, 03:19 AM
http://rs1091.pbsrc.com/albums/i387/brentjefferson/20170202_123243.jpeg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

SOB. Condolences. Solidifies answer to OP question, unfortunately...

northernbc
02-08-2017, 06:41 AM
Oh no that's terrible

sausage lover
02-08-2017, 08:17 AM
SOB. Condolences. Solidifies answer to OP question, unfortunately...That yote is extra dead! What caliber lol?

.264winmag
02-08-2017, 09:52 AM
That yote is extra dead! What caliber lol?
Looks like a heeler bud...

walks with deer
02-08-2017, 04:02 PM
That's my kids pet they grew up with I will tell a little more of the storey later I lost a couple days of production due to this and not very effective when I am hurting so trying to catch up at work

.264winmag
02-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Jeezus, that's horrible man.
Some of us know how/when to deal with vermin
Others can't tell the difference between a yote and a pet
And sometimes uncontrollable shit happens
Best of luck during this tough time wwd
Our pets are our only 'children', can't imagine this happening..

sausage lover
02-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Looks like a heeler bud...My bad :-( should have looked a little closer.

RiverOtter
02-08-2017, 08:11 PM
So sorry for your family's loss WWD, I know the hole a good dog can leave in a family. Hope your kids didn't have to witness it.

happyhunter
02-08-2017, 08:24 PM
I think it was decent of you to try live and let live with the cat. I would not have expected it to be so bold/aggressive. Very sorry to see how things turned out for your dog, you and your family.

WesHarm
02-08-2017, 08:25 PM
So sorry for you loss WWD, we just got a new puppy at my house, and I couldn't fathom the loss already with only a few weeks together.

Stay strong.

WaterFowlin
02-08-2017, 11:47 PM
Wow. Sorry for the loss.

Bobcats sightings through the roof lately around Princeton. Last night a friend of the wife, had their pet rabbits killed in their yard.

I'm quite sure what I'll be doing if I see a cat on my property. Between a 5 and 3 year old. 2 dogs. Not worth the risk. Passing through is one thing. Setting up camp. Best to just deal with it I think.

ajr5406
02-09-2017, 06:52 AM

A lynx did this??? That's horrible - sorry for your loss WWD

walks with deer
02-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Okay so some guys will jump down my throat it was not a lynk or bobcat but a young cougar...

That said we have had bobcats this winter act quite agressive aswell..

The deep snow started to melt and the high country froze solid pushing all the predators straight into the valley bottom..

We saw numerous bobcats and multiple different cougars.. no lynk yet this year...

The cougar that killed my dog I could have shot two days before it killed my dog a couple km down the road I did not shoot it as it was a 60-80lbs well the regret is huge..

The loss is huge..

That heeler had tussled with both cougars,raccoons,bears,crack heads and even eagles as a pup she had 37 stiches when I got her from a eagle trying to pick her up as a pup..

Tough dog but is now dead...

All has been dealt with appropriately with the local cos that are top notch guys..

Just saying you let predators hang around your home this is what you get...

Ps I had a male bobcat stalk my daughter when I was with her since this incident...

walks with deer
02-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Thanks to all who wished me well and I hope others learn from this.

finngun
02-09-2017, 05:17 PM
The whole story stinks really fishy..and lynx get bad name out of it..smells baad.

horshur
02-09-2017, 06:50 PM
Okay so some guys will jump down my throat it was not a lynk or bobcat but a young cougar...

That said we have had bobcats this winter act quite agressive aswell..

The deep snow started to melt and the high country froze solid pushing all the predators straight into the valley bottom..

We saw numerous bobcats and multiple different cougars.. no lynk yet this year...

The cougar that killed my dog I could have shot two days before it killed my dog a couple km down the road I did not shoot it as it was a 60-80lbs well the regret is huge..

The loss is huge..

That heeler had tussled with both cougars,raccoons,bears,crack heads and even eagles as a pup she had 37 stiches when I got her from a eagle trying to pick her up as a pup..

Tough dog but is now dead...

All has been dealt with appropriately with the local cos that are top notch guys..

Just saying you let predators hang around your home this is what you get...

Ps I had a male bobcat stalk my daughter when I was with her since this incident...

I thought no way a lynx but could be a cougar....

RiverOtter
02-09-2017, 07:36 PM
The whole story stinks really fishy..and lynx get bad name out of it..smells baad.

If I knew as much about cats as you, I'd be asking questions, not giving advice....

Wild one
02-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Sorry for your loss

finngun
02-09-2017, 09:55 PM
If I knew as much about cats as you, I'd be asking questions, not giving advice....

i dont know much about cats[exept house miew] but i can sometimes smell bad air;)..but when i'm hunting i never worry about lynx or bobcat..seen only 1 lynx wild,,,beautiful animal...never wanna kill them...
never heard lynx killing a dog ..exept hunting situation...when dogs treed them they might jump down to snow..lay on they back,,dog jump on cat ,,,what happens,,cat opens dog belly in seconds..

walks with deer
02-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Finngun your missing my point of sharing this hard time...if you let predators loiter in your neighbourhood you will have problems...you clearly live in the city...I spoke to the neighbour this morning and the same cat came at her and her heeler ran it off that time...good breed. Mine would be alive if someone didn't leash it when there was no need for it.. the only thing fishy here is your wives underwear..

If your a dad you would know protecting your children is above all a priority..

Those on this site that know me know I am very experienced outdoorsman and a caring loving dad...

I am not saying blast every cat off a mountain..I am saying even if your the one encroaching don't trust a predator in your yard and deal with it accordingly.

Thanks and have a nice day

finngun
02-10-2017, 03:04 PM
sorry Walk....is i offend...ya..i no ment to do that..of coarse protecting kids is priority..i have 4...but is danger really with lynx or bobcat is something ..not so clear..?
i dont live in city,,i had wolf visit front of the house 3 winters ago....bear crap in my garden at fall,,unfortunately my living area is no shooting area..but can,t have everything..
it is always bad moment to loose ya good dog,,,i even have to kill my own dog long time go after she get sick,,one of the hardest thing in my life,,,that was time when i lived on the farm..all my childhood..///.when hunters are shooting bobcat or lynx..its fine with me..my message was ..do it legally..

walks with deer
02-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Finngun sorry my end too...

I agree do it legal.

I am in communication with cos and biologist.

I also have my wife and I tagged up..

Have a great weekend.

Good Old Outdoors
02-12-2017, 12:03 PM
That's rough WWD, sorry about your pup. You're a better man than me since you're not out killing every predator you see. I wish you and your family all the best.